No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And it does not have a cover so wild cats and deer keep getting in it....

Part two of chapter one.

Intro- This part introduces the Kaizoku Karuteru, a offshoot of the Houjin. They are a group of pirates, smugglers, and remnants of dishonored noble houses. The main adversary of the Houjin people for many years.

Light years away from Gindoaw, deep in the heart of a highly ionized nebula....

Kaizoku Mikiko stared at the man in front of her desk with disdain. The whelp had recently lost an entire shipment of Ahenahtu(A highly refined, altered opiate like drug.) He had been in command of a small group of cargo freighters bound for the outer world colonies. A Houjin destroyer had ambushed them from behind one of the moons of their first drop off planet.

" Mistress, we ran three sensor sweeps of the region, scanners did not pick up any unusual e.m or subspace fluctuations. I deemed it safe to proceed with the deal. We had no intel about any large warships in the region...." Kortari began.

"You should have been more patient Kortari. If you had been for thorough in checking the system with probes before you entered you would have found that warship waiting for you. " Mikiko said to him.

" I did not launch probes because of the time it would have taken for them to return! We are already behind on all of our shipments because of the Houjin navy's desire to destroy us. Their vessels pursue us all over space. I have failed in my duties. I have failed the Karuteru. I have failed you house mistress. I beg your mercy, provide me a chance to reclaim my honor! " Kortari pleaded.

" And why should such a chance be given you? " Mikiko inquired of him.

" I have always served the Karuteru to the best of my abilities! I have been loyal to you and your house! " Kortari replied.

" I see. And yet with the first wave of missiles the destroyer launched at your fleet you turned tail and escaped in your personal craft, abandoning the slower cargo ships to the Houjin. You are gutless. A coward without resolve or honor. " she stated to him as she pulled out a Wakizashi.(Small sword) as fast as a snake, she was over her desk and holding the blade to his throat.

He gasped, he had not even had time to blink.

" If it were up to me, your head would decorate my ships bow. However, it is not. " Mikiko moved the blade away from his throat and slowly walked back behind her desk.

Kortari collapsed on the floor. Just then, the doors to Mikiko's chambers opened up and a procession of noblemen strode in.

"Son, are you all right? What did you do to him?! " the man in the lead of the group demaned to Mikiko.

" Nothing. I did nothing to this nothing."she said, gesturing at Kortari. " Your families financial support is still key to our operations. Because of this, I grant your request to spare your sons life. " She finished.

" Yes. Yes it is. Do not forget that without our help, the Houjin would have closed their noose around your houses neck decades ago! I take my leave of you now." the man finished.

Mikiko said nothing as all the men left with the whelp. What was happening to the Karuteru?

The Houjin were tightening the net. It was becoming harder and harder to pull a profit, to survive. But were could they go? The underspace disturbance prevented them from leaving this region of space for greener pastures. Until they found away around the disturbance, if such a thing was possible....

End part two.

The disturbance is just an f.t.l preventer, but to get outside of it to other systems would take forever, having to go at sublight speeds.
    Last edited by Gormagon; 06 April 2012, 10:31 AM.
    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Ahenahtu(A highly refined, altered opiate like drug.
      Wakizashi.(Small sword)
      there are more subtle ways than this.

Comment

Greetings strangers.
        Oh how I've missed this discussion board. :'( I miss you guys... Long time no see.
        How has everyone been? I hope everything has been well. It is great to see that Gateworld Virtual Fleet is still alive and kicking. Tom, I very much miss your *unique* criticism, lol. How have you been Killman? Mcoy, you still being the expert linguist? You better be, lol. I'll be pretty unhappy if you aren't. Gorgamon, how's everything been fellow? You've been doing okay?

I hope you guys have been kicking some a$s lately with some great stories.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        i did have an idea regarding a new Jaffa ship. I quite despise the Ha'tak in it's current form. you can do a lot with a baseship, but since the Jaffa would have the most spread, least dense "empire", enforcing law and even generic border protection would be nigh-impossible.

this is why i propose a design:

the Ash'tak (contraction of Ash'rak and Ha'tak).

Type: Cruiser

Role: Workhorse

Designers:
        Tok'ra

Builders:
        Jaffa Republic
        JPA (Optional)

Users:
        Jaffa Republic
        JPA (Optional)

Size: approx 400-500 meters

Powerplant :

-Twin compact L-Nq Fission cores.
        -6x Hyper-density Capacitors. Deliver combat power for nearly 3 minutes.
        -1x backup naquahdah reactor.

Propulsion:

-4x Ion thruster.
        -3 Inertialess nodes (2x back, 1 in the front).
        -1x Hyperdrive

Defences:

-8x Plasma Quad-Cannon. Shotgun or rapid-fire configuration.
        -40x Interception missile.

Shields:

-Front and Aft Radial (Disk-like) Shield generator.

Weapons:

-2x Heavy Plasma cannon.
        -16x Mid Plasma Cannon.

Carrying Capacity:

-6 Tel'tak launch/retrieval bays.

Other:

-Rings
        -Multi-purpose cargo rooms
        -Mid-length mission facilities (leisure, etc)

Description:

The Ash'tak is the Jaffa-Tok'ra answer to the Lucian War and the problems it brings. With the new Aggregator on the battlefield, these engines of war prove quite devastating. As more Ha'tak are needed for the fight, this draws away the attention from internal defence, and border protection. Realizing their shortcomings, the Jaffa Republic looked at their Tok'ra allies for help. Already having a protection pact, better Jaffa border patrols were also in the Tok'ras own interest.

Following a relatively short design period, the first Ash'tak rolled out of a hastily-modified shipyard in mid-2026. With a work ethic rarely seen before, the Jaffa began to churn out these new, mid-sized craft. By the end of 2026, the Ash'tak had already proven it's worth as a ship focused on a task, rather than a jack-of-all-trades.

Design and Combat:

The Ash'tak is designed to be a good warship, while also working as an effective workhorse. With six Tel'tak docking ports, the Ash'tak is the Jaffa's equivalent of a Valkyrie: relatively cheap, mass-produceable, and versatile. The Ash'tak can use the Tel'tak to cover a large amount of territory for patrol. However, it can also bring those ships close to a target for scouting, tactical operations and a host of other possible missions.

It features two large Ha'tak type cannons, located near the front, and mounted on heavy turrets. These cannons serve to pack a heavy anti-ship punch. On the other hand, the 16 mid-range plasma cannons are a whole new design. Drawing inspiration from Anubis, these cannons can fire lower-energy bolts at a much higher rate. In-battle, the Ash'tak dish out torrents of plasma-bolts. While it makes the Ash'tak suffer from lesser accuracy, these cannons allow it to face a greater range of opponents: from small Tel'tak to Ha'tak. While it certainly can not bring down a Ha'tak on it's own, Ash'tak can easily team up to form wolfpacks.

It's interception missiles serve mostly as anti-missile defence, but can also be re purposed for anti-fighter defence.

I might've forgotten a thing or two. if you have thoughts on the design, do tell.
        When I first saw the name, "Ash'tak", I thought of a Goa'uld Ashrak, lol, no offense.

Other than the name bro, I like the idea that you've presented. It sounds pretty solid, but the question I have is, is it capable of being rendered invisible? And what is the minimum & maximum crew capacity for this vessel?

Well guys, I guess I better let yall go. Talk to you guys later! Peace out gents!

~MMD
        sigpic
        You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'” - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Major Mike David View Post
          Greetings strangers.
          Oh how I've missed this discussion board. :'( I miss you guys... Long time no see.
          How has everyone been? I hope everything has been well. It is great to see that Gateworld Virtual Fleet is still alive and kicking. Tom, I very much miss your *unique* criticism, lol. How have you been Killman? Mcoy, you still being the expert linguist? You better be, lol. I'll be pretty unhappy if you aren't. Gorgamon, how's everything been fellow? You've been doing okay?

I hope you guys have been kicking some a$s lately with some great stories.

When I first saw the name, "Ash'tak", I thought of a Goa'uld Ashrak, lol, no offense.

Other than the name bro, I like the idea that you've presented. It sounds pretty solid, but the question I have is, is it capable of being rendered invisible? And what is the minimum & maximum crew capacity for this vessel?

Well guys, I guess I better let yall go. Talk to you guys later! Peace out gents!

~MMD
          *rubs eyes*

mmd?

is it capable of being rendered invisible? And what is the minimum & maximum crew capacity for this vessel?
          no, and no clue

Comment

there are more subtle ways than this.
            Kk. Ill work on that to. Any other feedback at all?

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

On the missile speed front: I suspect that they will travel at the same speed as one of the Gaould busters did in series 1:so beyond 11.2 km/s since they have to achieve escape velocity, but then in space they haven't got gravity to hold them back, so the same fuel load could be used to further increase the velocity or get to 11 km/s in an even quicker time.

Comment

So I was thinking about it, the secret of Wraith strength must be the ability to better activate existing muscle fibers instead of sheer muscle mass or density. Why? One, arm size, two, they can swim quite well. Adding on to it would be the life energy they absorb to power their cells.

Check out these real life strong men.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw6a28kp8YU <Stan Lees super humans.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH5C3im5ygM<Good start off.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_khw...eature=related<Meh. Its 2/5 but I did not think this one was very good.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sQNV...feature=relmfu<Better
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ilp...eature=related<Good.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X8Wv...feature=relmfu<Meh....nothing important. 5/5.

I am going to incorporate certain aspects this stuff into Houjin soldiers strength and abilities.
                Last edited by Gormagon; 07 April 2012, 06:14 AM.

Comment

i don't.
                  I don't know man, it's pretty close to our iterative cycle.

*rubs eyes*

mmd?
                  Every time he does that I feel like commissioner Gordon when Batman does that thing where he appears and then you look away and he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                    Every time he does that I feel like commissioner Gordon when Batman does that thing where he appears and then you look away and he's gone.
                    yea me too. I think his record for longest stay is 3 days.

Comment

"Yeah. He does that."<-Gordon

Comment

damn i'm in a HUGE nostalgia mood. watched Gauntlet yesterday, today i watched Malice. i miss that show. i do have inspiration now for the next chapter of SOTL.

Comment

I just reread Jurassic park, now I am watching the movie. forgot how chilling the book was.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
                            On the missile speed front: I suspect that they will travel at the same speed as one of the Gaould busters did in series 1:so beyond 11.2 km/s since they have to achieve escape velocity, but then in space they haven't got gravity to hold them back, so the same fuel load could be used to further increase the velocity or get to 11 km/s in an even quicker time.

Note: Escape velocity is not per se needed to escape a planet. any speed will do, for as long as your accelleration is above 9.81 m/s^2. I believe escape velocity was defined as the speed you need to achieve in order to escape a gravity well without (constant) accelleration ( IE, a cannon shot).

still, yes, i think most if not all SG subluminal speeds are below Relativistic (.14c)

Comment

No escape velocity is what is need to leave the orbit of the planet, star etc. So if velocity=escape velocity, you'll orbit the gravitational object.

Yeah I agree and probably besides ship propulsion, everything is below relativistic. I still wouldn't expect the missile speeds to be between 100 to 1000 km/s depends on the available propulsion mechanism. Obviously, the lower end for chemical and the upper end for fission, although fusion and antimatter would be higher.

One question about the most recent chapters you have put up Killman: what is it set?
                              Last edited by Davidtourniquet; 07 April 2012, 10:07 AM.

Comment

i assume that by "what" you mean "when"

it's early 2025. i used a figure of 2020 earlier, but i realized the war only started in 2025.

regardless of the precise data, it's early into the war, the first year (first half year actually) .

In terms of the story itself, Langara takes place roughly halfway - three quarters into the first year of the war. the other chapters should take up a month or three.

i plan to detail at least the first 1.5-2 years of the war. i believe that's the non-aschen period.

In physics, escape velocity is the speed at which the kinetic energy plus the gravitational potential energy of an object is zero.[nb 1] It is the speed needed to "break free" from a gravitational field without further propulsion.
                                A rocket moving out of a gravity well does not actually need to attain escape velocity to do so, but could achieve the same result at walking speed with a suitable mode of propulsion and sufficient fuel. Escape velocity only applies to ballistic trajectories.

Let me rephrase: it's the speed a bullet would need to escape the planet. for a spaceship any acceleration greater than "g" will do, since then the craft will actually accelerate upwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X