Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Journey through Stargate SG1 - episode by episode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your opinions are continually intriguing. I would give that episode a 3 out of 5 as well, actually. Interestingly, however, it's an episode a lot of people would sooner give a 1.
    If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

It actually came very very close to being a 0 in all honesty. But what saved it (for me) was the fact that they did do something different by going against the grain of having English speaking aliens. The resolution lacked realism and quite frankly annoyed me. But I knew it had something to do with the plants and honestly never guessed it was something inaudible which was really cool rather than just having the same-old same-old of an alien taking human as host or a foreign disease. But the episode actually began as a 1 or 2.

Comment

I'm just one of those hard-to-define fans. I hate some episodes that tend to get decent reception with a passion, like 'Cold Lazarus', while I find this one entirely passable. It seems I'm damn near the only one out there, but regardless of your reasoning, I still do take solace in the fact that someone gave it a 3 besides me.

Plus, somehow I actually kind of liked the ending because Carter going 'I talk to my plants, okay' actually manages to elicit a slight chuckle from me. My late grandmother was a gardener and I'll never forget her going 'good, so do I' when we saw the episode for the first time. Like, she actually said that... to the television. In response to Carter.

That might be why I like the episode, actually. Oops.
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

2.20: Show and tell

I really enjoyed the new adversary that was introduced for this episode. Even for today's standards, the CGI was terrific. I also like the concept of them being invisible to the naked eye. Unfortunately, I just wasn't convinced at their ability to be menacing or persistent. I was equally unconvinced that the SG1 team had effectively resolved the issue simply because there is no way of doing it.

For starters, what is to actually simply prevent another army of them sneaking into the base? Sure, SG1 have been issued with a few weapons that could help detect them, but given that the new enemy's strategy is akin to that of a suicide bomber, surely defeat is inevitable given that they cannot be seen. This is especially problematic since they are vast in numbers.

However, the concept of the enemy is good. But maybe they needed to be reduced in their numbers. My producer recommendation would be to only have 5 of them. For example, Show and Tell could have revolved around a single Re'tu terrorising the base. It could take a full episode just to exterminate one. So the next time when they encounter 2 or 3, the encounter is all the more thrilling.

Instead, Show and tell left too many gaping holes to really consider them as an ongoing concern. A real shame because they were a brilliant enemy. Overall, the episode suffered from SG1 being too resilient coupled with an enemy that were too ruthless and cunning. It can really only go 1 way.

2.5 out of 5
          Last edited by TryWhistlingThis; 28 November 2009, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
            2.20: Show and tell

I really enjoyed the new adversary that was introduced for this episode. Even for today's standards, the CGI was terrific. I also like the concept of them being invisible to the naked eye. Unfortunately, I just wasn't convinced at their ability to be menacing or persistent. I was equally unconvinced that the SG1 team had effectively resolved the issue simply because there is no way of doing it.

For starters, what is to actually simply prevent another army of them sneaking into the base? Sure, SG1 have been issued with a few weapons that could help detect them, but given that the new enemy's strategy is akin to that of a suicide bomber, surely defeat is inevitable given that they cannot be seen. This is especially problematic since they are vast in numbers.

However, the concept of the enemy is good. But maybe they needed to be reduced in their numbers. My producer recommendation would be to only have 5 of them. For example, Show and Tell could have revolved around a single Re'tu terrorising the base. It could take a full episode just to exterminate one. So the next time when they encounter 2 or 3, the encounter is all the more thrilling.

Instead, Show and tell left too many gaping holes to really consider them as an ongoing concern. A real shame because they were a brilliant enemy. Overall, the episode suffered from SG1 being too resilient coupled with an enemy that were too ruthless and cunning. It can really only go 1 way.

2.5 out of 5
            I gotta agree with you there. Just don't get your hopes up about getting more info about the Re'tu.....
            sigpic

Comment

2.21: 1969

This episode saw the series take a return to form. While debatable as to the manipulation of the timeline, it worked quite well. These types of stories are a chicken or the egg scenario. Had Hammond stopped them from going through the gate, it was explained that Hammond's fate would be unknown and he would potentially not be assigned to the SG complex. On the other hand, how would he have been aware of this in the first place before the SG program even existed? In this case, he was made aware as a young man by the SG1 team. BUT, was this always the case? Surely he would have been assigned before any of this happened? I know this sounds confusing and i'm really struggling to articulate myself here. Ummm...nope, nothing. Sorry.

4 out of 5

Comment

I like your "chicken and egg" commentary about Hammond. I always think of Capt Janeway in Voyager who said "time travel makes my head hurt" or something to that effect.

And Teal'c gettin' down and groovy in his 70's threads was just too awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Pic View Post
                  I like your "chicken and egg" commentary about Hammond. I always think of Capt Janeway in Voyager who said "time travel makes my head hurt" or something to that effect.
                  I think it's also worth quoting Doctor Who:

"People think time is a chain of linear events. It's not. It's a...big ball of...wibbly wobbly...timey wimey bits."

Anyhow, onto the S2 finale.

2.22: Out of Mind

A lot of people can't stand clipshows and I can understand why. I personally don't mind them as long as they serve some relevance to the plot at hand rather than the protagonist merely reminiscing on moments passed. The best part of the clips here was the throwback to the chamber that was akin to the United Nations. It just helped to cement some concepts that were covered this season.

I felt the plot itself was a little predictable though, certainly not as thrilling as the S1 finale. I especially thought the final minute lacked anything cutting edge as Hathor tormented them with the serpant. It was really nothing new to a threat they have faced before.

Certainly not a bad episode but I did expect more from a Season closer and especially from a Season as brilliant as this.

In summary, Season 2 has been great, i've loved it. Season 3 starts next week

3.5 out of 5

Comment

2.22: Out of Mind

A lot of people can't stand clipshows and I can understand why. I personally don't mind them as long as they serve some relevance to the plot at hand rather than the protagonist merely reminiscing on moments passed. The best part of the clips here was the throwback to the chamber that was akin to the United Nations. It just helped to cement some concepts that were covered this season.

I felt the plot itself was a little predictable though, certainly not as thrilling as the S1 finale. I especially thought the final minute lacked anything cutting edge as Hathor tormented them with the serpant. It was really nothing new to a threat they have faced before.

Certainly not a bad episode but I did expect more from a Season closer and especially from a Season as brilliant as this.

In summary, Season 2 has been great, i've loved it. Season 3 starts next week

3.5 out of 5
                    Yeah, I agree. In fact I think Out of Mind is my least favourite season finale. So Season 3 starts next week, and in my opinion it's even better than Season 2.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's best to move on from anything with Hathor as quickly as possible. The actress is great, but the stories they stuck her with are just weak. As for clip shows, I am not ashamed to say that the Season 6 clip show is actually one of my favorite episodes.

I think you're rating the episodes too high though. Well keep it up.

Comment

3.01: Into The Fire

I suppose it's only fitting that the show's (so far) weakest end of season cliffhanger is concluded with the show's weakest season opener. I just couldn't get into this one. The episode basically just did a retread of the themes that have repeatedly been covered in the show: a member of the SG1 team being faced with the prospect of having a symbiant in them, T'ealc returning home only to be treated an outcast, members of the SG1 team trying to reunite in the nick of time etc...

When compared to the Season 2 opener, by the end of the premier for S3, I just felt as though the SG1 team were in the same position they were in the final few episodes of S2. Whereas, at the beginning of S2, there were numerous revelations and character development. That was really lacking for this ep.

But, I did like the slicker looking CGI and it's nice to see them adding some more strength and endurance into the action and gun fights.

2 out of 5

Comment

3.01: Into The Fire

I suppose it's only fitting that the show's (so far) weakest end of season cliffhanger is concluded with the show's weakest season opener. I just couldn't get into this one. The episode basically just did a retread of the themes that have repeatedly been covered in the show: a member of the SG1 team being faced with the prospect of having a symbiant in them, T'ealc returning home only to be treated an outcast, members of the SG1 team trying to reunite in the nick of time etc...

When compared to the Season 2 opener, by the end of the premier for S3, I just felt as though the SG1 team were in the same position they were in the final few episodes of S2. Whereas, at the beginning of S2, there were numerous revelations and character development. That was really lacking for this ep.

But, I did like the slicker looking CGI and it's nice to see them adding some more strength and endurance into the action and gun fights.

2 out of 5
                          Don't worry season 3 has some great episodes coming up. Although the next one (Seth) is not that good either, it picks up after that.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi everyone,
                            I hope you all had a really great Christmas. Unfortunately, given that last week was so busy, I didn't get around to any SG1 so far. But not to worry, I intend to make up for last week's loss with a double feature this week.

Comment

Oh goody! What day will you do this double feature on?
                              sigpic

Comment

Most likely on Thursday but i'm trying to maybe do one night each. Tonight, I have 2 episodes of 24 and Sopranos (each) to catch up on. Then its:

Tuesday: 1 X Frasier, 1 X Star Trek: DS9

Wednesday: 1 X The Chaser, 1 X Doctor Who

Thursday: 1 X Father Ted, Stargate SG1

THat's pretty much how I go each week, so I doubt tonight i'll fit it in but I might be able to sneak an SG1 on the back of Doctor Who or just do two on Thurs. See how we go.

Comment

Working...
                                X