This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Carter / AT - S9

I have heard that BB is going to play a Lt. Col. on the show, effectivly having the same rank as Carter. Now, I certainly hope the PTB don't think this will be easily resolved, because as a character, Sam has (IMO) earned the new command of SG1. And it's completely unfair of them to do this to the character. As a fan of Carter, I am unhappy at this prospect.

Now, of course, we know why Sam isn't going to be around in the first few eps of S9, but again, the PTB should not punish AT, who is very passionate about her character and her development on the show, by basically stepping on the characters toes with the introduction of BB's character.

As a woman who has had two children, and gone on FMLA both times, I for one at least always knew I had my _same_ job coming back both times. I don't think it's fair if the PTB essentially screw Carter by effectively demoting her while AT is gone.

I hope I made my point across - I'm kinda mad thinking about this, so...I tend to babble. Anyway, that's just how I'm feeling about the whole thing.

Beat me to it... Here's my post in case the other one gets closed.

It does seem that Carter loses command of SG-1 to Ben Browder's characher. Although both are Lieutenant Colonels, Browder gets his pick of commands due to some action he performed off-screen (probably in the second half of season 8). I guess that he also has seniority in the Air Force but the proof hasn't been spoiled yet.

THIS PISSES ME OFF!!! Carter has helped save the Earth how many times now? She should have been promoted long ago along with Lieutenant General O'Neil. Carter, along with the rest of the origional SG-1 members, also has more experience with off-world situations than anyone else on the planet!

I will only accept Browder as commander if his post is temporary as Carter is indisposed (i.e. recovering from injuries or illness).

Comment

Originally posted by whisper99
      I have heard that BB is going to play a Lt. Col. on the show, effectivly having the same rank as Carter. Now, I certainly hope the PTB don't think this will be easily resolved, because as a character, Sam has (IMO) earned the new command of SG1. And it's completely unfair of them to do this to the character. As a fan of Carter, I am unhappy at this prospect.

Now, of course, we know why Sam isn't going to be around in the first few eps of S9, but again, the PTB should not punish AT, who is very passionate about her character and her development on the show, by basically stepping on the characters toes with the introduction of BB's character.

As a woman who has had two children, and gone on FMLA both times, I for one at least always knew I had my _same_ job coming back both times. I don't think it's fair if the PTB essentially screw Carter by effectively demoting her while AT is gone.

I hope I made my point across - I'm kinda mad thinking about this, so...I tend to babble. Anyway, that's just how I'm feeling about the whole thing.
      I feel what you feel, however I doubt this will happen - or maybe it's just my wishful thinking - but if it does happen it would indeed be dissrespectful as a fan .. me believes.

Well the best you can do now is - not think about it Nothing is sure yet since they havent even begun filming

Comment

It's interesting to see how they will handle this situation. I was really hoping BB would come on as a Major instead of Lt. Colonel, but look what happened. Hmm...

He might command SG-1 in the first few episodes, pending the return of Col. Carter, and then step back when she comes back into the picture. But it is a little strange to have two officers of the same rank with 2 different positions on the SG-1 team. Who knows? Maybe he'll lead SG-2 or some other unit that has to collaborate with SG-1 a lot? This is sticky.

It seems to me (based on what I've heard) that this character's been a "desk jockey" the past few years or we would've "seen more of him." Maybe he has the same rank, but not quite the same field capacity???

Comment

Actually, I just thought of another possibility, given the events in Moebius that I have gathered...it's a frightening thought (to me) but it would explain some possible storylines.

Spoiler:
          In Moebius, there are 2 SG-1's running around, supposedly the original with Col. Carter, and the alt team with a Dr. Carter (no military rank). Is it possible that we lose Col. Carter somehow and return with the Dr. Carter, thus requiring a new military presence in command of SG-1? On top of that, the frat regs between O'Neill and Carter might then just disappear, fixing that problem for the shippers as well.
          This isn't how I want it to go down, but it seems conceivable...

Comment

First of all, consider this: Currently, SG-1 is comprised of Carter, Teal'c, and Daniel. While Carter is military, Teal'c and Daniel are not. If someone else is put in charge of SG-1, it is my belief that it won't be for long because Daniel and Teal'c would just not accept it. Carter might (reluctantly) because she’s been trained to take orders, but there’s no way Daniel and Teal’c would. Even if the two of them greatly respected the new leader, because of all they have been though with Carter, they would automatically, without even thinking about it, refer to Carter first. Anyone trying to take command of the team would have a hard time doing so because of their loyalty would be to Carter first.

Now with that said, and please don't beat me up for asking this, but am I the only one who is actually interested in seeing a little bit of a power struggle? Don't get me wrong—I definitely think Carter more than deserves the command, don't think that I don't. But, I think it would be great to see her position of command challenged and to have her overcome that challenge and prove without a single doubt that she is the person for the job. The new guy (my term for BB's yet unknown character) could become a temporary commander in the first couple of episodes, and then when Sam returns, there could be some question of command. A small power struggle could ensue with the new guy trying to assume command and finding resistance from the team. Then something could happen that proves that Carter is without a doubt the rightful leader of the team and (hopefully) the new guy will realize it and humbly concede the position to her. To me, it would be an extremely interesting episode or two and would also be a coup for her character.

And that's my two cents...
            My LiveJournal
            ^_^ ~ DANIquinn ~ ^_^

Comment

I would actually prefer it if she wasnt in command. I think it would work better that way.
              THOR: It was your stupid idea Major Carter.

Comment

i think the power struggle angle could be interesting and i hope they choose to take this route, or something similar.

such as sam is gone for a bit (you know, first 5 eps), ben is in charge, then sam comes back and gets her team back adn ben has/offers to step down.

it would create some interesing interpersonal conflicts that lead to character development. and that kind of char development is tons better than the 'date night' kind we've been getting lately
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

A power struggle might be good to watch, but it should be something that is worth doing. I mean, at this point, Carter shouldn't have to still prove her worth, unless somehow she messes up in the season finally or something. But unless they establish something like that, I think it is just a disrespectful thing to do to Carter.

Comment

There's nothing to stop him being on SG-1 under Sam's command. Even if he's been a Lt Colonel longer than her she could still be his CO cos a CO is simply whoever gets told "You're in charge" by the General. This is Earth's premier team, so it doesn't seem implausible that the new team-member would be quite senior.

I understand people's concern about AT and their wish not to see her shafted, and I totally respect that pov. But I really can't think of anything for the writers to do during the first quarter or so other than to add a new (acting?) CO to SG-1. They really have to, cos calling DJ & T 'SG-1' and sending them through the gate with no CO would not be very plausible.

So who to lead the team? A colonel? That would do. A Major? Probably not as CO of The Premier Team, after all Hammond dismissed the idea out of hand when Daniel suggested it in SoG. So it would be a colonel.

Full Colonel? That would be a blow to Sam. It seems to me that he's deliberately been made not senior to her so as not to disparage Carter. The fact that he *is* the same rank as Sam and not a full colonel indicates to me that they're setting the scene for either BB to be acting CO ready to step down when Sam returns / recovers / gets rescued from whatever happens to her for those five eps... or for a power struggle sort of issue which would be a good interesting meaty plotlone for AT and therefore not a shafting.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm pretty optimistic about how BB will fit in and how it will affect AT.

One other thing I'm thinking is that if BB *does* take on some of what has been seen as Sam's role on the team, even after AT is back, then I can see people being offended on her part and blaming TPTB for elevating BB at AT's expense and thinking they're insulting her. While I accept that this is possible, I can't help thinking that it's quite likely that a new mum will want to have a lighter role even if she does return to work, and so if Sam loses screentime in the other 15 eps it should be kept in mind that it may be being done for her benefit, and not to 'punish' her as has been suggested above.

Madeleine

Comment

"While Carter is military, Teal'c and Daniel are not."

Actually, Teal'c is also military. In fact, I'd guess his position as First Prime was something between general, stormtrooper, and cult member.

Comment

Originally posted by whisper99

I agree with you! And I posted the following a few ago on another thread Who is going to command SG-1 in Season 9? (Spoilers)

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        First quote from DarkQuee1: "agree it's unlikely that they would promote Sam again. But what kind of realism is it to put two officers of the same rank on the same 4-person team? It would never happen; it's a recipe for disaster." Skydiver's response:yes, it is. However, it makes sense if skiffy is going for the 'let's punish the female for daring to have a child and make sure she's knocked down to her proper place' syndrome...after all, we all know that it's just not possible for females to lead anyone and be in command. they MUST have a big strong male to lead the way
                        If Carter is no longer in charge of SG-1..after only getting one season...and most of that wasn't even with off-planet episodes where she could demonstate her command capabilities?... Then the fans and viewers will have been cheated out of what could have been very rewarding.

We need female leaders such as Amanda Tapping's portrayal of Sam Carter.

Originally posted by skydiver
                        sam getting promoted just won't happen. someone has said that lt col to full colonel is a 4-7 year process.
                        For desk-bound officers or officers not involved in years of field duty, it may be true that there could be many long years between promotions. Carter has been in the field, however, and the promotions should be faster than we've seen on the show. Especially when they save the world... repeatedly!

And actually, Carter's promotions to Major and the Lt. Col. over 8 years were not too fast for the military - and in many ways was too slow... and many folks have commented on this on other threads. Barklay from the Thread How old are members of SG-1?: And in this last promotion to Lt Col, she's actually behind the curve. The people promoted to major in 2000/2001 were in zone to get promoted to LtCol this year, and her date of rank for major is 1999.

And they could always use AT's absence to say that Carter was leading troops offworld - and she could earn a field promotion to full Colonel. Promotions usually come faster during war time.

I think that LACK of promotions is one of the major problems on TV shows with characters in the military (however perhaps many viewers are all just used to that standard)... Most soldiers are promoted for doing their daily jobs in an exemplary fashion (and they don't have to save a single life... let alone the world... to get the promotions).

I understand why most TV shows do not promote their subordinate characters... it would threaten the lead character/commander and/or would logically require that the newly promoted subordinate move into a command position of their own. So... because the show doesn't want to lose it's ensemble cast, they tend to 'freeze' the characters in their ranks in order to keep the 'team' together.

Stargate actually impressed me greatly when they actually gave Carter a promotion -- that type of action is so unusual for TV show characters... of course, O'Neill was a Colonel, so they could promote her and she was still his subordinate and could remain on SG-1.

Later, I would have preferred having Carter move to the command of another SG team... one which went out a lot with SG-1. This would have allowed the show to expand the core ensemble cast with 8 team members (and could have lightened the load and demands on RDA).

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        it can be very bad if sam gets kicked in the teeth and 'put in her place'
                        I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly. I have my fingers crossed that the shows writers and producers will handle things smartly (and not stereotypically).

Carter should command SG-1.
                        Since BB's character is supposed to already know SG-1, it would be great if he chose to serve on SG-1 because he knew that he wanted to serve under her command... and then he's actually disappointed when she's missing at the beginning of his new assignment!

Is it possible to merge these two threads? There is a lot of wonderful pro-Carter feedback on each of these threads and I think it would be great if it was all consolidated in one place. (Not that I have a clue how to merge threads...but I've seen posts where others have mentioned such things)

Thread 1 : Sam Carter / AT - S9
                        Thread 2: Who is going to command SG-1 in Season 9? (Spoilers)

Comment

Just want to add my support to the Sam should be CO camp.

I have my worries that TPTB brought in BB for his popularity on Farscape, thus adding to the Stargate fan base, and then had to create a character for him. Perhaps BB may only have been willing to sign if he got a high profile role??

In my view they should create a character that provides a solid grounding for the other characters to to develop, to move in a slightly different direction, but still keeping the essence of SG1 being tight knit "family" (and providing a base for further seasons). Don't forget the remaining 3 have been at it for 8 years and a slight shift in emphasis would be welcome I'm sure. Then they should cast for that specific character. This doesn't mean to say I'm right, cause I don't know, they may have asked BB after a character was thought of.

However, getting back to topic. If BB is the CO I'm not sure where Carter's character development will come from. She's back in the same position as season 1 to 6 in terms of team position and still has 3 male team members to work with.
                          I'm all for Carter being the CO. I think she will be good at it. She is good at taking charge and giving orders to everyone (under the control of Hammond) when there is some crisis at the SGC.
                          With SG1 's important role they need a crack team so don't have a problem with 2 members of high rank, the new character will add a tactical strength hopefully.
                          We'll just have to wait and see what happend, but I shall be very disapointed if Carter does not lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                            Just want to add my support to the Sam should be CO camp.

I have my worries that TPTB brought in BB for his popularity on Farscape, thus adding to the Stargate fan base, and then had to create a character for him. Perhaps BB may only have been willing to sign if he got a high profile role??

In my view they should create a character that provides a solid grounding for the other characters to to develop, to move in a slightly different direction, but still keeping the essence of SG1 being tight knit "family" (and providing a base for further seasons). Don't forget the remaining 3 have been at it for 8 years and a slight shift in emphasis would be welcome I'm sure. Then they should cast for that specific character. This doesn't mean to say I'm right, cause I don't know, they may have asked BB after a character was thought of.

However, getting back to topic. If BB is the CO I'm not sure where Carter's character development will come from. She's back in the same position as season 1 to 6 in terms of team position and still has 3 male team members to work with.
                            I'm all for Carter being the CO. I think she will be good at it. She is good at taking charge and giving orders to everyone (under the control of Hammond) when there is some crisis at the SGC.
                            With SG1 's important role they need a crack team so don't have a problem with 2 members of high rank, the new character will add a tactical strength hopefully.
                            We'll just have to wait and see what happend, but I shall be very disapointed if Carter does not lead.
                            Very astute and thoughtful analysis! Nice!

Comment

Correct me if i'm wrong, but as it says on the actual GateWorld announcements, BB's character got to choose what team or whatever he wants to be on, but it never said he got to choose a COMMAND. It's never actually been said that he's going to command, just that he's going to be on Sg-1. This may or may not change any of the speculations, but i'm just saying.
                              The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                              |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Working...
                              X