• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lightsabre
    Hmm, never saw taht one. WHo said it?
    Here's the rest of that bit...I'm guessing either MS or CJ said it:

S9 Spoilers: Shanks, Judge at Creation Con [Episode Spoilers]

More tidbits on the Season 9 premiere three parter “Avalon” [Robert Cooper] from the appearance of Michael Shanks and Christopher Judge at this weekend’s Grand Slam Creation Convention:

At the beginning of S9, SG-1 is disbanded and everyone has gone their separate ways. Daniel is sporting a beard! In the first 5 episodes SG-1 doesn’t operate so much as a team, but do involve Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell (Ben Browder), Daniel, Teal’c, and Vala (Claudia Black).

The Vala story arc will last for six episodes [rather than the originally estimated five] but Daniel and Vala, will probably not “get together” in the end.

There is likely to be a crossover story line between SG-1 and Atlantis at about midseason.

Until a grave event reunites them, except not all of them could come back, so Mitchell is put in place as the temporary commander of a newly-formed SG-1. Amanda Tapping, who plays Carter, is currently on maternity leave and is expected to be out of the show until mid-May.

Shanks said that Jack and Sam are not together in response to a question about the two having retired to marry.

Jack O'Neill is at Homeworld Security in D.C. It seems that the SGC has been downsized because of the defeats of the Goa'uld, Replicators, and Anubis.

We don’t know what triggers the reunion, but Vala [Claudia Black, Prometheus Unbound] is in the picture somehow.

Also, there is a female character named Sallis [April Telek] who appears in Parts 2 and 3 of the Season 9 three-part opener “Avalon”.

Lexa Doig is credited in the IMDB database entry on Stargate SG-1 with a guest appearance in the season premiere “Avalon” along with Claude Knowlton as another medical doctor. Her character is credited as CMO Landry [she is General Landry’s daughter] but writer and Executive Producer Joseph Mallozzi told fans that the character was called Dr. Carolyn Lam.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Here's the rest of that bit...I'm guessing either MS or CJ said it:

S9 Spoilers: Shanks, Judge at Creation Con [Episode Spoilers]

More tidbits on the Season 9 premiere three parter “Avalon” [Robert Cooper] from the appearance of Michael Shanks and Christopher Judge at this weekend’s Grand Slam Creation Convention:

At the beginning of S9, SG-1 is disbanded and everyone has gone their separate ways. Daniel is sporting a beard! In the first 5 episodes SG-1 doesn’t operate so much as a team, but do involve Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell (Ben Browder), Daniel, Teal’c, and Vala (Claudia Black).

The Vala story arc will last for six episodes [rather than the originally estimated five] but Daniel and Vala, will probably not “get together” in the end.

There is likely to be a crossover story line between SG-1 and Atlantis at about midseason.

Until a grave event reunites them, except not all of them could come back, so Mitchell is put in place as the temporary commander of a newly-formed SG-1. Amanda Tapping, who plays Carter, is currently on maternity leave and is expected to be out of the show until mid-May.

Shanks said that Jack and Sam are not together in response to a question about the two having retired to marry.

Jack O'Neill is at Homeworld Security in D.C. It seems that the SGC has been downsized because of the defeats of the Goa'uld, Replicators, and Anubis.

We don’t know what triggers the reunion, but Vala [Claudia Black, Prometheus Unbound] is in the picture somehow.

Also, there is a female character named Sallis [April Telek] who appears in Parts 2 and 3 of the Season 9 three-part opener “Avalon”.

Lexa Doig is credited in the IMDB database entry on Stargate SG-1 with a guest appearance in the season premiere “Avalon” along with Claude Knowlton as another medical doctor. Her character is credited as CMO Landry [she is General Landry’s daughter] but writer and Executive Producer Joseph Mallozzi told fans that the character was called Dr. Carolyn Lam.
      Hmm, well, it does seem to lend weight to your argument, I'll admit that.
      At the risk of seeming to cling to mine in the face of evidence, I'll just say that things could have changed.

Comment

The debate isn't about what is going on in the SGC. It's about the the stargate franchise bringing Browder to get a bigger fan base. There is going to be alot of other people watching Stargate this year simply because he is in it. That is a FACT.
        Now the debate is pissing off hardcore Stargate fans that have seen every episode since it first aired by bringing in someone to boosed rating and kicking someone to the curb to satisfy them. That right there is wrong. How would you like it if jack took over Johnny's job and he was kickd to the curb on his show.
        Now don't be childish and say "O but this is about Carter not O'Niell. Because Carter is in command of SG-1 now. I just took the lead from one show and put them on another. Ironic isn't it.
        So please stop bickering.
        *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
        *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
        *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
        *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
        *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
        *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
        *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
          The debate isn't about what is going on in the SGC. It's about the the stargate franchise bringing Browder to get a bigger fan base. There is going to be alot of other people watching Stargate this year simply because he is in it. That is a FACT.
          I thought this topic was about characters on sg1 (clue being in the title of this thread. ) and if Mitchell will be the leader or not. In this debate it's irrelevant who's playing him. As for TPTB wanting the Farscape fanbase- why them? Why not for instance the Star Trek fanbase? Why didn't they say employ Scott Bakula or (oh look we already have Jolene Blalock!!) some other Trek actor as a main character? (William Shatner for Mitchell anyone? ) The star trek fanbase is bigger than Farscape's. Hm what about Star wars? Let's see if Hayden Christensen wants a part or Natalie Portman? That would pull ratings. Hey what about the Andromeda fans or the X files fans? Surely TPTB must be courting them too by employing Mitch Pileggi,William B Davis and Lexa Doig? Bottom line is they (including Ben and Claudia) are all fine actors who need to make a living and who impressed Stargate's TPTB enough to win parts on the show. If we get any extra viewers as a result of that casting (which is innevitable if *any* actor who has been on any other show or movie- regardless of how famous) then that's just extra gravy and a great perk as far as I'm concerned!

Now the debate is pissing off hardcore Stargate fans that have seen every episode since it first aired by bringing in someone to boosed rating and kicking someone to the curb to satisfy them. That right there is wrong. How would you like it if jack took over Johnny's job and he was kickd to the curb on his show.
          Now don't be childish and say "O but this is about Carter not O'Niell. Because Carter is in command of SG-1 now. I just took the lead from one show and put them on another. Ironic isn't it.
          But the actor who has played Jack has left the show. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if RDA hadn't decided to call it quits. If Ben had left Farscape and TPTB decided to bring in RDA as a replacement (highly unlikely as it was shot in Australia!) then there would be some who would whine but then there would be those who would say- okay let's wait and see what Farscape's TPTB do with it because it's not their fault that the lead actor decided to leave. The same as it's not SG1's TPTB that RDA has decided to go.

Comment

Lord Monk
            This debate is about what the title says, the respective ranks of Carter and Mitchell.
            YOu want to argue about Browder coming on, go start a new thread.
            ANd we're not bickering, we're debateing. That is waht a discussion thread is for.

Comment

if i read the reports right browder is coming in as the same rank as carter...she should lead the missions,she has the seniority in off world missions...but show mitchell has the military savvy needed to get them out of combat trouble and still show how carter can keep "pulling brilliant ideas out of her butt".....

Comment

Enough with the speculation!
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

... and kicking someone to the curb to satisfy them. That right there is wrong.
                  No one's been kicked to the kerb, as far as anyone knows for sure. If there's kerbs and kicking we'll not know for sure until at least July but probably September or later.

In the meantime we're just all sharing our opinions on what the onscreen result of the combination of Mitchell and Carter should be

Madeleine

Comment

It's about the the stargate franchise bringing Browder to get a bigger fan base.
                    That's part of it. Actually, it's a whole other debate in itself and not really the particular concern of this one. But it comes up in this discussion, yes, because there are fears that the Mitchell/Carter question will be resolved (or has been resolved) according to what will best please the incoming 'Farscape' fans.

Assuming we know what kind of demands or expectations the ‘Farscape’ fans are bringing with them.

Now don't be childish and say "O but this is about Carter not O'Niell. Because Carter is in command of SG-1 now.
                    It became "about Carter" the minute it began to look as though she might not be in command of SG-1 next year. Some have concluded she will be, based on certain spoiler sources, the way some things have been worded and what's not being said; others feel her command is in doubt, based on other spoiler sources, a suspicious tidbit or two and the other side of what's not being said.

When RCC describes Mitchell as "getting the band back together," and Carter as being simply the last to "come around," eyebrows get raised and Carter's role becomes, at the very least, an additional concern for some fans.

Granted, depending how you look at things, I suppose it is O’Neill, primarily, that Mitchell is “replacing,” in the “spiritual” sense. Because, even though Carter was the prescribed leader of SG-1 last season, O’Neill was still very much the “head of the family.” For all the other vital and useful and entertaining things he pulled out of his hat over the years, anchoring the team is what Jack did: He provided a solid foundation, held onto the kite strings, while the other characters did things like blow up a sun, become an after-hours superhero or ascend to higher plane of existence.

And he continued in that role last season. The show revolved more around the SGC so that Jack, even as general, could continue to function in that capacity - and ‘Icon,’ one of the episodes that keeps being touted as evidence of Carter’s superior command abilities, is one of the stronger examples of this being done (picture that episode in Season 5 and try to imagine Jack playing the same role, relative to Hammond, that Carter played relative to Jack here – it wouldn’t have happened). Sam might have been the technical “leader of the team” – giving her some new bits of “stage business” to perform – but Jack was still their pillar, the post to which the wild horses were tied.

So, yes, when one such character leaves the scene and TPTB bring in a new actor, a fairly well-known, critically adored actor with solid experience behind him as the anchor character on a critically adored show, then it does bear all the markings of a straight swap (with, perhaps, a change in the running metaphor, the “head of the family” becoming Jake Blues, rounding the band up from the “four winds” to which they’ve scattered): O’Neill out - of the actor's own volition, no kicking to the curb involved - Mitchell in.

But that aspect of it all hasn’t really been delved into all that much, and you still can’t delve into it too far without asking “Whither Carter?”

Because the anchor character on the show has, over the years, held down one of two jobs: Seven years as SG-1 team leader, one year as base CO. The job of base CO has been filled and it seems fairly evident that, given a choice, TPTB would prefer to have that character holding down the SG-1 leader job and, um…that job isn’t exactly vacant.

Or wasn’t, as of the end of Season 8.

And I can sit here all I like thinking, as long as Carter’s role as one of the show’s pre-eminent “wild horses” isn’t diminished, her job title isn’t all that important, in the great scheme of things (i.e., story-wise), and be more interested in seeing “a character played by the fabulous Ben Browder” built from the ground up to fill that kind of role than I am in seeing the too-vanilla-for-my-taste Carter re-vamped to suit it – goody for me! – but there are still issues a-plenty that need addressing.

The question of how credible it is to have the new guy’s eagerness, availability and off-screen heroics trump Carter’s experience with the team; how naive it is to think, all military questions aside, that a series of convenient “life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans” events could make such a changing of the guard painless (never mind universally accepted); and the matter of the perfectly reasonable expectations, among some fans, that the promotion to SG-1 leader meant that Carter would be taken in a new direction as a character, expectations that took enough of a beating in Season 8 and are not going to be relinquished without argument.

None of which has anything to do with O’Neill.

Tucker

Comment

Here's an interesting thing from SFX magazine:
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/SFX132-3.jpg
                      from this thread:
                      SG1 - SFX Magazine # 132 - June 2005 - SG1's Season Nine

"One shining star who will be returning....is Amanda Tapping as Colonel Sam Carter."

So is it a typo or....

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                        Here's an interesting thing from SFX magazine:
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/SFX132-3.jpg
                        from this thread:
                        SG1 - SFX Magazine # 132 - June 2005 - SG1's Season Nine

"One shining star who will be returning....is Amanda Tapping as Colonel Sam Carter."

So is it a typo or....
                        It would be highly unlikely that she would receive yet another promotion so soon, especially as it is not all that easy to attain the rank of full colonel. However, it would be nice..... Guess we can ask Joe and not get an answer or just wait until Beach Head airs. When will that be? In August???? ARGHHHHH!!!

Edit: It was a typo, if you look at the GW interview with JM, he states Lt. Col. Samantha Carter.....phew.

Comment

Originally posted by Atteria
                          It would be highly unlikely that she would receive yet another promotion so soon, especially as it is not all that easy to attain the rank of full colonel. However, it would be nice..... Guess we can ask Joe and not get an answer or just wait until Beach Head airs. When will that be? In August???? ARGHHHHH!!!

Edit: It was a typo, if you look at the GW interview with JM, he states Lt. Col. Samantha Carter.....phew.
                          Lt Col. are often called Col. too.
                          Unless there's full colnels around!

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
                            Lt Col. are often called Col. too.
                            Unless there's full colnels around!
                            I know that, but the rank still shows. And she remains a Lt. Col. for the time being, which ain't bad.

AND BB's character will be a Lt. Col., so they should be able to call each by their first names.....right. Somehow it's hard to picture Sam speaking to someone without saying "sir". j/k

Comment

Originally posted by Atteria
                              I know that, but the rank still shows. And she remains a Lt. Col. for the time being, which ain't bad.

AND BB's character will be a Lt. Col., so they should be able to call each by their first names.....right. Somehow it's hard to picture Sam speaking to someone without saying "sir". j/k
                              LOL!
                              Stargate Drinking Game: Shot glass everytime Carter says sir - you'd be drunk halfway through the episode!

Comment

For all we know he is only replacing her while she is on leave or reasigned. (having a baby in real life) The best thing we can do is just wait and watch. After all, it isn't what we think it is what the writers write. LOL!!!
                                *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                                *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                                *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                                *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                                *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                                *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                                *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Working...
                                X