No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah ok, I was just fearing it was nearer the time of the return from Destiny.

Well when a rocket launches it actually turns to the horizontal, well technically, the trajectory is horizontal. You won't leave the planet's gravitational field unless you beat that gravitational field.

Comment

Ah ok, I was just fearing it was nearer the time of the return from Destiny.
      not to sound insulting or condescending, but are you going to write a, well, proper version of it? i distinctly remember you being better at writing than that story. it felt extremely rushed, and extremely underwhelming to what is essentially a full circle and a huge event.

i must note that the thing with the Novans i wrote in, does throw a monkey-wrench in. also, i don't think that after those years, the Crew would want to return, nor do i think Earth would invest in such an undertaking just to get the crew back.

However, it does play very nicely into my own plans regarding the LA's strike on destiny. and right now, the LA has what it wants, and i don't really see them using nor needing another Icarus planet (other than for the Naquahdriah).

Well when a rocket launches it actually turns to the horizontal, well technically, the trajectory is horizontal. You won't leave the planet's gravitational field unless you beat that gravitational field.
      Escape Velocity does not take accelleration of the object into account. a simple Dynamics equation shows that the accelleration of the object relative to the planet, is equal to the object's accelleration minus the gravitational accelleration.

this presents us with 3 cases :

the object's A (acceleration) > g
      the object leaves the planet

Object's A = g
      the object is stationary

Object's A < g
      the object does not get off the ground. (gets pulled back to it)

Comment

I thought you had a problem with the building of the capacitor to create a stable wormhole to Destiny (that one was a bit rushed)? You never said anything about problems with the Destiny return.

Escape velocity is defined as the velocity required to balance the gravitational potential energy of the planet (not assuming friction). So for the Earth that's 11.2 km/s, so less than that and the object will fall back down

Comment

I thought you had a problem with the building of the capacitor to create a stable wormhole to Destiny (that one was a bit rushed)? You never said anything about problems with the Destiny return.
          that was my first concern, yes. Especially as Seizure tells us it's possible in a safe way.

i think it was somewhere along my list, but the feeling that the Crew wouldn't WANT to return, only grows stronger as i think about it, and rewatch more SGU.

By the time your story takes place, the Destiny crew has been onboard for over 15 years. by then, especially with the Novans along with them, they'd have settled in. some would have kids. life would be much better. if they return, they'd return to a world where their loved ones probably already buried an empty casket.

It was a thought that sparked in my head while writing chapter 7, well the casket thing only now. I'm currently running Varro's interrogation scene in my head, and it was one of the things he'd bring up: brought back to a galaxy that's highly uncaring. especially since there was no connection since they went in stasis, the feeling of participation with our galaxy would be at an all-time low.

and there was another "shocker reveal" i had in mind, but i'm not really sure about that. it's a bit of a massive downer-ending. (foreshadowed by Awakening).

Comment

Oh and : Twin Destinies is definitely food-for-thought.

EDIT:

while i'm at it:

Destiny is one of the few, really majestic things left in Stargate. the 9th chevron truly is the last secret of the gate, and accomplishing a succesful dial is perhaps the only true achievement left. I think it should be majestic.

As to Destiny's future:

Supplies are limited, and the connection time to Destiny is limited. I think that there won't be huge amounts of material shipped through, nor do i think fitting it with custom weaponry is going to improve it much. i think that Earth would supply it with more and better equipment for exploration, a fresh team for research, a fresh connection with the Stones, a database with a lot of Earth's knowledge, and task the newly arrived expedition with building a "beachhead" on the other side of the universe. I think the Novans would have enough onboard capacity for manufacturing to build a small hyperspace-capable ship. it could use the data from the Seed Ships to find a possible Icarus planet, and begin establishing a base there.

Anyway, we're presented with two choices. we can either end the Destiny chapter, or continue it in a new way. It's definitely possible to use a far-away base for Neutronium exploitation, and to safeguard the continued existence of the human race.
            Last edited by thekillman; 07 April 2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Well Seizure wasn't out when I wrote that first story, so not much I can do about that.

Secondly, they're on a million year old ship that's falling apart and I wouldn't say that their loved ones would all be dead. Also, I don't see why Eli would not contact the SGC again.

Comment

I wouldn't say that their loved ones would all be dead
                no no, not that. i mean, their loved ones would've pronounced THEM dead.

Also, I don't see why Eli would not contact the SGC again.
                As chapter 7 says: Eli did contact them, but there was nobody to answer the call.

my current opinion on this is that -like Telford promised- the Stones were kept active for over 3 years. but after a year or 4, 5, Homeworld Command assumed something went wrong. given that the time adrift would increase VERY fast with every second they drop out of FTL too soon, the chance of error is simply too big.

in essence, Homeworld Command pronounced them dead after 5 years, ended the Icarus program for good, the Stones got re-used in their spy programm.

look, i feel bad about this. but while i wrote it, it felt more natural.

i'm interested about what the rest thinks about it

Comment

One of the biggest problems with Destiny for me, wasn't the weapons, it was repairing the ship. I mean we could try and tie together your story and mine cause at the time, they didn't have a viable and safe way to gate to destiny, but it still needs an engineering team to go there and fix the ship and also the military will want to try and increase the defenses of the ship.

Comment

it was repairing the ship.
                    I had two problems with Destiny: this (repairing it), and long-term stability in terms of manning it (since casualties inevitably occur).

It's the reason i included two Novan ships into the story. They would be Generational ships, so they obviously would have certain production capacities, as well as long-term food production.

I was toying with the idea of a downer ending :

Spoiler:

the Novans used a delerict Seed Ship to upgrade two of their own. they use the onboard Subspace link to detect Destiny's position, and the two -now FTL-capable- ships to pursue. since Destiny drifted, it allowed the two ships to catch up.

The Destiny Crew would discover that more Seed ships are coming at the end of their lifespan, one failing after the other. in short, the path layed ahead is quickly becoming narrower, and soon there will be no more gates.

It would open the possibility that the Novan/Destiny crews would tow the damaged Seed ships to a location of their choosing, and use the parts to both upgrade the Novan Ships, and build a safe colony. after all, a single Seedship powercore (charged) would hold enough power to sustain a colony for decades.

With Earth's re-dialing, they could bring some of the tools needed for a new start. i bet there's enough people, even in this galaxy and not just on Earth, desperate enough and sufficiently disillusioned to gate over there and truly start anew.

Comment

Not a terrible idea, actually...
                      sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

given the condition of Destiny, and the fact that the Seeders predate it by about 2000 years, plus the idea that they were manufactured around the same time, i'd give it a high probability

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          *rubs eyes*

mmd?

no, and no clue
                          What's up bro.

Okay cool. Ah, alright.

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                          I don't know man, it's pretty close to our iterative cycle.

Every time he does that I feel like commissioner Gordon when Batman does that thing where he appears and then you look away and he's gone.
                          Haha, yea... sorry about that mates... Life is busy and all right now. I'm currently deployed in Africa with part of my unit. I'm not allowed to say where though, so sorry guys.
                          An update on my life...
                          I'm doing college online while I'm in the country that I am in right now, making good money right now, and getting engaged in December and married in May or maybe sooner to my beautiful girlfriend. She knows that I'm proposing in December, she's been waiting for quite sometime, lol. And she's the one who planned for May to be the month of our wedding, haha.
                          I've been writing my book and making good progress on it. About 260 something pages in after having rewritten it once already.
                          I really, REALLY want to finish the Stargate fan fiction that I've been working on for the past 2 and 1/2 years. Hopefully, at some point sooner or later, I'll be able to finally post it and let you guys read it. I'm trying to write it as professionally as possible. It is in story format too, so it is twice as longer to write and edit when compared to script writing you know?
                          Well anywho, I work a lot, I've been getting into great physical shape and have gotten a lot of invitations for some great jobs when I get back home, which I'm pretty excited about.

So hows everyone doing?

yea me too. I think his record for longest stay is 3 days.
                          Lol, yea... my bad guys...

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                          "Yeah. He does that."<-Gordon
                          Lol, very funny. I miss you too gormagon. lol
                          Last edited by Major Mike David; 08 April 2012, 06:08 AM.
                          sigpic
                          You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'” - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

ha ha, yea being out on the field isn´t exactly good for your daily stargate forum visiting.

i´m glad you didn´t post an idea for a massive Fanfic collab yet, so you did improve. can´t wait to read the book, any hints as to what it´s about?

Comment

ha ha, yea being out on the field isn´t exactly good for your daily stargate forum visiting.

i´m glad you didn´t post an idea for a massive Fanfic collab yet, so you did improve. can´t wait to read the book, any hints as to what it´s about?
                              I'm actually on a base and like the rest of my fellow platoon mates, we're tasked with the responsibilty of protecting everyone on it and we also go on special missions and stuff. I work 12 hours a day. Our work schedule is 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 1 day off and so on and so forth. But we go on missions during our off days typically. Today is my off day and I was gone for 4 hours on a mission so I got back earlier this afternoon and have been enjoying the rest of the day. It is a good schedule, just a lot of stuff to do when we do work, lol.

Haha, oh yea, I've learned a lot more about writing in the past year, that's for sure. And yea I've improved drastically, I guarantee it. Yea, I can't wait to finish it too.
                              Sure, it takes place in the future where there are multiple human and alien governments throughout the galaxy that exist in a constant state of neutrality, war, and stalemates. There are several galactic communities that consistently via for control over territory and resources, making life on fringe worlds sometimes unbearable or really dangerous due to pirating, marauders, unsanctioned border conflicts between military forces or private military/security companies, and threats of invasion by galactic governments and empires. The book itself is apart of a series I have dynamically and intricately plotted out where the first book begins to chronicle the violent national and dynastic struggles among different governments and some empires' noble families for control of the top political office within the primary galactic community in order to reign over most of the galaxy and its vast resources; as the series opens, additional threats from outside influences and other powerful empires from secluded and unexplored regions in the galaxy to the eastern regions of the galaxy dominated by powerful human warrior races simultaneously begin to rise.
                              That's just a bit of a hint of what my first book is about. Sorry that I can't tell you too much about it.
                              Last edited by Major Mike David; 08 April 2012, 09:23 AM.
                              sigpic
                              You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'” - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

So, it's Dune, with more combat? You've got your work cut out for you.

Please tell me you scraped that early super-soldier training chapter.

Comment

Working...
                                X