Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now that Season 9 is over, has your opinion changed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved all the seasons, but 9 in particular finally had me seeing a storyline being carried out through most of the entire season...

But then again, they did that with Season 1, which is why I think of Season 9 as a new series altogether.

Mattathias

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
      I loved all the seasons, but 9 in particular finally had me seeing a storyline being carried out through most of the entire season...

But then again, they did that with Season 1, which is why I think of Season 9 as a new series altogether.

Mattathias
      And this is exactly how it should be seen. Not the continuation of previous seasons, but the beginning of the completely new direction. It's like you're reading a book and you have a series of books, with basically the same or almost the same characters, but each book is telling completely different story. Treat seasons 1 - 8 like for example 2 first books in the series, and season 9 like the third one. Season 9 is not the chapter in the second book of the series, it's the NEW book.

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
        And this is exactly how it should be seen. Not the continuation of previous seasons, but the beginning of the completely new direction. It's like you're reading a book and you have a series of books, with basically the same or almost the same characters, but each book is telling completely different story. Treat seasons 1 - 8 like for example 2 first books in the series, and season 9 like the third one. Season 9 is not the chapter in the second book of the series, it's the NEW book.
        A new book it is. And one that simply no longer holds my interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightspore
          A new book it is. And one that simply no longer holds my interest.
          Well, personally I enjoyed this one very much, majority of it. And I'm really looking forward to the next one

Comment

Continuing with the metaphor, it's one of those books that's worth reading over and over again and gets better each time.

Comment

Has my opinion changed? Definitely! I went in thinking it would be good, not great, I was worried because I saw what happened to The X-Files and thought the same might happen. I knew I would still enjoy it, but it probably wouldn't be as good as it once had been. Boy was I wrong. By the end of the first episode I knew that what was coming was far better than what I had thought it would be. The Ori represent the enemy that we had always feared would come, but always seemed to stop from arriving. The themes and motifs now are more mature, they are basically diving head first into what they had only skimmed the surface of before this. This season is one of my favorite so far, and I cannot wait for season 10. With that said however I do wish RDA was still on, Cam is great, but no one can replace RDA in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Konman72
                Has my opinion changed? Definitely! I went in thinking it would be good, not great, I was worried because I saw what happened to The X-Files and thought the same might happen. I knew I would still enjoy it, but it probably wouldn't be as good as it once had been. Boy was I wrong. By the end of the first episode I knew that what was coming was far better than what I had thought it would be. The Ori represent the enemy that we had always feared would come, but always seemed to stop from arriving. The themes and motifs now are more mature, they are basically diving head first into what they had only skimmed the surface of before this. This season is one of my favorite so far, and I cannot wait for season 10. With that said however I do wish RDA was still on, Cam is great, but no one can replace RDA in my eyes.
                Well said, pretty much reflects my opinions- I was wary about season nine as I had just discoverd Stargate, loved Jack and the team, so I was wary about Cam and Vala especially- and I surprised myself by loving the season. Great new direction the show is going in, it's fun, and serious, the Ori are threatening- more so it felt then the Goa'uld. Cam will never completly replace Jack, and that's the way it should be, and I like the character for what he's been so far and look forward to his continuing development in season ten.

Welcome to Gateworld!

Comment

Season 9 was definitely a much darker
                  season compared to seasons 1-8,
                  but I still like it!

Here is some evidence to prove that
                  this season was darker:

- The introduction of the Ori - a powerful race that
                  doesn't just rule by force, it seduces people to follow
                  "the path." Not to mention the Ori burning people
                  that oppose them.
                  - The loss of some main characters - Garek, Jarrod Kane,
                  Prometheus captain and crew.
                  - The destruction of the Prometheus. (Ethon)
                  - The torturing of a businessman by Garek's Jaffa (Ex Deus Machina)
                  - The Ori fleet devastating the opposing fleet (Camelot)
                  - The Concept of Vala giving birth to "the will of the Ori" (Camelot)
                  - The loss of the Gamma Site (The Scourage)
                  - The destruction of Tegalus (Ethon)

The good parts of season 9 are still to come...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_06
                    but I still like it!
                    Oh, I definately agree that it was darker in tone overall (with some GREAT, light character moments ) and I think that's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much.... It seemed to take the new problems much more seriously, and rightfully so. I can't wait to see how things progress in season 10!

Comment

Originally posted by Neelan_Liquor
                      Oh, I definately agree that it was darker in tone overall (with some GREAT, light character moments ) and I think that's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much.... It seemed to take the new problems much more seriously, and rightfully so. I can't wait to see how things progress in season 10!
                      Get out of my head! Just kidding. Really, I couldn't agree more. This season did have a darker tone to it overall, something I thoroughly enjoyed actually. The Ori are a serious threat, one we have no real way to combat at the moment. And I like that, seeing SG-1 struggle to come up with answers. Season 10, at least IMO, should even be better than Season 9. And to me, that's really saying something.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_06
                        but I still like it!

Here is some evidence to prove that
                        this season was darker:

- The introduction of the Ori - a powerful race that
                        doesn't just rule by force, it seduces people to follow
                        "the path." Not to mention the Ori burning people
                        that oppose them.
                        - The loss of some main characters - Garek, Jarrod Kane,
                        Prometheus captain and crew.
                        - The destruction of the Prometheus. (Ethon)
                        - The torturing of a businessman by Garek's Jaffa (Ex Deus Machina)
                        - The Ori fleet devastating the opposing fleet (Camelot)
                        - The Concept of Vala giving birth to "the will of the Ori" (Camelot)
                        - The loss of the Gamma Site (The Scourage)
                        - The destruction of Tegalus (Ethon)

The good parts of season 9 are still to come...
                        when its listed out, s9 is much darker (and i would mind that). but as i watched it? not dark at all. immature, with stupid humor and lude sex jokes, horribly written, and at times, downright boring. i like the list, it reminds me that the overall plot was good, but it doesn't come through on the screen.
                        sigpic
                        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                          For me Camelot was weak, and showed the death of the show was coming, if that is how S10 is gonna go, then I am not really bothered with it.
                          Opinions are always amazing, you know? For example to Ptah Camelot was weak and he sees the end of the show, and for me it was filled with several HOLY SH*T! moments and had me on the edge of my seat.

Spoiler:
                          When those Ori battleships tore out of the activated Supergate I was just stunned, and the following battle I almost cry watching... just seeing the utter power difference between the Ori and our team is heart wrenching. I cannot wait to see how everyone survived!

I plan on writing a review of season 9 sometime, but I haven't yet. But I had the chance to watch it over 2 weeks while on vacation on my portable DVR player, and it was one of the best Stargate times I've ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                            Opinions are always amazing, you know? For example to Ptah Camelot was weak and he sees the end of the show, and for me it was filled with several HOLY SH*T! moments and had me on the edge of my seat.
                            That just proves how different people can truly be, you know? For the record, I'm with you, Lord Shiva. I thought, overall, "Camelot" was one of the best SG-1 episodes ever.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Camelot was one of the best S9 episodes, but not even close to my favorite. I'm not anti-season 9, I'm just not as happy with it as the other seasons. It's ok, but I don't think I'll run out and buy it unless I have extra money floating around. The other seasons...I risked being totally broke to get them!

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                                Camelot was one of the best S9 episodes, but not even close to my favorite. I'm not anti-season 9, I'm just not as happy with it as the other seasons. It's ok, but I don't think I'll run out and buy it unless I have extra money floating around. The other seasons...I risked being totally broke to get them!
                                Lol! I think the same will happen to me when the new slim packs come out.

I'm sure I've said this plenty of times before, but the thing Camelot did so well was incorperate the character roles from the last nine seasons into the Ori story and not leave anything or anyone out- every character got a chance to do what they do best in that episode and I thought it was all put together very well, the dark moments, the light moments (season finales so often don't have many light moments). Great ep, one of Stargate's best.

Comment

Working...
                                X