Clear All

Current count:

Valiant: 1
    Gaia: 4
    Dreadnought: 2
    Athens: 7
    Luna: 0

Voters:
    Davidt (2/2), Thekillman (2/2), Awinita (1/1), Crazy Tom (1/1), Bradly08 (1/1), Mcoy (2/2), Blackluster (1/1), fugiman (1/1), Immhotep (2/2), Experiment 442 (1/1)
    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

So what is wrong with my specs to warrant it doing so badly?

Comment

I don't know why others didn't vote for it, but to me it seemed a bit overpowered. Gaia, Dreadnought, and Athens all seem more in line with the setting.

There was nothing wrong with the ship itself; it probably would have done well in a different setting.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
          So what is wrong with my specs to warrant it doing so badly?
          In my opinion? It's a bland design, incorporating absolutely nothing new in terms of tech or tactics, very old school 3.0 style. And I've got issue with the weak ion main drives.

And I mean no offense with the above critique.

Comment

Hey guys I know replicating drones is out of the question but do you think in this fleet we will have a neural interface like the ancients chair that we could use to control missiles as to avoid enemy fire?
            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
            A Face you Can Trust
            sigpic
            So whats the worst that could happen?
            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

I'm sorry, but people have obviously not looked at everyone's specs as the Dreadnought is only costed at $2.4 billion and people are voting for it.
              Killman's ship is more overpowered than mine.
              Mine balances energy weapons and nukes better than anyones.

To answer crazy tom's point: It uses the tech that was agreed upon in the standarisation and it is new tech compared to that used in SG1/SGA. Weak Ion drives? They have a massive specific impulse.
              What was the point of me making those standarisation tables if no ones going to use them?
              Last edited by Davidtourniquet; 28 June 2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fugi
                Hey guys I know replicating drones is out of the question but do you think in this fleet we will have a neural interface like the ancients chair that we could use to control missiles as to avoid enemy fire?
                It's possible but you'd probably find a counter-counter measure embedded system on the missile would probably be more effective and faster than a person trying to do it from a via a specially made interface. It's hard to make the missile end disposable and still feasible. Having a simplistic VR/augmented reality control interface for a non-disposable platform like a scout drone or probe might be a cool idea though.

Originally posted by DT
                I'm sorry, but people have obviously not looked at everyone's specs as the Dreadnought is only costed at $2.4 billion and people are voting for it.
                I tried my best to rework PJOZ's original using your tables and as far as I could tell there isn't single piece of tech in that revised version that violates the component distributions you outlined or integrates them in inordinate amounts. I lifted the terminology you used straight off your tables as well. The only thing I didn't correct was the costing which I asked you about before and you simply commented was inaccurate. If you had submitted errata since then, then a comment when the revised specs first appeared was the time, not now after the fact.
                Last edited by blackluster; 28 June 2010, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                  Self replicating drones are not out of the question. Whatever we may say, the fact that the replicators did exist, and because of their obvious success, the reverse engineering of their technology would be a huge priority to the R&D people of every species in the know about them. Granted, it'll be a long, long time before anyone gets anything nearly as god as that, but I would not rule out self replicating "Beserker" factories.

A DNI is completely acceptable, Earth has bumped into at least a dozen different neural interface technologies, and has working examples of a few. The benefits would make their development a very high priority. Through their capability may not be quite what your asking, jamming and countermeasures are likely to degrade the effectiveness of that sort of direct control.

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
                  Killman's ship is more overpowered than mine.
                  Mine balances energy weapons and nukes better than anyones.

To answer crazy tom's point: It uses the tech that was agreed upon in the standarisation and it is new tech compared to that used in SG1/SGA. Weak Ion drives? They have a massive specific impulse.
                  Cost however can be edited later on. true perhaps, but a tech list is inherently bland, and while standardization is all very god and well, but only up to a point. A certain percent of what makes any successful design successful is that it presents new tactics ans technologies.

Compared (in real life) to NPP pr even VASIMR, they have pitiful SI. Especially compared to NPP.

Comment

So basically, it's yeah let's do some standardisation, it's ok I'll just make up with everything. If I knew everyone was going to do that I wouldn't have bothered. That's not the point Tom, the suggestion from that is that the ship can be built for that price. Oh mine's overpowered, oh it's ok you can vote for it, it can be editted later. If you think I'm angry, I am, because I feel cheated.

Comment

I used the tables.
                      sigpic

Comment

I know you did Mcoy, but its obvious that your specs are somehow 7 times better than mine, even though there isn't much of a difference between them.

I feel like I've been kicked in the face twice: first with the specs and second by my work on the standardising.

Comment

I'm sorry you feel that way, and I have to say that the uncertain nature of these votes and the foggy mission descriptions is the main reason I don't actively submit things for the Earth fleet.

Comment

See I've tried to give a good description of the ship and what it's used for but no-one seems to want that.
                            I just feel that people say oh we need this and this in a ship, someone does it and then people vote on something because it has a pretty name.

Comment

Hardly, if that were true I would have gone for Dreadnought, I'm quite fond of Independence War you know.

I have to say that voting for human ships is really the part of any fleet that I least look forward to. The lack of any singular vision about what our fleet should be like translates into a handful of similar but largely unimpressive designs, that usually boast one or two interesting features that grab the public's attention and draw votes. This is my reading into the situation anyways. I could be wrong.

Comment

That was more a comment directed at someone who said something earlier.
                                What I don't understand is: in 3.0 when I suggested new tech like the fusion drives and a few others, I was shouted down, now instead, new tech is now what is desired. I just think that if nothing gets through from me or no-one sticks to the standardisation, then I've made no contribution to this fleet and I'm wasting my time. I said that the standardisation stuff was for 2025, when we are picking up the story and that new technology can come in afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X