This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daydreamer
    Hi, I am new to your thread, in fact I am new to any thread at this point. I have never written a fanfic before but have been enjoying the S/J fics through e-mail subscription for quite some time now. I have been conjouring up so many senarios in my mind about S/J's first REAL kiss over the last couple of years that I knew I would have to put it down in words eventually.

I finally got brave enough to do that and now and have about a 7 page J/S fanfic written. I am wondering if anyone can recommend how I can find what I understand to be a "beta reader"? I have absolutely NO IDEA what all this involves and I'm afraid I have NO CLUE of what the accepted or non accepted "protocol" of the process is.

I still have to weed through it and determine the Seasons involved, I think, and I'm not even sure how far to go with that. I could really use some good advise.

Am I at the right place? Thanks!
    Yes, you are. Welcome to GateWorld, and congratulations on your first fanfic! A beta reader is basically a proofreader – he/she looks at spelling, grammar, characterization, plot holes, etc. Check out this thread to find one.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by CeeKay Sheppard
      Yes, you are. Welcome to GateWorld, and congratulations on your first fanfic! A beta reader is basically a proofreader – he/she looks at spelling, grammar, characterization, plot holes, etc. Check out this thread to find one.
      Thank you so much! I feel like I'm being transferred from department to department on the phone cause I was recommended to this thread from another thread. Hee! Hee! But, Hey! I really don't mind! It's OK! Ya'll seem really nice and I soooo appreciate your help!! (in the Arnold Swarzneggar (sp?) tone... "I'll be back!)
      Daydreamer

Comment

Hi - Does anyone know what the guards at the check-in level of the Mountain would be? MPs? SFs? And I know that MP stands for military police, but what does SF mean?

Thanks!
        sigpic
        Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

it's my understanding that SF = Special Forces and are the air force equivalent of MP's

it's very possible that the guys at the surface have no idea what's going on below them. just that they have protocols to follow, lists to read and a perimeter to maintain.

they probably don't know what's under them, just that very few folks are allowed access
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            it's my understanding that SF = Special Forces and are the air force equivalent of MP's
            I believe it's Security Forces, but otherwise, yeah.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

ah, security. that makes sense.

sorry, the caffeine hadn't kicked in yet

i'm thinking the average guard at the top doesn't know much beyond having a list of who is/is not allowed into the mountain and a number to call if something happens that he's not sure about (like they did in hathor. got a visitor at the surface, couldn't get her to go away and she knew about the gate....dont' try to handle it, call someone else and hand it off to them)

sigpic

Comment

Thank you both!
                sigpic
                Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

hi there is there any posiblity that some one could look over my latest work for me pleaz its only on chapter and is on gust over a page long pleaz pleaz pleaz
                  the best formular
                  (+)x(+)=
                  proud member of ship ship hooray special Ops team

Comment

Strictly speaking, Military Police are Army, Air Police are Air Force, and Shore Patrol are US Navy and USMC.
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by true_romance
                      hi there is there any posiblity that some one could look over my latest work for me pleaz its only on chapter and is on gust over a page long pleaz pleaz pleaz
                      if no one's offered, send it on over to me

sigpic

Comment

HELP!

I need a Beta! I just need someone to look over my chapters correct their punctuation, grammar, and spelling then to tell me what they thought of it over all. I'd prefer someone experienced with Betaing because I'm quite new to fanfic.

PM me if you're interested.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                        Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                          HELP!

I need a Beta! I just need someone to look over my chapters correct their punctuation, grammar, and spelling then to tell me what they thought of it over all. I'd prefer someone experienced with Betaing because I'm quite new to fanfic.

PM me if you're interested.
                          send it over to me I'll do it.

if yes, then send it to [email protected]

Comment

Ok I also need a little help... wel it is more a question about fanfiction.net but I really don't know how I can solve it so... here goes...
                            wel if I made a summary but I made a mistake in it... now I corrected it but... it still is wrong on the summary when you want to read my story... How can I solve that?

Comment

If you are seeing the worng summary on your profile page as well as the first page of ff.net, then you gotta wait at least 24 hrs before the changes could take place, but they can also get changed eariler if there is less traffic at the section of Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverRider
                                If you are seeing the worng summary on your profile page as well as the first page of ff.net, then you gotta wait at least 24 hrs before the changes could take place, but they can also get changed eariler if there is less traffic at the section of Stargate.
                                ow ok but in my pagin where I log in and can edit the story... it is correct but not on the page where the people read the story but... I just will wait 24 hours and than look again
                                thanx anyway

Comment

Working...
                                X