Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it is possible to have two same ranking people....as long as u delegate WHEN someone can be in charge..

similiar to medical officers holding the same rank, but taking command in a medical emergency

Comment

I love Sam Carter the character, and Amanda Tapping the actress..... but in my heart of hearts I just don't beleive the character of Samantha Carter (not the actress AT), has it in her to lead the flag ship team. Shes smart, intelligent and all that good stuff, but psycologically I just don't get the upfront hardness thats needed to lead.
      Jack was a great character lead. He was honourable tough and all that good stuff, but saying that he still was a get the job done kinda guy, and could make those who lives and who has to die decisions (although he liked to offer up himself if he could for the dying parts if applicable). Samatha just doesnt seem to have that kind of edge to her.
      As someone else has said, Sam is great at what she does and has done the past 8 seaasons, but leading the team? I'm not so sure of her ability to do so. Her expertise is clear evident in her scientific endeveours. Infact it suprises me how the command of the SGC haven't ordered her to a desk job... I know I wouldn't want my resident genius out in the field.
      Abyss:

"Damn straight! I'd have busted you out, blown this rat hole to hell and made sure that sonofabitch suffered!"

"The Others would've stopped you."

"They'd have a hell of a fight on their hands."

"You wouldn't do that," Daniel tells him, shaking his head.

"Ba'al would be dead--"

"Jack--"

"And don't think I'd stop there!!"

"You're a better man than that," Daniel says calmly.

"That's where you're wrong!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wayan
        I just don't beleive the character of Samantha Carter (not the actress AT), has it in her to lead the flag ship team. Shes smart, intelligent and all that good stuff, but psycologically I just don't get the upfront hardness thats needed to lead. Samatha just doesnt seem to have that kind of edge to her. As someone else has said, Sam is great at what she does and has done the past 8 seaasons, but leading the team? I'm not so sure of her ability to do so. Her expertise is clear evident in her scientific endeveours. Infact it suprises me how the command of the SGC haven't ordered her to a desk job... I know I wouldn't want my resident genius out in the field.
        Here's where I think you err. The only thing that you say Sam is missing in order to lead is the hardness exhibited by Jack and maybe Teal'c. The error comes in assuming this to be an innate characteristic and not something that can be learned. If it's the latter, then I think we all agree that Sam can learn anything she really wants.

The job of a 2IC is much different than that of leader. The hard decisions are generally not yours to make. While there have been occasions where Sam was ordered by Jack to make the tough decision, it doesn't mean that she was incapable of making it.

The reason, of course, is two-fold. On a television show, conflict drives things forward. So, Jack, as leader, has to be shown leading and making the tough decisions. If everyone meakly falls into place, dramatic moments are lost. This doesn't, however, translate into Sam lacking the capability to make such a decision should she be so forced.

It does, though, give the writers the opportunity to add dramatic moments with Sam as the leader.

After all, what is more interesting? Pushing the reset button and letting Sam and the audience go back to where she and we were "comfortable" with a strong, tough man making all of the hard decisions? Or, putting the character we all know and love into a position where she is the one who has to order someone, (say Daniel) into making a decision he is morally opposed to, but is the "correct" decision?

If you want the former, go back to watching Stargate Seasons 1-7. We've been there, done that. The latter sets up character, it sets up conflict, it drives story.

Change is a part of life. How often is one perfect for a new job? One has to spend time in it, to grow and adapt and learn until it becomes natural. "Fake it 'til you make it."

When push comes to shove, Sam has the ability to step to the plate and deliver. It might make her smile a little less bright, but that is one of the inevitable consequences of being in command. Because she hasn't been forced to do it, doesn't mean she isn't capable.

Best,

Dems

Comment

Not only that, but a lot of times the military likes to put people in command who have the experience...

I doubt he will have as much off world experience as the Sam, let alone that if you serve with someone, admire them and have an open mind you tend to pick things up.... she could easily have turned into jacks protege without even realizing it. I would love to see how she handles situations

Comment

he can't outrank her.

1. O neil wouldn't do that.
            2. Sam has more experience.
            3. it was said that "he was promised a position on sg-1 if he surivived."
            4. a stranger doesn't just come and becomes in charge of sg-1, no one is that good in the military.

Comment

Maybe this isn't the right place for this post (forgive a mere novice in these matters), but does anyone out there know if the F-302 fighter has a name yet?

What I mean is, we have the F-15 Eagle, the F-16 Falcon, the F-18 Hornet, etc and so on.

Now, given that the fighter wing of the Prometheus (the 1st Space Fighter Wing) is designated as "The Snakeskinners" - I humbly suggest that the F-302 be called the Mongoose?

Thoughts, ladies and germs?
              Attached Files
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I like that idea!
                Linux Forever!

Comment

Originally posted by crazysmoke
                  he can't outrank her.

1. O neil wouldn't do that.
                  2. Sam has more experience.
                  3. it was said that "he was promised a position on sg-1 if he surivived."
                  4. a stranger doesn't just come and becomes in charge of sg-1, no one is that good in the military.
                  number 4 isnt entirely true because it CAN happen...rare, n almost impossible but it can...and normally u end up dead lol. If you do something, n get the highest honor, not sure if its the congressional medal of honor, but the one that you get normally when you go up against odds to defend something and normally die doing it, its the only way to jump ranks and get in higher than someone whos got more time, and even more experience and rank.

For instance, if a base was being attacked and one lone person took up a gun battery and defended the base and destroyed the attackers or held them off time and time again until help could arrive, hes going WAY beyond what he should have had to do. normally people die in those circumstances, and its why you hardly hear about people jumping rank. But it IS possible for someone to jump rank and get higher, so it could be possible someone could get THAT good, or better yet, that lucky...

Ive talked about it with a lot of people I know in the military, its kinda a common joke because normally u have to die to recieve the medal, but if you didnt...it can happen, its happened once or twice before

Comment

Originally posted by start255
                    I like that idea!
                    Muchas gracias, amigo.

One thing about BB's charatcer bothers me - given that the F-302 Mongoose (DIBS! My idea...) is a two seater aerospace fighter, one Pilot and one Navigator/Weapons Systems Operator (or Wizzo, in pilot slang), who's BB's backseater? What happened to him/her?
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Its not entirely impossible that the guy died...lol...star wars, didnt lukes co-pilot die when he crashed, n im sure its not as uncommon as someone might think for one to survive n one to die...

Comment

Originally posted by LostGodAnubis
                        Its not entirely impossible that the guy died...lol...star wars, didnt lukes co-pilot die when he crashed, n im sure its not as uncommon as someone might think for one to survive n one to die...
                        True, true...

Not only did Luke's backseater (Dack, if I remember right) in The Empire Strikes Back bite the big one, but so did Tom Cruise's wizzo in Top Gun (a young Anthony Edwards, back in the days when he had all his own hair).
                        sigpic

Comment

I was gonna use that but figured no one would be ejecting out during the fight lol..

Comment

Originally posted by LostGodAnubis
                            I was gonna use that but figured no one would be ejecting out during the fight lol..
                            Ejecting? In the middle of Antarctica? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense...

But come to think of it - maybe BB's character was recovering from a touch of frostbite?
                            sigpic

Comment

From what I've heard (I forget where. I'm old, I have a bad memory, so sue me...), Ben Browder's character in Stargate SG-1 is name Cameron "Mitch" Mitchell, callsign Mongo.

Of course this could all be a double bluff...
                              sigpic

Comment

Mongo was a joke in the Ben Browder Interview on Gateworld hehe, ben joked about having his callsign as Mongo and his Full Name being Col. Mongo Mullet

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...i-tribtv.story
                                Last edited by PoeticTragedy; 15 February 2005, 06:43 AM.
                                And all these bad dreams, I wake up to the light. And when I can't sleep, I wake up to your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X