Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Journey through Stargate SG1 - episode by episode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pic View Post
    I'll go with MathiasE on this, I'm assuming adrenaline would give a person the extra kick they needed. Besides, it's Daniel, And Daniel... well... he... um....it's just that.... er.... uh... that would be spoiler-ish I suppose.
    Daniel's a survivor. Let's just leave it at that.
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by MathiasE View Post
      I imagine you can pull the last few ounces of strength in your body to save yourself if you know that you will die if you don't.
      However i havent been in a situation like that so i wouldnt know for sure
      You can.

I'm also starting from scratch with season 1. I'm right at the beginning of CotG, when that ass recruits O'Neill back into action.

"Queen to King" Heh. I never realized the significance of that until now.
      It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
      --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

2.02: In the line of duty

Well there's nothing like a loud, busy and explosive introduction to get the episode moving! I probably should take back my previous comment regarding the lack of Production development for Season 2. This opening sequence clearly shoots that in the foot.

Once again, Amanda Tapping has outdone herself with her acting. At first, I was concerned that she would revisit the the style that we saw in the Season 1 episode, The Broca Divide. The story at first started off slowly but developed nicely along the way. At first, it felt as though it was just going to be a cross between The Broca Divide and The Enemy Within. To some extent, this is true.

But, to avoid the monotony, it introduced a promising story arc, The Tok'ra. I also enjoyed the gloomy X-Files feel to the episode too. However, some of the episode's slower moments slowed down the pace a little and fell back into the typical habit of "round table discussion, meeting in Hammond's office, looking at the wall chart etc...".

But certainly not a bad episode.

3 out of 5

Comment

Yeah, they certainly stepped it up a bit when it came to action and special effects this season. I personally really enjoyed Line of Duty. The Goa'uld assassin, Sam trying to get through the gate, Jack talking with the Tok'ra. Great stuff and on my first watch of it, I was honestly on the edge of my seat for most of the episode.

Go go go.
          sigpic

Comment

2.03: Prisoners

This was a very cool episode and almost better than the season opener. Firstly, the set design of the prison was completely original. How many sci-fi depictions of a prison have you seen that look like the inside of a freighter? Lost count? I know I have. I'm hoping that this story has established a recurring villain for the series because I think the Doctor is a wonderfully deceptive and intriguing one at that.

I must say though, I misunderstood how she got the codes necessary to activate the gate, dial an address and power down the complex, that was a little bit sudden. I enjoyed the ending in the dark though. Not a lot to criticise with this one as it had a good round of interesting characters, an involving story with a sharp twist.

4 out of 5

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
              2.03: Prisoners

This was a very cool episode and almost better than the season opener.
              I wouldn't go that far. But still, it's a lot better than what some people say, I think. Glad you liked it so much.

I must say though, I misunderstood how she got the codes necessary to activate the gate, dial an address and power down the complex, that was a little bit sudden.
              From the computer Carter was using?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post

From the computer Carter was using?

Hmmm...possibly. I missed it to be honest.

2.04: The Gamekeeper

A superb episode for this season and amongst the best for the entire show. I cannot fault this episode at all. The story had me sucked in from the word go. Dwight Schultz' (of Star Trek TNG/VOY fame) performance was stunning and totally unlike his Reginald Barkley character from the Star Trek franchise. I don't have much to talk about here as i just simply loved this episode.

5 out of 5

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
                  Hmmm...possibly. I missed it to be honest.

2.04: The Gamekeeper

A superb episode for this season and amongst the best for the entire show. I cannot fault this episode at all. The story had me sucked in from the word go. Dwight Schultz' (of Star Trek TNG/VOY fame) performance was stunning and totally unlike his Reginald Barkley character from the Star Trek franchise. I don't have much to talk about here as i just simply loved this episode.

5 out of 5
                  The only thing I could think of was Murdock from the A-Team. *shows my age*

I missed the little hurricane twirly images over the doors indicating the exits the first time I watched it. Did you pick up on that?

Comment

Me too. I always remember the A-Team when I see him.
                    But the episode was quite good.

Always thinking of: "was that real or are they sleeping? And now is it real????"
                    So what would you think about Alar?
                    I'm not sure he is concealing something.
                    What do you think it is?
                    I do not know. He's concealing it!

Comment

Originally posted by Pic View Post

I missed the little hurricane twirly images over the doors indicating the exits the first time I watched it. Did you pick up on that?
                      The one on the steel door at the end I think? Yes, I saw that a few times. I perceived that as the motif for the episode.

Sorry i'm late with the review for this week, just had a busy one.

2.05: Need

With all the times that Daniel Jackson has died, i'm surprised two things don't occur:

1) Ask him if there is any evidence of an afterlife or god

2) use him as bait to lure the enemy into some kind of trap. He makes a fine job of it

In reference to those things though, I chuckled at O'Neill's comment that Jackson has a habit of coming and going when it comes to dying. With this episode, I didn't quite feel comfortable. It was well performed and had some interesting ideas which help to give some further background to the Goauld, but the themes just seemed a little depressing for Stargate: suicide and substance addiction.

But I had always wondered why any of the enemies they had defeated just don't repeatedly use the sarcophagus to regenerate and spring back onto their feet. On the other hand, Daniel seemed to overcome his addiction quite quick, whereas, at the end of the episode, it was strongly implied that any effort of helping anyone else with their substance abuse would be a prolonged commitment. I suppose that they had been using the sarcophagus far longer than him, but some things just conveniently slipped into place when they needed to in the interests of coinciding with the conclusion of the episode.

So far, it's the low point for Season 2, however, it gets the job done.

3 out of 5

Comment

While I think 5 out of 5 for Gamekeeper is a bit much, I agree what it's a somewhat underrated episode. Loved seeing O'Neill and Daniel's pasts and them having to go through those moments over and over again.

Need is a strange one for me as well. Most of the episode doesn't do much for me, but that scene near the end with Daniel pointing a gun at Jack remains one of my favorites of the entire series. If you ever get to Atlantis, you'll realize how well SG-1 handled it's characters/friendships compared to that show.

Hurry up and get to "Secrets" already because it's one of the best episodes of 'classic SG-1'.
                        sigpic

Comment

Need is one of my favorite episodes of season 2, personally I would give it atleast a 4 out of 5
                          You have wasted several seconds of your life reading this.

Comment

I'm kind of on the fence about 'Need'. Overall I liked the episode (I really can't think of an episode that I don't find some enjoyment from watching). I think MS did a good job portraying addiction, but what was the point? Yes, yes, the sarcophagus has hidden dangers and even the sun burns if you get too much ~ lead a life of moderation, don't do drugs, etc. I'm not sure Stargate ever really did that good of a job with the 'moral message' type episodes. "Just say no!" Um, ok. Was the point to give Daniel some more depth? Cement the team bond? Another woman falling for the geeky (albeit gorgeous) archeologist? Still not sure where it fit into the scheme of things. Were they trying to move away from a plot device (sarcophagus bringing back the dead)?

Comment

@Pic
                              I was under the impression the whole point of the addiction and effects of the sarcophagus in the episode was to give a little insight as to why the Goa'uld are so messed up and bats*** insane.
                              sigpic

Comment

2.06: Thor's Chariot

A nice throwback to Season 1 this week. I enjoyed this because it shows the flaws of the team and the long term impact of some of their decisions. With any sci-fi series, I often wonder why it is that with all of the exploring and adventuring, why is it that we hardly ever see the long term impacts instead of just the rainbow coloured resolution.

Judging by the ending of this episode, it looks like we'll be seeing some more of Hathor's son. It will also be interesting to know if the Chariot permenantly guards the planet or not. I suppose the only real issue remaining is that if T'ealc is the only Goauld who can walk the planet, does this mean that the Jaffa will find a way to clone his DNA and exploit the new security that way? Time will tell.

I do need to mark down though for the almost mid sentence ending and the "grey" alien.

4 out of 5

Comment

Working...
                                X