No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you do realise such a cloak is very different?

also i think cloaking as human tech should stay offlimits for the time being

Comment

Yeah I know, it's only a visual cloak, an enemy would still "see" you on sensors. But it would be a great plus ground atmospheric engagements and fighter vs fighter duels.

Oh and yes, the F307's are now F100's.

You also mentioned that they seemed the same as the F302's. I suppose they could be distinguished in the same way as a F/A 18A is to the F/A 18 EF's are, bigger, more power, greater range and payloads.
      My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
      sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Can I ask are scanner on most ships radar based or looking for heat signatures because if they are then it would be easy all you need to do have a heat sink in the ship and then have the ship painted black

Comment

Originally posted by guppy338 View Post
          Can I ask are scanner on most ships radar based or looking for heat signatures because if they are then it would be easy all you need to do have a heat sink in the ship and then have the ship painted black
          Since we have no idea how our potential enemies sensor systems work, one can only assume. So yes incorporating that idea has good merits.

Comment

Originally posted by guppy
            Not really, to paraphrase a quote from an engineering presentation, a heat sink isn't some magical device that removes heat from existence, all it does is move heat from where you don't want it to somewhere else.

In terms of sensors, even pure earth tech would use an array of different sensors that are optimized to perform specific functions. One would expect to find at least 3 independent radars operating in different bandwidths with different parameters and antenna configurations, in addition to optics which would be used in conjunction with the radars, plus infrared (which could fall under optics) plus any other exotic sensors you could come up with. All these together would comprise the sensor system. Considering also the ambiguous nature of Goa'uld and Asgard sensors which earth has access to, it greatly complicates the answer to the question of how effective an earth created cloak would be. Personally, I don't think it would help at all, not because it is impossible in canon, but simply because the existing canon alien systems aren't well enough explained. All we know is that generally, system A can detect event B, and cloaking device G can hide from sensor system A. I don't think getting into technicalities beyond that is really feasible.

Comment

Well black is a good colour anyway I'm looking over the radar specs now of our new destroyers (our Aussie Navy) quite impressive, similiar to the Arleigh Burke, only the next gen.

Comment

On the topic of spacesuits, I think it's long overdue we got some armored skin-suits. And cloaks, as in the magical subspace-field interaction ones, I think would not be off limits to us, keep in mind that the Goa'uld never seemed to mass produce much of anything, so a lot of tech that right now seems really expansive, we could probably bring into a more manageable range later.

Give a decade or so, and I bet we'll finally see FTL capable missiles, the same way ICBMs replaced bombers during the cold war, through the analogy only goes so far.

Comment

Another decade might bring some surprises in the real world arena as far as space engine units go, there are about 50 or so feasible high velocity long range ideas in the works as we speak. ya never know where we might end up

Comment

oh good the Admiral is here I have a question for one with mil;itary experiance and current military work; I asked it before, but none know the answer, so i wonder, what is the average age for the youngest in a branch of the armed forces of a country, for example, yours?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

In the United States the youngest you can be is 17 to serve however you need your guardian to sign off on that if not you have to wait to be 18 for any branch in the US military

As for other countries I'm not sure because it really depends on what you consider a country, I mean there are unfortunately children in Africa who are soldiers there who work for some of the worst people on this planet

But for Western Countries I think that most are 18 but I'm not to sure on that
                      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                      A Face you Can Trust
                      sigpic
                      So whats the worst that could happen?
                      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

I believe most countries today the entry age for both Academy and general entry is 18. Some are 17. We do have apprentice schemes for the trades, minimum year 10 HS pass, so that would be about 16 years old. Years ago in the 60's it was as low as 15 and a half for apprentices and 17 for general entry here.

A junior musician is the only exception here. They can join at 15, but have 3 years of intensive training after that.

Comment

Actually I made a mistake. Earth is supposed to be in the galactic west roughly midway between core and outer edge, Alesia would be the far galactic north right on the very edge. Tatarus would be in the Galactic south near the edge as well. ChiYou would be south east section of the galaxy. Yu would be in the far east....ironic. Aschen would be between Yu's territory and Alesian territory
                          sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Actually when looking at the SGC planet map in the briefing room, the Aschen homeworld is the next closest to Earth after Abydos. Yu's home planet was known to be nearer to Kheb

Comment

Yes.... Yu in the far east of the galaxy..... ironic in deed when one chats like this..... Personally I like ther map you have provided, all one has ot do though is flip it backwards and look at it from behind perhap?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                                Actually when looking at the SGC planet map in the briefing room, the Aschen homeworld is the next closest to Earth after Abydos. Yu's home planet was known to be nearer to Kheb
                                alright so Aschen would be prob wedged between Earth and Alesian empire somewhere with abydos. Kheb could be in the East too.....
                                sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Working...
                                X