This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
    I just tried posting my first *bit of a* story on fan fiction.
    But I am not sure if I did it right.
    How do you get it into which catergory that it is supposed to go?
    Any advice for a newbie?
    Want us to look at it and advise? Throw the link up here and we will do our best to help!
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

http://www.fanfiction.net/~theflyattractor If it is there. I should have a profile or what ever under The Flyattractor.
      It says I have a forum or whatever,but I can't tell if the story has actually been "published" yet or not.
      I like Sharky
      sigpic

Comment

Once you login you should see links to upload and then publish your stories

First you upload them, then you publish. And when you publish ou have to agree to their ratings and terms of service each time.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Ok
          Then on the left side you will see the publish link
          You will upload your fic With the document manager
          Then click the new story link

sigpic

Comment

http://www.fanfiction.net/~theflyattractor If it is there. I should have a profile or what ever under The Flyattractor.
            It says I have a forum or whatever,but I can't tell if the story has actually been "published" yet or not.
            Nope -not published yet.

Go to the sidebar where it says "publish" and choose "Document manager (upload)".
            Then you will see the box in the middle of the screen that says "Upload New Document" -in that box is a button that says "browse" which will let you select the document from your hard drive to be uploaded. In the same box there is a bullet point that gives you the option of uploading as "story" or "DocX" it should be set to "story".
            Once successfully uploaded, the file should be listed under document manager and you can proceed to the next step, which is completing the publishing by going to "New Story" on the sidebar.

Following me so far? If you follow these steps to upload the document, and need me to help with the "new story" part...let me know. If there's not a document uploaded, then you can't publish. I upload each chapter as a seperate document, so if you have a long story this might work...but if it's small it is a moot point.
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Ok. I think I got it figured out. It should hopefully be showing up in a few hours according to the site.
              you didn't read all the instructions before you did this did you?!

Geh eh er YES I DID SO SHUT UP!

I hate my inner voice some time.

But big 10-Qs to Sky and Sara

*crawls back under the bed to end the day*.
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

Ok. I think I got it figured out. It should hopefully be showing up in a few hours according to the site.
                you didn't read all the instructions before you did this did you?!

Geh eh er YES I DID SO SHUT UP!

I hate my inner voice some time.

But big 10-Qs to Sky and Sara

*crawls back under the bed to end the day*.
                That's what we're here for!
                I published my first one in May, and it's more difficult the first time out than it seems.
                **I hope you have your pillow, blanket, mini-fridge and TV under that bed...
                sigpic
                sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                  I published my first one in May, and it's more difficult the first time out than it seems.
                  Dang it, now I feel the need to build a fort... and with all of my stacked, unpacked boxes it would be a good one too! hehe
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                    Yeah, I for one didn't know that you had to upload each chapter separately so I had uploaded my master document. And only when I'd done so did it say I had to upload the next chapter separately

I have to say I find the system a bit annoying, especially if you want to change something later on in your story and the chapter is already gone from your download manager. Then you have to re-upload it and insert all the missing scene breaks again before you can make the adjustments and replace the chapter. If it's just one chapter it's not that bad but when you are checking your stories for grammar and spelling again after a few months (or when you've completed it), it gets annoying, especially with 50/80 chapters. In that respect I prefer the system on Always&Forever, since you can just edit into the chapter and don't have to re-upload anything.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Fly--glad you got help. Like anything, it's not all that hard once you know what you're doing. As for reading directions, I don't remember if they even have any. The "help" link is useless. But ff.net is nice as a way to track readership.

Fems--what is Always & Forever? Is it another place to upload fan fic like AO3 (which I still haven't gotten to despite a free invite)?
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I think she's referring to sam an jack always and forever..maybe sam and jack.net

Good if your fic focuses on them. Not applicable if its about someone else.

sigpic

Comment

Yes, I was referring to the first one, Skydiver. It's such a long address and with similar sites (like samandjack.net) it's difficult to find a proper reference.

I've lurked a bit on AO3, by the way, but for some reason I can't really get used to it. And it's annoying to have to adjust the pairing every time, even though I bookmarked it with my preferences set. *Sigh*
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort View Post
                            Dang it, now I feel the need to build a fort... and with all of my stacked, unpacked boxes it would be a good one too! hehe
                            *looks around at her own stacks of boxes, both packed and unpacked*

Hmmm.....

If we both build forts, we can throw wads of wrapping paper at each other. It'll be like a snowball fight, minus the freezing weather.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                            sigpic
                            now also appearing on DeviantArt
                            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                              Yeah, I for one didn't know that you had to upload each chapter separately so I had uploaded my master document. And only when I'd done so did it say I had to upload the next chapter separately

I have to say I find the system a bit annoying, especially if you want to change something later on in your story and the chapter is already gone from your download manager. Then you have to re-upload it and insert all the missing scene breaks again before you can make the adjustments and replace the chapter.
                              Actually, you can go into the story manager and do an Export of whatever already-published chapter you need to change. That will bring the chapter, along with all of its FF.net-specific formatting, back into the Editing utility, where you can then insert, delete or otherwise edit whatever you need to in the document. When you finish doing that, simply do a Replace in the story manager to replace the originally-published version of that chapter with the new one. Easy-peasy!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                              sigpic
                              now also appearing on DeviantArt
                              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Ahh, thank you. I had no idea. Although that still requires re-editing the chapter docs and the master document, but I'm sure it'll come in handy.
                                On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X