Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Journey through Stargate SG1 - episode by episode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tawny View Post
    @Pic
    I was under the impression the whole point of the addiction and effects of the sarcophagus in the episode was to give a little insight as to why the Goa'uld are so messed up and bats*** insane.
    Ah yes, good point. I'm probably over-analyzing it in saying that they were trying to fix a plot problem. Someone's dead? Just dial up a sarcophagus.

Comment

2.7: Message in a Bottle

Another classic episode for me. I loved every moment of it from the opening shot of the Moon planet all the way to the closing credits. There didn't seem to be a bit of filler in this week's ep, even Daniel's ramblings about science and history seemed to fit perfectly without making me snore or groan. It reminded me of a really good episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.Well shot, well performed and a believable plot and resolution.

Flawless.

5 out of 5
      Last edited by TryWhistlingThis; 04 September 2009, 05:41 AM.

Comment

2.8: Family

Not as good as last week's episode, but still good. I thought some parts of it were quite predictable. The fact that they rescued T'ealq's son at only 28 minutes into the episode and got back to Earth suggested to me the worst was yet to come. And it did.

I had a feeling that his son would either be a carrier for a virus or maybe an imposter of some kind, in a way, he ended up being both. Also, as I expected, the resolution came quite quickly. I am surprised though that the G'ould haven't used this trick before by having a sleeper infiltrate SG1. While they did that with Carter and Kowalsky, I wonder why they don't have a seemingly innocent enough person to bring back to SG1 and sabotage them that way. Maybe that's still coming.

It was nice to see some more of T'ealq, the character is growing on me with each appearance. An episode that no doubt would have been a winner for Season 1, but given the calibre of writing and performances we've had so far in Season 2, it doesn't quite cut the mustard, good though it was. An easy episode to enjoy, but difficult to love.

3.5 out of 5

Comment

It's Teal'c.

Once again, it's interesting to see how different my views are to your's. I have personally never liked Message in a Bottle. It's one of the weakest episodes in Season 2 for me.

On the other hand, you pretty much nailed Family. "Easy to enjoy, hard to love" indeed.
          sigpic
          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Descent, our views on the show will be put to the test more than ever next week as i'm up to Secrets which you regard as a series highlight

Comment

2.9: Secrets

This was a pretty cool episode. Honestly, I felt it was a little slow in parts but I loved the continuity it has set up here. Firstly, we have the issue of where Daniel's wife (or ex depending how you interpret the ending) are.

I also enjoyed the convenient car fatality involving the nosy reporter. I'm hoping that this plot is picked up on later because surely he must have had some conspiracy nutters as friends. I just felt that the momentum of the show was slowed down a little with the career drama between Carter and her Father. Sure, it helped to add some more depth to the character, but compared to all of the other stuff that was happening in the episode, they stood as being the least interesting parts of the episode.

Nearly a classic, but not quite, Descent

4 out of 5

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
                Yes, but it's the episode where Jack utters the 2 L's comment.... makes it a classic for me.

Comment

2.9: Secrets

I also enjoyed the convenient car fatality involving the nosy reporter. I'm hoping that this plot is picked up on later because surely he must have had some conspiracy nutters as friends. I just felt that the momentum of the show was slowed down a little with the career drama between Carter and her Father. Sure, it helped to add some more depth to the character, but compared to all of the other stuff that was happening in the episode, they stood as being the least interesting parts of the episode.

4 out of 5
                  Well fine.

Honestly, Secrets is an episode that gets better and better for me every time I see it. And I think that's mainly because I understand a lot of what was going on in the episode a lot better now that I've seen what happens after it.

I do think it's a 'classic' though. It goes back to Abydos and you have the first appearance of Kasuf on the series. Horus Guards. It was very much like the movie, but... better.

And how can you not love Jack throwing that knife into Heru'ur's hand?! That was just so great.

As for who killed Selig...
                  Spoiler:
                  It's never addressed directly, but you can easily assume who did it after the season is over.
                  sigpic

Comment

I suppose when you look at 'classic' from that perspective, I understand why our two perceptions differ, which is cool. Personally, the moments that pay tribute to the film and the SG1 pilot don't phase me. When I watch SG1, all i'm looking out for is good writing, acting and action - something SG1 is generally providing very well (as with any series there are the down episodes, you have to expect that with 20+ eps a season).

For the most part, the plot device in the episode was great, just not the strongest it could have been in some areas. But did that make it a bad episode? Hell no!

Bane is next, watch this space

Comment

2.10: Bane

This was a really good episode but a worthy example of where I agree with the resolution, just not in the swift time it took them to do it in. Specifically, I refer to those moments were a symbiant or a character only has minutes to live, only to have the appropriate solution formulated just in the nick of time. I know, it's been a plot device of this type of story since its birth, but still, it does get to a point where it eliminates that element of fear.

This was that kind of episode. The resolution and situation was totally believable. I enjoyed all of the characters, including the antagonistic young teenager. I also enjoy the idea of Maybourne being told when to shut the hell up - pretty much whenever he opens his mouth. A terrific episode, I love it. The only thing that let it down was the "race against time" elements. Honestly, that feeling can be achieved simply by the facts of the situation: someone dying, a bomb about to go off, approaching enemy...i'd love to see them handle this type of thing without the need to make reference to "oh lord, 3 minutes left!". It's amazing what they achieve in those final seconds and minutes, believable though the resolution is, it's hard to actually imagine it happening within the time parameters they claim remains. On the other hand, it is unavoidable given that they do need some idea of how much time they have to play around with, but it would be interesting to see if it's possible to capture that "rush" without having to actually say it.

I'm under the impression that Stargate Universe might be a really good show for me to check out.

But for now, the show that matters.

4.5 out of 5.

Comment

2.11: Spirits

An episode this week that took some warming to get into. I thought the pace for the first 15 minutes was slow and could have easily been sped up. I just felt in places that Spirits dwelled on some facts that were made pretty obvious. That said, from the time that SG1 and SG11 return to the base, things do speed up and get interesting. It was nice to see the more corrupt side of the military come out this time around, it made Hammond out to be the most human that i've seen him.

Some great ideas, though, not entirely executed all that well.

3 out of 5.

Comment

An episode this week that took some warming to get into. I thought the pace for the first 15 minutes was slow and could have easily been sped up. I just felt in places that Spirits dwelled on some facts that were made pretty obvious. That said, from the time that SG1 and SG11 return to the base, things do speed up and get interesting. It was nice to see the more corrupt side of the military come out this time around, it made Hammond out to be the most human that i've seen him.

3 out of 5.
                          The stereo-typing of Native Americans bothered me a little, but I understand that SG stereo-types most cultures they "encounter" for the sake of the story, so *handwaves*

Thing of note regarding this episode is that it's Sam's first command.

Comment

Once again our views diverge... Bane... ughhh. It's one of those episodes that I'll probably never rewatch again. My least favorite of the season, along with Message. But hey, at least you enjoyed them.

Spirits. Kind of a strange one because Jack is gone for a good part of the episode. I don't mind it as much as other people do though. I'd probably give it a 2.5/5.
                            sigpic

Comment

Sorry that this review is a little late, just got caught up with some things.

2.12: The Tok'ra (Part 1)

Another classic episode for me. The first thing I need to note is the excellent design of the Tok'ra catacombs with the crystal lined walls. It even looks good today. The story build up tension quite well with a set of ironies with the title characters. I have to say that I felt having the side-plot of Carter's cancer striken Father was a little gratuitous.

The story of The Tok'ra operated fine without this. But, i'm certainly not saying this story thread has no place in SG1. I think it's a good one to have, but I think they could have saved it rather than the SG1 team arriving at the last minute to give Carter an update on her Father's status. We know the SG1 team want to return home, with or without her Father's illness.

What I really admired though was the fact that tension was built with minimal use of CGI and no action. It was purely about character and ideology.

Loved it.

5 out of 5

Comment

2.7: Message in a Bottle

Another classic episode for me. I loved every moment of it from the opening shot of the Moon planet all the way to the closing credits. There didn't seem to be a bit of filler in this week's ep, even Daniel's ramblings about science and history seemed to fit perfectly without making me snore or groan. It reminded me of a really good episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.Well shot, well performed and a believable plot and resolution.

Flawless.

5 out of 5
                                I love this ep too, the Jack/Teal'c moments were good. And I loved RDA's performance in this ep

2.10: Bane

This was a really good episode but a worthy example of where I agree with the resolution, just not in the swift time it took them to do it in. Specifically, I refer to those moments were a symbiant or a character only has minutes to live, only to have the appropriate solution formulated just in the nick of time. I know, it's been a plot device of this type of story since its birth, but still, it does get to a point where it eliminates that element of fear.

This was that kind of episode. The resolution and situation was totally believable. I enjoyed all of the characters, including the antagonistic young teenager. I also enjoy the idea of Maybourne being told when to shut the hell up - pretty much whenever he opens his mouth. A terrific episode, I love it. The only thing that let it down was the "race against time" elements. Honestly, that feeling can be achieved simply by the facts of the situation: someone dying, a bomb about to go off, approaching enemy...i'd love to see them handle this type of thing without the need to make reference to "oh lord, 3 minutes left!". It's amazing what they achieve in those final seconds and minutes, believable though the resolution is, it's hard to actually imagine it happening within the time parameters they claim remains. On the other hand, it is unavoidable given that they do need some idea of how much time they have to play around with, but it would be interesting to see if it's possible to capture that "rush" without having to actually say it.

I'm under the impression that Stargate Universe might be a really good show for me to check out.

But for now, the show that matters.

4.5 out of 5.
                                This is probablt one of my least favourite episodes of the series, I think I ended up daydreaming halfway through it

3 out of 5.
                                hehe, I can't help but smile every time I see the Indian guy, he's just so darn likable and cute

Sorry that this review is a little late, just got caught up with some things.

2.12: The Tok'ra (Part 1)

Another classic episode for me. The first thing I need to note is the excellent design of the Tok'ra catacombs with the crystal lined walls. It even looks good today. The story build up tension quite well with a set of ironies with the title characters. I have to say that I felt having the side-plot of Carter's cancer striken Father was a little gratuitous.

The story of The Tok'ra operated fine without this. But, i'm certainly not saying this story thread has no place in SG1. I think it's a good one to have, but I think they could have saved it rather than the SG1 team arriving at the last minute to give Carter an update on her Father's status. We know the SG1 team want to return home, with or without her Father's illness.

What I really admired though was the fact that tension was built with minimal use of CGI and no action. It was purely about character and ideology.

Loved it.

5 out of 5
                                Ah The Tok'ra. A very good two parter, Just goes to show you don't need action in every ep to make a good episode
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X