This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
    No, I meant doing the greebling was boring.
    Ah yes well that it is, it's like when I design an engineering component for a customer, I'm more than happy to draw him a thingymajig, but then he wants all the whatsits added as well
    My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
    sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Hey guys, I've been AFK for far too long. School is a nightmare. I like the ships I'm seeing.

I've been working on an old design that I have... And yes, I've been watching some Trek which wore off on this lol. But hey, I wanted to make a ship that was still Tau'ri looking yet had some elegance to it as well... This is still pretty rough, I haven't figured out how I want it all to come together and right now it's more of a template than anything, since I've been doing a lot of cutting and pasting from other ideas I had.

Anyways, here we go.

Spoiler:

Any feedback and ideas are greatly appreciated. I don't quite know where I should take it haha.

I know that the engines are huge in proportion, but I want this ship to have a lot of speed and power. It's not meant to duke it out head on with capital ships, but to assume more of a stealth role. My idea was that it would approach enemies completely powered down, then surprise them with a huge barrage of missiles from all of its missile bays, and then be able to quickly get moving again and escape. That's why the engines stop near the hull and their casings continue outwards, it's supposed to be to shroud the emissions somewhat.

People frown on missiles given Stargate's tech, but I think that used properly they would be devastating in battles. The ships in Stargate were just stupid and never used them wisely, let alone do any tactical thinking.
      Last edited by Finger13; 17 December 2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
        Hey guys, I've been AFK for far too long. School is a nightmare. I like the ships I'm seeing.

I've been working on an old design that I have... And yes, I've been watching some Trek which wore off on this lol. But hey, I wanted to make a ship that was still Tau'ri looking yet had some elegance to it as well... This is still pretty rough, I haven't figured out how I want it all to come together and right now it's more of a template than anything, since I've been doing a lot of cutting and pasting from other ideas I had.

Anyways, here we go.

Any feedback and ideas are greatly appreciated. I don't quite know where I should take it haha.

I know that the engines are huge in proportion, but I want this ship to have a lot of speed and power. It's not meant to duke it out head on with capital ships, but to assume more of a stealth role. My idea was that it would approach enemies completely powered down, then surprise them with a huge barrage of missiles from all of its missile bays, and then be able to quickly get moving again and escape.

People frown on missiles given Stargate's tech, but I think that used properly they would be devastating in battles. The ships in Stargate were just stupid and never used them wisely, let alone do any tactical thinking.
        You are going in a nice direction, and the missiles are great. Very sleek and graceful design

Comment

@pjOZ im not trying to argue with you here just want to point out a few things. first with inertial dampeners the overall mass can be decreased by upto 90%. second Atlantis which as we all know is both a city and a ship is 4km in diam. or 13123.4ft(thats more than twice the length of my vessel) and due to inertial dampeners it still flies. the Daedelu is 630m in length and thats a battleship. it makes sense that a carrier would be atleast twice as large if not bigger. i am keeping my ship design well within SG canon. and if you really want to get picky i can just say in the specs that the ship has multiple micro shield generators that boost the structural integrity.
          Last edited by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei; 17 December 2009, 09:40 PM.
          sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Might have something to post when I get back from school. Its not stargate but I like it. Its a sort of very early AU trek ship.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
              @pjOZ im not trying to argue with you here just want to point out a few things. first with inertial dampeners the overall mass can be decreased by upto 90%. second Atlantis which as we all know is both a city and a ship is 4km in diam. or 13123.4ft(thats more than twice the length of my vessel) and due to inertial dampeners it still flies. the Daedelu is 630m in length and thats a battleship. it makes sense that a carrier would be atleast twice as large if not bigger. i am keeping my ship design well within SG canon. and if you really want to get picky i can just say in the specs that the ship has multiple micro shield generators that boost the structural integrity.
              No argument from me Setsuna, I'm just pointing out a few things from a proffesional level (BA of Mechanical Engineering). Even if inertial dampers existed with the capacity to keep the integrity of those dimiensions intact, they in themselves would comsume immense amounts of absurd power. The whole point of my post, was to try and guide you along what is a actual feasible line of direction. In reality, Atlantis would be impossible. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a more conservative approach to size. And btw, The 304 class is only 195mtrs long and that is a fact, from the mouth of the graphic artist who did the concpetual and final CG's on Daedalus, so in truth, your sizes are way beyond canon for a Tauri ship. And also think of this, no country on Earth, even the US, could afford to build such a vessel:

Comment

if the deadalus is 200m long, then the CGI artists screwed up far, far more than we thought so far. it's common scale is 600-700m. compare it to (CANON) a hive, and it's 1.1km long. alongside ha'tak, its 600-1000m long, compare it, and it's always bigger than that

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                  And btw, The 304 class is only 195mtrs long and that is a fact, from the mouth of the graphic artist who did the concpetual and final CG's on Daedalus

where did you get your info????

I got mine From boberth2o's scaling thread

Comment

ok here are 2 pics of the power core it self. what you see when the ship is attached is the grey ring connecting everything.

and the part that you can see through is a focefield surrounding the main core.
                    I'm concerned about the support for the Core. Internal and External.
                    I'm not sure what to say. I simply don't know the nature of what you're designing but I assumed that everything that was colored was part of the core itself not a structural component to the ship...

If that is so..then there is precious little holding that power unit stable...or ridge to the ship....rather lets put it this way...there is precious little connecting the Ships Engine section withe the Forward sections.

Out side of Hyperspace deceleration and acceleration I'm concerned that the volume of space around the core is insufficient for the supports necessary to mate the two sections together.

I'm always thinking structurally. I know it's fictional but it's just my observation.

Those are good points.
                    Remember though,
                    Inertial Dampeners only reduce masses' tendency to resist a change in motion. It wouldn't make a structure structurally sound.

Star Trek uses Structural Integrity Fields and IDF's in combination.
                    Note: these Sci Fi wonders are active systems and not passive systems. Without them your ship and most ships would not survive unpowered flight, reentry or becapable of landing on the ground.

But then...this is fiction so it's no big deal.

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                    Just a little note from a certified engineer. It's nice to have these uber sized ships, but structurally it is flawed. Even in space the vessel is still subject to the laws of physics and gravity. At 1.7km long, a ship of that magnitude, would have to have a mass proportional to it's volume to stop it from collapsing upon itself. In other words, once you get past a certain critical mass and size, the vessel will become almost a planetoid in itself, requiring almost a solid density to maintain integrity. To err on the side of caution, I would try and keep you extreme lengths to less than a kilometre, and proportional depths and widths, even a ship of that size is still massive. Just look down a long road, and picture a ship 800 mtrs long, that is immense.
                    I know it's sci-fi, and we can do what we please, but it would be nice if we can stay within the boundries of practicality
                    I concur.
                    I'm just a Drafter but I understand the premise.

Comment

that's the figure from some magazine.

anyway, as i said, i prefer to use fan scalings, which are rather accurate, over those magazines.

in The Siege, the deadalus lands inbetween two atlantean piers. if deadalus is 200m, then atlantis is barely 1 km

Comment

i agree with you killman. fan scalings usually seem to be the most accurate when placed against something we know the size of.

Comment

LOL the everlasting Scaling arguement....
                          i stick to my oppinion scale doesnt matter i scale up and down all the time depending on the effect i want in my renders and animations so IMO aslong as it looks the part i have no objections, however structural integrity is a factor i try and considder when i build Ships.

@LOS so when are you gonna share your new "toy" with us?

Comment

Spent three hours today rendering a 3-second spin around my Midget ship..... and it'll be on here once i work out just where Première Pro has dumped the final clip

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

ooh premiere is sweet played with it some good stuff!

Comment

Animation test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSWxg...eature=channel

Comment

Working...
                                X