Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Journey through Stargate SG1 - episode by episode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am thrilled with this thread, I started watching Sg1 for the first time this year (re-runs on our Spacecast channel in Canada). Since I had missed many episodes by the time I started watching I blew my budget and bought the whole 10 season box set (I am now saving up for the box set of Atlantis)

I am "in love" with SG1, okay obsessed would be more accurate

So for me this thread is "Golden", thanks so much for starting it TWT
    General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

Originally posted by missmobius View Post
      I am thrilled with this thread, I started watching Sg1 for the first time this year (re-runs on our Spacecast channel in Canada). Since I had missed many episodes by the time I started watching I blew my budget and bought the whole 10 season box set (I am now saving up for the box set of Atlantis)

It's a pleasure

I promise not to let this thread die until I have seen every single SG1 ep and telemovie.

Sorry this review is late, I did watch an ep last Thursday but was just too busy afterwards to post a review.

The Tok'ra (Part 2)

I must say, one thing this show does better than any other show is making two-part stories that are consistently compelling. As with The Serpant's Lair, this was brilliant! It's opened up some new story threads for the characters and the war between Earth and the G'ould. I also have to stand corrected in my previous week's criticism of having Carter's Father in the story, there clearly was a purpose for it and it was well used. Loved it.

5 out of 5

Comment

Originally posted by missmobius View Post

It's a pleasure

I promise not to let this thread die until I have seen every single SG1 ep and telemovie.

Sorry this review is late, I did watch an ep last Thursday but was just too busy afterwards to post a review.

The Tok'ra (Part 2)

I must say, one thing this show does better than any other show is making two-part stories that are consistently compelling. As with The Serpant's Lair, this was brilliant! It's opened up some new story threads for the characters and the war between Earth and the G'ould. I also have to stand corrected in my previous week's criticism of having Carter's Father in the story, there clearly was a purpose for it and it was well used. Loved it.

5 out of 5

Comment

This has been a joy to read. Keep up the hard work and dedication, and above all, enjoyment.

I'm most excited to see what you think of the last couple of seasons. Some feel they weren't up-to-snuff with earlier years, but I disagree. That's the nature of such a long-running franchise, though, eh?
          If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Absolutely, it happened to the best of them. Just look at Doctor Who in the late 1980s and Star Trek in the early 2000s, it happens but as proven by DW and ST, it doesn't stop them from becoming good again.

Comment

Oh, yes indeed. Although I do believe SG-1 as a whole never really fell apart much at all. The last few seasons develop into something more different from their earlier forms than the previous seasons did from one-another, but again, such is the nature of long-running franchises.

More on-topic, perhaps -- these early-episode reviews are really making me want to kick it old-school sometime soon. My girlfriend got into the series recently because she watched SGU's premiere a couple of weeks ago and then sat through all of SG-1 Season 9 with me (oops) and is going into Season 10. When she's done with 9, 10 and the two telefilms, I plan on journeying backwards some twelve years to the movie and first season. Then she'll be doing what you're doing!
              If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Its funny because I'm actually re-watching the series right now and I just finished watching the Tok'ra 2-parter. Season 2 has some really good episodes, Tok'ra being one of them and also The Fifth Race which is one of my personal favorites from all of Stargate.

Its always cool to read the reviews of someone going through the series for the first time, I know there have been some other threads like this one and they are all fun to read.
                sigpic

Comment

2.14: Touchstone

Now this is what I consider to be a classic! Every moment of this episode had me hooked. It was actually the first episode in this series which made me look at my watch and think "that was 42 minutes?". I'm definitely a sucker for conspiracy stories, so I felt right at home here when they set it in Area 51, even though it didn't quite reflect how I expected it to look. They even threw in my favourite character of all time that I love to hate: Commander "shut your face" Maybourne I'm glad that they left a few things a mystery as it will make for some very interesting follow up later. Who does (or did) Maybourne represent? Where did the guards dial off to? This is my favourite SG1 episode of all time so far. Less about the action, more about the suspense. This is the stuff which makes sci-fi great, at times, moreso than the shooting and CGI. I loved it! I might even watch it again tomorrow.

6 out of 5

Comment

Wow, well I'm glad you enjoyed it! I love that episode too, it just doesn't get enough admiration. I was very interested in seeing your thoughts on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
                      This has been a joy to read. Keep up the hard work and dedication, and above all, enjoyment.

I'm most excited to see what you think of the last couple of seasons. Some feel they weren't up-to-snuff with earlier years, but I disagree. That's the nature of such a long-running franchise, though, eh?
                      Season 8 was originally the final season the 2 parter The Reckoning was supposed to be the finale. Season 9 and 10 were a little stale not because of the writing but because they had so much to do Atlantis, Amanda Tapping Pregnancy, Claudia Black Pregnancy, New Villain, 4 New Characters in so little time (40 episodes) I thought they did a pretty good job but Season 8 is where SG-1 really ends.

- Christine
                      Last edited by lkg1980; 17 October 2009, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lkg1980 View Post
                        Season 8 was originally the final season the 2 parter The Reckoning was supposed to be the finale. Season 9 and 10 were a little stale not because of the writing but because they had so much to do Atlantis, Amanda Tapping Pregnancy, Claudia Black Pregnancy, New Villain, 4 New Characters in so little time (40 episodes) I thought they did a pretty good job but Season 8 is where SG-1 really ends.

- Christine
                        I concur, really. I've always liked and will continue to like 9, 10 and the telefilms, but 8 has such awesome closure. The last five episodes of that season provide us quite a bit of finality and character goodness.

Comment

I love this thread but then it's cause my fave series is SG1!

the winning character combo, O'Neill, Jackson, Carter, Teal'c, Hammond and others is what makes this series so SPECIAL and makes me re-watch it over and over again, especially the first 5 years, Just like the winning combo on Seinfeld (very hard thing to combine 4 lovable strong characters), the SG1 combo is just next to impossible to duplicate (like they're failing with on SGU, hope they bring in some lovable character combos in that one very soon).
                          General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

Originally posted by lkg1980 View Post

- Christine
                            I agree. For me it feels like the "old" SG1 ends with Season 8 and the "new" SG1 starts with Season 9. Too bad that it ended with Season 10. We barely had enough time to get get to know all the new characters.
                            sigpic

Comment

2.15: A Matter of Time

Frankly, i'm getting a little concerned at just how consistently good this season has been. Another outstanding episode. How long can this spell of quality last? While this week the episode will not get a perfect score, it's definitely a Season highlight for me. I suppose I need to remove a point for the resolution as it was a little unclear to me. But, time and relative dimensions is something which many Universities accross the world devote 5 year long courses to, so it's no surprise.

From my understanding: the gate was charged with an explosive with the intention of replicating a similar outcome to that seen in Solitudes whereby the traveller (in this case a black hole) is thrown off course from the target gate in which they are travelling toward. So, in other words, they used an explosive to shove a black hole back into a worm hole? That doesn't seem feasible given that the anomalie was about to absorb a minimum of two planets which is a massive amount of energy and gravitational pull. But, I could also have it very very wrong too as I wasn't a keen science student in my secondary schooling period. Please correct me here.

There were also a few slow spots which, excuse the pun, slowed the momentum of the episode a little. But for the most part, the episode worked really well. I also believe that this is the first ep to not have an alien adversary, rather, one of nature. Love it.

4 out of 5

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
                                2.15: A Matter of Time

From my understanding: the gate was charged with an explosive with the intention of replicating a similar outcome to that seen in Solitudes whereby the traveller (in this case a black hole) is thrown off course from the target gate in which they are travelling toward. So, in other words, they used an explosive to shove a black hole back into a worm hole? That doesn't seem feasible given that the anomalie was about to absorb a minimum of two planets which is a massive amount of energy and gravitational pull. But, I could also have it very very wrong too as I wasn't a keen science student in my secondary schooling period. Please correct me here.
                                From what I remember of Solitudes, as Carter and O'Neill went through the gate it was hit with a massive amount of energy, which cause the other end of the wormhole to jump from the SGC gate to the Antarctica gate.

So in this episode, I believe they were trying to use the shaped charge at the SGC gate to make the other end of the wormhole connected to the gate near the blackhole jump to a different gate. This would then leave the outgoing wormhole from the SGC connected to another gate, which they'd then just have to shut down.

I'm glad you're enjoying this season, it's one of my favorites, and this episode in particular is one my favorites from the whole series.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X