Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said it once, the way I work is that if a ship cannot hold what I plan for it to be able to hold, it is too small, if it cannot fill the role I plan for it to fill then it wont. If I want to rule through fear to keep local systems in line, then fine I'll do so. if I want to make a 40KM long starship to fill a set role then I'll do so.

But like I said my ships are as long as 14KM in length or round. each one has a role to fill in the entire fleet. multirole ships in fact. If a ship cannot fill a role I wont make it, unless I planned for a multirole ship, Sure it would cost a lot, but some of the starships I have seen online are just so freaking SMALL that none of them would be able to fill any of the roles I'd personally have in mind for a starship fleet.

For example a starship said to be larger than the Daedalus, but looks like the Daedalus in overall shape, just larger, is still too small to me because it is only 634 meters long {the Daedalus was what 600 meters long ?} the roles designed for it are all out of whack because it is just too small, it wont fit those roles, period. If you want a massive warship, make one.

I'm not one to bash ones imagination, so if you want a starship to be a realistic size, fine by me.

In fact what makes it fun in the Multiverse, is that my faction is allies with another faction, sure my faction is smaller that all the other factions, but it is growing, forge worlds, hive worlds, death worlds, any kind of worlds in the galaxy in question {in this case Corus Galaxy} have the means and manpower to construct starships to a set size for the roles I want filled. Heck one of the factions I am allied with have ships twice the size of mine. I do not debate with them on ship sizes, I find them very realistic

And as a writer I aim for as realistic as possible, then go from there with my imagination.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

What role are you talking about that you or someone else needs city sized ships? You are not getting it AT ALL. There is nothing realistic in building 14 kilometer vessels at all. When you see such sized ships are either A) lack of technology to make them smaller. B) Kewl factor like Star Wars. Shock and awe.

You are acting like building these ships are perfectly logical.

Yes. I want to build a super duper carrier, troop carrier battleship, to be the fastest ship in the universe that also time travels and is a colony ship. So to fit all these roles, the ship needs to be 46 kilometers long. Also it carry ships the size of 304s like fighters. So by your logic I am going to build it because if it doesn't fit the role I intend I shouldn't build it.

Please tell be where it's realistic to build such large ships? Even Star wars doesn't do this. Their ships range from a few hundred meters to a couple thousand ships with 17.6 meter ships rare.

Your ship and anything beyond that is fan******y. It's the very definition of it.

Ask yourself this question then. If that multiverse you 'play' all scaled back their ships size by 10 or more would it affect anything? Would it really matter? Would it really matter if your ships was scaled up ten fold to 140 kilometers? In the end, is just you wanting large kewl ships or is a real reason why these ships have to be this large?

Why not have three ships in place of one? Why not? Why not have ten ships instead of one. You keep repeating that smaller ships won't do. Why not?

Where is your reasoning behind all of this? Why are these ships so large and I don't mean just yours either. Is it because there are limitations in technology so you all have to scale it up? Or is it because someone decided "I want to play a game where everyone has gigantic ships."

So... yeah tell your friends I want to join and I want to build ships that hurl planets at 10,000x the speed of light with pinpoint accuracy and has infinite speed, and eats stars and blackholes for fuel. Tell me how they feel about that. Too much? It fits the role I want it to be. Anything smaller and weaker will not do for me. It has to be that ship or better. Hell, I want a ship that hurls galaxies like a baseball.

See I got an imagination too. But is it realistic?
      Hi There!

Comment

I'll just reverse this discussion.

If i had to fight 14 kilometer ships with thousands of troops on them, i'd do something completely different.

Now let's see. i can estimate the rough firepower needed. given the ship's firepower, i'd put the size threshold at about 800 meters. below that, and your ship is cannon fodder.

Not sure about that ship's shape. Actually, i don't care. mine's gonna be 1.2 kilometers long. The ship is a Capital Ship Killer class, that is, it's purely designed to kill other ships, nothing else.

The ship is about 400x400 high and wide. I'd fit it with, uhm, about 3 High-end Naquahdriah reactors. (Naquahdriah, not naquahdah). It's not smart to do on a ship that needs to last an eon, but since all i need to do is get in and kill a ship, i'll leave logistics to other ships and use naquahdriah for a far greater power output.

Armament? well since it's a universe of big ships: 4 enormous fixed sustained plasma beam cannons. given the size and power generation of my ship, that's beyond Ori firepower. To cope with possible pesky smaller ships, i'd fit about 12 capital-type plasma turrets, and about 36 Ultra-rapid-fire plasma turrets to cope with everything from a missile to small ships.

Given the size, and tactics employed by the 14 Km ship, and my own, i'd install 4 shield generators near the front, and 1 in the back. I'd tie shield power to my sensors, so i detect incoming fire and divert power to the attacked generator.

It gives my ship quite a recharge time, but i simply travel to an allied planet to recharge in a few hours.

Lastly, i'd pack it with, uhm i'm going for quite discarable here, so a twin hyperdrive.

Lastly-lasty, i'd give the ship a trinium-based skeleton and good ol' boron carbide armor. nothing fancy, as i'd be screwed once the ships drop.

and then? then i'd build 10 of them and continuously bombard the enemy shield with a vast amount of energy channeled into 4 plasma beams. think "APBW" x 10.

And this isn't fanwank.

one last thing: you want to use a few thousand troops to conquer a world? a world would have billions of inhabitants. plus, a world can fit a million times more weapons than any ship can, better, simpler, cheaper and more powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
          What role are you talking about that you or someone else needs city sized ships? You are not getting it AT ALL. There is nothing realistic in building 14 kilometer vessels at all. When you see such sized ships are either A) lack of technology to make them smaller. B) Kewl factor like Star Wars. Shock and awe.

You are acting like building these ships are perfectly logical.

Yes. I want to build a super duper carrier, troop carrier battleship, to be the fastest ship in the universe that also time travels and is a colony ship. So to fit all these roles, the ship needs to be 46 kilometers long. Also it carry ships the size of 304s like fighters. So by your logic I am going to build it because if it doesn't fit the role I intend I shouldn't build it.

Please tell be where it's realistic to build such large ships? Even Star wars doesn't do this. Their ships range from a few hundred meters to a couple thousand ships with 17.6 meter ships rare.

Your ship and anything beyond that is fan******y. It's the very definition of it.

Ask yourself this question then. If that multiverse you 'play' all scaled back their ships size by 10 or more would it affect anything? Would it really matter? Would it really matter if your ships was scaled up ten fold to 140 kilometers? In the end, is just you wanting large kewl ships or is a real reason why these ships have to be this large?

Why not have three ships in place of one? Why not? Why not have ten ships instead of one. You keep repeating that smaller ships won't do. Why not?

Where is your reasoning behind all of this? Why are these ships so large and I don't mean just yours either. Is it because there are limitations in technology so you all have to scale it up? Or is it because someone decided "I want to play a game where everyone has gigantic ships."

So... yeah tell your friends I want to join and I want to build ships that hurl planets at 10,000x the speed of light with pinpoint accuracy and has infinite speed, and eats stars and blackholes for fuel. Tell me how they feel about that. Too much? It fits the role I want it to be. Anything smaller and weaker will not do for me. It has to be that ship or better. Hell, I want a ship that hurls galaxies like a baseball.

See I got an imagination too. But is it realistic?
          You say a lot and yet you still miss my point
          1. It is the MULTIVERSE not fanwank universe, Got that ? Good.
          2. the roles I require for my ships are primarily core fleet ships, I said already the round ones act as mobile shipyards. they are the backbone of my fleet as well. Smaller ships I do have yes, each one fills a different role. But almost all of them are multirole starships.
          3. Now, as to the SIZE of each ship, why would I personally want a 14KM round starship ? Well think about this a second, you're a feline creature, about 7 to 9 feet tall on average, and the average mother has three kids in a litter, twice a year {a single year being exactly four hundred 30 hour days}, sooner or later you will run out of space on a Daedalus sized craft pretty freaking quick. Therefore the cityship sized craft act more or less as breeding grounds that allow major familes, and also soldier training, and otherwise.
          4. Smaller ships wont do unless I am using them for scounting missions, deployments, guarding of the larger vessels, etc. If I want to haul major goods that require a million sqare meters of space {stacked} then I need a larger starsghip to haul the stuff.
          5. If you are serious of joining the Multiverse I must first and formost warn you, Each of us Nation Rolepalyers that also play within the Multiverse set our own limits. there are no limits to size of ships, Hell one of my planets is surrounded by massive ships dozens of kilometers long as it is, all of them filled with troops, children, parents, supplies, workshops, etc with dozens being churned out at the same rate the armies and crews and etc are being trained for each ship. Heck the Aschen alone are a massive group that control three galaxies, then there is the Taiyu that control two galaxies and have stolen Reverance IIs and such.
          6. Stars for feul ? its been done to death already. but still if you want to join the Multiverse, that is all up to you, but do not expect to have a warm welcome if you plan on blasting in like it reads,

If you want I can post up my own starship specs for one of my Breederships for an example.

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            one last thing: you want to use a few thousand troops to conquer a world? a world would have billions of inhabitants. plus, a world can fit a million times more weapons than any ship can, better, simpler, cheaper and more powerful.
            One tiny problem here, most worlds in the Taiyu and Und empires have around three to seven trillion inhabatants, given the fact that they are either forge worlds or hive worlds. either one churns out starships, fighters, weapons, and crews and pilots and whatever else that is required on a starship. However, about a handful don;t even have near a billion inhabatants, and on such worlds rebellion ferments. So large ships do keep smaller systems in line

Alsxo, I liek the looks of that ship A lot

Comment

However, about a handful don;t even have near a billion inhabatants, and on such worlds rebellion ferments.
              There's rebellion on worlds with low population but not on multi-trillion worlds?

oh and: even around a billion inhabitants, i don't see how a few thousand troops can keep such worlds in check. any turret on a spaceship is more dangerous than those troops

Now, as to the SIZE of each ship, why would I personally want a 14KM round starship ? Well think about this a second, you're a feline creature, about 7 to 9 feet tall on average, and the average mother has three kids in a litter, twice a year {a single year being exactly four hundred 30 hour days}, sooner or later you will run out of space on a Daedalus sized craft pretty freaking quick. Therefore the cityship sized craft act more or less as breeding grounds that allow major familes, and also soldier training, and otherwise.
              humans reproduce roughly once a year, and have between 1 and 2 children per round. humans can reproduce to about the age of 50, starting at around 16 years. do we reproduce about 34 times in our lifetime? no.

Smaller ships wont do unless I am using them for scounting missions, deployments, guarding of the larger vessels, etc. If I want to haul major goods that require a million sqare meters of space {stacked} then I need a larger starsghip to haul the stuff.
              you don't need a spaceship, you need a frame with engines.

Anyway, i've seen enough. it all boils down to "because we can".
              also, are you aware of the saying "the bigger they are, the harder they fall"?

in such a multiverse, i'd swarm ships with such fleets that they can't even target half my vessels and every square inch of shield gets hammered with plasma bolts so much, i'd have to take plasma interference into account.

no scratch that. i'd pull a Crazy Tom: I'd develop full-blown Von Neumann fleets. except i'd make dedicated miners, dedicated producers and dedicated warships (each with redundant capacities, so a warship can mine and produce too, and a miner can fight. just not as good as the dedicated version).

Each Autowarship would have 3 main plasma beams which drain about 40% of the ship's power (the other 60% divided over shields and other systems).

Comment

1.It is the MULTIVERSE not fanwank universe, Got that ? Good.
                It's fanwank. Building huge ships with no better purpose than being big without regards to HOW it would be built.

Lastly no I am not serious in joining a fan created fanwank universe. I hold little to no interest in fanwank.
                Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
                  It's fanwank. Building huge ships with no better purpose than being big without regards to HOW it would be built.

Lastly no I am not serious in joining a fan created fanwank universe. I hold little to no interest in fanwank.
                  I just TOLD you, it is not FANWANK AT ALL!! Get that through your mind, it is the Multiverse, with nation roleplayers that write their nations as they see fit, if we want to have huge ships in our factions, then that is what we want, you don't have to bash those choices as you are doing right now.

Comment

Princess Awinita, when I was younger vessels like the ones you describe always held my interest. In fact, I still believe them to be "cool" and interesting to look at or read the specifications, just simply not viable in the Stargate reality. However, however I feel it should be pointed out that this is your multiverse, or at least your nation and your personal hobby, so I would say you can feel free to do whatever you want and design whatever you personally feel is viable or necessary within the realms of that said reality.

Right guys?
                    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

like i said: it's building big ships for no other purpose than building big ships. if you can't even keep the reproduction of your crewmembers in check, or think that thousands of troops can keep earth-like planets under their thumb, you should really question your own capabilities as a race. especially if you're already controlling 3 galaxies.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                        I just TOLD you, it is not FANWANK AT ALL!! Get that through your mind, it is the Multiverse, with nation roleplayers that write their nations as they see fit, if we want to have huge ships in our factions, then that is what we want, you don't have to bash those choices as you are doing right now.
                        Of course it is fanwank. You want big ships just to have big ships without any regard to how impractical it really is.

You still haven't even answered any of my questions either. All you have told me is that you had ships built to fit roles you want. It's apparent you didn't really think about it beyond I want a 14 kilometer ship.

1. You haven't said what roles these ships are supposed to do. Why do they need to be so large when smaller ships will not fit?

2. You haven't answered if everyone were to scale down OR up their ships by a factor of ten would it change anything.

3. Why are these ships so large?

Have you even thought about it beyond "I want a 14 kilometer ship that can do everything I want it to do." ALL repeat after me ALL, ALL, ALL, ALL ship designs are compromises. Whether they are fighters, tanks, transports, warships, or guns. THEY WILL ALWAYS BE COMPROMISES. Do you understand that concept? Building 14 kilometer ships and saying that there are larger ones means nothing. All it means is that you wanted everything and you wanted large ships. That is not imagination nor is it realistic.

Ask yourself why? How? Where? What? Ask yourself these questions about this so called multiverse has ships so large.
                        Hi There!

Comment

And as a writer I aim for as realistic as possible, then go from there with my imagination.
                          if I want to make a 40KM long starship to fill a set role then I'll do so.
                          Someone tell me this; why does everyone hate starship designs and tries to rip them apart ? rather than admire the maker for their imaginative ideas ?
                          Just a few reasons why I am bashing this. You haven't indicated why these ships are so realistic and imaginitive. All you have indicated is that you wanted 14 kilometer ships. If you wanted 40 kilometer ships you would have done so.

Just halving the size of your ship's dimensions, you can build 8 ships. Making them 3.5 kilometer ships gives you 64 kilometer ships. Making them 1.4 kilometer ships, then you can make 1,000 ships. Now ask yourself why not have these many ships? What are the roles? Are there physical limitations to have ships this large? Is your nation technology so bulky that you need to have 14 kilometer or larger ships?

It is rather obvious that you haven't even thought of this.
                          Hi There!

Comment

It is rather obvious that you haven't even thought of this.
                            quick note here: as an engineer, i agree. the only reason i've actually seen is, "because we can."

Navies employ entire fleets with dozens of ship types to fill all needed roles. they don't send some kind of hypercarrier doubling as a submarine doubling as a torpedo boat doubling as a CIWS-type ship doubling as a battleship.

EDIT:

14km ships would not be fanwank if there was some reason to it that made sense, some reason that screamed "400m ships can't do this."

EDIT2:

if my enemy employed really massive ships, my first thought as an engineer would be: "how small can i make mine?"

David Vs Goliath comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              quick note here: as an engineer, i agree. the only reason i've actually seen is, "because we can."

Navies employ entire fleets with dozens of ship types to fill all needed roles. they don't send some kind of hypercarrier doubling as a submarine doubling as a torpedo boat doubling as a CIWS-type ship doubling as a battleship.

EDIT:

14km ships would not be fanwank if there was some reason to it that made sense, some reason that screamed "400m ships can't do this."

EDIT2:

if my enemy employed really massive ships, my first thought as an engineer would be: "how small can i make mine?"

David Vs Goliath comes to mind.
                              I agree. That is why asked multiple times why are these ships so large. I can understand if technology of that universe is so bulky that to build anything small would be impractical. But so far there are no reasons behind it.
                              Hi There!

Comment

Well, it seems to be stargate-based, so i don't see any reason at all to make ships that big.

It doesn't help that Stargate makes bigger ships exponentially more worthless. i mean, a Hiveship is 11km, but Cruisers have MUCH better performance in every area. (and are 100x smaller or so).

Comment

Working...
                                X