Jack/Sam Fic Recs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
    There is completed S/J fic on ff.net with a total of 313 chapters broken into one 292 chapter fic and a 21 chapter continuation. I mean the internal chapter numbering of the continuation literally picks up where the first one ended.

The fics are Chicken Pox! and Chicken Pox continuation.
    Oh, I see. I've come across that one, saved it but didn't read it yet because of the sheer number of chapters!
    Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
      Oh, I see. I've come across that one, saved it but didn't read it yet because of the sheer number of chapters!
      It's extremely badly written. Tried to get started last night but had to give up because of the numerous missing words, spelling/grammar errors and plain nonsense that is written. At least once a chapter you'll go 'huh?' and come to the conclusion they probably meant "didn't"/"can't"/"couldn't"/"wouldn't" rather than "did"/"can"/"could"/"would", there's hardly any showing (only telling) and it gives you a headache trying to figure out what the author was actually trying to say rather than what they actually wrote. Oh and in my opinion they're extremely out of character and there is no lead-up to the S/J romance, it's just BAM! there.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        It's extremely badly written. Tried to get started last night but had to give up because of the numerous missing words, spelling/grammar errors and plain nonsense that is written. At least once a chapter you'll go 'huh?' and come to the conclusion they probably meant "didn't"/"can't"/"couldn't"/"wouldn't" rather than "did"/"can"/"could"/"would", there's hardly any showing (only telling) and it gives you a headache trying to figure out what the author was actually trying to say rather than what they actually wrote. Oh and in my opinion they're extremely out of character and there is no lead-up to the S/J romance, it's just BAM! there.
        *sigh* I was hoping to get started on it soon.
        Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

There was one, can't recall the title, that dragged on and on and on, so many chapters that ff.net cut it off and made them end.

GENERALLY speaking, I tend to find those that drag on to be just writing for reviews, where they have no real story to tell, they're just sticking stuff up there to fill up pages and get reviews.

Inspiration does strike and stories can take on a life of their own, but endless wip's are really nothing more than something to be avoided, in my experience anyway.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I tried reading it a long time ago and gave up for the same reasons you cite.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              I tried reading it a long time ago and gave up for the same reasons you cite.
              Likewise. I found the straight dialogue a little disconcerting... Usually you see stories that are straight exposition, and that hurts the brain quite enough, but the straight dialogue, I think, was worse.
              Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Just added a season 6 fic list here, please let me know if anyone has any fics that take place during this season so I can start filling it in I'm also working on making another list for seasons 7, 9, and 10. Does anyone want to make a pre series or post series list?
                sigpic

Comment

Pre-series are also included in alternate realities in the AU fic list, since Sam and Jack haven't met prior to the pilot in the show and thus that makes such fics take place in an alternate reality. They do not, however, have their own list but fall under regular AR fics and have a 'pre-series' note attached.
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I'm reading it out of curiosity mainly, but the first thing I've picked up on is the chicken pox bit, wouldn't it be shingles instead of chicken pox, in an adult who hasn't had chicken pox before that is. Also, has anyone read the whole thing, because as much as I like multi chaptered fics, it can't be all about the chicken pox can it.
                    sigpic
                    McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
                    Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
                    ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki Alexander View Post
                      I'm reading it out of curiosity mainly, but the first thing I've picked up on is the chicken pox bit, wouldn't it be shingles instead of chicken pox, in an adult who hasn't had chicken pox before that is. Also, has anyone read the whole thing, because as much as I like multi chaptered fics, it can't be all about the chicken pox can it.
                      I never made it past the Chicken Pox (though I did, I hate to say) make it to the end of the pox and then Thor showed up... ::sigh::

I think adults can get Chicken Pox. As I understand it shingles are systemic and you get those as an adult when you've had the pox as a kid. But I could be so, so wrong.
                      Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Adults can get chicken pox. Once you get it the virus is in your system and, as an adult, can manifest itself as Shingles.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yes, the virus that causes chicken pox can become latent for years and then manifest itself as shingles in adulthood if it spreads through ganglia along nerves and infect the skin supplied by spinal nerves. That's why it often looks like a band or even shaped similar to a seat belt when it presents itself on the torso.

ETA:
                          I managed to struggle through chapter 60 or so, around the time Sam had gotten the chicken pox and got over them. I had a strange fascination with the story that made me keep going (it helped that the chapters are very short), like watching a train wreck; you just can't look away no matter how awful. Anyway, at that point it seemed like the author had already lost the plot a handful of times and it was bedtime for me, so I finally managed to close the window
                          On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Fems, I need that same kind of dedication!

Edit: Since we were talking about long stories, I initially assumed that the story was 'Stitches' (if I didn't get the title wrong), an AU where Jack learns to knit. That's quite a fun one, I think.
                            Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
                              Fems, I need that same kind of dedication!

Edit: Since we were talking about long stories, I initially assumed that the story was 'Stitches' (if I didn't get the title wrong), an AU where Jack learns to knit. That's quite a fun one, I think.
                              I read the chapter that corresponds to 'The Light' and enjoyed it -but it is episodic chapters that are more akin to Pol's 'Campfire' series. Those don't feel like and endless WIP because each chapter is somewhat self-contained. I really need to read the rest of the chapters...but I MUST WRITE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              sigpic
                              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                                I read the chapter that corresponds to 'The Light' and enjoyed it -but it is episodic chapters that are more akin to Pol's 'Campfire' series. Those don't feel like and endless WIP because each chapter is somewhat self-contained. I really need to read the rest of the chapters...but I MUST WRITE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                Oh, you need to read those! They're so funny and so shippy especially towards the end!
                                Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X