Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    well since half the galaxy uses left-behind goauld technology (which the majority can't even reproduce), that puts many at goauld-speeds. though of course, most of the awesome stuff is in jaffa hands and the rest in the LA's. IE, Anubis-class ships.
    Stupid Jaffa....

The only ones with "normal " hyperdrive capacity are the Hebridans, the Machai and the Houjin. the rest either doesn't HAVE hyperdrive capacity, or uses goauld ha'tak.
    What about the Aschen and the Tollans?

Audacity in size. Each race has a certain "technology density". a 304 is smaller than a ha'tak, but has much stronger shields. thus, asgard technology has a much greater tech density than Goauld tech.

To match tau'ri ships, an enemy would either need a whole lot more, or a much bigger ship. Given that the Houjin are below Goauld tech, equal-size with numbers is probably not gonna work. Of course, it's kind of up to you what you do precisely. But I don't expect the Houjin to send 3 ships to a 304 and win.
    Ah ha I understand what you mean now.
    Although I believe 3 Kiruada class ships would beat a 304.
    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

[QUOTE=Gormagon;13318246]
      Could you wrap each slug in a static e5 field to make them more effective against shields?
      QUOTE]

Waht's e5?
      If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
      [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

http://gwvf.wikia.com/wiki/Kiron_Theory

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Whats wrong with innertialess drives?
          they'd likely require too much power to be powered by thorium fission.

What about the Aschen and the Tollans?
          Technically, it's Tollan.

Anyway, not sure. Both seem to have extremely crap hyperdrive tech.

Comment

they'd likely require too much power to be powered by thorium fission.
            I have been doing some reading.
            Thorium sounds cheap cheap cheap, and compared to naquada its like lighter fluid value. I think I will have to keep a small naquadah cell on board though, however all it has to do now is divert E5 to the plasma lance capacitors and power the shield.

For the rest of the battle: I'd make all drones automated. somewhere in a 10x10x5 meter range, fitted with fission-powered VASIMIR drives. Hell, i'd probably make them run on Thorium fission. Make the structure in such a fashion that i can either launch by rail or coilgun, so i'm shooting drones rather than launching them. Similarly, the main launch ship would likely contain Aggregator-like main launch tubes, which launch missiles at high speed. in the Houjin case, i'd rack up the size to a big ICBM-style missile. about 4-6 independent missiles loaded as warhead, each with a naquahdah-enhanced nuke.
            My drone shape is pretty similar to a missile but bigger, so they could be stored in launching racks. I did some work last night, they are now about 14 meters long, and a little over 6m wide at the base and 1 meter wide at the tip, and 6m deep. Is that a good size?

Technically, it's Tollan.

Anyway, not sure. Both seem to have extremely crap hyperdrive tech.
            Which always makes me chuckle a bit because Travell says "...Our technology is superior in every way to theirs,(Theirs meaning Goa'uld.) and to yours." Yet being in the same galaxy as Earth they could not get a ship to Earth to pick up Narim, Omac and the others in their lifetimes, which were probably pretty long.

Comment

Audacity in size. Each race has a certain "technology density". a 304 is smaller than a ha'tak, but has much stronger shields. thus, asgard technology has a much greater tech density than Goauld tech.
              Ok, this has inspired me to come up with a larger capitol ship. The Kiruada is a mid sized capitol vessel, meant to operate on solo missions or in smaller groups. This one will be what you said, Audacity in size. Not as big as a base ship, but still big.

I recalculated the missile storage space available to the Kiruada, they are tightly packed, 600 ISCM (Inter-ship capitol missiles.) and around 1000 drone restock missiles, which are smaller. Because of the increase in drone size, it only has 60 drones compared to 80. Each drone comes loaded with a full compliment of 18 drone sized missiles, totaling 1080 missiles inside the drones.

Robotic systems quickly and efficiently reload missile tubes and restock drones.

A drone missile has a smaller amount of fuel and a more basic guidance system. About 92% of its space is warhead. This is because of how close the E.M drivers of the drone fling those missiles at the enemy.

Comment

Sounds good.

I'm gonna take a break from this man, need to focus on the Machai a bit more.

I have some things in store for them, especially the chapter i'm writing now.
                But it requires some attention, need to be absolutely sure i'm not leaving gaps or making massive mistakes. It's gonna be a fine line to walk anyways.

Currently designing a Machai ship. Damn it's hard to make it feel like SG yet not rip off another race.

Comment

Ok, have fun.

Comment

Sounds good.

Currently designing a Machai ship. Damn it's hard to make it feel like SG yet not rip off another race.
                    I know what you mean. Besides the fact that a brick is an efficient and basic shape for space vessels. Its hard to come up with cool or exotic looking designs that make sense in SG.

Comment

I just read your edits to my Theory. I disagree on the shields: The exotic matter that makes up the shield is generated by the shield generator. The powersource has nothing to do with it, and if you plug in enough conventional powersources, it'll be just as strong. Naquahdah simply has the benefit of being enormously power dense.

Secondly: Any force can drain a shield. Any from of pressure can drain a shield. Plasma weapons are specifically built to be much more effective against shields for more reasons than just the mere exotic matter within.

Comment

What about it someone has a bunch of massive fusion generators that power a magnetically contained plasma field with no kiron/exoton interactions would not the vast majority of the energy in say a Goa'uld blast cannon which is kiron/E5 interaction based be useless? Making it very difficult to deplete said shield with the blast cannons?

Comment

So your saying the shield generator has a device that converts the stream of power into K/E particles?

Comment

Look, how it works, i have no real idea. I would say it's higher dimension physics, where Subspace and Space can not be distinguished. Basically, where a shield exists, particles from subspace could be in superposition with realspace.

It's an area i don't want to touch because it's too vague. what i know, is that a Shield has some sort of structure, held together by Kiron force. The shape of the shield determines the permeability, as does the frequency of the bonding forces.

How and why it works precisely i don't know. I use my Theory as a framework, not as a fundament for everything

Comment

Well aware of the Tollans powerful technology, the Goa'uld tried to trick and destroy Tollana, but it wasn't before Anubis found a way to make his fleet impervious to the Tollan Ion cannons, their only defense, they met their eventual destruction, which probably could have been avoided had they taken the threat of the Goa'uld more seriously.
                              I disagree on the last part. The Tollan had every right to be arrogant and every right to rely on their cannons. Anubis was a cheat himself, and it is INCREDIBLY unlikely that the goauld would've countered the Ion Cannons in the coming millenium on their own

Comment

I disagree on the last part. The Tollan had every right to be arrogant and every right to rely on their cannons. Anubis was a cheat himself, and it is INCREDIBLY unlikely that the goauld would've countered the Ion Cannons in the coming millenium on their own
                                That discussion was like, 4 months ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X