This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord You
    Beat me to it... Here's my post in case the other one gets closed.

It does seem that Carter loses command of SG-1 to Ben Browder's characher. Although both are Lieutenant Colonels, Browder gets his pick of commands due to some action he performed off-screen (probably in the second half of season 8). I guess that he also has seniority in the Air Force but the proof hasn't been spoiled yet.

THIS PISSES ME OFF!!! Carter has helped save the Earth how many times now? She should have been promoted long ago along with Lieutenant General O'Neil. Carter, along with the rest of the origional SG-1 members, also has more experience with off-world situations than anyone else on the planet!

I will only accept Browder as commander if his post is temporary as Carter is indisposed (i.e. recovering from injuries or illness).
    Exactly, but with what I suspect are new writers (and bad ones too) presiding over the writing of this my show, this terrifying suggestion as to BB and AT's characters will surely not be the last of the footwear to fall.
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

it's possible that BB will be the CO of sg-1 only until sam comes back and is able to take her command back

of course, it's also possible that this literaly IS some sort of punishment on the behalf of MGM and Skiffy. I think that they're wanting to revamp the show totally. They want stargate to turn into babes, butts, boobs and bombs...and anyone who won't play along in that will get shoved to the wayside.

I don't think skiffy will be happy until stargate is nothing more than a farscape clone. or andromeda clone. they don't need or want plots or continuity....they just want to appeal to the lowest common denominator, which is the young male demographic, heavy on action, heavy on sex, light on everything else
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

^ LOL, wow, that sounds horrifying.
        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by SGTLopez
          Am I the only one who thinks Carter should not command SG-1?

Someone said earlier that Carter has saved the world many times over and been with SG-1 for so long, so she deserves to be the CO. Well, it doesn't work that way in the Military. You don't get the job because you've been doing it for longer than the guy next to you. You get it because you kissed enough butt to get it...or you are more qualified for the position.

Sam is a great leader but she still has a lot to learn about making the really tough choices. Jack constantly proved he could do the job but Carter sometimes swayed me the wrong way with her morality and her crying. "Crying?! There is no crying in the Air Force!" (Actual quote from TSGT Seargent. I swear to god that's his name.)

She would make an excellent leader for a technical/scientific team, but not for the premier SG unit that sees combat on a regular basis.
          Totally agree with this. I think she's made some bad command decisions in S9 (Gemini and others) and I really don't think she's fit for command. I hate what TPTB have done to her character over the past couple of years. I think she'd now be much beter suited to technichal/scientific, That's where her real strength lies, not with command. I'm really sorry that they have destroyed Carter's character so much that it makes me think all this, but that's the way I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor999
            And if Ben Bowder will (and I believe that he will) replace RDA as the new name over the titel...
            I gotta say that I don't think that's gonna happen. Not ever - THANK GOD! I don't want ANYONE'S name over the titles. Heh heh. There's only one man who deserved that title, and I say he DESERVED it, because I think he stopped being the driving force of the fanbase after season one - but that's a totally different story, eh?

Anyway, it causes too much controversy, and I honestly don't think that it could be done fairly, or in a way where 50,000 hardcore fans wouldn't be in an uproar, if you catch my drift.

If TPTB could just ditch the whole "name over the titles" role after this season, that would be FANTASTIC.

And if BB's name isn't AFTER Christopher Judge's, Michael Shanks', AND Amanda Tapping's, I'm gonna have some issues - serious, moral issues.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              I gotta say that I don't think that's gonna happen. Not ever - THANK GOD! I don't want ANYONE'S name over the titles. Heh heh. There's only one man who deserved that title, and I say he DESERVED it, because I think he stopped being the driving force of the fanbase after season one - but that's a totally different story, eh?

Anyway, it causes too much controversy, and I honestly don't think that it could be done fairly, or in a way where 50,000 hardcore fans wouldn't be in an uproar, if you catch my drift.

If TPTB could just ditch the whole "name over the titles" role after this season, that would be FANTASTIC.

And if BB's name isn't AFTER Christopher Judge's, Michael Shanks', AND Amanda Tapping's, I'm gonna have some issues - serious, moral issues.

here here, I think that whole thing is ridiculous. They're all a team, there shouldn't be one big person who they use to try and get viewers (RDA was the main character kind of yeah, but he was also the most known of them)

If BB gets his name over it, I think I actually would actually have a heart attack...
              The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
              |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                Just want to add my support to the Sam should be CO camp.

I have my worries that TPTB brought in BB for his popularity on Farscape, thus adding to the Stargate fan base, and then had to create a character for him. Perhaps BB may only have been willing to sign if he got a high profile role??

In my view they should create a character that provides a solid grounding for the other characters to to develop, to move in a slightly different direction, but still keeping the essence of SG1 being tight knit "family" (and providing a base for further seasons). Don't forget the remaining 3 have been at it for 8 years and a slight shift in emphasis would be welcome I'm sure. Then they should cast for that specific character. This doesn't mean to say I'm right, cause I don't know, they may have asked BB after a character was thought of.

However, getting back to topic. If BB is the CO I'm not sure where Carter's character development will come from. She's back in the same position as season 1 to 6 in terms of team position and still has 3 male team members to work with.
                I'm all for Carter being the CO. I think she will be good at it. She is good at taking charge and giving orders to everyone (under the control of Hammond) when there is some crisis at the SGC.
                With SG1 's important role they need a crack team so don't have a problem with 2 members of high rank, the new character will add a tactical strength hopefully.
                We'll just have to wait and see what happend, but I shall be very disapointed if Carter does not lead.
                I think Carter has what it takes to lead SG1 if they don't try it they'll never know. She has a strong character and has been very believable in her position. After all she did help save earth over and over.

Comment

At this point, I just don't think that's gonna happen.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Wow. How intriguing to see this thread.

This was back in the day we couldn't imagine an SG-1 without Sam leading and assumed that TPTB saw it the same way.

Now look where we are...smack dab in the middle of a bonafide mess because someone somewhere needed to cram a leading man down our throats and had no problem shuffling Sam off to the side to do so regardless of how nonsensical the backstory and reasoning is.

Funny how all the people who said she'd be screwed over were right.

How tragically pathetic.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Cram cam.!!!! hahahahahahahahaha....cram cam, cam cram. ahahahahahahahhaa...... I kill myself.
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                        Cram cam.!!!! hahahahahahahahaha....cram cam, cam cram. ahahahahahahahhaa...... I kill myself.
                        Crameron Mitchell...

Man this is scary. LOL

So many people thought that TPTB wouldn't be so stupid as to shuffle Carter off to the side full time for the new guy and they were wrong. They thought Cam would be leading temporarily, and they were wrong. They thought his involvement on the team would make sense, and they were wrong...

And now RCC says he doesn't know what to do with the Carter character? Hey, here's an idea. We could go with logic for a sec and make her the team leader as opposed to some guy who's a poor fit and doesn't seem to have any real leadership skills or any gate experience supposedly leading this team. They could make Sam the emotional focal point...I mean, Amanda certainly has the depth to pull that off. But then either of these things would essentially make her the main character, and they can't possibly do that. I mean, a WOMAN leading the team and the show??? Perish the thought. Sorry if that sounds like a feminist diatribe because I'm not a feminist but it just seems they have a mental picture of what formula would work for the team and the show and clearly Sam growing in her new capacity as team leader wasn't it.

To them it made more sense it seems to CRAM a new "leading" guy into the mix and all of fandom would embrace him regardless of how ridiculous or implausible it was for him to be there in the first place much less leading the team.
                        Last edited by Uber; 12 November 2005, 02:15 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          Wow. How intriguing to see this thread.

This was back in the day we couldn't imagine an SG-1 without Sam leading and assumed that TPTB saw it the same way.

Now look where we are...smack dab in the middle of a bonafide mess because someone somewhere needed to cram a leading man down our throats and had no problem shuffling Sam off to the side to do so regardless of how nonsensical the backstory and reasoning is.

Funny how all the people who said she'd be screwed over were right.

How tragically pathetic.
                          Uber, way to go - redirecting us to this thread almost a year after the posts had gone up.

Wow, I just read through them and you are right ... mostly everyone's worst-case scenario has come to pass: the high road was not taken; the character of Sam has been dissed and diminished; there is no sense of team, let alone leadership through first half of S9; BB, eager to be a part of the new show, seems to be feeling the super-hype and his portrayal does not carry the screen presence that he is capable of; Teal'c has been given a few weighty speeches at the High Council, other than that, he hasn't been utilized well; the "T&A" (excuse my use of a crude term but it seems to fit) mentality has been fully promoted - we've added burlesque in place of drama, at the expense of almost turning Daniel into a caricature and reducing CB to a one-dimensional practical joke, comedy central instead of character development; and, into this fine kettle of soup, Sam returns. "Not exactly" become the operative words regarding her leadership and her interpersonal relationships.

Is there a grand vision in all this? What saddens me is that, for the first time in all the seasons of Stargate, I find myself not caring. Someone's lost the map and the road ahead looks mighty bumpy to me. I'll keep my compass handy, but it's not looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            Uber, way to go - redirecting us to this thread almost a year after the posts had gone up.

Wow, I just read through them and you are right ... mostly everyone's worst-case scenario has come to pass: the high road was not taken; the character of Sam has been dissed and diminished; there is no sense of team, let alone leadership through first half of S9; BB, eager to be a part of the new show, seems to be feeling the super-hype and his portrayal does not carry the screen presence that he is capable of; Teal'c has been given a few weighty speeches at the High Council, other than that, he hasn't been utilized well; the "T&A" (excuse my use of a crude term but it seems to fit) mentality has been fully promoted - we've added burlesque in place of drama, at the expense of almost turning Daniel into a caricature and reducing CB to a one-dimensional practical joke, comedy central instead of character development; and, into this fine kettle of soup, Sam returns. "Not exactly" become the operative words regarding her leadership and her interpersonal relationships.

Is there a grand vision in all this? What saddens me is that, for the first time in all the seasons of Stargate, I find myself not caring. Someone's lost the map and the road ahead looks mighty bumpy to me. I'll keep my compass handy, but it's not looking good.
                            Wow. Me too.

If this is what they have in mind, to diminish Sam for the sake of boosting Vala to the team? *shudder* That's just tragic.

So there's no room for a strong, non-witchy leading female who uses integrity, wisdom and determination to solve problems...it's all about vamping it up I guess...

And Mitchell. Hey it doesn't matter he has no personality at all because they've got their leading man right?

I want to like Mitchell and Vala...but it's like TPTB are forcing me to resent them because they have a vision of a new and improved SG-1 where strong, honorable female heroes are too complex to write for.

Comment

in many ways vala does have potential. there are aspects of her that match aspects of sam. the ex-host for example.

we know that goauld prolong the lives of their hosts, so how old is vala really? is she gonna give teal'c a run for his money in the longevity department?

we could see a much more developed 'kendra'...an ex-host facing up to things her goauld did. can they make reparation? are they responsible for that?

however, given how vala has been portrayed thus far i'm afraid that they won't take that tact with her. because that is a lot harder to do...and isn't topically interesting. such an involved story would take months and months to build up. and that's not what scifi seems to be interested in that kind of work. they like the fast and dirty, something shallow and easy to get into. and sexy vala is that.

time will tell which tact they take (or are allowed to take)

my perference, since vala joining seems to be a foregone conclusion, would be to see the in depth story idea. to me, that would be interesting. and if sam is to be replaced by vala, i'd at least like her to be replaced by something interesting

i'm not watching any of the re-runs on friday nights....and the fact that the focus is sexy vala is why. she doesn't interest me
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                in many ways vala does have potential. there are aspects of her that match aspects of sam. the ex-host for example.

we know that goauld prolong the lives of their hosts, so how old is vala really? is she gonna give teal'c a run for his money in the longevity department?

we could see a much more developed 'kendra'...an ex-host facing up to things her goauld did. can they make reparation? are they responsible for that?

however, given how vala has been portrayed thus far i'm afraid that they won't take that tact with her. because that is a lot harder to do...and isn't topically interesting. such an involved story would take months and months to build up. and that's not what scifi seems to be interested in that kind of work. they like the fast and dirty, something shallow and easy to get into. and sexy vala is that.

time will tell which tact they take (or are allowed to take)

my perference, since vala joining seems to be a foregone conclusion, would be to see the in depth story idea. to me, that would be interesting. and if sam is to be replaced by vala, i'd at least like her to be replaced by something interesting

i'm not watching any of the re-runs on friday nights....and the fact that the focus is sexy vala is why. she doesn't interest me

Question for everyone: Okay, so far, worst case scenario now is that Carter is split equally between SG-1 and SGA. If this happens, how is Vala "replacing" Sam in the Stargate universe? When Sam is on Atlantis, obviously Vala is not there. When Sam is on SG-1, she may have more front and center time, with Vala in the background. So what does it mean for Vala to replace Sam? And if Sam is in more like 17 episodes in SG-1, which may be more likely, then how is Vala replacing Sam?

Comment

Working...
                                X