No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes battles are written in story format, but overall allot of things are without

www.darkarmada.nl
    www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
      well PJ I would vote you to be the writer for the introduction/prologue and all, but I must say I like Bubba his idea best, it is a rather good idea i think

also I'd like anarchy to reign the MW with a few possibilities for being the beacon of hope and light in all that darkness, though that part should not be known until later in the fleet, and it should not automatically be Earth
      I'm sitting in the ready room waiting for my crew chief, so I don't have a lot of time, what was Bubba's idea?

Thanks to Commander PJOZ for the siggy

Comment

i think the current idea is to start in 2025 (15 years in the future), keep what really happened in the background (the details are really gonna kill us) and focus on the here and now.

also, the majority of the population on the Colonies would be immigration, not born. both migration from earth to colonies and migration from other planets to our colonies.

Main Colony:
        -a mix of human races, 3 million people live here spread on the Main Continent (the one with the gate). many nationalities from earth plus people from other planets.
        -several F-302 airfields, starship landing pads, two spaceship construction sites, fighter factory and quite some industrial capacity. major employment is in poduction and mining.

the other 3 large colonies should be primarily mining of exotic resources (Naquahdah, trinium) and rare resources (gold, palladium, platinum and titanium and stuff) and perhaps agriculture.

starting date: Ca. 2025

state of the galaxy: calm. politics have cooled down and people are settling in. only the LA and minor fanatic groups stir up things.

Comment

I'm for that^
          Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
          sigpic

Comment

2025 sounds a great idea, but that's going to kill off canon right away. So there'll be no mention other than in the historical sense of any of the known Stargate personnel? That sux. Why not pull it back a bit, say 2015, that way you can please both camps. Start your colonies rather than just having them suddenly appear. Write it like a narrative, and work your way to that timeline with epic events taking place to get you to that era.

Thanks to Commander PJOZ for the siggy

Comment

I think the 2015 is a good compromise. That way leads to a better writing regime', much less uber guesswork involved in creating your evovled scenarios. We can still go with Bubba's theme though, only we could actually start the colonisation from that point.
              My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
              sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

No, I think 2025. I would prefer to distance ourselves as far as possible from the events of SG1 etc.

Comment

2015 is still quite the distance from sg1

Comment

I think 2025 is better, how much could have happened in 5 years? We should be moving past the confines of past SG series placing that it far in the future gives us a lot more autonomy. My idea doesn't work for 2015, my idea requires large numbers of imigrants to other worlds + the formation of several other factions. That all can't happen in 5 years.

Writing lots of little stories about the people settling is frankly boring. We should skip the stage where we're setting up colonies (which would boring) and move it on to a point where we can tell real stories.

Along with David and Tep I have the most experience when it comes to a Virtual Fleet and let me tell you its far easier to write if we move away from the show canon. TBH the last 2 seasons of SG1 weren't great and Atlantis never furfilled it's potential. We can do better.
                    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Hear hear!! We need to give the colonies enough time to form.

Comment

Yeah, you need more than 5 years for all those colonies.

Oh, and are we using the Jotunar/Pegasus Asgard to remove the uber-tech so we can keep all the canon, or are we just cutting out Unending and screwing Atlantis?
                        sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

I'm not sure atm.

Where do you stand Mcoy?
                          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Stand on what?
                            sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                              I think 2025 is better, how much could have happened in 5 years? We should be moving past the confines of past SG series placing that it far in the future gives us a lot more autonomy. My idea doesn't work for 2015, my idea requires large numbers of imigrants to other worlds + the formation of several other factions. That all can't happen in 5 years.

Writing lots of little stories about the people settling is frankly boring. We should skip the stage where we're setting up colonies (which would boring) and move it on to a point where we can tell real stories.

Along with David and Tep I have the most experience when it comes to a Virtual Fleet and let me tell you its far easier to write if we move away from the show canon. TBH the last 2 seasons of SG1 weren't great and Atlantis never furfilled it's potential. We can do better.
                              That was my point. Starting from 2015 makes you create your colonies, gives you a background from which to start, and boring, no way. Do you know how much action is involvled in getting a colony started? I've spent 3 consecutive tours in both Iraq and Afganistan, and re-building those nations is akin to starting afresh, and belive me, we were never short of exitement.

And S9 and S10 of SG1, showed just how far the envelope of creative writing can be. Don't shoot the messenger, you can take a lot of good material from those seasons and SGA.
                              My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                              sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                                Stand on what?
                                On whether we start in 2015 or 2025.

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                                That was my point. Starting from 2015 makes you create your colonies, gives you a background from which to start, and boring, no way. Do you know how much action is involvled in getting a colony started? I've spent 3 consecutive tours in both Iraq and Afganistan, and re-building those nations is akin to starting afresh, and belive me, we were never short of exitement.
                                Translating the excitement of what it's actually like to start a colony into written form isn't easy though my friend. It would be the death of the fleet. I mean its going to mostly the same isn't it really...you going to be writing about the imigrants as they build there houses etc? It would be a ton of largely individual stories as opposed to an arc affecting the galaxy and the various races living there.

What's wrong with having the main story in 2025 and those who want to write about the formation of the colonies can?

And S9 and S10 of SG1, showed just how far the envelope of creative writing can be. Don't shoot the messenger, you can take a lot of good material from those seasons and SGA.
                                Yes but including it all is rather difficult especially considering the amount of contradictions and rubbish the TPTB put in with their quick win plot devices etc...

Comment

Working...
                                X