Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A single small meteor in the right place and it doesn't matter where the fuel tank is if you are only using modern spaceship design.

Comment

ok. SPACE DEBRIS hitting the fuel tank. there's tons of that in orbit

Comment

that's where shields are for.

www.darkarmada.nl
        www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

not if you use realistic tech

Comment

well then what are we to use??

www.darkarmada.nl
            www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Hm. Well either armor plating or you could just make sure the fuel is non combustible in its stored state.

Comment

like hydrogen...

lol
                Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  ok. SPACE DEBRIS hitting the fuel tank. there's tons of that in orbit
                  Its called thick armor plating. And i dont care what You say to be honest. It may not seem smart to you and thats YOUR Opinion not mine and not someother people's either.
                  Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Yeah not to pick sides but I mean, look at BSG. I wouldn't call it unrealistic, yet the cockpits on Vipers and Raptors are entirely exposed with merely glass protecting it. Same goes for Star Furies in Babylon 5, the Serenity in Firefly, 302's, Tel'tacs, Al'kesh, Gliders.

A) It's sci-fi, and given the designs of a lot of the ships that get posted here, mine included, I think space debris is the last of concerns when it comes to realism.
                    B) It's for fun, just like everything else in Stargate and sci-fi. Look at the big agro ships in BSG that have glass domes, or the tankers in BSG that are just giant tanks mounted along the hull's spine. Cloud 9 is a good example. Or the Resurrection Ship.

Having a solid armoured dome of an unknown thickness and strength holding liquids is far more believable than the glass domes that we see in sci-fi so often. Not to mention the U.S' shuttles and the ISS. The shuttles are in and out of our orbit several times a year and they aren't exactly clad in armour lol.

I won't pretend to be an expert, and I know there's a lot of trash trapped in our orbit, but we're talking about interplanetary/stellar/galactic ships here. It's not exactly the place for bickering over such menial things like a bolt floating around in space.

Comment

Came up with a little idea for a new ship weapon not sure if it wuld work right enough. Ive added it to my latest spec.

Spoiler:
                      Name: CR-310 Orilla'
                      Class: Cruiser
                      Tech base: Advanced Human/Asgard
                      Users: Stargate Treaty Nations (US, Britain, China, Russia)

dimentions: 400mL
                      Hull: Titainium/firber glass/trinium alloy. (thick)

Power:
                      1x Mini NIG
                      Time Dialation Naquadah Generators (For Weapons)

Engines:
                      2x Large Ion Drives ( Including Plasma Afterburner)
                      4x Small Ion Drives
                      Intergalactic Hyperdrive

Defences:
                      10cm thick Trinium Armour Plating

Armament:
                      2x Forward TDAPBW (Time Dialation Asgard Plasma Beam Weapon)
                      3x Forward TDAPW (Time Dialation Asgard Pulse Weapons)
                      10x 274mm Coil Guns
                      26x 50mm Rail Guns

Additional craft:
                      8X F-302

Other:
                      Asgard sensors
                      Beaming tech
                      Advanced medical equipment
                      All ecentials ect.

History/notes:

In 2009 scientists began to work with the time dialation fields in the asgard database tryig to see if their was a way to use them as a weapon somehow. For almost a year they tried and tried until on the 21st of April 2010 they made a breakthrough. They succesfully used a time dialation field to speed up the output of a naquadah generator and the recharge of a plasma weapon to increase the rate of fire.

The Idea for the CR-310 was put forward by the Scientists to the STN and it was welcomed gladly. The first 310 was completed on the 13th of March 2011 and it did much greater then anyone had expected.

The new TDAPBW had a rate of fire 3 times greater then previous model and the same was for the TDAPW, in all words a complete success.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

ok lemme rephrase:

for a ship, say a warship, its bad. being a fuel tanker is a whole different cup of tea

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
                          Came up with a little idea for a new ship weapon not sure if it wuld work right enough. Ive added it to my latest spec.

Spoiler:
                          Name: CR-310 Orilla'
                          Class: Cruiser
                          Tech base: Advanced Human/Asgard
                          Users: Stargate Treaty Nations (US, Britain, China, Russia)

dimentions: 400mL
                          Hull: Titainium/firber glass/trinium alloy. (thick)

Power:
                          1x Mini NIG
                          Time Dialation Naquadah Generators (For Weapons)

Engines:
                          2x Large Ion Drives ( Including Plasma Afterburner)
                          4x Small Ion Drives
                          Intergalactic Hyperdrive

Defences:
                          10cm thick Trinium Armour Plating

Armament:
                          2x Forward TDAPBW (Time Dialation Asgard Plasma Beam Weapon)
                          3x Forward TDAPW (Time Dialation Asgard Pulse Weapons)
                          10x 274mm Coil Guns
                          26x 50mm Rail Guns

Additional craft:
                          8X F-302

Other:
                          Asgard sensors
                          Beaming tech
                          Advanced medical equipment
                          All ecentials ect.

History/notes:

In 2009 scientists began to work with the time dialation fields in the asgard database tryig to see if their was a way to use them as a weapon somehow. For almost a year they tried and tried until on the 21st of April 2010 they made a breakthrough. They succesfully used a time dialation field to speed up the output of a naquadah generator and the recharge of a plasma weapon to increase the rate of fire.

The Idea for the CR-310 was put forward by the Scientists to the STN and it was welcomed gladly. The first 310 was completed on the 13th of March 2011 and it did much greater then anyone had expected.

The new TDAPBW had a rate of fire 3 times greater then previous model and the same was for the TDAPW, in all words a complete success.
                          Wouldn't it be more efficient to make a better power source?
                          sigpic
                          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            ok lemme rephrase:

for a ship, say a warship, its bad. being a fuel tanker is a whole different cup of tea
                            Its a CARGO SHIP! I said that already.
                            Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

just a small upadate on my scene with the hatak battle. put in a background as well.

Spoiler:
                              Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                              sigpic

Comment

looks great, but you might want to try doing the effects in another program, like photoshop or something. maybe not photoshop, but i'm sure there are free software out there made for that kind of effects.
                                sigpic

Spoiler:
                                Originally posted by IMDB
                                Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                                Hehe

Comment

Working...
                                X