No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gindoaw looked out at the blue tunnel of underspace. His ships F.T.L system was the most robust and powerful ever devised by his people, it would not take long to reach the eighth boarder outpost.

Although the eighth boarder outpost was heavily fortified, the Shogunate and his council had felt it best to keep project long haul based at Arata Seken, for supply and security reasons. Gindoaw felt they were being paranoid..who was going to attack him? Why would anyone attack him? The Kurohayamimi had not been heard from since he was a boy, the Kaizoku would have to be mad to attack a fortified target like outpost eight, and the Aobozu were busy trying to rebuild and prevent total anarchy in their solar system.

Gindoaw believed everything would go off without a hitch. They had retested and retested and run countless simulations. He closed his eyes and went to sleep.

So, the Houjin had finally done it. Invented a drive system that could allow one to leave this part of the galaxy without dying from old age or boredom...who knew what wealth lay out in the universe! Being able to leave their prison....he had to give credit to Houjin engineering.

The data on his crystal had told him all about the research that had been conducted over the past few decades, who was involved in the project, and most importantly, when and where the test ship, the Storm Runner, would emerge. Now he understood why the heads of their organization had been calling in every able ship and blade from all over the kingdom. All of those men were being promised a big haul.

And it was a valuable target. With the ability to leave the kingdom the Kaizoku could get away, far away from the Houjin and finally be free to do as they pleased. No more raids on their drug storage facilities and arms depots, or surprise searches of their cargo vessels.

And he, Kortari, would be a part of the assault on border outpost 8, and not just any part, he was one of the four Raptor class vessels going after Storm Runner. His father had managed to barter back his old ship for him, the Dawnblade, and put together a crew of his own family house as well.

Retrieving Storm Runner and its drive intact was vital, the pilots life preferred
    but optional so that he could be interrogated. Well his attack force saw to that, the rest of the fleet would distract the warships in the area, as well as border outpost eights weapon systems.

He should be leaving anytime now....

" Kortari Oukoa, report to docking birth 12 immediately. " came a voice over the com.

Kortari pressed the com button. " I am on my way." he replied. Kortari left his office and made his way to docking birth 12.

Thats the first part of chapter two.

Can we take a vote on weather to simply make the Houjin far away from the Goa'uld or keep the hyperspace disturbance theory alive? I think option two would add more to the fleets.
    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

The only way I'd go for the disturbance is if it's the after-effect of an Attero experiment gone wrong, and even that's a stretch. Natural doesn't make sense to me.
      sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

I think a natural disturbance/ instability is an ok concept. The idea that all of subspace would have completely uniform properties without any anomalies sounds more absurd to me to be honest.

Comment

Well, my basic hypothesis is currently that large amounts of mass effect subspace. We do not really understand subspace and its not impossible that a galaxy could....pull hyperspace or effect it in some manner to...concentrate hyperspace closer to a galactic core, I.E a disturbance.

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

I think a natural disturbance/ instability is an ok concept. The idea that all of subspace would have completely uniform properties without any anomalies sounds more absurd to me to be honest.
            from what i understand of subspace, it's a constant storm of energy. however, the very idea of a hyperdrive is that it generates a tunnel through it, making whatever travelling in it unharmed by subspace. while it would definitely be an initial difficulty, i think it's something that can be relatively easily overcome.

also, while i understand a more turbulent region of subspace could exist (like near Galactic cores), my objection is that whatever could cause it, would be a billion times more effective in real space. compare: effect of supernova in realspace and subspace.

it's also consistently portrayed as a "barrier" by gormagon, which makes even less sense. it would be a field.

My current line of thinking summed up- there are the seriously brain washed utopians, who have their own planet and associate very little with the rest of the kingdom. There are the Houjin, who are intermediate. And there are the KK, the criminal element.
            i really don't think everyone will be tagged nicely in Houjin society.

i'm wondering, is there slavery in Houjin society? because brainwashing would definitely open that door.

Well, my basic hypothesis is currently that large amounts of mass effect subspace. We do not really understand subspace and its not impossible that a galaxy could....pull hyperspace or effect it in some manner to...concentrate hyperspace closer to a galactic core, I.E a disturbance.
            please differentiate better between Subspace and Hyperspace. they're different things. Hyperspace is pretty much a Wormhole through Subspace.

Subspace in Stargate acts as pretty much as a "universe" like ours of 4 dimensions, though it obviously shares a dimension of time with ours.

so i'd consider Subspace a second set of 3 dimensions, tied to our universe by time, and probably other unknown dimensions.

and yes, Gravity does interact with Subspace. that's actually a fact, which is why my theory is that subspace is more dense around galaxies, which is why there's such a humongous difference in time between intergalactic and intragalactic travels.

Comment

There used to be, they still have servants but no slaves anymore. The KK faction did use slaves, but I would think robotic manufacturing technology and nanites make slaves kinda obsolete.

it's also consistently portrayed as a "barrier" by gormagon, which makes even less sense. it would be a field.
              In my mind it is a line like field of extra concentrated subspace energy swirling around close to the galactic core, Houjin space is like an eye in a storm. Something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                also, while i understand a more turbulent region of subspace could exist (like near Galactic cores), my objection is that whatever could cause it, would be a billion times more effective in real space. compare: effect of supernova in realspace and subspace.
                ^ This. Just ... this.

Even putting aside the real life reasons why it is a horrendously bad thing to live remotely near the galactic core, you've now added a phenomenon that's so powerful it makes subspace freaky. Your area of real-space should be similarly uninhabitable. Example: the corrosive nebula in Grace was able--to a degree--to destabilize hyperspace windows. It was similarly dangerous in real-space.

Oh, and perhaps you want more of a hyperspace disturbance anyway ... as killman said, hyperspace is really the issue; subspace is always turbulent to a degree.
                sigpic

Comment

Fine.....Kill joys.

Comment

Originally posted by killman
                    from what i understand of subspace, it's a constant storm of energy. however, the very idea of a hyperdrive is that it generates a tunnel through it, making whatever travelling in it unharmed by subspace. while it would definitely be an initial difficulty, i think it's something that can be relatively easily overcome.

Not necessarily. Personally I wouldn't back such a theory since it inherently assumes that one has seen every possible form or occurrence of subspace which I don't think is possible. It excludes the occurrence of natural wormholes any other fictional explanation you could manufacture that doesn't actually clash with any of the mechanics of SG universe.

^ This. Just ... this.

Even putting aside the real life reasons why it is a horrendously bad thing to live remotely near the galactic core, you've now added a phenomenon that's so powerful it makes subspace freaky. Your area of real-space should be similarly uninhabitable. Example: the corrosive nebula in Grace was able--to a degree--to destabilize hyperspace windows. It was similarly dangerous in real-space.

Oh, and perhaps you want more of a hyperspace disturbance anyway ... as killman said, hyperspace is really the issue; subspace is always turbulent to a degree.
                    Again, I don't think that is necessarily true, certainly not enough to justify completely shooting down an idea anyway. Even though it is artificial, take for example something like the blackhole energy transference phenomenon from an earlier SG episode. In that scenario, one had incredibly powerful and rapidly elevating levels of gravity being projected through subspace via an active stargate. Normal space in between those two points may experience nothing and life goes on as normal, but the same may not be true for subspace and consequently the hyperspace tunnel that attempts to move through it.

In this case an author can easily manufacture a scenario where a world located close to such a spatially transient phenomenon would be perfectly fine but attempts to reach it via hyperspace fail, forcing everyone to approach at sublight velocity.

Its a pretty loose example but I think it illustrates that there is enough fictional material that one can thumb-suck such an environment if one wanted to without ruining everything for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post

Fine.....Kill joys.
                      Now, I don't mean to be a kill-joy ...

I just want to offer an ... alternative joy ...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post

Run for the hills!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                          Now, I don't mean to be a kill-joy ...

That's like saying Coke is as good as Pepsi or vice versa

Anyhow, I've been thinking, ground transports, do we have any, drop ships, do we have any ,and also, supersoldiers, can I make a few ?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post

Anyhow, I've been thinking, ground transports, do we have any, drop ships, do we have any ,and also, supersoldiers, can I make a few ?
                            My guys got lots of those. Every Houjin warrior could be called "super" compared to a Tau'ri soldier. My drop ships/soldiers use magnetic platforms and booster rockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                              My guys got lots of those. Every Houjin warrior could be called "super" compared to a Tau'ri soldier. My drop ships/soldiers use magnetic platforms and booster rockets.
                              What I mean by super soldier is kind of like a Spartan from Halo, only, better, in stead of trained since six years old and then medically conditioned to have better reflexes, etc, these soldiers are created on computer, their DNA set up first designed on the screen then transffered to a single cell or the like, then grown inside a device I call a Stasia Tube. their DNA is designed with full combat experiance, ablities, such as strength, speed, eyesight, innate healing {some have it, but it is slow, not exactly fast mind you, but fast enough}

I can give examples if you like

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

we have the Scorpion Gunship/dropship.

i think a Tau'ri supersoldier is unlikely to happen.

i mean, we dominate every one-on-one battle, it's the scale of war that's difficult for the Tau'ri. and on the ground, we can win.

for ground battles, i think more advanced MALP and UAV derivatives are far more likely. IE, UCAVs and explorer UAV's to aid SG teams, and mobile (Railgun) artillery, and APC-esque vehicles.

the emphasis would not be on ultra-heavy weaponry, but rather gate-capable, multi-terrain, multi-purpose vehices. probably with Railgun technology.

Comment

Working...
                                X