Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Journey through Stargate SG1 - episode by episode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YodaMate View Post
    Looking back that scene does make me cringe, but breaking it down, i think it shows how sexism was the elephant in the room both in-universe and out-of-universe.

Carter was designed as a female character who can literally do everything and thus there were risks attached that it could be perceived that her brilliance was given to her because she was a woman (it being politically incorrect to make the female character flawed)

I think this scene was designed to give her character a little vulnerability by making her a bit touchy on the subject. Even though the guys don't bring the subject up directly both she (and the audience) assume that they are at the very least thinking it and thus the subject is already present or will come up. Of course, the whole thing comes off a bit ham-fisted because it wasn't executed very well.

If the above two paragraphs make any sense to you, i will applaud your reasoning skills, since they don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Transition from mind to page... bad !

Strangely enough, it kinda does make sense.

I still cringed.

Comment

It's my first time watching SG-1 as well. I just started Season 7, however.

Comment

Hi everyone i'm back, I went quiet for a few weeks because I was doing exams for University, but I am back. Thanks so much for your feedback, both supportive and criticism. I have decided to actually continue with this thread, basically because its a great way to "diarise" my journey through the show but also keep it open for discussion in the forum. However, if official action is brought about (say moderator requests to discontinue), I will happily co-operate. Until then, the journey must go on!

Comment

1.9: The Nox.

This was quite an enjoyable episode, though the stubborn nature of The Nox sometimes got tiresome and possibly unrealistic, especially after having established the possible danger they were in. However, it was great to see a very rounded performance by former Star Trek: Deep Space Nine cast member, Armin Shirman (Quark). He delivered a character that was both alien and quirky, but in a way that was different to his famed Ferengi, Quark.

While some story glitches here and there, a satisfying installment.

3 out of 5.

1.10: Brief Candle.

This was a terrific O'Neill story where we saw a more vulnerable and humbled version of him. I quite enjoyed the concept of the aging process being accelerated as part of a sceince experiment. However, the resolution (as with a couple of other episodes in the season so far) seemed a bit last minute and came together a little conveniently, but, at the same time did not warrant a two-part episode. Not perfect, but very close.

4 out of 5

And yes, I will be returning to my one ep per week format, Thursdays.

Comment

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
            I'm starting in and attempting to catch up with you. I just watched Children of the Gods this morning as it was raining out and not a good day to do outside things anyway.

I agree with you about the special effects, they were nicely done. Especially that ship that dropped Apophis and party off at the gate on Chulak. Very seemless - to my untrained eye, at least.

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you about Sam and her initial scene in the briefing room. It made me cringe! Maybe I'm pulling in the rest of the entire series into that room with me, but she seemed too eager to prove her mettle with the menfolk. Just an opinion.

Here's another plug for one of Gateworld's social groups that I just started to go along with this. SG-1 Re-Watch Come join in!
            http://forum.gateworld.net/group.php?groupid=127
            I can imagine your cringing at Sam in her opening scene. For me (without sounding like a feminist), it kind of undermined the masculinst hegenomy of the millitary and demonstrated how women can and should be considered as equal as she rightly put O'Neill back in his spot.

In retrospect, I also felt the nudity was quite cheap in this episode too. That scene could have very easily implied nudity say...from the shoulders up or even a brief behind shot.

Comment

Ack! I'm still not caught up!
              I'm off to watch Cold Lazarus next, but it may have to wait until tomorrow. It should be a good weekend to do a mini-marathon - eh?

Comment

Sounds good! Once you've seen Brief Candle let me know and we'll book a date to post our weekly reviews. I look forward to working together

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
                  Sounds good! Once you've seen Brief Candle let me know and we'll book a date to post our weekly reviews. I look forward to working together
                  Well, I'll probably be doing it in fits and starts and may not do one a week. A sweltering hot weekend will drive me indoors and probably knock out 4-5 episodes at a time. At least I'll have the episodes relatively fresh in my mind once you get to them.

1 per week - you do realize that'll take something like 4 years, right? 1 disk per week (4-5 episodes) will take a year. Great that it'll keep you occupied with quality television for so long.

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
                  1.8: Cold Lazarus.

Excuse the pun, but this episode left me...well, a little cold. Compared to previous episodes such as The First Commandment, the story didn't seem compelling. I was also disappointed with the quick-fix resolution, not to mention the cringe-worthy moment where O'Neill takes the clone of his son to meet his Mother, only to explain to her that he is in fact not their son. That scene felt pointless and anti-climatic. However, I do have to praise this episode on further character development of O'Neill and getting a feel for his home life.

Overall, disappointingly uninspiring.

2.5 out of 5
                  I wasn't necessarily disappointed. I thought there were some funny scenes (as I outlined in the official episode thread) with Teal'c.
                  Yes, the episode was largely one of character development for Jack.

BTW, I'm watching via the complete series mega-box set and my episodes seem to be out of order. Gateworld, Scifi.com, and everywhere else seems to have this as episode # 1.06 while my box set has it as #1.07 with Brief Candle as 1.06. So, watching Brief Candle immediately before this episode drove home the Sara bit differently than the other way around I think.

This screencap was particularly funny to me, so I made an icon:
                  Spoiler:

Last edited by Pic; 19 July 2008, 10:23 AM. Reason: typo-freak

Comment

one episode a week ! how do you refrain ? I watch at least a disk a night and am on my 7th pass since receiving the 54 disk box set. one dvd per night will take you a year as there are 212 episodes and it'll grow on ya, especially with all the garbage thats on TV nowadays. I am glad Atlantis is such a great story as well "as I eagerly await like a wide eyed child for that next mission report". The Ark of Truth and Continuum are awesome - I only wish Continuum could've made it onto the big screen. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Kar'el View Post
                      one episode a week ! how do you refrain ? I watch at least a disk a night and am on my 7th pass since receiving the 54 disk box set. one dvd per night will take you a year as there are 212 episodes and it'll grow on ya, especially with all the garbage thats on TV nowadays. I am glad Atlantis is such a great story as well "as I eagerly await like a wide eyed child for that next mission report". The Ark of Truth and Continuum are awesome - I only wish Continuum could've made it onto the big screen. . . .
                      7th pass!?!?!?
                      I bow down. I'm not worthy.

This is my first re-watch (2nd pass) and I seem to be going around mid-pace - comparatively speaking. I blabber all over about it though, so I can see myself doing this again at some point.

TryWhistlingThis, you haven't thrown in the towel, have you?
                      Last edited by Pic; 20 August 2008, 04:33 PM. Reason: typo freak

Comment

Originally posted by DuncTK421 View Post
                        Thank you. I made sure the mods were ok with it before I began, and it's really become very enjoyable for me. I'm going to be sad when it's over.
                        Not to worry. I plan on doing something similar, time permitting, only geared to thoughts that occur to a person after repeated viewings. So you can do that too when the time comes. However, looks like you have enough to keep yourself busy for quite a while.

In my case though, I think that I will treat them one by one in the episode folder.

I started it with SGA, Season 4, (a little out of order I know) when I got the idea to go over the whole SG saga from the beginning of SG1 eventually.

Probably, will post at least a few more "It would have been even better if..." hypothetical plot and script tweaks for selected episodes, time permitting.
                        I usually see or get some kind of idea pretty much every time I rewatch an episode. The trick is to write it out before one forgets about it.

"One thing is constant, through all the eons, there is never enough time" (sorry - actually paraphrased from a future episode you haven't seen yet. Not a spoiler, just seemed like an apropos quote...)

Chances are you may not notice them the first time around but there are also a few pesky little continuity snags here and there in the series that can strain one's brain to make excuses for. I know of one that has actually been solved to good satisfaction, years later, with a previously unseen plot device, in the movie "Continuum", which finally can be used to explain how Apophis got back through the stargate in the pilot. Gates are one-way, Earth has no DHD, Apophis has no access to the control room dialer-computer. The best one could come with is that he manually dialed but that is a real stretch, not very satisfactory. For one thing we don't see any evidence of it being done and there is not enough elapsed time to account for the laborious process. So how else?...

Not to leave you in suspense: (ta-dah!) A hand-size gate-dialer. Presumably it is a rare and precious one-of-a-kind ancient device that Apophis normally kept locked up in a secret treaure trove.

I also plan on presenting a few prose/script tweaks, maybe some imaginary "deleted scenes" or even some "missing time" episode-level story telling.

I'm thinking that if SG1 is ever remastered, a lot of little fixes and "improvements" might even be physically possible with merely some minor CGA tweaks or similar low cost voice-over patches.

Otherwise, while some episodes are pretty much perfect as they are, when I get to Avalon in Season 10 think that will need a lot of space. I'm thinking major CGA rework and a ton of (suggested) script rewrite. In that case I guess will have to imagine becoming a zillionaire producer someday to implement. <g>
                        "Thank God it hit the Reading Library, or somebody might have been seriously hurt!"

Comment

I maybe should've done that myself! I never got to see all of SG-1 when it was on TV, so since last November I've collected all the boxsets and movies and been watching them religiously since. Im about to watch the last two episodes of Season 9, been a great journey
                          As above, so below, as within, so without, what you give, so shall you receive.

Comment

The idea of compiling missing scenes and your interpreted 'tweaking' as you re-watch is a good one.
                            I, too, am using the episode folders for my re-watch commentary (such as it is). I'll be keeping an eye out.

Comment

Alright...I know i've lacked commitment on this lately but I intend on picking this up again. I've been watching the show again in dribs and drabs but i've finally started to be consistent with it by watching 1 per week. I've just finished watching Politics so i'll post my review. I'll be watching 1 ep every Thursday, so the S1 finale will be next. I'll post a detailed review for Politics, There but for the grace of god and Tin Man and i'll review the ones leading up to it as best as I can remember them.

I promise to make a commitment I will NOT rest until the whole darn series is covered.

1.9: The Nox

It was good to see an episode with some Star Trek alumni. Armin Shimmerman did a great job with his character since he avoided the comedic and quirkiness of his Quark character from DS9 (a show that I am also watching). Good to see some development with the arc concerning th Goa'uld.

4 out of 5

1.10: Brief Candle

I really loved this episode. Once again, we see some development here with O'Neill (over the course of half a decade's worth of aging lol) with some science and humour thrown into the mix. I don't remember a lot of action or CGI in this episode which, to me, what made this really good. The story and the dialogue drove the episode well. Again though, as with a few other episodes, the resolution coincided neatly within the final 5 minutes of the episode.

4 out of 5

1.11: Thorr's Hammer

For all the action and effects they crammed into this, I kind of expected a little more. Especially with the whole "beast in the labyrinth" plot device. Not a bad episode by any means but one where the charm wore off after the first twenty minutes.

3 out of 5

1.12: The Torment of the Tantalus

A nice throw back to the film. Can't remember a whole lot more but I did like it.

4 out of 5

1.13: Bloodlines

4 out of 5

1.14: Fire and water

4 out of 5

1.15: Hathor

Ugh. This one annoyed me the most. I know it's important to have a mix of episodes where one has more humour than the other, but I just couldn't get into the groove of this one.

1 out of 5

1.16: Singularity

A deep episode with genuine emotion and some moral ambiguities. I liked the idea of the situation resembling that of a ticking timebomb (which is literally was). Therefore, it made sense for them to concoct a resolution in the pressure of time.

4 out of 5

1.17: Cor-ai

For a society that was so hell bent on their legal system, the backflip they did in the end seemed a little fantastic. Yes, T'ealc saved their lives, but even in a contemporary legal system, it's more likely that a society like that would reduce the sentence rather than cancel it out. But, some really good performances and character development.

3.5 out of 5

1.18: Enigma

The love story didn't do much for me here. Plus, I can't remember his name, but the older scientist with the stubborn attitude annoyed the hell out of me.

2.5 out of 5

1.19: Solitudes

3 out of 5

1.20: Tin Man

This was a good episode too. I did wonder how they were going to resolve it. Technically, they didn't, but the crew still survived to live on another day. I also enjoyed the seemingly jovial and innocent Harlan who believed he was doing everybody a favour.

4 out of 5

1.21: There but for the grace of god

This marks the beginning of the end for S1. I thought that the alternate universe stuff was dealt with really well. It was nice to see the parallels of the characters in their different settings. Most importantly, the performances were believable. Though it was strange to see that they avoided Carter and O'Neill hugging in the place of a farewell kiss. I mean, they are engaged.

4 out of 5

1.22: Politics

After some hit and miss episodes, the show really hits its stride here (and at the most important moment). The continuation from the previous episode is well written and logical. I very much enjoyed the Robert Kinsey character also for his dry, firm and down to earth personality. With everything hanging in the balance, I look forward to the S1 finale this week.

5 out of 5

Comment

Seriously! 1 ep a week, like TV! I don't know how you do that. I can't stop myself from watching a whole season, one ep after another.

I know when I finally get Atlantis season 5, I will finish it in atleast 2 days!
                                Then start again with the commentary tracks on.

Anyway, good luck with that mate. Have fun, it is an excellent series. SG1 and Atlantis!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X