No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mean to start a religious vein of conversation here, but do you have some good info links on Yule? My only knowledge of it comes from a vague history lesson of the annual Yule log that some cultures bring in one night a year (for the solstice, if I remember correctly, to keep light in the home during the longest night of the year).

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
      Meh, these forum interactions can go off the rails over nearly anything, can't they?

I just know I've met people who would be offended by mashing together Christmas ("What? You didn't even finish the word, and how dare you put Christ's birth together with two lesser holidays celebrated by Jews and blacks, of all people?!"), Hanukkah ("Oh, sure, the only time a goy even so much as mentions a Jewish holiday is if they're looking for a laugh. Oy vey.") and Kwanzaa ("Third in a line of three? Dammit, after all this time we're still stuck in the back of the bus?!")

Ack.

If I wanted to look for reasons to take offense, I could point out that my own tradition's holiday (Yule) wasn't even mentioned, at least not until I brought it up myself. But, well, I'd rather just enjoy a good chuckle, some good cheer, and avoid the whole doggone hassle.

*With that, SF&C sets out mulled wine and glogg in their own crockpots, polishes the glass mugs, lays a tray of fruitcake and cookies nearby, and stokes the fire -- but ONLY the one burning merrily in the hearth*
      Some people are just easily offended.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
        I don't mean to start a religious vein of conversation here, but do you have some good info links on Yule? My only knowledge of it comes from a vague history lesson of the annual Yule log that some cultures bring in one night a year (for the solstice, if I remember correctly, to keep light in the home during the longest night of the year).
        *rummages around on Google and in her bookmarks*

Well, Yule is originally the midwinter celebration of Northern European paganism, especially Norse/Germanic paganism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/yule...le_History.htm - covers a variety of modern interpretations of the holiday

I can probably find more if you need them.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          Some people are just easily offended.
          Wanna know what easily offends me? My biggest pet peeve in reading/writing: "definitely" being spelled as "defiantly".

It happens all the time, and it bugs me because they're both real words, so I always end up doing a double-take to figure out which one they really meant. And it's almost always "definitely". I can't even remember the last time someone used "defiantly" in a fic and actually meant it.

What are some other ones that you all have run into?

Comment

*rummages around on Google and in her bookmarks*

Well, Yule is originally the midwinter celebration of Northern European paganism, especially Norse/Germanic paganism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/yule...le_History.htm - covers a variety of modern interpretations of the holiday

I can probably find more if you need them.
            Oh good, it is Paganism. I was going to mention it, but erred on the side of caution. *clickies*

Comment

Wanna know what easily offends me? My biggest pet peeve in reading/writing: "definitely" being spelled as "defiantly".

It happens all the time, and it bugs me because they're both real words, so I always end up doing a double-take to figure out which one they really meant. And it's almost always "definitely". I can't even remember the last time someone used "defiantly" in a fic and actually meant it.

Well, "definately" springs to mind.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Oh, the pet peeves thread is already full with things that bother me, definitely/defiantly definitely being one of them. Such wrong spellings are especially confusing for those whose native language isn't English, as it completely changes the context. Same with it's/its etc.
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Happy solstice!
                  If I wanted to look for reasons to take offense, I could point out that my own tradition's holiday (Yule) wasn't even mentioned, at least not until I brought it up myself.
                  Err... hello! *points up* Must have missed my earlier post then...
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

One of those Yule links mentioned it was a Sun Holiday. Does that mean there are Moon Holidays too?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Err... hello! *points up* Must have missed my earlier post then...
                      Oops. I guess I was looking for the name. Either way, thanks!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

One of those Yule links mentioned it was a Sun Holiday. Does that mean there are Moon Holidays too?
                        Well, yes and no. Yule being a Sun holiday refers to its being viewed as the "return" of the sun in the sense of the nights becoming progressively shorter (and thus the days) longer after Yule.

The moon has bearing on other pagan holy days in a variety of traditions... Neopagan and Wiccan sabbats and esbats, for example.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Greetings and Salutations to all.

Well at least the hours of daylight will be getting longer after today, or was that yesterday...?
                          All these festivals get me confused.

:: Admires the fire ::
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                            Greetings and Salutations to all.

Well at least the hours of daylight will be getting longer after today, or was that yesterday...?
                            All these festivals get me confused.

:: Admires the fire ::
                            Yes, this is true, though last night was freezing!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Woke up to 66F inside my house today! **sings "it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas"**
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

It's not nearly as cold as it should be for this time of year and it's bloody raining on top... I hate not having snow now. IT's BLOODY WINTER!! Stupid weather - please act accordingly.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X