No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid I usually drank my tea with milk and sugar, mostly because it was too warm and bitter but I slowly grow out of the milk and ditched the sugar a couple of years ago. I hardly know anyone who stills drinks their tea with milk...

The peanut butter and cucumber is a very nice combination because of the freshness of the cucumber. But that's probably also because of the peanut butter's structure here... It's very tasty, just like cucumber with your peanut/satay sauce (although wikipedia makes it sound as if Americans don't eat/have that). I'm not very fond of peanut butter with banana slices, but I've tried it once or twice.

SaraBahama, did you use the quote button or did you type the quote yourself? Because SF_and_Coffee's capitalization is messed up...

Oh and I'm not sure what kinds of (American) peanut butter I've had... although I recently had the Reese chocolate thingies with peanut butter in them and that kind I don't like very much.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
      When I was a kid I usually drank my tea with milk and sugar, mostly because it was too warm and bitter but I slowly grow out of the milk and ditched the sugar a couple of years ago. I hardly know anyone who stills drinks their tea with milk...

The peanut butter and cucumber is a very nice combination because of the freshness of the cucumber. But that's probably also because of the peanut butter's structure here... It's very tasty, just like cucumber with your peanut/satay sauce (although wikipedia makes it sound as if Americans don't eat/have that). I'm not very fond of peanut butter with banana slices, but I've tried it once or twice.

SaraBahama, did you use the quote button or did you type the quote yourself? Because SF_and_Coffee's capitalization is messed up...

Oh and I'm not sure what kinds of (American) peanut butter I've had... although I recently had the Reese chocolate thingies with peanut butter in them and that kind I don't like very much.
      I used the quote button...hmm...that's interesting -I didn't notice the capitalization was off...odd.

The peanut butter in a Reese cup has added confectioner's sugar to make it sweeter since it's a candy bar. I don't eat very many Reese cups because they ARE so sweet. I'm more of a pure chocolate person when going for sweets.

The jars of peanut butter are not nearly THAT sweet in the USA, though as SF&Coffee mentioned, there is wide variety amongst the manufacturers. I'm currently stuck on the JIF brand 'natural' peanut butter, which is not as sweet as Peter Pan brand (my previous favorite).

I've never had satay sauce, but that doesn't mean it's unavailable -SF? Have you ever had it?
      sigpic
      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I have satay sauce in my kitchen right now. Have to purchase it in the Asian foods aisle at my grocery store, but we can get it easily enough.

I, too, prefer the natural peanut butters rather than the highly-sweetened ones. What you find in a Reese's cup (and I do like them) is very unlike what we buy in a jar to use in sandwiches, both in texture and in flavor.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

reese's are the best candy out there
          sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ussthor

Comment

I'm not overly fond of stuff in my chocolate, be it coconut or peanut butter.
            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Hey! MP! So missed you...

*pulls up a chair for MP beside the watercooler*
              sigpic
              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Thanks.

It's been busy. I haven't done any writing for months, but with a little challenge at the Highlander board, I'm trying to get back into it.

Comment

Well, I seem to have worked myself into a corner, I have two characters in a warehouse, and I want to do a jackie chan style fight, there's all sorts of stuff in the warehouse {its 1300q meters in total size, spread over four floors} Only problem how does one write such a martial battle ?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                  "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                  "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                    Well, I seem to have worked myself into a corner, I have two characters in a warehouse, and I want to do a jackie chan style fight, there's all sorts of stuff in the warehouse {its 1300q meters in total size, spread over four floors} Only problem how does one write such a martial battle ?
                    Battles are about internalization. They are about expression from both sides where every action changes the playing field. Special effects don't really work in a purely text medium and at best you have the fight from the Princess Bride book, which was a parody of a long-winded battle.

Why are they fighting? What jokes are used? What is the purpose of them? What is the result of the fight?
                    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                      Battles are about internalization. They are about expression from both sides where every action changes the playing field. Special effects don't really work in a purely text medium and at best you have the fight from the Princess Bride book, which was a parody of a long-winded battle.

Why are they fighting? What jokes are used? What is the purpose of them? What is the result of the fight?
                      This is a martial arts type battle and two characters are lured into a warehouse and have ot fight their way out, anything and everything is a weapon though at this point, I'm thinknig the warehouse fight in Rumble in the Bronx is a good one to try and replicate, only instead of one man vs dozens it is a man and woman vs dozens.

There is some humor, in the sense of dirty fighting, people getting thrown, and people also complaining as well, which also makes it silly too

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                        This is a martial arts type battle and two characters are lured into a warehouse and have ot fight their way out, anything and everything is a weapon though at this point, I'm thinknig the warehouse fight in Rumble in the Bronx is a good one to try and replicate, only instead of one man vs dozens it is a man and woman vs dozens.

There is some humor, in the sense of dirty fighting, people getting thrown, and people also complaining as well, which also makes it silly too
                        As long as each move changes the situation and and the jokes have purpose, you should be fine.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Battles are hard to write. You have to not only describe the action, you have to intersperse with dialogue, whether internal or external and WraithRichard said. If there are multiple characters, you have to have a good way to transition from one to another. And yes, you have to make sure you are moving the plot along as well.

Good Luck!

Comment

Battles are fairly easy to write, you just need to prepare them a little.

Martial arts scenes in the movies are basically ballet, so choreography is key. Map out the setting of your warehouse, place some triggers around. Think of what kind of improvised weapons could be lying around- mop handles, buckets, fire axes, wood planks, chairs, rope, etc. If you want some extra humor, make these improvised weapons wildly inappropriate. Bondage gear from a crate intended for a sex shop, frozen fish, absurdly expensive alcohol (shattering a bottle of fine twenty years old scotch over someone's skull can be grounds for some amusing comments), etc. Could be rather funny to have someone fight off enemies with a hard-cover edition of a biography of Gandhi, perhaps. Someone could find a sweet death under a half-ton sack of sugar. Place some obstacles, like pallets of stuff, that could split the enemies up, create choke points etc. Perhaps your characters had the time to set some basic traps? (No complex Rambo-style ones, but maybe piano wire at throat level, maybe a rope they could pull to drop an avalanche of heavy boxes onto the enemies' heads). If you need ideas, try rewatching some episodes of Martial Law; it's an old series that was entirely based around a Chinese detective with an amusing knack for using improvised weapons in his kung fu. (Up to and including a saguaro cactus).

As the fight progresses, you could escalate the environmental challenge. If a fire starts, that puts both the protagonists and the enemies on the clock- they need to GET OUT while they still can. If a gas leak was triggered, fighting with metal implements which can set off sparks can become impossible, and then you could have a somewhat awkward scene when both the good guys and the bad guys pause to frantically search for "safe" weapons. Etc.

Think of your characters' tactics. The protagonists, few against many, would want to use the environment to separate their enemies into manageable-size groups, confront them at choke points that nullify superior numbers because only one person can engage the opponent at a time, lure them into traps. The bad guys would attempt to do the exact opposite- they would try to work in groups, methodically herding their prey into open areas where they can be encircled, entangling them in a protracted fight until reinforcements arrive or baiting them with an illusion of opening in their defenses that could allow the good guys to rush for the exit- right into a trap.
                            Last edited by Womble; 20 October 2011, 01:03 AM.
                            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Think of the readers too, though. Why would they be interested in each move? Why would it keep their interest? What do they get out of the move-tone, atmosphere, a laugh, sadness?

Comment

Muse is a heartless tease.

She grants me decent inspiration for a scene or two (like a paragraph here and there on 5 different, unrelated stories), making me wonder where THAT came from, then abandons me when it comes to the details of producing an entire story...
                                sigpic
                                sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X