Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Journey through Stargate SG1 - episode by episode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm able to restrain myself because I watch other things through the week. It looks like this:

Sunday: The Sopranos (currently on S4)

Monday: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (currently on S6 - the best so far)

Tuesday: Battlestar Galactica (half way through S4, I can't wait to be finished to be honest. It's just got too dark and depressing. But I love the show for its first two seasons)

Wednesday: Doctor Who (currently up to DT's second series, rewatching all of the new DW so far since the show is on a semi-hiatus this year)

Thursday: SG1

Comment

I always like seeing people go through the series for the first time. Imo the first season of SG-1 was a good one with everything still fresh and new, but it lacked in execution for some episodes. For how high you're rating some episodes that are considered some of the "worst of the series" (Emancipation is considered really bad by some people), I'm guessing that you'll like the series (at least I hope you do). Season 2 is where the show really picks up imo (seasons 2-5 is my favorite period for SG-1 actually).
      "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
      "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

*waves*

I'm not that far ahead of you, I finished season 3, but I haven't started season 4.

Re: Enigma
        the guy's name was Omac and I've always maintained that he's a donkey's-rear. And the love interest with Narim isn't my favorite thing either.

I would flip around a couple of your ratings. Solitudes, for example, I would rate higher than Fire and Water. And Politics, while interesting, was basically a clip episode (saving the budget for the finale you're about to watch). Of course, it's all a personal opinion thing anyway, as long as we're enjoying it!

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the season finale!

Comment

I've been enjoying this thread also It is nice to read about someone else's perspectives.

Politics is one of the S1 episodes that stuck out the most for me ... mainly because at that point (when it was on Showtime) I had missed some episodes and there were some clips that had my interest piqued enough that I bought the box set as soon as it came out. Some episodes I recall missing and sitting on the edge of my seat as soon as I got my hands on the DVDs were "There But For The Grace of God" (nothing like seeing pt 2 without seeing pt 1!!!), The Nox, and The Broca Divide. Those are my favorites for season 1.

I don't think I missed an episode after Season 1 ...

Re Narim ... not one of my favorite love interests either ... *biting my tongue here ... can't wait until you get into season 2*

And Seasons 2 - 5 are my favorites as well, Season 3 especially

Comment

1.23: Within the Serpant's Grasp:

A strong finish to the first season and a very tragic farewell to Scar. I liked the unrelenting pace which this episode moved at. For once writing of the episode actually suited the purpose of the mission they were on. It put aside a lot of the filler that has been present in previous episodes by injecting that void with thrill.

I'll be very interested to see how this is resolved, though I have some ideas.

5 out of 5

Comment

It's Skaara, not Scar. If it's him you're talking about. I agree with you completely about this episode. I've just finished my rewatch of season one, and I wont have enough money to buy season two for three weeks.
              sigpic

Comment

Man, hearing you go through the episodes has me wanting to get the sets again(had to sell them a while back to make the rent when I was out of work) and rewatch them.

I'm not big on Emancipation, but it's a good example of how different the cultures are that the team encounters out there. Plus it had Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, which is always a treat.
                It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
                --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
                  1.23: Within the Serpant's Grasp:

A strong finish to the first season and a very tragic farewell to Scar. I liked the unrelenting pace which this episode moved at. For once writing of the episode actually suited the purpose of the mission they were on. It put aside a lot of the filler that has been present in previous episodes by injecting that void with thrill.

I'll be very interested to see how this is resolved, though I have some ideas.

5 out of 5
                  Yea, I kinda fangirl'd on the season 1 finale on my rewatch. It's really a gripping one. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the season 2 opener!

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post

1.10: Brief Candle

4 out of 5

1.15: Hathor

1 out of 5

1.18: Enigma

2.5 out of 5

1.19: Solitudes

3 out of 5

1.22: Politics

5 out of 5
                    Kinda interesting to hear someone's thoughts as they watch the show for the first time.

It's surprising to me that you gave Brief Candle and Politics (a clip show! ) such high ratings, but Enigma and Solitudes get average ones. Solitudes in particular was very good. Hmph. Couldn't agree more on Hathor though, hated it when I watched it the first time and I'm never rewatching it again.

Anyways, looking forward to reading what you think about the S2 premiere when compared to the finale. I think it's the best premiere they ever did. Let's see if you'll agree with me.
                    sigpic
                    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

This could be turned into a book you know

Comment

Ok, season 2 opener.

2.01: The Serpent's Lair

Overall, I felt this episode maintained the pace that it had set for itself at the end of Season 1. Usually with two part episodes, I find that there is only 1 thing that can kill them - the second part. For the most part, this wasn't the case. The resolution was believable. However, I obviously blinked at the wrong moment, but do they ever explain how Daniel got into the regeneration casket? That part was really random.

However, everything else worked fine. The action, the story and the characters. I must admit I was expecting the production to be taken up a notch for Season 2. It's not bad in any way, but it's just very consistent with the "feel" of season 1 in terms of the lighting, CGI and cinematography.

Other than that, a promising opener. Until next week.

4 out of 5.

Comment

Explain it? Well, all the Jaffa were either prepping for launch or dead or trying to get off the ship. So, he had the opportunity to make his way to the sarcophagus.

I loved it more than the first part. Lots of touching moments, great action, funny moments, it's pretty much a perfect 'team' episode.

Get going on the rest of Season 2 already!
                          sigpic
                          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Not to be picky, but from the way he was crawling along the floor, it doesn't look as though he'd have the strength in his body to raise himself into sarcophagus. But, I can move on from it.

Bare in mind, all the nit-picking is coming from someone who forgave George Lucas for allowing Indiana Jones to both escape and surive a nuclear bomb blast from climbing inside a lead lined fridge and literally be blown to the other side of the desert. Or James Bond speeding a motorcycle off a ledge followed by throwing himself off the bike in mid air, climbing into the plane, getting into the cockpit and piloting the descending plane from certain doom all within thirty seconds.

So I can allow this one to slide

Comment

I imagine you can pull the last few ounces of strength in your body to save yourself if you know that you will die if you don't.
                              However i havent been in a situation like that so i wouldnt know for sure
                              Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
                              Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

I'll go with MathiasE on this, I'm assuming adrenaline would give a person the extra kick they needed. Besides, it's Daniel, And Daniel... well... he... um....it's just that.... er.... uh... that would be spoiler-ish I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X