Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now that Season 9 is over, has your opinion changed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
    That could also be very well a fundim3ntal difference between those who liked Season 9 and those who didn't - I loved the humor in seasons 1-8 but as the series progressed, I felt O'Neill was getting more and more annoying, in the last 4 (if not 5) I felt he was way over the top with some of his jokes and it annoyed me.
    Perhaps, but exceptions do exist. I also was more and more annoyed by Jack's humorous comments over the seasons but I don't think the quips from Mitch are funny at all. I honestly don't see much of a difference between Jack's later OTT jokes and Mitch's OTT jokes. Both seem out of place and forced to me.

Comment

Originally posted by magie
      And no, I am not a fan of Farscape. I must have seen 5 or 6 episodes, I don't care if CB and BB are in the same scene or not. But I love Vala and Daniel.
      I couldn't agree more. And I am a big fan of Farscape. This is a different show, and in this show, the Vala/Daniel relationship is the really interesting one.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
        Listen to this person, everyone. He/She knows exactly what he/she is talking about
        I am a "she". Really, my friend isn't a friend of Farscape, too, she has only seen the first episode and said "too sci-fi, not for me, thank you very much". We used to talk on the phone after every Stargate SG 1 episodes, up until the end of the 6th season. But we both found the 7th and 8th season boring, it wasn't even on our agenda to talk about it.

So when the new season started, she and I weren't really interested in watching it and big surprise, we really loved it. Great minds think alike .

I was so pleased with what I had seen that I decided to register here, while I used to lurk.

Comment

However, Season 9 is now over, and the Ori invasion of the galaxy has begun. Did you like the ending?
          I loved the ending.

Did you like the build-up?
          Not as much. I loved the beginning (the first five episodes) and loved the ending (the last five episodes or so, except Crusade, which I thought was terribly boring).

Were the last 10 episodes better then the first 10?
          I have a much more favorable impression of the first half of the season. Even though I am not a big fan of Vala, I loved the opening arc.

I thought they did a good job of introducing Mitchell, but also in keeping Daniel and Teal'c important to the story. I thought Mitchell was a great character as a rather uptight military guy who was a strong leader, but a bit out of his element. He tried too hard to please everyone. And Ben had great chemistry with everyone.

I loved that Daniel had such a prominent role in the first few episodes, but was greatly disappointed to see that he was barely there, except in Prototype, for the next many, many episodes, until the last few episodes. (Even if he was there, he might as well not have been.) He was barely even in the mid-season cliffhanger, which I thought was one of the most boring episodes ever until I saw Crusade.

OTOH, the first half had Beachhead and EDM, two episodes that I really disliked a lot. Even so, I'd rather watch them again than Crusade or Stronghold or Collateral Damage or even Ripple Effect.

Ripple Effect was probably the most disappointing episode. I cannot believe that Janet had virtually no role at all in the episode other than to be there. I'm glad that Daniel and Teal'c had some nice scenes with her, but they really had no bearing on the story. I wished that had been the story. I also could not stand all the shippy crap in this episode in regards to Sam. Why didn't we hear whether or not Mitchell was married in other realities? Or Daniel? Or? There's more, but that's the gist of it.

Have you gotten used to Mitchell and the new "feel" or do you think you'll need another season to get used to it? Or do you still firmly believe that you won't get used to it?
          The second half of the season is marred, for me, by the weird changes in Mitchell's character. He went from a character I loved to one that I absolutely could not stand. Words cannot express how much I hate this new storyline/characterization they seem to have concocted for him. Suddenly he's chasing after a woman while on missions and offering to use his influence to help her--whether he meant it or not, it came across that he was offering to help her if she'd "put out." Ick.

Then along came Stronghold. This was Mitchell's Descent (the episode that made me hate Jonas). I thought I'd seen it all, but by the end of this episode, I really hated Mitchell. I want to like him again, but if he continues to act childishly and, well, the way he has been since CD, then...I don't know if I can. If everyone keeps reacting to him in the same way, then...no. I won't.

I also think it's absolutely ridiculous that it was implied that Mitchell is now so much younger than everyone else. It's ridiculous for his rank, for one thing. I just don't buy anything about this new character in the second half of the season. I want the old Mitchell back--and I can't believe I'm saying this about a character that's only been on for one season, but it's true. It was a drastic change from Avalon and even Prototype to CD and Stronghold and what's come after.

As far as whether I'll get used to the new feel, I feel like they finally began to get it right in the last few episodes with episodes like The Scourge and Arthur's Mantle and Ethon and so on--episodes that felt like real team episodes, even if the team ended up being separated in some parts.

But now, we know that Vala is going to be added into the mix. I'm one of those who is not very happy about this. They have trouble keeping everyone involved with only four main characters. Regardless of the reasons for the actor, I'm not all that happy that Daniel will be missing from four episodes either. I worry that the new season will be all about Vala, because when she's there, everyone spends their time reacting to her and, to me, that's just not that interesting beyond a little here and there.

Basically - post away - has your opinion of season 9 changed?
          I'm not sure. Before the season started, I was very apprehensive, but also hopeful. On the one hand, I was open to having a new team member (Mitchell), but I wondered how this would affect Daniel's place on the team. I thought they did a brilliant job of introducing the new character, though, only to ruin it completely in the second half of the season.

After watching Beachhead - Stronghold (with the exception of Prototype), I actually couldn't wait for the season to be over, to be honest. Then things really picked up with Ethon, and just got better from there, except for Crusade. Before that, I was welcoming the break from the show. I literally couldn't wait for the season to be over already. Now, since Camelot, I just can't wait to see at least the first episode of season 10. I hope whatever happens in the resolution of the cliffhanger, it's not glossed over.

I think they mostly succeeded with season 9 because I really love exactly half of the episodes. I have somewhat strong feelings about all of the others as well--some I greatly dislike, some I thought were boring, and some I just feel rather ambivalent about, but there are at least some good scenes in every episode, even if I didn't like it overall.

Season 9 won't take the place of season 2 in my heart, but I still think it was a pretty good season.

My Season Rankings: 2, 1, 3, 9/8, 5/7, 4, 6

And one more thing: I was thrilled to hear that there'd be a season 10, but then depressed by the thought of Vala full time. Even moreso, I've been more and more depressed about the news and spoilers I've read about season 10.

Camelot
          gave me hope that maybe there will be something in season 10 even for me. More than that, I really can't wait to see how this cliffhanger plays out in the first episode of season 10.
          My Top 40 SG-1 Episodes

My Ranking of All Season 9 Episodes

It's Daniel Jackson's world; I just live in it.

Comment

I love you.

lol seriously... that was an awesome reply, and the kind of reply that I enjoy reading thoroughly. I agreed with some of what you said, disagreed with other things, but found that whether I agreed or disagreed what was nice was the level of detail you put into your post.

One thing, what didn't you like about Beachead? It was one of the episodes I personally enjoyed... it introduced the Supergate, and we witnessed the death of an entire PLANET and the creation of a singularity to power such a frickin' huge Stargate.

I thought it was just awesome!

Originally posted by aizjanika
            I loved the ending.

Not as much. I loved the beginning (the first five episodes) and loved the ending (the last five episodes or so, except Crusade, which I thought was terribly boring).

I have a much more favorable impression of the first half of the season. Even though I am not a big fan of Vala, I loved the opening arc.

I thought they did a good job of introducing Mitchell, but also in keeping Daniel and Teal'c important to the story. I thought Mitchell was a great character as a rather uptight military guy who was a strong leader, but a bit out of his element. He tried too hard to please everyone. And Ben had great chemistry with everyone.

I loved that Daniel had such a prominent role in the first few episodes, but was greatly disappointed to see that he was barely there, except in Prototype, for the next many, many episodes, until the last few episodes. (Even if he was there, he might as well not have been.) He was barely even in the mid-season cliffhanger, which I thought was one of the most boring episodes ever until I saw Crusade.

OTOH, the first half had Beachhead and EDM, two episodes that I really disliked a lot. Even so, I'd rather watch them again than Crusade or Stronghold or Collateral Damage or even Ripple Effect.

Ripple Effect was probably the most disappointing episode. I cannot believe that Janet had virtually no role at all in the episode other than to be there. I'm glad that Daniel and Teal'c had some nice scenes with her, but they really had no bearing on the story. I wished that had been the story. I also could not stand all the shippy crap in this episode in regards to Sam. Why didn't we hear whether or not Mitchell was married in other realities? Or Daniel? Or? There's more, but that's the gist of it.

The second half of the season is marred, for me, by the weird changes in Mitchell's character. He went from a character I loved to one that I absolutely could not stand. Words cannot express how much I hate this new storyline/characterization they seem to have concocted for him. Suddenly he's chasing after a woman while on missions and offering to use his influence to help her--whether he meant it or not, it came across that he was offering to help her if she'd "put out." Ick.

Then along came Stronghold. This was Mitchell's Descent (the episode that made me hate Jonas). I thought I'd seen it all, but by the end of this episode, I really hated Mitchell. I want to like him again, but if he continues to act childishly and, well, the way he has been since CD, then...I don't know if I can. If everyone keeps reacting to him in the same way, then...no. I won't.

I also think it's absolutely ridiculous that it was implied that Mitchell is now so much younger than everyone else. It's ridiculous for his rank, for one thing. I just don't buy anything about this new character in the second half of the season. I want the old Mitchell back--and I can't believe I'm saying this about a character that's only been on for one season, but it's true. It was a drastic change from Avalon and even Prototype to CD and Stronghold and what's come after.

As far as whether I'll get used to the new feel, I feel like they finally began to get it right in the last few episodes with episodes like The Scourge and Arthur's Mantle and Ethon and so on--episodes that felt like real team episodes, even if the team ended up being separated in some parts.

But now, we know that Vala is going to be added into the mix. I'm one of those who is not very happy about this. They have trouble keeping everyone involved with only four main characters. Regardless of the reasons for the actor, I'm not all that happy that Daniel will be missing from four episodes either. I worry that the new season will be all about Vala, because when she's there, everyone spends their time reacting to her and, to me, that's just not that interesting beyond a little here and there.

I'm not sure. Before the season started, I was very apprehensive, but also hopeful. On the one hand, I was open to having a new team member (Mitchell), but I wondered how this would affect Daniel's place on the team. I thought they did a brilliant job of introducing the new character, though, only to ruin it completely in the second half of the season.

After watching Beachhead - Stronghold (with the exception of Prototype), I actually couldn't wait for the season to be over, to be honest. Then things really picked up with Ethon, and just got better from there, except for Crusade. Before that, I was welcoming the break from the show. I literally couldn't wait for the season to be over already. Now, since Camelot, I just can't wait to see at least the first episode of season 10. I hope whatever happens in the resolution of the cliffhanger, it's not glossed over.

I think they mostly succeeded with season 9 because I really love exactly half of the episodes. I have somewhat strong feelings about all of the others as well--some I greatly dislike, some I thought were boring, and some I just feel rather ambivalent about, but there are at least some good scenes in every episode, even if I didn't like it overall.

Season 9 won't take the place of season 2 in my heart, but I still think it was a pretty good season.

My Season Rankings: 2, 1, 3, 9/8, 5/7, 4, 6

And one more thing: I was thrilled to hear that there'd be a season 10, but then depressed by the thought of Vala full time. Even moreso, I've been more and more depressed about the news and spoilers I've read about season 10.

Camelot
            gave me hope that maybe there will be something in season 10 even for me. More than that, I really can't wait to see how this cliffhanger plays out in the first episode of season 10.

Comment

To be honest it has changed. I did not think it could get worse and it did.

Comment

I love you.

lol seriously... that was an awesome reply, and the kind of reply that I enjoy reading thoroughly. I agreed with some of what you said, disagreed with other things, but found that whether I agreed or disagreed what was nice was the level of detail you put into your post.

One thing, what didn't you like about Beachead? It was one of the episodes I personally enjoyed... it introduced the Supergate, and we witnessed the death of an entire PLANET and the creation of a singularity to power such a frickin' huge Stargate.

I thought it was just awesome!
                Aw, thank you. *g* I guess I had to get it all out. *g*

About Beachhead:

First, I want to say...I'm mostly over this now. *g* But you asked, and I'm willing to explain because it's kind of fun. ;-)

We really didn't witness the death of an entire planet. It all seemed so removed and unemotional. Nobody really cared about all the people who supposedly died there or anything.

I think that, in general, I just don't really care much for episodes where they are flying around in ships. When I first saw Beachhead (and I watched it at least three times--probably more--that first week *g*), it seemed to me to be about a bunch of ships shooting at other ships and sometimes shooting at a bubble on a planet. Who cares? *g* (I also really didn't like Ethon when I first saw it, but changed my mind later.)

I also felt like this was another Descent/Stronghold type of episode--this time for Vala. I just don't like being hit over the head with an anvil that says, "Hey, here's the new Hero. She's All Changed Now. She's Self Sacrificing..." blah blah blah *g* I mean, she *did* strand the entire crew of the Prometheus in space and leave them to die. (She had no way of knowing if they'd even know how to fix the ship and at least one person had to risk his life to get the parts they needed.) She also did some pretty horrible things to Daniel, not to mention manipulating and blackmailing everyone at the SGC. Yes, she's cute, but doing one thing that turned out okay (even if she was taking a big risk with everyone else's lives when she wasn't even involved in what they were doing) doesn't erase everything else she's done and I felt this episode was trying to erase those things and say, "It's all okay now. She's good now." lol

I think that part of the story felt very manipulative to me, rather than letting things play out as they would. (That's partly why I disliked Stronghold, too. I loved the way the first half of the season played out for Mitchell. I wanted to see him become more confident, but make some reasonable screwups because he was the new guy. I so did not need him to announce: "I'm rash and reckless" and then begin acting so when it made no sense for the character. I wanted to see things play out in a more reasonable way for all the characters, I guess.)

I also hated the whole Nerus thing. Why did they even let him on the base? Why did they let themselves be manipulated by him? I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to figuring out plotholes, but even *I* could see that they were playing right into his hands and that something was up. I can be pretty gullible, too, but he didn't fool me.

However, *g*... I just watched Beachhead again today. I'm watching all of season 9 over again and that was today's episode. I was surprised to find that it really wasn't as bad as I'd remembered. Maybe it's because I knew what to expect so the story points and "blow'em up" thing didn't bug me as it did when it was still a fresh and new episode, and the character bits were not bad at all. I'm not one of those who was upset because I thought Daniel was mean to Vala--I thought he was just fine with her. I also loved Sam's comment about the "backup singer" (and I loved that even the first time around *g*).

One of my biggest disappointments was that I was hoping that Vala and Sam would have some sort of interaction, too, and I felt like they wasted that opportunity, but now I know that they'll have that opportunity later so I guess that's one thing I no longer have to be concerned with either. *g*

Anyway, watching Beachhead again today, I realized that I actually liked most of the characters in this--even Vala (when she wasn't being the new hero) and, while it will never be a favorite episode, now that time has passed, I can watch it and enjoy the character parts that I liked even in the first viewing because I'm no longer so disappointed in the story. (As mentioned above, I'm over it now. *g* But you asked... *g*)
                My Top 40 SG-1 Episodes

My Ranking of All Season 9 Episodes

It's Daniel Jackson's world; I just live in it.

Comment

Originally posted by aizjanika
                  I also felt like this was another Descent/Stronghold type of episode--this time for Vala. I just don't like being hit over the head with an anvil that says, "Hey, here's the new Hero. She's All Changed Now. She's Self Sacrificing..." blah blah blah *g* I mean, she *did* strand the entire crew of the Prometheus in space and leave them to die. (She had no way of knowing if they'd even know how to fix the ship and at least one person had to risk his life to get the parts they needed.) She also did some pretty horrible things to Daniel, not to mention manipulating and blackmailing everyone at the SGC. Yes, she's cute, but doing one thing that turned out okay (even if she was taking a big risk with everyone else's lives when she wasn't even involved in what they were doing) doesn't erase everything else she's done and I felt this episode was trying to erase those things and say, "It's all okay now. She's good now." lol
                  I think Vala changes after the events of The Powers that Be. I don't think its as much of a "whoo I'm suddenly a good guy! I'm suddenly a hero!" as it is "I learned something today... all these people dying, all these people I used, and I can't do anything to stop it. Even if I die, I'm going to try!" and right there when she fires on the Prior I think she's commited herself against the Ori and those actions lead to her very heroic actions in Beachhead.

Comment

I think Vala changes after the events of The Powers that Be. I don't think its as much of a "whoo I'm suddenly a good guy! I'm suddenly a hero!" as it is "I learned something today... all these people dying, all these people I used, and I can't do anything to stop it. Even if I die, I'm going to try!" and right there when she fires on the Prior I think she's commited herself against the Ori and those actions lead to her very heroic actions in Beachhead.
                    I think a lot of people would agree with you on this. Myself included. Vala made some great strides starting in "The Powers That Be" over the course of season 9. Strides I believe she will continue to make this coming season. I am so stoked.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Yeah, the last 10 episodes were much better than the first 10. Looking forward to July!

Comment

However, Season 9 is now over, and the Ori invasion of the galaxy has begun. Did you like the ending?
                        it was alright.

Did you like the build-up?

it was alright.

Were the last 10 episodes better then the first 10?

definitely yes.

Have you gotten used to Mitchell and the new "feel" or do you think you'll need another season to get used to it?

mitchell got worse as time went on (to me).

the new feel of the show? i'm not used to it because it's not the stargate sg1 that i expected or asked for. it's a spinoff that just happens to have three of the original characters from sg1. three characters who's history is almost being ignored too (especially and specifically sam's).

Or do you still firmly believe that you won't get used to it?
                        i have no idea. i do know, though, that i don't like this new show.

Basically - post away - has your opinion of season 9 changed?
                        yes, my opinion of the show changed. i started off excited at the beginning of the season, then slowly, ep-by-ep i became depressed and disillusioned with it.

i find that it's not that i can pick out what's wrong with the show in season 9, but what's right.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                          Perhaps, but exceptions do exist. I also was more and more annoyed by Jack's humorous comments over the seasons but I don't think the quips from Mitch are funny at all. I honestly don't see much of a difference between Jack's later OTT jokes and Mitch's OTT jokes. Both seem out of place and forced to me.

they both seem out of place to me sometimes, yes. but there is one big difference (to me) that changes my response to the quips. delivery, which rda was a *master* of.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magie
                            I am a "she". Really, my friend isn't a friend of Farscape, too, she has only seen the first episode and said "too sci-fi, not for me, thank you very much". We used to talk on the phone after every Stargate SG 1 episodes, up until the end of the 6th season. But we both found the 7th and 8th season boring, it wasn't even on our agenda to talk about it.

So when the new season started, she and I weren't really interested in watching it and big surprise, we really loved it. Great minds think alike .

I was so pleased with what I had seen that I decided to register here, while I used to lurk.
                            the ratings for season 9, while not in the toilet, aren't up to what season 8's where. so, i'm thinking most fans actually preferred season 8 to season 9?

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              the ratings for season 9, while not in the toilet, aren't up to what season 8's where. so, i'm thinking most fans actually preferred season 8 to season 9?

sally
                              Or, what's actually going on, that the networks have successful Friday night shows this year that are stealing viewers from all of Scifi's Friday shows.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                                Or, what's actually going on, that the networks have successful Friday night shows this year that are stealing viewers from all of Scifi's Friday shows.
                                Exactly. No offense to Forum people (Since I'm one of them lol), but we are a very picky bunch. Most either love season 9 or hate season 9 and there's no middle ground... but I think the "general" Stargate fan is still enjoying the show.

Comment

Working...
                                X