This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lightsabre
    You mean, like Jack did hwo many times???
    In a combat situation? wait, wasn't he usually the leader in those things? I'd be happy to debate it if you gave me an example.

Then as I siad, the CO should have barred him.
    maybe so, but lets not turn this into a debate over LANDRY'S qualifications and just say no.

Hmm, and how do you know that Dr Lee reported to Carter?
    Do you think he'd have packed his stuff up and be leaving if he did?
    Carter say to him "we not done till I say' and he bascially says, 'you aren't in charge'.
    Which would seem to me to indicate that she *wasn't*
    If he needed her permission, don't you think Teal'c would have stopped them, rather than stand and watch?
    Basically, it doesn't look like she was in charge at all and that makes her little outburst all the worse.
    She was the most senior military officer on an off world mission of civilians, he reported to her. Maybe not in general, but defiantly about when to leave, that's about as military as you can get on a mission like that.
    sigpic
    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
      sorry, what? you lost me.
      You started talking about Carter having 'adequete' leadership skills. I thought you must have been saying I thought she did have leadership skills.
      I wasn't.
      I was simply saying I don't think she does well as leader on the SG-1 first contact kinda missions.
      Give her a mission like 'storm a mothership' and she's fine.
      because they haven't said anything bad? how bout something good?
      Well, they haven't said anything good about Carter either. On the other hand, Mitchell's service record shows him to have 'outstanding leadership skills'.
      Outstanding. That's good, isn't it?
      He's disobeying direct orders and risking the mission because his friend's dieing? But doesn't Mitchell know that he's "mentally unstable"? isn't that MORE of a reason to listen to the commander?
      Mentally unstable? Never said that.
      Overly emotional and prone to do someting stupid? yes.
      Landry knew why Mitchell was on leave.
      He should have known, with his friends death so fresh, not to let him go.
      [QUOTE=ParadoxRealities]
      Yes, Landry let him go, but he should be able to critique and control his own actions. I bet Landry wouldn’t have let him go had he known Mitchell wouldn’t pay close attention to his own state of mind. (or was that not the angle you were going for? )
      I was saying Landry should have known he would be prone to do something stupid.
      As to Mitchell monitering himself, he probably didn't recognise it.
      In high school, my footy coach had to bench one of our guys who was playing with broken ribs.
      He told the coach he was fine, but it was obvious he was in pain. He wanted to play on cause he wanted to win. Mitchell may have felt rescuing Teal'c was more important than whatever he was going through.
      Sorry, your response was a bit confusing. My apologies if I’m putting words in your mouth )
      Hope I cleared it up!! )

Comment

I voted for Sam. Not sure why Daniel and Teal'c were put on the poll except to be politically correct (Though I'd love to see Daniel lead a team of some sort in the future).

Mitchell. Well, first off, the reason Sam isn't in charge is because of the unfortunate (yet blessed) timing of AT's pregnancy. It just so happened to coincide with RDA's departure.

Sam, whether she was gone 5 episodes or not, should have been the leader. She obviously deserved it. But TPTB needed someone to fill RDA's shoes, and they wanted someone big....not that BB is big in the TV industry...just in the Sci-fi industry (I never heard of him until he came to this show), so they couldn't put him lower in the credits. They needed someone who was big enough (supposedly) to take the lead credit. Now, if someone has the lead credit, how can they possibly justify making him the 21C?

I still think a better choice would have been Adam Baldwin. We've seen him lead in the past. He has the experience and the leadership abilities. He would have been more believable in the position. He has a name that's been out there, plus several major movie credits to his name. Who knows, maybe he was asked and turned it down. But I'd still rather have had him as leader than "Cam".

Edited to add...I hope people read my post since all this bickering is going on around it.
        Last edited by nccjones; 19 February 2006, 06:20 PM.

Comment

If he was, don't you think he would have stuck around?
          His comments seem to indicate that Carter is NOT his boss, or else, sure as shootin', Hammond would ream him out when he got back.
          He tells Carter that he did his job and he'd report to Hammond.
          IF Carter was in charge, he'd be reporting to her.
          What part of military command do you not understand?? Just because a civilian gets in a snit and decides to go home and report to the big boss (read General), does not negate the military command and who's direct control said civilian is under. Civilian is on a MILITARY mission, civilian reports to MILITARY commander.
          -

Comment

In a combat situation? wait, wasn't he usually the leader in those things? I'd be happy to debate it if you gave me an example.
            You are right, Jack tended to lead combats.
            But he disobeyed Hammond several times. LIke in the end of S1(can't remember the title) when they gate the coordinates from TBFTGG.
            Yet he's not court martialed.
            Weird you suddenly want him to be punished for it now.
            maybe so, but lets not turn this into a debate over LANDRY'S qualifications and just say no.
            Let's not. I'm just saying, whoever was in charge should have stopped him going, given they all knew about his personal stuff.
            She was the most senior military officer on an off world mission of civilians, he reported to her. Maybe not in general, but defiantly about when to leave, that's about as military as you can get on a mission like that.
            That's if the civilians report to the military.
            Remember Prodigy, the first ones?the scientists are in charge and the military just make sure they don't die.
            There is no evidence that the civilians report to teh military in the field and there is no evidence that Lee reported to Carter.
            All the evidence goes the other way.
            There seems to be a wide seperation of the civilians and the military with the lead scientist working with teh head military person, not subordinate to them.
            Kinda like on Atlantis with Weir and Shep. Weir is in charge of everything BUT the military.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
              What part of military command do you not understand?? Just because a civilian gets in a snit and decides to go home and report to the big boss (read General), does not negate the military command and who's direct control said civilian is under. Civilian is on a MILITARY mission, civilian reports to MILITARY commander.
              Yes and I'd like some PROOF it was a MILTARY mission.
              Originally maybe, but the follow up with the scientists doesn't seem to be military. However if you have some proof it was, please share it.!

Comment

Your point?
                Cam calls himself leader. Why would he do that if he wasn't leaving??
                He ID'd himself as SG-1 leader (as he has about 100 times this season) but that didn't mean he was in charge of SG-5. Sam was.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

And in 'Nightwalkers' she lies to Teal'c and Jonas about the serum and doesn't give them all the info.
                  Not to mention the fact she plays them off against each other.
                  Having seen Nightwalkers far to many times. Sam never lies about the serum, I think there are two mentions of it after they find it.
                  1) in the restaurant where she says that Dr. Fraiser thinks it's some kind of antibiotic and is running more tests.
                  2) back in the briefing room where she explains how she managed to decode more of the text and found out what it was.
                  I would assume she would have told them if they had arrived back, unfortunately they all got captured. Unless you're saying she lied to them when she didn't tell them she had taken the serum and was, in fact, not a goa'uld in a room full of goa'uld. I'll give you that, because she absolutely did not give them all the info at the time.

I missed the bit where she played Teal'c and Jonas off each other. There was no conflict between them in the entire episode, so if she was trying to play them she failed utterly.
                  Or are you talking about the cute bit at the beginning where she tells Jonas to keep an eye on Teal'c, and then Teal'c to keep an eye on Jonas?

OT:
                  Sam should lead as the show stands.
                  Mitchell should lead if he was a better character who actually displayed the leadership abilities everyone is raving about. (Flashbacks don't count - people change in a year, especially after a traumatic event)

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                    He ID'd himself as SG-1 leader (as he has about 100 times this season) but that didn't mean he was in charge of SG-5. Sam was.
                    and my point was that he was in charge of Sam. She should have checked with him before giving orders.

Comment

and my point was that he was in charge of Sam. She should have checked with him before giving orders.
                      And my point was no he wasn't. She was in charge of SG-5 and gave them orders and didn't need to check with Mitchell about something she was there to do in the first place.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

The only time I could fine Mitchell calling himself the leader of SG-1 was in Beachhead before Sam came back (I know there's a nice big sub-debate about the implications of this, but you can't use this line to determine who leads after Sam comes back). someone wanna point me in the right direction?
                        Yes and I'd like some PROOF it was a MILTARY mission.
                        Originally maybe, but the follow up with the scientists doesn't seem to be military. However if you have some proof it was, please share it.!
                        You don't need proof, the SGC is a military facility. Sam was in charge of that mission because it was an SGC mission. It doesn't need to be combat or recon. She in charge, she decides when the mission leaves. If Dr. Lee wanted to complain, go ahead, he's a civilian, but he can't just LEAVE.

Yeah I missed the nightwalkers thing too. Clarify?
                        sigpic
                        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                          Having seen Nightwalkers far to many times. Sam never lies about the serum, I think there are two mentions of it after they find it.
                          1) in the restaurant where she says that Dr. Fraiser thinks it's some kind of antibiotic and is running more tests.
                          2) back in the briefing room where she explains how she managed to decode more of the text and found out what it was.
                          I would assume she would have told them if they had arrived back, unfortunately they all got captured. Unless you're saying she lied to them when she didn't tell them she had taken the serum and was, in fact, not a goa'uld in a room full of goa'uld. I'll give you that, because she absolutely did not give them all the info at the time.
                          Hahaha. No, I'm talking about when at the end, as Jonas says, 'You really had to hit me'. SHe could have given them a signal to let them know she wasn't infested. Maybe lie was too strong a word, but it's still deceptive.
                          Originally posted by smurf
                          I missed the bit where she played Teal'c and Jonas off each other. There was no conflict between them in the entire episode, so if she was trying to play them she failed utterly.
                          Or are you talking about the cute bit at the beginning where she tells Jonas to keep an eye on Teal'c, and then Teal'c to keep an eye on Jonas?
                          Yup, that's the bit.

Comment

If Sam is in charge of SG5, she issues orders for SG5. She can't be expected to go running through the whole chain of command every time a decision needs to be made. The whole point of having a team leader is that they can make the appropriate decisions when they need to be made.

Let's ask you this... Does Cameron go asking Landry everytime he needs to do something? What about, in Off the Grid, for example?
                            Spoiler:
                            Did he go ask Landry about walking into that compound on his own and setting up the meeting? Sure Landry knew the vitals, but now all of it

If you need to report every single thing to a Senior Officer, then why bother having a chain of command at all? Why not just have Chief of Staff and then a single tier of officers?

Geez!
                            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                              And my point was no he wasn't. She was in charge of SG-5 and gave them orders and didn't need to check with Mitchell about something she was there to do in the first place.
                              My dear lord.
                              In one breath I'm telling you about military and in the other, I'm arguing with people who are saying the same thing.
                              If Jack, Carter and Hammond are in a room, Hammond is in charge, then jack, then sam.

Now, Sam was in charge of SG-5(according to you), Sam is a subordinate on SG-1 and Cam is in charge of SG-1. Therefore, Cam is in ultimate charge of the mission.
                              So yes, she should have checked with him.
                              I CANNOT make this any clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                                If Sam is in charge of SG5, she issues orders for SG5. She can't be expected to go running through the whole chain of command every time a decision needs to be made. The whole point of having a team leader is that they can make the appropriate decisions when they need to be made.

Let's ask you this... Does Cameron go asking Landry everytime he needs to do something? What about, in Off the Grid, for example?
                                Spoiler:
                                Did he go ask Landry about walking into that compound on his own and setting up the meeting? Sure Landry knew the vitals, but now all of it

If you need to report every single thing to a Senior Officer, then why bother having a chain of command at all? Why not just have Chief of Staff and then a single tier of officers?

Geez!
                                If Landry is there? yes, he does need to get permission for decisions from him.
                                That's why it's call 'command'.

Comment

Working...
                                X