Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm assuming it is what he was doing (leading a squadron?) in Antarctica, and the fact that sam has been a Lt Col for, what, 5 minutes?

I remember well that every minute in rank could count, in some cases it was a hotly disputed thing. Of course, we all know that colonels don't count for anythig - sergeants run the military.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Damn straight Clanger!

If it werent for the NCOs what on earth would be done? Perfect example would be the Royal Corps of Signals, its the NCOs who do all the work, setting up radios, communicating etc. The Officer just organises it.

Funny thing really, the military, everyones as vital as each other, yet NCOs are so often looked down up on

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by david2708
        I think they will need Browder's character to outrank Carter and lead the SG-1 team for season nine.
        Carter is a good team player, but she's the better part of an esemble. As a character alone, she's just not that interesting.
        I'm now ducking.

hmm, I don't know, it could be really interesting for Ben to be
        all frustrated because a woman outranks him. Maybe his
        promotion paperwork could get sidetracked for the first few
        episodes?.....

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
          I'm assuming it is what he was doing (leading a squadron?) in Antarctica, and the fact that sam has been a Lt Col for, what, 5 minutes?

I remember well that every minute in rank could count, in some cases it was a hotly disputed thing. Of course, we all know that colonels don't count for anythig - sergeants run the military.
          Amen to that....

*Mei Mei is former Sgt!*

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
            Damn straight Clanger!

If it werent for the NCOs what on earth would be done? Perfect example would be the Royal Corps of Signals, its the NCOs who do all the work, setting up radios, communicating etc. The Officer just organises it.

Funny thing really, the military, everyones as vital as each other, yet NCOs are so often looked down up on
            NCO's aren't looked down upon by their officers... Most of my officers knew the worth of their NCO's and valued it... Especially the Lt that couldn't find his posterior with both hands, a map and a compass... Good thing I was his driver...

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
              I'm still pleading ignorance. BB's character couldn't lead a squadron as a Captain?

Later,
              Graculus

Comment

Oh goodness no! Not the officers looking down on the NCOs!

What I meant is in the general public eye! I have a friend who will shortly be applying for Air Load Master in the RAF, an NCO position. Her college however, keeps telling her that she HAS to become an officer, because she's "better" than being an NCO.

Of course thats all rubbish as Im sure we'll all agree. NCO is as vital as officer.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zahncrelnik
                  hmm, I don't know, it could be really interesting for Ben to be all frustrated because a woman outranks him. Maybe his promotion paperwork could get sidetracked for the first few episodes?.....
                  ROTFL! I'd like to see this in a man who is trying really hard not to be sexist at the same time. This would be justice for all the women who are afraid to contest being passed over for a promotion at work because the boss might start labeling them as a dangerous feminist. The modern world makes it incredibly hard to point out you just deserve something...

Later,
                  Graculus

Comment

CARTER should be higher rank than BB's character. Just her 8 yrs of experience off-world speaks greater than anything that BB's character has done. And I highly doubt that BB is smarter than her. Carter is the brain when it comes to anything stargate related. Even Jack believes Carter is very smart and I think that Jack is smart but he does not let it out. (oops wrong thread)

Gatebee

Comment

On the audio commentary of "Death Knell", you will hear AT go on about how much she enjoyed playing Sam as "soldier in the field" - getting roughed up and fighting for survival. In fact, she seems to want more of this kind of development of her character, along with the ability to take Carter to a new level: competent female soldier capable of command.

Unfortunately, the past two seasons have not allowed this to happen. Instead of grooming Sam for command and "tough decisions", the writers chose to make her toughest decision revolve around an engagement ring!

I'm all for bringing BB in as a major character (if we are, indeed, losing RDA), but let's hope TPTB finally realize that Sam Carter deserves some R-E-S-P-E-C-T in S9 and a chance to do what seems true to her arc: be a military leader with a scientific background who is capable of taking her team off world and facing any and all challenges.

AT's personal life should not impact future scripts; she, herself, said that she does not want the pregnancy written into the storyline (thank God!). A more creative approach for her initial absence in S9 could provide a great source of drama/suspense: let her be held captive/injured off-world and let her team, and Jack if he's around, begin to find a way to rescue their teammate. That would allow BB to make his entrance as a needed extra member of the team and, possibly, its interim leader. Fans would care about what's happening because they are invested in Sam and the whole team dynamic would stay intact. Many of you have already expressed similar ideas on this thread.

I hope JM is lurking and pays attention to some of the fans' responses.

Sam Carter deserves to grow into the role of leader - she's ready to step up. Will the writers allow her to do so?!

Comment

ITA with the R-E-S-P-E-C-T post, and since the writers already tried the "outsider-overcoming-skepticism" approach with Jonas, it might be interesting to bring BB's character in as someone who is already appreciated, wanted, and needed.

Later,
                        Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by SlySecret
                          All these people talking about it being a demotion are crazy. She has only been in her rank for like 2 months and she is in charge of 2 people that are not even Airforce.
                          Not really, Daniel went missing for 6 months based on the Icon episode, Sam was in command for all that time, an episode during that period of time would have been appreciated though, with a rescue attempt or something.

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
                            Didn't she say something like she had received basic training as a field medic? On other occasions she's blanched when asked to provide medical services: possibly because women are often expected to be nurses.

Later,
                            Graculus
                            I remember the episode where the guys look at her when the woman is about to have a baby--as if because she's a woman she should know all about it--and she's like "don't look at me." I cracked up when it was Daniel who had help with the delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
                              It's been a long time since I've seen Voyager, but I only remember one ep with Janeway in machine gun mode. Something about aliens taking over the ship and Janeway being the only one left to fight them. Sam, on the other hand, could be kicking ass like that all the time if the writer's would let her.

Later,
                              Graculus
                              Yeah, I'd love to see Sam in that mode more often. After all, she's a career officer with loads of training and experience. Viva Sam!
                              As I recall, Janeway went through a phase where she was awfully quick with the self destruct button. But that's a different discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by david2708
                                I think they will need Browder's character to outrank Carter and lead the SG-1 team for season nine.
                                Why? Well, people will hate me for saying this but Sam simply doesn't have the charisma to carry the show as leader.
                                We know Jack has slowly turned into a complete imbecile, but RDA had the Charisma to carry the show as its leader.
                                Carter is a good team player, but she's the better part of an esemble. As a character alone, she's just not that interesting.
                                I'm now ducking.

NO!!!!!!What on earth do you have against Carter?!? SG-1 NEEDS a woman in charge. I'm not saying that because I'm a girl, I'm saying that because (as much as I love Jack as a leader) they've had a man for seven years. Give her a chance to prove herself.

I like SG-1 as a three people team, but if we've gotta see a fourth, we've gotta see a fourth. But that does NOT, in any way shape or form, mean that he has to take over from Sam.

She has way enough charisma. She's totally developed into a great character and role model and she IS gonna make a good leader. And Jack isn't an imbecile!
                                Oh yeah, you better duck! I have moldy tomatoes and I'm a good aim!

Shéyna (Pyschoveg)
                                Shéyna

Sheyna-isms: Like normal words, but better!

Pop into my myspace profile and leave me a message! If you wanna add me, message me letting me know your from gateworld first!!!www.myspace.com/sheyna_lou

XxX

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X