Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Journey through Stargate SG1 - episode by episode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.15 - Summit (Part 1)

I'm pretty sure now that I will regard S5 of SG1 as the best overall. Apart from the couple of downers i've reviewed this season, it's just been brilliant. It's reminding me a lot of TNG's 5th Season. We're getting the best writing and performances, it's just been great. The plot in this season sets up a promising scenario for its conclusion. I just cannot fault this one, I wish I had more to say but I don't.
    5 out of 5

Comment

I'm surprised how you can resist not watching Part 2 right away
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
        I'm surprised how you can resist not watching Part 2 right away
        ^this. i remember being like "how can you end it there?" and going right into the next one.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
          ^this. i remember being like "how can you end it there?" and going right into the next one.
          I'm really not in that much of a hurry, plus I have a lot of other things to watch.

Comment

5.16 - Last Stand (Part 2)

Unfortunately this episode didn't carry the thrills of its predecessor. I think why this episode suffered a little is typical of a lot of two-parter adventures in the second half. That is, there's so much well-scripted tension and build up in the first part, the standard is set so high, it's just as likely they won't be able to match it. There seemed to be a lot of padding in the dialogue. For instance, Daniel and Jacob may be discussing a plan of the system lords, only to have a scene afterwards with them discussing what Daniel and Jacob had already established.

There was a lot of repetition like that. I also expected a bit more of a resolution but the plan didn't go according to what they set out. Personally, it seemed a bit silly not to take out the system lords that were present when they had the time. There would have only been one system lord left, even though this would give them increased power, it would also make them more vulnerable a target because they wouldn't have any other system lords to look to.

But for the parts that works, mainly the action sequences and some pretty good Carter moments, it was an acceptable episode.

3 out of 5

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
              5.16 - Last Stand (Part 2)

Unfortunately this episode didn't carry the thrills of its predecessor. I think why this episode suffered a little is typical of a lot of two-parter adventures in the second half. That is, there's so much well-scripted tension and build up in the first part, the standard is set so high, it's just as likely they won't be able to match it. There seemed to be a lot of padding in the dialogue. For instance, Daniel and Jacob may be discussing a plan of the system lords, only to have a scene afterwards with them discussing what Daniel and Jacob had already established.

There was a lot of repetition like that. I also expected a bit more of a resolution but the plan didn't go according to what they set out. Personally, it seemed a bit silly not to take out the system lords that were present when they had the time. There would have only been one system lord left, even though this would give them increased power, it would also make them more vulnerable a target because they wouldn't have any other system lords to look to.
              3 out of 5
              Its a recurring theme in the show that having several system lords fighting amongst each other is preferable than having only one with all the power. At the time they were still technologically more advanced and had huge armies of Jaffa. If all that was under the control of one Goa'uld, they would become nearly invincible (as you will see in the seasons to come). And system lords never help each other because they want to do it, only if it benefits them personally to gain position.
              sigpic

Comment

I can see it both ways. I mean, I admit, I was really wondering why they didn't just go ahead and get the System Lords that they could and worry about "the one that got away" later. But I also totally see the battle strategy behind it. I guess it just comes down to rotten luck all around. : )
                Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

i think that it is to much of a risk to have just one left, they would get way to much power. and it would be hard then to kill them off.

another thing that always annoyed me about that episode, is that elliot had to die in the end, i think his story would have made a great story to continue. i mean some good lines could have come from the fact that he became a tok'ra after one mission. but over all one of my favorite two parters.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                    i think that it is to much of a risk to have just one left, they would get way to much power. and it would be hard then to kill them off.

another thing that always annoyed me about that episode, is that elliot had to die in the end, i think his story would have made a great story to continue. i mean some good lines could have come from the fact that he became a tok'ra after one mission. but over all one of my favorite two parters.
                    I totally agree! I was very disappointed about Elliot. I thought he was a great character and could've had great potential.
                    Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Hi everyone, just a quick update: no, I haven't given up but i'll be taking a hiatus for the next few weeks. My TV just stopped working, the transistor is gone so it needs to be replaced which sadly means no TV. I could watch it on my laptop, but i'm a sucker for optimal viewing experience. But rest assured, the reviews will continue and I envisage I will return by mid April. So I won't be gone long.

Comment

Aw, that's too bad.
                        sigpic

Comment

aww that sucks.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                            Aw, that's too bad.
                            Love your WIRE SIg..... sorry, would have greened you if i could...
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi everyone, just a quick update: no, I haven't given up but i'll be taking a hiatus for the next few weeks. My TV just stopped working, the transistor is gone so it needs to be replaced which sadly means no TV. I could watch it on my laptop, but i'm a sucker for optimal viewing experience. But rest assured, the reviews will continue and I envisage I will return by mid April. So I won't be gone long.

Comment

Aw, this sucks. I've been looking forward to your thoughts on The Warrior - one of my favourite episodes - and the season 5 finale. But hey, if you can wait, so can I!

*crosses fingers for fixing your tv asap*
                                There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                                sigpic
                                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Working...
                                X