This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    So, my question is this: Why are you so quick to believe that a new guy, whom we haven't even seen in ANY SORT OF CAPACITY, is more deserving of the role as CO?

It makes sense (for the sake of the argument) to say that Sam shouldn't be the leader. Fine. We all interpret characters differently. OK.

But to say that a new character, who hasn't even been fully developed, deserves to be treated with higher regard... that makes absolutely no sense to me. Sorry.

~the dancer of spaz
    I don't know Panther...

Anyway, I think it's terrible, sure they need a Fighter/Leader, Science-guy/gal, Archaeologist and a true Warrior, but come on, no-one can outrank CARTER's skills, developed from going offworld. Not even this, Lt. Col. Cameron MITCHELL.
    Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
    WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

Originally posted by BritAngie
      But the same question could be asked of General Landry (Why not get General Hammond back or another previous character who could deserve the post) Or the doctor- hey why not get Janet cloned from her dna and we could have her back by some scientific miracle.("General Hammond has just reported that we have swapped the secrets of KFC's secret blend of herbs and spices for the ability to clone people with the Furlings. They have also expressed an interest in chocolate but we have warned them of it's addictive qualities.") Why not get Adam Baldwin's character back as in charge of SG1 as he has previous SG team leadership skills- or promote the poor guy who dials up the gate on a weekly basis?

It's a story- tptb over the years have introduced characters with back stories and integrated them into the show. How did everyone cope with Daniel leaving and Jonas joining? Was that a slight on Daniel? What about Jonas now gone? Was that a slight on Jonas as he could be perceieved as being pushed out with Daniel coming back? For the first 6 eps SG1 either has to have a military leader for the team or there is no SG1. As the show is called SG1 that's a no brainer as to which way they would have to go. Will Mitchell stay in charge- we don't know yet- but if he did because he was for some reason entitled to that in TPTB's reasoning then that's not the characters fault- that's the writers fault and decision. Is it a slight on Carter? If it is that's the writers decision and how they handle it. There may be good mitigating reasons,then again there may be not. Also the final thing- those who work and deal with hoping for promotion don't always get what they want. How many people here have been passed over for something they felt was rightfully theirs and suddenly someone is brought in over your head even when you were standing in or doing the job? Sadly the fact of the matter is life isnt always fair. This could be a case of that for Carter. Or it could be something far more devious that TPTB have come up with that we haven't thought of yet!
      Ahh, but see Generals Officers are chose differently. Theirs is a different job. You have to as much a manager as a commander. Probably, Landry has some experience running black operations and projects and has good people skills so he can effectively manage the operation of SGC.

Finally, I don't know you either LoveYouBaby, but who knows? It's a small world after all...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
      - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        It's funny how the convo here keeps kinda going back to the Farscape vs. SG-1 debate because this actually is the root of the problem of the argument IMHO.

I thought Farscape was a great show...a little weird at times, but I still count myself as a Farscape fan.

However...and this is key...the debate about who is best qualified to lead SG-1 has absolutely nothing to do with Farscape. It's not about Farscape. It's not about John Crichton.

It's about Cameron Mitchell...a completely new character on the SG-1 landscape who to the best of our knowledge is a brave, young guy who wants to learn from the best and join SG-1 and go explore the galaxy.

It seems that people are seeing this as a John Crichton should lead SG-1 thread...because people are thinking of Mitchell and Crichton as the same person. The fact that Ben played Crichton so compellingly is what's muddying the water here...but John Crichton and Cameron Mitchell are not one in the same...

But the fact remains that Sam Carter is the one with the experience necessary to lead SG-1 and she deserves the chance to lead more than 3 offworld episodes this season.

I'm a bit frustrated at TPTB for keeping so much about Sam's return a secret. I understand the need to create suspense...that's what drives viewers to the show. But if they replace Sam with Cam because they want to pull in Farscape viewers, they are doing the Sam Carter character, the actress and Sam fans a disservice.

It will make the addition of Ben Browder feel bittersweet and will be like a slap in the face to longterm SG-1 fans such as myself...and I certainly don't want to be put into the position of resenting his arrival.

I'd much rather enjoy the Cameron Mitchell character and watch him interact with his CO, Sam Carter...see what he learns and what they can teach each other.
        it'll be more interesting to have Sam in command because a) she's earned it b) she has the experience c) it makes no sense to demote her or punish her (and every time she would say "yes sir" to Cam, I'd have to cringe) and d) I like the idea of Sam giving orders to an alpha male character like what I imagine Cam might be.
        Great posts, Uber!
        Last edited by astrogeologist; 05 June 2005, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
          Last post, I promise!

One thing:

Whether we think Sam is leadership material or not, we can all say this: Our personal opinions are based on what we've seen from her over the past eight years. Period.

Those who think that Sam shouldn't lead are basing that on whatever they haven't liked about Sam over the 150+ eps that have aired - whether it's because she's sparkless, spineless, or whatever.

So, my question is this: Why are you so quick to believe that a new guy, whom we haven't even seen in ANY SORT OF CAPACITY, is more deserving of the role as CO?

It makes sense (for the sake of the argument) to say that Sam shouldn't be the leader. Fine. We all interpret characters differently. OK.

But to say that a new character, who hasn't even been fully developed, deserves to be treated with higher regard... that makes absolutely no sense to me. Sorry.

OK, that's it! I refuse to retort anymore until 10 pm on July 15!

~the dancer of spaz
          Thank you very much! With one short post you have managed to say what I tried to say in earlier posts way back and you have helped me grasp this debate in a clear fashion - I tried to rep you but they would not let me. I will state my position one last time for the heck of it - Carter should lead SG1 upon her returnas she did not choose to leave the team in the first place, she earned the leadership role after 7 years as 2Ic and 1 year as leader, she deserves it, she is more than capable and she has 8-10 years experience with gate travel and saving the world on a constant basis.

Comment

I REALLY don't understand why you are contradicting yourself here.

EITHER Sam chose to leave (as in requested reassignment elsewhere) OR SG-1 was disbanded and she was given new orders. Either she had a choice, or she didn't.

From what we understand, SG-1 was disbanded and she was given a special assignment (from SG-1 Solutions: At the beginning of S9, SG-1 is disbanded and everyone has gone their separate ways...until a grave event reunites them, except not all of them could come back, so Mitchell is put in place as the temporary commander of a newly-formed SG-1). Of course the reason Sam can't come back (in fact the reason she's gone in the FIRST PLACE) is due to the real life circumstances with Amanda. Therefore, this is supposed to explain why Sam is away and can't return to the SGC for the beginning of the season...so the story covers it as saying she can't come back until the "assignment" is completed. So where exactly is this choice you seem to think Sam is making? From what I see, she as an officer was given orders and she followed them.

When she returns to the SGC after completing this "assignment" however, it'll be a whole new thing...and I just have a real hard time imagining Sam going back to the 2IC position. For starters, Teal'c and Daniel and Jack wouldn't want it that way...as they all have advocated for and are comfortable with her leadership.

Now granted her style is different from Jack's...but I have every confidence that she is more than capable of becoming an even better team leader and am looking forward to the chance to see it.
            I am not contradicting myself. Do you REALLY think they would disband SG-1 if the members hadn't quit the team?
            Thye haven't abandoned the gate program, but they are going to take their best, most experienced and skilled team and disband them??
            No way. THe ONLY way I can see SG-1 being disbanded is at SG-1's request.
            SO THAT IS THE CHOICE SHE HAS MADE AND I"VE SAID IT 100 TIMES NOW.
            And you should watch your tone. Everythjing you write is comes across as an attack and quite frankly, has spoiled my enjoyment of this debate.

Comment

Originally posted by BritAngie
              Also the final thing- those who work and deal with hoping for promotion don't always get what they want. How many people here have been passed over for something they felt was rightfully theirs and suddenly someone is brought in over your head even when you were standing in or doing the job? Sadly the fact of the matter is life isnt always fair. This could be a case of that for Carter. Or it could be something far more devious that TPTB have come up with that we haven't thought of yet!
              Thank you.
              I've been saying that for weeks now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
                I am not contradicting myself. Do you REALLY think they would disband SG-1 if the members hadn't quit the team?
                Thye haven't abandoned the gate program, but they are going to take their best, most experienced and skilled team and disband them??
                And you should watch your tone. Everythjing you write is comes across as an attack and quite frankly, has spoiled my enjoyment of this debate.
                The ONLY way.

So the budget of the SGC wasn't cut drastically by the government and TPTB in the government didn't decide that it would be necessary to reduce SG teams because the Goa'uld had been essentially defeated as had the replicators.

It was all Sam's choice. She wasn't told that the team had been disbanded and she wasn't given orders to report elsewhere. She just decided it was time to move on.

And there isn't a grave event that reunites them except for Sam, nor is Mitchell put in place as the temporary commander of a newly-formed SG-1 until Sam's return to deal with the emergency.

Okie dokie.
                Last edited by Uber; 05 June 2005, 02:21 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

The ONLY way.

So the budget of the SGC wasn't cut drastically by the government and TPTB in the government didn't decide that it would be necessary to reduce SG teams because the Goa'uld had been essentially defeated as had the replicators.

It was all Sam's choice. She wasn't told that the team had been disbanded and she wasn't given orders to report elsewhere. She just decided it was time to move on.

And there isn't a grave event that reunites them except for Sam, nor is Mitchell put in place as the temporary commander of a newly-formed SG-1 until Sam's return to deal with the emergency.

Okie dokie.
                  Actually the budget is cut early S9, so no, it wasn't.
                  It wasn't all Sam's choice. It was also Daniel's and Teal'c's.
                  I think she did decide to move on. In the military, you CAN REQUEST A TRANSFER.
                  It's possible that happened you know.
                  And even if they reduced the SG teams, you do not get rid of your best and brightest for an arbitrary reason.
                  ah forget this. You don't want to actually discuss anything, just take shots at people.

Comment

And as for my tone, I'm usually upbeat and poppy...ask anyone. I just get my knickers in a twist when I think that people are suggesting that one of my favorite characters take one in the chest for the sake of bringing on fans of a different franchise.

Besides, the debate is really moot. According to the info we have so far, Cam's there temporarily until Sam returns...so unless TPTB change their minds (which they NEVER do)...what any of us think one way or the other here is irrelevant.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

And as for my tone, I'm usually upbeat and poppy...ask anyone. I just get my knickers in a twist when I think that people are suggesting that one of my favorite characters take one in the chest for the sake of bringing on fans of a different franchise.

Besides, the debate is really moot. According to the info we have so far, Cam's there temporarily until Sam returns...so unless TPTB change their minds (which they NEVER do)...what any of us think one way or the other here is irrelevant.
                      Ah well, that makes it ok then?
                      It's obvious you like the character, but I'd prefer NOT to be attacked for my opinion. I've respected your opinion, please respect mine.
                      If you can't do that, don't post replies to my posts anymore.

What info do you have that says Cam is there till Sam returns? Cuase the feeling I got was that Cam is in charge, full stop.
                      What we think here is irrelevant anyway, TPTB don't listen to us.
                      Doesn't mean we can't have fun talking about it.

Comment

It's obvious you like the character, but I'd prefer NOT to be attacked for my opinion. I've respected your opinion, please respect mine.

What info do you have that says Cam is there till Sam returns? Cuase the feeling I got was that Cam is in charge, full stop.
                        Great! Your last line says it all, we're here to have FUN discussing SG-1, SGA, etc. We're not here to step on toes or have our feelings hurt. OK? OK.

I guess you have to put me in the Sam in charge category. I'm fine with Cam onboard in SG-1, I'm sure he's got all the right qualifications (and his looks don't hurt either), however, as for his being in command, temporary is fine, permanent, hmmmmmmm, no.

Comment

Hey we all get passionate about what we like/believe in. It's all good.

Regarding the quote about Cam, all I got is the info from SG-1 Solutions...

It's under : S9 Spoilers: Shanks, Judge at Creation Con:

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/ip...ndex.php?cat=3

Comment

Hey we all get passionate about what we like/believe in. It's all good.

Regarding the quote about Cam, all I got is the info from SG-1 Solutions...

It's under : S9 Spoilers: Shanks, Judge at Creation Con:

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/ip...ndex.php?cat=3
                            is it this quote?
                            In response, Shanks made mention of the fact that he wasn’t really his C.O., and said there was a running joke about his and Ben’s physical similarities.
                            Cuase I read that as Daniel saying that he's not military, not the Mitchell isn't in charge.
                            I can see where you'd go either way tho

Comment

is it this quote?
                              In response, Shanks made mention of the fact that he wasn’t really his C.O., and said there was a running joke about his and Ben’s physical similarities.
                              Cuase I read that as Daniel saying that he's not military, not the Mitchell isn't in charge.
                              I can see where you'd go either way tho
                              Actually it was this quote:

Until a grave event reunites them, except not all of them could come back, so Mitchell is put in place as the temporary commander of a newly-formed SG-1. Amanda Tapping, who plays Carter, is currently on maternity leave and is expected to be out of the show until mid-May.

Comment

Actually it was this quote:

Until a grave event reunites them, except not all of them could come back, so Mitchell is put in place as the temporary commander of a newly-formed SG-1. Amanda Tapping, who plays Carter, is currently on maternity leave and is expected to be out of the show until mid-May.
                                Hmm, never saw taht one. WHo said it?

Comment

Working...
                                X