Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that ship can survive due to extremely powerfull hull constructions. there are organic materials with a strenght/mass ratio higher than steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
      Thank you

It's Lightwave 9. It's a rather expensive program, my friend had a copy of it and stopped using it, so let me have it.

I would recommend Blender. It is entirely free and from the looks of it quite a capable program.

http://www.blender.org/

Designing is really fun. I've always enjoyed drawing things as a kid, and this is taking it one step further. Good luck! If you need any tips, I can always try to help. But I still don't know much haha. Good luck!
      Thanks Finger13, I watch this technology show called Click on the BBC over here in England (I don't know if you can get that show in Canada, perhaps on BBC America) and I think they mentioned Blender on there, saying something about it being used to create a CGI film with the same kind of quality as Shrek in appearance.
      I'd completely forgotten what it was called, so thanks for letting me know.
      I've never used any 3D modeling tools before so I doubt I'll be able to get the kind of quality looking stuff you've made.
      Have you been using Lightwave 9 long?
      Also have you done much with Blender?

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
      how do i do a clay render ?
      I was checking on Youtube shortly after I saw Finger13's post this morning and there are tones of tutorials for Blender on there.
      I'm gonna download the software and have a play around with it.
      I just typed in Blender Tutorials and loads of videos came up so there may be something there that can help you.
      Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 07 November 2008, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
        Thanks Finger13, I watch this technology show called Click on the BBC over here in England (I don't know if you can get that show in Canada, perhaps on BBC America) and I think they mentioned Blender on there, saying something about it being used to create a CGI film with the same kind of quality as Shrek in appearance.
        I'd completely forgotten what it was called, so thanks for letting me know.
        I've never used any 3D modeling tools before so I doubt I'll be able to get the kind of quality looking stuff you've made.
        Have you been using Lightwave 9 long?
        Also have you done much with Blender?

I was checking on Youtube shortly after I saw Finger13's post this morning and they are tones of tutorials for Blender on there.
        I'm gonna download the software and have a play around with it.
        I just typed in Blender Tutorials and loads of videos came up so there may be something there that can help you.
        The model that I am working on in here is my very first one. I just recently got Lightwave about 2 weeks ago maybe. It takes a lot of patience just to get the basics, let alone any advanced functions and especially animation. I haven't even bothered trying to figure out how to texture and animate yet, I'll save that for much later. What I've been posting is the bare basics of what the program is capable of, and I won't even pretend to know what I'm doing at this point lol. If you want to see what great Stargate ships can be made with Lightwave and touching up in Photoshop, definitely check out this artist's deviantart page, it's really great stuff:

http://mallacore.deviantart.com/

The nice thing with Lightwave is that it smooths out all of the rough edges, but I relied on that too much for this model I think, which is why I want to start a new one ASAP and get this one out of the way.

I screwed around with SketchUp! for a few months, but it pales in comparison to the power of real 3d modeling software.

Yes, there are more free Blender tutorials than there are for the other programs from what I've seen. Try to get your absolute basics first, it will take a lot of figuring out just to figure out how to manipulate shapes the way that you want to.

I kind of want to restart my project, as the ship I've been posting has been my trial and error, and discovering new things as I've gone along. It'd be nice to start with a clean slate now that I know more, but I think I might throw it together hastily then start on a slightly different design that's not as alien looking.

It's a lot easier to deal with boxier shapes than it is to deal with smooth ones, so I'll get these guys the ship that they want and then restart. Should go a lot smoother.

And no sorry I didn't use Blender for long. I had already started fumbling around with Lightwave when I downloaded Blender, and since it was a different layout and I already had a basic understanding of Lightwave, I just stuck with the latter.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        that ship can survive due to extremely powerfull hull constructions. there are organic materials with a strenght/mass ratio higher than steel.
        Alright if you say so lol, I still think that I might make the wings stubbier.

I just don't think it looks proper having a 5km ship with a 5km wingspan.
        Last edited by Finger13; 07 November 2008, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Anyone regonize this ship?

Spoiler:

I lost my heart to it, but it's assymmetric! ARgh! Well, as Sins of Solar Empire is quite open game, I managed to find tools for modding, hence the model in question exported directly from the game.

I descided to modify the ship to something like this:

Spoiler:

But the original ship modellers did so damn bad job that I saw the need to clean up the design a bit and went on...

Here's what I got

Spoiler:

Progression in concept:

Spoiler:

Next thing I'll do is import the ship into the game and after that, try to adapt original textures to it, so it would look something like this:

http://stickman9000.com/other/gfx/si...battleship.jpg (not mine)

Comments?
          Last edited by Semmer; 07 November 2008, 10:56 PM. Reason: fixing

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post

Spoiler:

I lost my heart to it, but it's assymmetric! ARgh! Well, as Sins of Solar Empire is quite open game, I managed to find tools for modding, hence the model in question exported directly from the game.

Spoiler:

But the original ship modellers did so damn bad job that I saw the need to clean up the design a bit and went on...

Here's what I got

Spoiler:

Progression in concept:

Spoiler:

IMG]http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta/Kol/Kol%20progression%202.jpg[/IMG]
            IMG]http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta/Kol/Kol%20progression%203.jpg[/IMG]

Next thing I'll do is import the ship into the game and after that, try to adapt original textures to it, so it would look something like this:

Comments?
            Very nice.

Have you been modeling long?

Comment

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Here's what I got

Spoiler:

Progression in concept:

Spoiler:

IMG]http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta/Kol/Kol%20progression%202.jpg[/IMG]
              IMG]http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta/Kol/Kol%20progression%203.jpg[/IMG]

Comments?
              looking good! And My SIG! lol
              sigpic
              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Good news! I managed to delete my Vista partition while messing with Linux, so my model is gone!

Haha, damn. Oh well, I will start on a new one now. I was going to restart anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                  Very nice.

Have you been modeling long?
                  Thank you.

I think I first found Sketchup in january 2007, so since then.

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                  looking good! And My SIG! lol
                  Yes, your sig. Aren't I the winner?

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
                  Good news! I managed to delete my Vista partition while messing with Linux, so my model is gone!

Haha, damn. Oh well, I will start on a new one now. I was going to restart anyway...
                  Oh noes! You should remember backup, backup, always backup!

Make the front section a little bit longer this time.

Comment

you mean that ubercool dragon like ship?

Comment

you mean that ubercool dragon like ship?
                      I can just design it again, and this time I'll actually know what I'm doing. I'm not really disappointed lol.

Oh noes! You should remember backup, backup, always backup!

Make the front section a little bit longer this time.
                      I have all of my important files and programs saved to my external hard drive, I just never backed up my model or my Spore files lol.

And I'll take your advice on the front section.

Comment

Sometimes rebuilding a model a second time goes faster and makes it better.

Trust me, its happened plenty of times.
                        Visit my Website

Comment

actually can you make two versions? 1 like the one you made, 1 thats meant to be a 4500 meter battelcruiser?

Comment

Wait, a hive is like 2.5 km long, so Todd's ship would belike 1-1.5 k.

Comment

a hive is 11km

Comment

a hive is 11km
                                More than one scaling thread has placed it at the 2.5k mark. That's actual in show information, not concept art.

Comment

Working...
                                X