Jack/Sam Fic Recs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    (i put that pic link on twitter and it's stubbornly sticking)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10289170/1/Consequences
    Success!
    Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Sorry, not for me. Sam is way too OOC in it. Wrestled through the first four chapters last night but gave up because I only got annoyed and frustrated with the story.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I gave it a shot, hoping it would get better. There is definitely OOC-ness, and it seemed like her timeline is off (as far as the ages of SG-1 in relation to the subject matter). I applaud the idea, though.

Comment

Yeah, I started reading it and agree there's a heavy shot of OOC. I'm at least intrigued enough to follow along a little more as I really haven't ever seen this story line.

Comment

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
            Yeah, I started reading it and agree there's a heavy shot of OOC. I'm at least intrigued enough to follow along a little more as I really haven't ever seen this story line.
            Sometimes a storyline is interesting enough to make us forgive a less-than-stellar execution. Some of the fics I like, in several fandoms, have a little ooc-ness, but the story is good enough to make forget that.

Comment

I think the author wanted to write a story about HIV and picked SG1 (and particularly, Sam) as the vehicle for doing so. She's apparently done a lot of research into the subject and how people would react (both the person with HIV and the friends and family of that person). I also notice that this is the only story she's written for SG1, so maybe she's not as familiar with the characters as other writers are, given the OOC-ness of some of them. Or, in having them behave in an OOC manner, she's merely using SG1 to show how real people would behave and react to this disease. I don't know if I want her to find an easy way out (like a Tok'ra symbiote or Thor showing up and being able to help) for Sam or continue to show what it would be like to live with it.

Comment

Hi all, I've just finished reading xanadu by spiletta and loved it, and I was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of more stories similar to it. I have read the stories in the alien influence list on here, so Im really hoping there are more out there.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  I think the author wanted to write a story about HIV and picked SG1 (and particularly, Sam) as the vehicle for doing so. She's apparently done a lot of research into the subject and how people would react (both the person with HIV and the friends and family of that person). I also notice that this is the only story she's written for SG1, so maybe she's not as familiar with the characters as other writers are, given the OOC-ness of some of them. Or, in having them behave in an OOC manner, she's merely using SG1 to show how real people would behave and react to this disease. I don't know if I want her to find an easy way out (like a Tok'ra symbiote or Thor showing up and being able to help) for Sam or continue to show what it would be like to live with it.
                  I agree with what you've said. I wonder if it might not have been better for her to have done something else for her first SG-1 story, and do this story with one of the fandoms that she's more familiar with.
                  I do appreciate her tackling the subject matter, though.

Comment

Me too. I think she's right - most people misunderstand HIV so much. It's not nearly as scary now as it was 20 years ago. But we're still not really teaching people about how the disease transmits and what life looks like after you have it. (In my opinion, HIV education looks and acts a lot like sex education just instead of abstinence we're teaching YOU WILL GET IT if you sleep with someone who has it. It's so much more complex than that...)

Anyway, I do feel like a really good plot line has been shoe horned into this fandom, but as I said before, I'm intrigued enough to keep following along for at least a while longer.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks welsh lady View Post
                      Hi all, I've just finished reading xanadu by spiletta and loved it, and I was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of more stories similar to it. I have read the stories in the alien influence list on here, so Im really hoping there are more out there.
                      if I remember right, there's a sequel to that fic.
                      sigpic
                      My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by jacks welsh lady View Post
                        Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                        if I remember right, there's a sequel to that fic.
                        The sequel is called Return to Xanadu and is more Daniel/Vala centric but there is a lot of blatant S/J going on If you like D/V and you enjoyed Xanadu, you'll like this one too!
                        sigpic

----------
                        FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

I'll admit, I was always a little disappointed by Xanadu

Comment

This one kind of falls into the alien influence and/or medical (sub)plot categories. It SG-1 plus Jacob/Selmak.

Traditions by Critterkid
                            "SG-1 falls prey to past traditions. Can they save themselves or will help come from an unexpected source?"
                            sigpic

----------
                            FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
                              Originally posted by Arashi View Post
                              Sometimes a storyline is interesting enough to make us forgive a less-than-stellar execution. Some of the fics I like, in several fandoms, have a little ooc-ness, but the story is good enough to make forget that.
                              For me, that wasn't the case with this fic. I also don't feel like the author did enough research on the subject:

Spoiler:
                              A doctor would never tell the results over the phone (SOP is to go to the doctor's office to get the results regardless of whether you've positive or negative - and they tell you this beforehand - so you don't think you've got it if they won't tell you over the phone and ask you to come in), especially not if the patient tested positive! Also, I'm pretty sure they put people on meds already when they suspect someone is infected and Sam should have contacted the doctor the moment she heard the guy tested positive. Also, there should have been more focus on the medical side of it once she got the results.

But, I could overlook all of that except that SAM BLATANTLY DISREGARDED THE SAFETY OF HER TEAM AND THE WHOLE F'ING GALAXY BY GOING OFF-WORLD KNOWING SHE WAS HIV POSITIVE! What if she'd been attacked and someone on her team (or perhaps worse, some natives) got infected through blood contact? Or gotten injured by tripping over her own feet because she was so damn distracted by her condition? Not to mention she could have been sexually assaulted by someone, thereby possibly spreading the disease to another planet.

Oh and I think Sam would feel obligated to inform the USAF or at the very least the CMO, knowing the ramifications.

Anyway, I just couldn't read anymore. Besides, I don't want to read about STDs when I'm reading fanfic. A reference here and there to Brief Candle should suffice in my opinion, considering aging rapidly until you nearly fall apart should be enough to make anyone think twice about having (unprotected) sex again.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

thanks for the recs all. not a huge fan of d/v but if it has J/s in it then I'll give it a read.
                                Nynaeve506 I know right? so much tease lol.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X