Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    can we get 24 extra hours? tomorrow i want to break down all models. we shouldn't rush this. there are more fighter designs than BB designs so we need a little more time. i want to get opinions from people too.

that leaves us some 26 hours left before voting
    Agreed, with the increased amount of fighters it is going to take more time for everyone to look at each others design. I also want to make some more additions before my final submission.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

can we get 24 extra hours? tomorrow i want to break down all models. we shouldn't rush this. there are more fighter designs than BB designs so we need a little more time. i want to get opinions from people too.

I second that KM, also we still need to decide if we have a totally seperate BBCV version of the 310, or make a BB310A (straight out battle class), then a BB310B (CVN class) As well on the fighters, there will a need for more than one variant.
      My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
      sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Okay.

By the way, Commander, I feel I should inform you that I'm not actually in the Armed Forces. It's just my Username.

I hope there was no confusion.
        your a Lt Col by GW, im a general although ive been waiting for my admiral application to be processed.
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
          your a Lt Col by GW, im a general although ive been waiting for my admiral application to be processed.
          Tep, you'd have to switch to Navy for that, which I can arrange for you, slip over to the SS Puddles (PJOZ ridiculous Fabclub) and I'll enlist you and promote you. (I can actually do that)

Comment

Link me
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
              I know that Mcoy, I'm just feeling formal this week, getting ready for a presenation Friday for some brass BIG BRASS
              Just checking. Good luck, then, Commander.

Okay, then. Everyone seems agreed on that. An extra day it is.
              sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                Link me
                It's a fun ship Tep, you'll enjoy it. Which reminds me, as it is a ship (BB310 15 Dreadnought) we could use it as a base for practice missions to try out dialogue and whatnot http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...anclub/page225

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                Just checking. Good luck, then, Commander.

Okay, then. Everyone seems agreed on that. An extra day it is.

Thanks, I'll need it. It's for my command at sea qualifications

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                  Who made the image?
                  the Alesian ship image is off EVE, it is the Amarr Punisher class frigate, the best frigate there is, possibly the best in the whole game besides any Tier 2 frigate, but a tier 2 punisher rocks.
                  sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

@Awinita: Those fighters look pretty good, I can't comment on much since there is a lot of alien tech. I will say that the physical size seems to be too thin. Assuming you are basing them off a general 302 shape, the wingspan should be a lot more.

@Brad. Looks pretty good. You could probably save money by eliminating the stealth painting. It never seemed to help Earth fighters against alien threats and there isn't a need to remain invisible to the general populace anymore. The cockpit feature can be summarized as a glass cockpit. The idea has been possible for a long time now. The targeting system need not be explained, since threat assessment and target prioritizing is something virtually all new generation fighter radars do anyway. Such a feature would be standard on any currently developed fighter, never mind over 10 years into the future. Flight assistance is also stock standard and I doubt CON needs to explicitly stated, since it is essentially adhoc battlefield networking, which is also an old idea and certainly not something you need optical computing to achieve (especially considering some current technologies under research). Also, I'm not sure about the service ceiling since I suspect the turbofan is going to stall well before you reach the necessary altitude where there is sufficient vacuum to engage the VASIMR's.

@Killman. Looks nice, I like the SABRE engines. It seems kind of small but that can change with the model. Some of the additional features you've included seem to make a copilot redundant. On the EW, you can't jam a passive sensor, the best you can try and do is hide from it which is virtually impossible because of what a passive sensor conceptually is. I don't think it is something that designers need to concern themselves with though, since actually creating even a half decent passive sensor for military application is a monumentally difficult technical undertaking. In the additional features, as with brad's design, you could probably save money on the stealth paint since it never seemed to help us verses our enemies anyway. The money is probably better invested in some sort of tel'tak based cloak which would be more effective against a wider array of threats anyway, including passive sensors.

Comment

Can I just point out that scramjets can go upto Mach 25.

Comment

^They are as fast as it gets but the fact that they need supersonic airflow speeds to produce any thrust makes them pretty useless for a interceptor craft. What you want is a hybrid setup like the SABRE engines on killmans model, since they give you thrust at virtually any speed. Sure they'll never do mach 25, but I'm not sure what one could realistically hit in the upper atmosphere traveling at that speed. You might as well just get into orbit.

Comment

Scramjets might be useful on a dropship. You have a booster mechanism (maybe a large-muzzle rail gun) on the orbiting ship which shoots the dropship out (think Vipers or Slipfighters), and then the Scramjet kicks in. You fly to your target faster than the blink of an eye, close the scramjet, and activate some sort of VTOL (possibly two small, rotating turbofans on each side of the ship, four total).

Of course, that only works inbound, not outbound.
                          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

I've worked out a way of doing it, it's all good.

Here's mine:
                            Spoiler:

Vortex class- Attack fighter– F-310
                            -Designation: F-100
                            -Type: Small attack ship
                            -Role: Fighter
                            -Users: Earth and its Colonies
                            -Builders: Tauri

-Length: 19 metres
                            -Width: 14 metres
                            -Height: 8 metres
                            -Volume: 2128 m3
                            - Material: Trinium/Titanium
                            - Hull cost: $2.6 million
                            -Skeleton Material: Trinium/Carbon Weave
                            - Skeleton cost: $2.0 million
                            -Mass: 29 tonnes

-Capacity:
                            ~Crew: 2
                            ~Maximum Capacity: N/A

-Powerplant: 1x Mk II Naquadah generator - $17.5 million

-Propulsion:
                            ~ 2x small ion engines - $14 million
                            ~2x scramjets - $10 million
                            ~1x prototype nuclear fission booster - $15 million
                            ~1x small gaould hyperspace window generator - $250 million*

-Armament:
                            ~2x Mk II railguns (limited to 200 rounds per minute) - $3.6 million
                            ~ 8x Naquadah enhanced AIM120D missiles - $2.8 million

-Additional Technology:
                            ~ Fighter Targeting Systems - $50 million
                            ~ Laser guidance system - $15 million
                            ~CON system - $15 million
                            ~ Inertial Dampeners - $15 million
                            ~ Heads Up Display - $2.5 million
                            ~Stealth Technlogy - $4.5 million
                            ~ Sensor Jamming Technology - $5 million

Total cost: $425 million
                            Total cost without hyperdrive: $175 million

*optional hyperdrive

~Technical and Historical Notes~
                            The Vortex class fighter is based upon the GR4 Tornado, although the fighter is slightly bigger than its predecessor. The fighter’s main task is as a multi-purpose fighter which is capable of planetary defence and space warfare. The Vortex uses a combination of scramjet engines for atmospheric manoeuvring a fission based booster for space flight and ion engines for takeoff and landing. The top speed of the scramjet is between Mach 20 and Mach 25. So it is possible to achieve orbit speed with the scramjets alone, but it isn’t advisable. To go from atmospheric to space, the ion engines are reactivated. In space, the ion engines can get the ship upto 15kms-1 and with the booster, the speed goes upto 40kms-1. In the atmosphere, the ion engines can achieve Mach 2 in 10 seconds and then the scramjet kicks in, providing 100 MW of power is put through the two engines. The fighter’s hull is made up of a trinium/titanium alloy and the skeleton is made of a trinium/carbon weave. This is essentially a mix of trinium weaved in with carbon fibre and helps to disperse energy around the fighter. The Vortex has the latest breakthroughs in “misguiding technology” such as sensor jamming and the latest stealth technology. Laser guiding technology is used for the railguns and the modified AIM-120D missiles.

Energy quota:

Defence:
                            Hull: 7.6 MT
                            Skeleton: 2.8MT

Offensive:
                            Tomahawk missiles: 1.6MT
                            Railguns: 20.68kT

Total number by 2025: 2,000 (200 for Colonies, 300 for Earth, 1,500 for ships)

Last edited by Davidtourniquet; 30 June 2010, 03:57 PM.

Comment

... Tomahawk data seems to indicate that each missile is over 6m long and over 0.5 m in diameter. Where would 8 of them go on a 19m long craft? The missile itself also appears to be subsonic.

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
                                ... Tomahawk data seems to indicate that each missile is over 6m long and over 0.5 m in diameter. Where would 8 of them go on a 19m long craft? The missile itself also appears to be subsonic.
                                Well I've got time to think about a new drive to power the Tomahawk missile. Also, at 0.5m in diameter the wings can easily hold 4 on each wing.

Comment

Working...
                                X