No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All right, what I learned was to use "Style Sheets"--pages on which to keep the spelling of names & ages of characters, where the murder took place, how to spell the name of the planet/town/technology, idioms used, etc. This first one is a very simple one. All are created AS you write, so this is good for pantsters as well as plotters.

The second sheet is a chapter overview--whose POV each chapter is in and the main plot points (a couple of sentences) of each chapter, with scene breaks as necessary.

Next is a project notebook--yes, on paper, in a spiral notebook. This is just for brainstorming and since it's so mobile, you can write down ideas as they come to you. This is not for writing out the scene in detail, but for ideas, like I said. (Ex: A is murdered, but the body is unmarked. B finds a clue. What is that clue? Research ways to murder someone without leaving obvious evidence.) It's not the most creative example, but it's been a long day and it's late and you get the idea. I hope. Used for brainstorming/daydreaming/whatever else you want to call it.

Next is a 3 ring binder for more detailed notes. This is for if you're writing about something you are unfamiliar with (a medical mystery, but you're not a doctor, for example) or if you're writing a series. This is where you will have more detailed descriptions--and pictures if you like--of your characters. This is where you will describe how FTL works or sketch pictures of your space ship or the town or the home of the main character or whatever. This is where you can keep pictures of your location, if applicable. The binder should be divided with the tabbed dividers into your different sections--characters, setting, technology, clothing, language, etc. Any articles that would relate to your work get stored here.

I really found this to be an awesome chat. My muse has been stalled for many weeks with both my original and my fan fic WIP (frankly, I think she's tuckered out from all the activity of moving and end of school and such). When I get some time to drag out my spiral notebook or do some research, I think this will help me to get organized, which will help my story really begin to flow. I've used a shorter version of this before--a time sheet with spelling of names and Irish words/phrases in my Robin Hood BBC "Thieves" series (my OCs were both Irish and would often squabble or curse at each other in Irish, a language I would love to learn but don't know). Also on the notes page would be plot points as I got ideas for them. I really like the idea of the 3 ring binder with all the details, including articles.
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Sounds pretty much like how I use OneNote. Only it's more compact and on the computer.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

This conversation has me kind of giggling. For the most part, I just write.

The only time I used something help organize was with Strangers on a Train, in which I used a White Board to see which order of chapters I preferred. I also used said white board to map out my action sequence. It had Xs and Os and was beautiful.

Comment

I think the notes and outlines are probably a lot more necessary for those who write long stories, or those who write series (or both, as I do).

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
          sigpic
          now also appearing on DeviantArt
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I started out just writing too for my first fic but notes quickly accumulated at the bottom of my master document (like ages and looks for OCs) and I'd often leave a few notes for future chapters whenever I had to close the doc. That quickly escalated to a load of info at the bottom, meaning I couldn't even read what I was writing if I'd scrolled down to the bottom of the document. That fic became a monster that took on a life of its own because I was writing on the fly, without any real guidelines and using too many subplots.

I learned from that and started planning a bit better but still at the bottom of my doc when I moved onto my next fic. Then a few times an internet connection or website I needed was unavailable, meaning I couldn't look up some of the basics. So I started to make copies of basics, like the character pages of the lexicon and character-specific injury and accomplishments lists into a separate document (on computer and flash drive) and adding my own notes.

Then there were military basics I needed to have on hand, like ranks, retirement/resignation/promotions (TIS&TIG), frat regs, outfit regs, pay, awards and medals. That was quickly followed by other stuff I could easily use for future fics as well, such as pregnancy/child development (for when there are babies/toddlers involved) but also city and weather data for the places in the US I'd use and Goa'uld names for alien technology. Jaffa, planet and SGC personnel databases were very handy as well as lockdown codes and medical protocols I'd come up with for one story... So basically my fanfic folder just kept on growing!

Since I usually try to stick to one fic at the time to prevent myself from straying and ending up with WIPs, I started making notes for new ideas. Most are quick and short and on post-its stuck on the wall next to my monitor but eventually those fall down, fade or disappear underneath new ones and I'd start exploring more of them. So I would create a doc for the fic and made further notes there. But at one point I'd have so many documents, PDFs, browser tabs and other program open when working on one fic (especially frustrating when I was working on my netbook) that I decided I needed a better solution.

I was told about OneNote and quickly started moving essential stuff from docs, PDFs and websites into their own notebooks, neatly organized in sections, pages and subpages! Story ideas quickly followed and by the time I had decided (my previous fic; 37 chaps, ~230K words) TCD was going to be my next project I started using OneNote in earnest and built up a notebook from scratch. First it was just a section for the plot, with header info, characters and eventually an entire timeline with points/arguments/outlines per chapter because I wanted to plan it right since it was rather complicated. Then there were more brainstorm chat sessions that got their own section, divided per subject in (sub)pages, the "Continuum" transcript was added in whole as well as divided into specific scenes (easier to look up), timeline theories and my notes about them needed their own section, all the locations I was going to use became too much for just a page with subpages so they got moved etc etc. By the time I started actually writing I think the notebook had eight or ten sections but now that it's finished there are twelve.

During TCD I also wrote a few one-shots and ficlets, so I made a notebook for both; giving each one-shot/ficlet their own section and use the (sub)pages for plots, characters, events, time and ideas.

In short: I like to have things neatly organized!
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
              This conversation has me kind of giggling. For the most part, I just write.

The only time I used something help organize was with Strangers on a Train, in which I used a White Board to see which order of chapters I preferred. I also used said white board to map out my action sequence. It had Xs and Os and was beautiful.
              Congratulations! You obviously have the ability to keep track of multiple details without any tools. I, for one, am jealous. For me, it depends on what I write. If I'm writing a short story, I have no need of all of this. If I'm writing a one-shot fanfiction using all canon characters, I have no need of it, either; PWP—same. Like fems, I started out by “just writing”. Also like her, my stories began to grow. My one-shots became multi-chap and some multi-chaps blossomed into series or into one-shots that were little vignettes based on the novel. As SF_and_Coffee has pointed out, methods like this are helpful for those kinds of works. The woman who gave this chat is a multi-published author of series science fiction--even she admitted that without these tools, she would be lost.

For example, in my historical fics (Robin Hood BBC), I had to know timelines of actual historical events, currency, travel times and difficulties, the parts of a sword, how to use a sword, how to make bows and arrows and how to use the same, what a castle looked and felt like to live in, what foods were eaten and by whom (peasantry obviously got little to no meat and potatoes would have been an anachronism), what cloth was used to make clothing and what colors would have been available, what a healer would have used to treat various wounds, pregnancy and childbirth for the time, Irish phrases (my OCs were Irish), marriage customs, what implements were used in torture, etc. Even though I didn’t use every last detail that I had learned, I received compliments telling me how “real” the story felt. If I didn’t receive compliments, I would still want to write this way because that’s how I am. I honestly wish I had more notes from that time, since I would like to exchange elements to make the series into an original work.

In my original WIP, I am making up my own characters, some of whom may come along in later books if it becomes a series. I will need to keep track of ages, scars, quirks, etc for continuity’s sake. The story takes place in an alternate world, with different technology. Since some of the technology is available nowadays but just not used extensively, I am researching it, to read about how it’s used now and what some of the drawbacks are, as well as using my own imagination to extrapolate how it could be used in other ways. I am a visual person, so pictures help me to figure things out. I’m not a very good artist, but I did sketch out how my heroine’s house is laid out, since part of the story takes place there.

No one HAS to use any one method--if this seems silly to you, don't bother with it. For me, I need a tool like this. I like to add the small details that bring that touch of realism to ALL of my work, both fan fiction and original.
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I can now add wisdom teeth pulling to the list of "must write this as whump fic" ... outch...

I have a Sunday-inspired (SGA) bunny hopping around... I think I'm gonna feed it carrots over the weekend.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I can now add wisdom teeth pulling to the list of "must write this as whump fic" ... outch...

I have a Sunday-inspired (SGA) bunny hopping around... I think I'm gonna feed it carrots over the weekend.
                  **pats FH softly on the head** Having any teeth pulled is a horrible experience, especially if your dentist, like mine, is cheap on the ol' knock-out drops. Hope you feel better soon. Self-medication will help?
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm so glad I had to get some teeth pulled before I got my braces, meaning there's enough space for my wisdom teeth and thus they won't have to be pulled. Getting those four teeth pulled years ago was already soooo uncomfortable. Granted, the local anesthetic injection was the most painful but what gave me chills and goosebumps was the cracking sound as my dentist was trying to wiggle the tooth free and the force with which he did so.

My sister had to get one wisdom tooth removed last year because it wasn't coming straight up but pushing against her other teeth and had to get it done in the hospital by an orthodontic surgeon. It was very painful according to her and she seemed to be much more bothered by it than when I had to get those regular teeth pulled. Admittedly, her pain threshold leaves something to be desired (everything is always a big drama and very painful, although it's hardly ever serious - but I understand it's very painful for her) but I've heard similar stories from others.

Did you have to get all four pulled, Falcon Horus? And does that require (at least) two visits as well instead of taking 'em all out in one go because of the anesthetic and swelling?
                    On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                      I'm so glad I had to get some teeth pulled before I got my braces, meaning there's enough space for my wisdom teeth and thus they won't have to be pulled. Getting those four teeth pulled years ago was already soooo uncomfortable. Granted, the local anesthetic injection was the most painful but what gave me chills and goosebumps was the cracking sound as my dentist was trying to wiggle the tooth free and the force with which he did so.
                      OMG, I had the same experience and it was traumatic. I was 14 at the time, and was in the chair for over two hours. And then later on, after the braces were off and my teeth were all nice and straight, one of my top wisdom teeth came in at a weird angle, and the two bottom ones came in and crowded my nice straight bottom teeth so now they're crooked again (though to be fair, nowhere near as crooked as before). I need to have my remaining top wisdom tooth removed, and my bottom teeth are just going to have to stay the way they are because I'm through screwing around with orthodontia and whatnot unless I have to. Argh.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Oh, and I was giggling not because you have to use notes and such and you guys don't... But because there's a very narrow niche of people in which we can have nerdfests over our style of organization.

We're so awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

*gives Lemming enough chocolate to meet the zit requirements for the next 4 million years or next ice age, whichever comes first.* FEED IT Feed the bunny feed the bunny!!!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                            Did you have to get all four pulled, Falcon Horus? And does that require (at least) two visits as well instead of taking 'em all out in one go because of the anesthetic and swelling?
                            Even though this is not directed at me I will say that personally yes I went in two visits, a week apart, the numbing was not the painful part, nor was the removeal, it was the recovering that hurt {couldn't eat ANYTHING in terms of meat or favorte breads for SIX WEEKS}

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                              Oh, and I was giggling not because you have to use notes and such and you guys don't... But because there's a very narrow niche of people in which we can have nerdfests over our style of organization.

We're so awesome.
                              You know what? We ARE.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                                You know what? We ARE.
                                Imagine the Farmers theme song, youk now the one "we are FARMERS bum babumbumbum!" instead change it to "We are WRITERS bumbabumbumbum!"

Comment

Working...
                                X