This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    Well, it seems to be stargate-based, so i don't see any reason at all to make ships that big.

It doesn't help that Stargate makes bigger ships exponentially more worthless. i mean, a Hiveship is 11km, but Cruisers have MUCH better performance in every area. (and are 100x smaller or so).
    Well Hive ships are the only example of truly large ships in Stargate. Anubis's ships and Apophis's ship are smaller than them.
    Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
      Of course it is fanwank. You want big ships just to have big ships without any regard to how impractical it really is.

You still haven't even answered any of my questions either. All you have told me is that you had ships built to fit roles you want. It's apparent you didn't really think about it beyond I want a 14 kilometer ship.

1. You haven't said what roles these ships are supposed to do. Why do they need to be so large when smaller ships will not fit?

2. You haven't answered if everyone were to scale down OR up their ships by a factor of ten would it change anything.

3. Why are these ships so large?

Have you even thought about it beyond "I want a 14 kilometer ship that can do everything I want it to do." ALL repeat after me ALL, ALL, ALL, ALL ship designs are compromises. Whether they are fighters, tanks, transports, warships, or guns. THEY WILL ALWAYS BE COMPROMISES. Do you understand that concept? Building 14 kilometer ships and saying that there are larger ones means nothing. All it means is that you wanted everything and you wanted large ships. That is not imagination nor is it realistic.

Ask yourself why? How? Where? What? Ask yourself these questions about this so called multiverse has ships so large.
      1. Not it is not fanwank, you are bashing several dozen writers when you say it is, that is also very insulting to nation roleplayers who work hard on their starships, technology, etc. So please stop saying that because it is insulting not just to me, but other writers in the same writing game.
      2. I have answered what my personal ships fill for their roles, the Breederships are big because the space is used, every sqare meter is used on a Breedership, be it a medical ship or otherwise, they are big for a reason.
      3. Your question of scaling up or down made little sense, personally I limit myself to what I want my ships to do. the largest ship series in the Multiverse are the Reverance IIIs at 90KM long. nothing larger than that has been made, and even then only scant few of them are made. Most of them as far as I know are prototypes and not even in full use yet.
      4. See second item on this list
      5. this is how I make a starship; I first think to myself, "What do I want this starship to do ?" Once I have the desired role chosen I begin design. "How big must it be to fit this role ?" Final design that fits the role for it may be 14KM for a deep void supercarrier or as small as 9.01 meters snub fighter. If the role calls for a smaller ship that I already have constructted, then I just assign the role to the premade ship. THAT is realistic.

If you want to bash the multiverse and insult us, then come and see it for yourself, talk to us nation roleplayers and ask us these questions, You are saying what you are saying BECAUSE YOU DO NOT KNOW SQUAT ABOUT THE MUTLIVERSE, so you call it fanwankverse, which is an INSULT to those writers, including myself, that partake in that story.

Now, if you are done insulting the writers within the Multiverse, I have answered your questions. Will the new model maker please return, I'd like to see your models again to give some pointers, and also see if I can make a classification system for you.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
        [LIST=1][*]Not it is not fanwank, you are bashing several dozen writers when you say it is, that is also very insulting to nation roleplayers who work hard on their starships, technology, etc. So please stop saying that because it is insulting not just to me, but other writers in the same writing game.
        It is fanwank because the ships are way too big.
        [LIST=1][*]I have answered what my personal ships fill for their roles, the Breederships are big because the space is used, every sqare meter is used on a Breedership, be it a medical ship or otherwise, they are big for a reason.
        here is the thing. If you have the number of planets that you say you do then you dont need breeder ships. make breeder planets. and as for medical ships, if a planet comes under attack then having many evac ships that have medical facilities on them is better than one large ship. as the smallerships are more manueverable and can get to a planet that is better protected with the evacuees faster. plus if one of the ships gets destroyed you lose less of your population.
        [LIST=1][*]this is how I make a starship; I first think to myself, "What do I want this starship to do ?" Once I have the desired role chosen I begin design. "How big must it be to fit this role ?" Final design that fits the role for it may be 14KM for a deep void supercarrier or as small as 9.01 meters snub fighter. If the role calls for a smaller ship that I already have constructted, then I just assign the role to the premade ship. THAT is realistic.
        no what is realistic is having many smaller ships that when used in conjunction can fill the very same role and yet if one is destroyed you dont lose the full capability as if the larger vessel was destroyed.
        [LIST=1]If you want to bash the multiverse and insult us, then come and see it for yourself, talk to us nation roleplayers and ask us these questions, You are saying what you are saying BECAUSE YOU DO NOT KNOW SQUAT ABOUT THE MUTLIVERSE, so you call it fanwankverse, which is an INSULT to those writers, including myself, that partake in that story.
        you are taking this as a personal attack when you should be taking the time to think about what we are saying. your faction could be much larger than it is if you followed a few simple rules.
        1. make more ships not larger ships.
        2. make ships whose strengths can cover other ships weaknesses when traveling as a group.
        3.use your planets wisely.(if you have females on board your ships that are pregnant drop them off on a breeder planet)
        4. Guerrilla tactics will always win if done correctly. I.E. having a huge number of smaller more nimble ships attacking a rival factions ship or planet will make it harder for the rival faction to target and hit the ships. and if you happen to lose a few its no big loss. because you will be able to take out the enemys defenses and either capture the planet or destroy the enemy ship.
        sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
          It is fanwank because the ships are way too big.

here is the thing. If you have the number of planets that you say you do then you dont need breeder ships. make breeder planets. and as for medical ships, if a planet comes under attack then having many evac ships that have medical facilities on them is better than one large ship. as the smallerships are more manueverable and can get to a planet that is better protected with the evacuees faster. plus if one of the ships gets destroyed you lose less of your population.

no what is realistic is having many smaller ships that when used in conjunction can fill the very same role and yet if one is destroyed you dont lose the full capability as if the larger vessel was destroyed.

you are taking this as a personal attack when you should be taking the time to think about what we are saying. your faction could be much larger than it is if you followed a few simple rules.
          1. make more ships not larger ships.
          2. make ships whose strengths can cover other ships weaknesses when traveling as a group.
          3.use your planets wisely.(if you have females on board your ships that are pregnant drop them off on a breeder planet)
          4. Guerrilla tactics will always win if done correctly. I.E. having a huge number of smaller more nimble ships attacking a rival factions ship or planet will make it harder for the rival faction to target and hit the ships. and if you happen to lose a few its no big loss. because you will be able to take out the enemys defenses and either capture the planet or destroy the enemy ship.
          Exactly. It really makes no sense to have such large ships regardless of their role.
          Hi There!

Comment

Alright, that;s it! for the FINAL TIME it is not fanwank, it is writers working together to form a story. got it ? END OF DISCCUSION PLEASE!

If you want more info and to see the Multiverse at work, then go here and join up at here to start a disccussion there on the terms of fanwank.

I'm done with trying to talk sense to you guys of why we made those ships for what we want them for. It is time you see it for yourself.

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

So... you are a bunch of writers who decided to have big ships for no other reason but to have big ships. Sounds exactly like what everyone has been telling you.

The fact is you have been defensive the entire time about this. If you can't take criticism of your 14 km ship or the universe you like to play in, then don't bring it up. It was you who brought up causually like it was normal to have in a RPG to have 14 km ships.

Sorry, but it isn't. Ever since the start of internet when people could post their designs of their ships, there has always been a craze of trying to do a one-up on someone else or something else. Even a totally original universe has that because ultimately there is no logical reason to have such large ships unless something is preventing them to have smaller ships.

You have yet to explain anything. So why quit trying to explain when you haven't explained anything beyond "I wanted a 14km ship". Because to everyone here that is exactly what it sounds like. You haven't told anyone here WHY the ships are so large.

I mean it's one thing if your ships were unique in being that big to fit within a role and a mission. Generation ship for example. But you are saying there are even larger ships that makes your look tiny in comparison.

Sorry, but you seriously need to look up the definition of fanwank.
              Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
                So... you are a bunch of writers who decided to have big ships for no other reason but to have big ships. Sounds exactly like what everyone has been telling you.

The fact is you have been defensive the entire time about this. If you can't take criticism of your 14 km ship or the universe you like to play in, then don't bring it up. It was you who brought up causually like it was normal to have in a RPG to have 14 km ships.

Sorry, but it isn't. Ever since the start of internet when people could post their designs of their ships, there has always been a craze of trying to do a one-up on someone else or something else. Even a totally original universe has that because ultimately there is no logical reason to have such large ships unless something is preventing them to have smaller ships.

You have yet to explain anything. So why quit trying to explain when you haven't explained anything beyond "I wanted a 14km ship". Because to everyone here that is exactly what it sounds like. You haven't told anyone here WHY the ships are so large.

I mean it's one thing if your ships were unique in being that big to fit within a role and a mission. Generation ship for example. But you are saying there are even larger ships that makes your look tiny in comparison.

Sorry, but you seriously need to look up the definition of fanwank.
                Did I not just say that the debate was over ? Did you miss that ?

Comment

There was no debate.

Besides, you could have never responded back or did you not know that?
                  Hi There!

Comment

OK enough is ENOUGH.

can we please get this thread back on topic.

this thread is a bout ship design so unless you have a ship that you want to post or comment on besides thrashing someone elses please dont make a post.

now if you want to critique someone elses ship design tell them what you think is wrong with it and tell them what you would do differently without bashing them for their so called stupidity.

the only people who call others stupid are those who think themselves superior to others. on this thread no one is superior to anyone else. Just at different stages of capability.

i know this because when i started on here 3.5 years ago i was designing fanwank ships and i got shot down alot. but with the encouragement of a few of the members here i am doing a heck of a lot better.

and look at ALX. he went from fanwank to being paid for the CG that he does. he is currently doing independant CG for a movie.
                    Last edited by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei; 02 May 2012, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I already suggested a few things for her design. Very doubtful she'll use them. Also when did I call her stupid?

Anyway I have been toying with the idea of the other Earth powers like Russian EU, and China reusing the 303 design but heavily upgraded from the get-go. I figure that with the US building expensive 304s, the other powers would build upgraded 303s or 303.5 whatevers.

Instead of the U shaped superstructure, it would be more solild, the superstructure slightly more squat. The hanger pods would be enlarged with 302s having foldable wings. Two fixed Asgard Plasma Cannons on the bow supplemented by a Russian build rapid firing Gauold type staff weapon they engineered.

The Goauld staff weapon that the Russians made is a reverse engineered and heavily modified weapon originally designed to shoot down enemy fighters or small craft. Turned out to be unsuccessful but when enhanced, could be used as a effective anti-ship weapon.

I figure the Chinese have two, the Russians have two, Britain has one, and the EU has one. All of them are assigned ultimately to the SGC but given some leeway according to their respective countries if they wished to explore.

The idea was basically allow Earth, not just the US to build ships.
                      Hi There!

Comment

@ McAvoy please do not take offense to my previous post it was made as a general statement.

and the"stupid" reference can be infered by how people write what they are typing.

remember the written word is highly subjective and open to being misinterpreted by the one who is reading it.

which is why most of the long term members and the mods ask people to be more gentle with what they write.

as for you ship, while it sounds good i do believe that in one episode the russian colonel says that after the U.S. spends billions of dollars perfecting the designs, they get them and build them at a much lower cost.

Comment

this is how I make a starship; I first think to myself, "What do I want this starship to do ?" Once I have the desired role chosen I begin design. "How big must it be to fit this role ?" If the role calls for a smaller ship that I already have constructted, then I just assign the role to the premade ship. THAT is realistic.
                          Yes this is realistic. We never criticized this. it's the part where you go "my ship absolutely NEEDS to be 14km in order to work".

Why you need breeder ships is beyond me, if you have the construction and technology abilities of an entire galaxy, you could make a Dyson sphere around every star. And artificial gravity makes building all sorts of space habitats a LOT easier.

The only construct that somewhat makes sense to me is the Shipyard, it'll be big, yes, obviously bigger than the ship it makes.

nevermind, i just noticed the word "magic" on the Multiverse page.

Anyway I have been toying with the idea of the other Earth powers like Russian EU, and China reusing the 303 design but heavily upgraded from the get-go. I figure that with the US building expensive 304s, the other powers would build upgraded 303s or 303.5 whatevers.
                          well, the 303 was discarded for a reason.
                          Last edited by thekillman; 02 May 2012, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            nevermind, i just noticed the word "magic" on the Multiverse page.

well, the 303 was discarded for a reason.
                            Well, the Multiverse is any era, any character any linage whatever, so yeah, Magic happens. though most of the Aschen Factionsships have magic or mana inhibitors.

Now, I wonder, why were th 303s discarded ? Funky looking design ? {I personally thought it looked something akin to a buffalo with a long nose}

Comment

Well, the Multiverse is any era, any character any linage whatever, so yeah, Magic happens. though most of the Aschen Factionsships have magic or mana inhibitors.
                              After i read some of the characters and factions of the Multiverse, i realized this discussion is pointless. The entire multiverse has nothing to do with realism, so trying to put some in ship design is moot.

Now, I wonder, why were th 303s discarded ? Funky looking design ? {I personally thought it looked something akin to a buffalo with a long nose}
                              it was designed based upon Earth's knowledge and limited experience. They learned a lot from the 303 in terms of design, but simply too many modifications were made. IE, the Asgard modified the structure, that goauld (Conrad?) modified the hyperdrive, and the Naquahdriah hyperdrive was ejected and replaced by a Goauld one.

Afterwards, the Asgard gave us shield and hyperdrive technology, which once again threw a wrench in the 303's design.

I consider it extremely likely that when the 304 was designed, at least 1 Asgard sat along the design table to ensure the asgard side of the technologies would be properly installed and designed into the ship.

Also, it's clear that the military wasn't 100% happy with the design, as the 304 features more guns and bigger and better hangars.

Comment

Another class of drone.
                                015-S-HAC-Hebi (Serpent.)
                                Size
                                -8.5 m long
                                -5.5 m wide
                                -2.5 m high

Type:Automated or manned short range attack craft.

Role: Stealth attack craft. Bombing or fighter interception duty.

Classification: Type one small hull. Designation-015-S-HAC-Hebi.

Builders: Hiati house with subcontracted parts from Yokuzaki, Mittsakou and Seronashi.

Operators: Houjin space navy.

Built: approx 2015-present.

Completed/planned: Unknown.

Active: Unknown.

In commission: 2016-present.

Powerplant
                                -LN fission cell
                                -Solar collector array
                                -5 batteries
                                Propulsion
                                Innertialess drive system
                                Emergency thrusters.
                                Defenses

-Shields: Yokuzaki/Mittsakou hybrid drone protection shield technology.
                                -Enhanced E.W system.
                                -10cm nano armor.
                                -1 cm stealth plating.
                                -Anti personnel surge system.(To protect against tampering.)
                                Weapons
                                -Four Drone sized plasma lances.
                                -Can carry 5 missiles or bombs.
                                Other
                                -Shielded drone AI system.
                                Can support 1 human sized life form in the cockpit and 2 in the missile/bomb bay.
                                Sophisticated passive/active sensor grid.

Design: Stealth tactics are an important part of any intel gathering operation. This craft has a far more sophisticated sensor system then what is usually present on combat drone craft, more on the lines of a probe.

Stealth tactics can also turn the tide of war in your favor quite quickly. The Houjin know this and have been building the Hebi series attack craft for these purposes.

It is a hybrid craft, it can go automated or it can have a pilot. Because of the need for more parts and systems it is slightly larger then its fellow attack craft.

Combat: The 015 Hebi in an excellent fighter interceptor as it has more DEW weapons designed for cutting enemy fighters to ribbons then the 042-B-AAC missile drone. It is also nearly impossible to get a target lock on for enemy fighters because of its E.W system and stealth plating, meaning the enemy has to fire well manually aiming.

As a bomber it does lack storage space as compared to missile drones, but to help counter this larger yield warheads are used. It also tends to come back intact more often then missile drones.
                                sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Working...
                                X