Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all the EH is is a water material thats slightly tansparent or solid if thats how u like witha omni light smack in the center witha flat mirror modifyer on the water texture... pretty simple...

Comment

which translates into "yes it's a texture".

Comment

that battle star is looking great, I might try a warstar, but I am not that good lol

www.darkarmada.nl
        www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Originally posted by colbmista View Post
          all the EH is is a water material thats slightly tansparent or solid if thats how u like witha omni light smack in the center witha flat mirror modifyer on the water texture... pretty simple...
          yes and no the event horizon is a texture yes but iu have also bumped it with a procedural one other that the texture itself is emitting the light not an extra omni.[
          Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          which translates into "yes it's a texture".
          sort of..

Comment

I forgot how damned awefull it is to make a battlestar (head), all those fluent lines have to be done by fracking hand......

and it gets hared when you make the curves in 48 segments....

www.darkarmada.nl
            www.runescape.com

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
              that battle star is looking great, I might try a warstar, but I am not that good lol
              Thanks locutes, this is a very challenging and time comsuming project. I was susprised that Alx was the only person to comment on it but I saw you did and I felt better. I wish the best of luck to you!

Originally posted by Alx View Post
              yes and no the event horizon is a texture yes but iu have also bumped it with a procedural one other that the texture itself is emitting the light not an extra omni.[

sort of..
              I could see how it could work.
              sigpic
              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

I forgot how damned awefull it is to make a battlestar (head), all those fluent lines have to be done by fracking hand......

and it gets hared when you make the curves in 48 segments....
                Yeah I its really difficult to get the curves you want.
                sigpic
                ----DeviantArt----

Comment

ive tryed to modle some bsg ships super fail lol

Comment

mmm... i'm not sure if you have the same tools as i do ALX, but...

can you subsurf or subdivide the EH, then add a modifier which displaces the texture? if done correctly *and i'm confident your comp can handle it* the event horizon is actually displaced, making it look like it's modeled.

again not sure if you have the same tools or the same names for tools as i do. for me it's under materials, then texures, then the disp. option. make sure the disp. factor is right.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      mmm... i'm not sure if you have the same tools as i do ALX, but...

can you subsurf or subdivide the EH, then add a modifier which displaces the texture? if done correctly *and i'm confident your comp can handle it* the event horizon is actually displaced, making it look like it's modeled.

again not sure if you have the same tools or the same names for tools as i do. for me it's under materials, then texures, then the disp. option. make sure the disp. factor is right.
                      indeed i can subD and add displacement maps but i am still working on my particles and general VFX skills so atm its still a far off making a flush and a Live event horizon but i am working on it.

also for future note i use Lightwave 3d Modo401 sketchup and ive fiddled some with maya so i dont think there is anything i CANT do in the future it just depends on what i can learn.

Comment

I must say, BSG based ships are the ones I love best. I wanted to green you but couldn't.

Oh and colb, last time I tried something like a bsg ship I ended up scrapping it for what ever I tried it kept looking like a penus

this has taken me about one and a half hour to do... And I'm working slowly lol. Also I havent even started on the main body, the pods or even the bottom of the head... I'm up for some long hours...
                        Spoiler:
                        Last edited by locutes; 23 April 2010, 09:12 AM.

www.darkarmada.nl
                        www.runescape.com

Comment

I must say, BSG based ships are the ones I love best. I wanted to green you but couldn't.

Oh and colb, last time I tried something like a bsg ship I ended up scrapping it for what ever I tried it kept looking like a penus

this has taken me about one and a half hour to do... And I'm working slowly lol. Also I havent even started on the main body, the pods or even the bottom of the head... I'm up for some long hours...
                          Spoiler:
                          its Looking descent.. but AAAAARG i seee LOOOOADS of triangles unnecesary ones as you can make that shape in SU withouth all those tris.... and by the look of it you are tackling organics by manually drawing it BIG mistake.

if you are online on yahoo atm i can show you how to tackle oranic shapes in su fast and easy

Comment

ill logg into yahoo atm now

www.darkarmada.nl
                            www.runescape.com

Comment

Locutes: I also hand-drew most of the polygons on my Battlestar. I like your design buy you should avoid cutting everything into triangles. Try to get the "Tangent of/to vertex" snap, which it turns the line teal, to keep the arcs the same so they form nice square polygons. I like the formation of the head a lot. Take your time and make sure it's clean so you won't run into problems down the road. I might make a tutorial on arcs/circles and ellipses.

Alx: manually drawing them is alright, it's just its really difficult to make them correctly.
                              sigpic
                              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                                Locutes: I also hand-drew most of the polygons on my Battlestar. I like your design buy you should avoid cutting everything into triangles. Try to get the "Tangent of/to vertex" snap, which it turns the line teal, to keep the arcs the same so they form nice square polygons. I like the formation of the head a lot. Take your time and make sure it's clean so you won't run into problems down the road. I might make a tutorial on arcs/circles and ellipses.

Alx: manually drawing them is alright, it's just its really difficult to make them correctly.
                                well yes it can be done that that way yes but its agonisigly slow and painfull and i personally stumbled across a fast easy way of doing it which intur i just showed Loc how to do and i think he can vouch for the easy and effiscient technique.

Comment

Working...
                                X