Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
    Oh! Friends in the UK...do you know what whelk soup is? I had that growing up also...
    *shakes head* Its all pretty much seems to be Cod, Haddock, Salmon and Trout here *shrug*
    [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
      I'm here! I am proud of myself. I have reached my writing goal three days in a row! Hurray!

*looks for some leftover chocolate to celebrate*

I'm sorry, but that looks shudderingly awful.

I tend to go by MP, Mathie, and even Piggles.
      Not even the people who make it deny that. but hte TASTE is shudderingly amazing. Not something you want to eat often though as it's very thick.
      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
        *shakes head* Its all pretty much seems to be Cod, Haddock, Salmon and Trout here *shrug*
        Whelk is a shellfish. The UK has got to have shellfish of some sort, no?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
          Whelk is a shellfish. The UK has got to have shellfish of some sort, no?
          Yes, we have shellfish - whelks, cockles, mussels, crab, oysters, scallops and probably more (I'm not a fan of seafood in general, and shellfish in particular, so that's about the limit of my knowledge). The UK fishing industry is having a very rough time at the moment, as I understand it anyway.
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

The only kind of shellfish I like is scallops, shrimp and crab. I have tried oysters on the half shell (at a reception for one of the attorneys in the law firm I used to work in), ... only because I was dared to. And I have to admit it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again, though. Other than that, I really like salmon, tuna and halibut, and have tried several other kinds of fish that were good.

Comment

Other than crab, and occasionally lobster, I'm not much of a shellfish person. The filter-feeder types always seem too rubbery to me; it's definitely a texture thing.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I only like 'sea-bugs' when it comes to seafood.

Okay, maybe the rare tuna salad.
                Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Someday I'm going to have to make it to your side of the pond. My people left there in the mid-1600s and I've been too poor to return for a visit. I've never even HAD fish & chips (but have had much fish in my youth). Can I stay with some of you guys when I come over?? *looks around hopefully*
                  Interesting. I've traced bits of my family back to the 1600's in England (Suffolk and Surrey Counties). Further down the line, in about the 1800's some went to South Africa, then to the United States, winding up in Utah and Idaho.

The American fish and chips is probably not too much like the British kind, but I've had fish and chips and really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    The American fish and chips is probably not too much like the British kind, but I've had fish and chips and really like it.
                    Depends on where you're getting the fish and chips. I've had loads of it here in the States that Brit friends said was pretty similar to what they had back home. (Then again, I have an inordinate fondness for UK-style pubs serving fairly authentic food, which fortunately I've been able to find in most places I've lived in my adulthood. At this point I don't think I'd want to live someplace where I didn't have at least one or two of them around.)

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      The only kind of shellfish I like is scallops, shrimp and crab. I have tried oysters on the half shell (at a reception for one of the attorneys in the law firm I used to work in), ... only because I was dared to. And I have to admit it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again, though. Other than that, I really like salmon, tuna and halibut, and have tried several other kinds of fish that were good.
                      In South Carolina they steam them in the shell...so the texture is not slimy, but still kind of rubbery. I ate those and would again deliberately. I can't say I have any desire to eat them uncooked. I like salmon, tuna, and grouper (and several other 'tropical' fish).

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                      Depends on where you're getting the fish and chips. I've had loads of it here in the States that Brit friends said was pretty similar to what they had back home. (Then again, I have an inordinate fondness for UK-style pubs serving fairly authentic food, which fortunately I've been able to find in most places I've lived in my adulthood. At this point I don't think I'd want to live someplace where I didn't have at least one or two of them around.)
                      I've had the misfortune of living places that DON'T have UK-style pubs. The last town I lived in had an Irish pub with excellent dishes... but where I live now is rather...limited.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Cleveland actually has a lot of good pubs. Just within a 20-minute drive of my house I can count at least five or six places where I can get a proper pint and a good dinner of fish and chips. And that's just counting the near side of downtown, my own inner-ring suburb, and the two suburbs neighboring it.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

In South Carolina they steam them in the shell...so the texture is not slimy, but still kind of rubbery. I ate those and would again deliberately. I can't say I have any desire to eat them uncooked. I like salmon, tuna, and grouper (and several other 'tropical' fish).

I've had the misfortune of living places that DON'T have UK-style pubs. The last town I lived in had an Irish pub with excellent dishes... but where I live now is rather...limited.
                          Boston has quite a few Irish pubs scattered about, particularly in South Boston. You could always try here
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                            Boston has quite a few Irish pubs scattered about, particularly in South Boston. You could always try here
                            Ummm...the time and gas money investment would be outrageous!...but thanks for the invite. If I make it to Boston someday (in the Fall of course)...I'll find one of those.
                            sigpic
                            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                              Isn't that where they 'filmed' Cheers?
                              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

It's Friday!

Next week is exam week for my students, then four days of end of school stuff and then two months off!

Come and celebrate!
                                Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Working...
                                X