Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say they catch a half dozen of the critters. Keep them in containment of some sort....critters gotta eat, someone gives one of them a rat...and the next day notices that the critter is growing a tail. mmhm, curious. But thinks it's normal until it's a week later and none of the other critters grow tails. Or one of them later eats a bird and presto, grows a beak and then has to puzzle out how identical critters all grow different parts.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

US military bases overseas (in the UK for example) are legally considered US territory, yes?
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
        US military bases overseas (in the UK for example) are legally considered US territory, yes?
        Depends on the treaty with the host nation.

This treaty is called the Status of Forces Agreement or SOFA. It spells out exactly how the US military personnel and their dependents are treated by the host nation.

The one example I am familiar with had the US bases NOT US territory but made the US command responsible for enforcing the host nation's law as well as US laws.

Also included in the SOFA is how crimes against the citizens of the host country committed by US personnel are handled. I most cases host nation law enforcement cannot just arrest the US soldier/sailor/marine/airman but have to apply that the US MPs to detain the person in question. The US also cannot just remove said person to the US.

The US tries its damnedest to see that US laws have primacy on the bases and that US personnel arrested for criminal acts against the host nation are given the fairest possible defense, given that ALL US military personnel ARE subject to the laws of the host nation.

All this I remember from legal primers broadcast over US military TV channels* over a decade ago in order to familiarize US personnel of what they can and cannot do as well their responsibilities as guests in a foreign country.

*All overseas US military facilities (that are large enough) have TV and radio stations that broadcast US sports, news, and entertainment are part of the Armed Forces Radio and Television Service (AFRTS) branded as the American Forces Network (AFN).
        Last edited by iiradned; 29 October 2014, 11:51 AM.
        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Hmm...What I had in mind was flying Dog the Bounty Hunter directly to a US base in the UK.

Apparently because he's a convicted felon, HMG won't allow him into the UK on a regular tourist visa.

So I'm trying to come up with a way around it.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Hmm...What I had in mind was flying Dog the Bounty Hunter directly to a US base in the UK.

Apparently because he's a convicted felon, HMG won't allow him into the UK on a regular tourist visa.

So I'm trying to come up with a way around it.
            Having Dog show up to go after a bounty is a NO GO. Bounty hunting is ILLEGAL EVERYWHERE except in the US. And bounty hunters can only go after their targets within the US. If the bail jumper leaves US territory the bounty hunter MUST stop.

Dog went after a high profile bounty in Mexico and after returning with his bounty to the US was eventually arrested by US Marshals in Hawaii on the charge of kidnapping in Mexico. The only reason he is not in a Mexican prison is the expiration of the statute of limitations.

Another bounty hunter pursued a bail jumper into Canada and transported him back to the US. The bounty hunter was tried and convicted for kidnapping in Canada.

Comment

Dog's not at the base in his official capacity, he and Beth are guests of the CO as part of a morale boost for the troops.
              sigpic

Comment

Dog's not at the base in his official capacity, he and Beth are guests of the CO as part of a morale boost for the troops.
                That shouldn't be a problem. They will probably be part of a USO organized event, and they will handle all the legalities of arranging the visit.

Comment

I am currently in the planning stages of a fic which involes a 'Cursed Beauty Salon'.
                  Is it too creepy to have the 'Salon' speak through the reflections of the clients/workers or is it just the right way?
                  "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                  Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                  Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                  Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                  I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                  To thy own self... Be true
                  May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Are there still such things as C-130 "Spectre" gunships?

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                    I am currently in the planning stages of a fic which involes a 'Cursed Beauty Salon'.
                    Is it too creepy to have the 'Salon' speak through the reflections of the clients/workers or is it just the right way?
                    Hmm... Part of me thinks it's a bit too much of a "Snow White" cliché. But I honestly can't think of any other method of having the "Salon" speak to people.
                    sigpic

Comment

Are there still such things as C-130 "Spectre" gunships?
                      There are a few left. Their job is increasingly being done by armed UAVs.

The US Marines do have a few armed new build C-130Js when equipped the Harvest Hawk package. Basically a series of modules the contain search and targeting sensors and armed with Hellfire missiles located in the outer underwing hardpoints and modified paratroop and cargo ramps for deploying the Griffin (a smaller, lighter version of the Hellfire) laser guided missile.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                        There are a few left. Their job is increasingly being done by armed UAVs.

The US Marines do have a few armed new build C-130Js when equipped the Harvest Hawk package. Basically a series of modules the contain search and targeting sensors and armed with Hellfire missiles located in the outer underwing hardpoints and modified paratroop and cargo ramps for deploying the Griffin (a smaller, lighter version of the Hellfire) laser guided missile.
                        Hmm, pity. I suppose an armed UAV would be a lot less conspicuous.
                        sigpic

Comment

The UAVs are smaller, too.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Would the following be an accurate description of Phil Coulson?

"A middle aged man of nondescript appearance, with a receding hairline, and an enigmatic air of amusement, as if he knew a great many secrets and wasn't going to share them."
                            sigpic

Comment

My sister's response: "That sounds like Phil."

Does that answer your question?
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                My sister's response: "That sounds like Phil."

Does that answer your question?
                                Just checking.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X