This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fems View Post
    I was talking about whether it works the same way as, say, hair or eye color or if it's different like being x-linked dominant or recessive.
    Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
    You can however have mutated forms of genes. The double-muscle mutation in humans is an example - mutations in one or both copies of the gene responsible for myostatin produces people with muscular hypertrophy.
    These are WAY above my pay grade!
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
      These are WAY above my pay grade!
      Well, my only genetics course was a science elective I took in community college... but I loved it. Fascinating stuff.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
        How instantaneous (or not) is Stargate travel?

I have in mind a scene where an SG team is in trouble on an alien planet. The 'gate is open, they're in radio contract with the SGC, but are under heavy fire and need a diversion to actually get through the 'gate.
        Back at the SGC, a character lobs a couple of flashbang grenades through the open gate to provide said distraction.

The question is, would the grenades detonate in transit?
        I was just going over Icon and thought this scene near the end might be of interest to you:

INT—SGC GATE ROOM
        [The SG teams run up the ramp, ready to go through the 'Gate.]
        [Teal'c and Carter pull pins from tear gas grenades and throw them through the wormhole.]

Looks like they're using a similar tactic as what you proposed for your fic and apparently it works, with the teargas not being released until the grenades are through the gate.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I was just going over Icon and thought this scene near the end might be of interest to you:

INT—SGC GATE ROOM
          [The SG teams run up the ramp, ready to go through the 'Gate.]
          [Teal'c and Carter pull pins from tear gas grenades and throw them through the wormhole.]

Looks like they're using a similar tactic as what you proposed for your fic and apparently it works, with the teargas not being released until the grenades are through the gate.
          Sounds good.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

If you think about the way that wormhole transit is said to work in-universe, it really wouldn't be possible for a grenade to explode in transit anyway. The sending gate transforms matter into energy, which is then transmitted to the receiving gate, and the receiving gate transforms it back into matter. A grenade that's being transmitted as energy wouldn't be in a state where it could explode.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki Alexander View Post
              I'm mainly curious really because John is a natural carrier but I always wondered whether his brother ever possessed the gene or not. But as there isn't all that much information about the ATA gene I'll probably make some slight changes and there'll probably be one or two things made up. But it's fanfiction so I guess we can stretch the truth a bit and make it fit.
              As a reader, the primary thing that matters to me is that your fanon doesn't contradict canon OR ITSELF. So, where the show doesn't give you the answers, and you have to 'make it up a bit,' just be consistent within your own story, and I think the readers will love it.

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
              It's possible to have a tidally-locked planet with a permanently light side and a permanently dark side. If you're talking about the planet in The Broca Divide, the darkness was in all likelihood the edge of the shadowed side while the Land of Light was the edge of the lighted side, with both actually existing in the narrow habitable ribbon around the terminator. Complicated? Sure, Impossible? No.
              I had to look up tidally-locked planets. *blush* But once I read it, I realized I knew what you were talking about.

The one thing that bugged me about the Land of Light was the foliage was inconsistent with either constant light or constant darkness: it did throw me out of the story and I had to forcibly apply my willing suspension of disbelief in order to finish watching. It was a clever plot element, but not a perfect one.
              sigpic
              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

For me it wasn't just the foliage, it would have been the heavy winds caused by the close temperature variations. So yeah, foliage and weather were both inconsistent with what hte planet was said to be.

These are the writers that moved jack's cabin 1000 miles to make a story work. or who rewrote Jaffa attitudes to make an episode work. The whole basis of the show is a theory that only exists in theory so.....I feel if the story and characters are good enough, people don't get bogged down in science (as the show itself showed).
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I come from a background of reading hard SF, so maybe the science behind things catches my attention more than it does for some people, and therefore has more potential to pull me out of a story. Then again, so do some of the other things that the show's writers did. I mean, in the end, once I was being asked to suspend disbelief higher than I found myself capable of doing, I did stop watching the Stargate franchise altogether, except for older seasons from the time before it reached that point.

Bottom line: I'm all about consistency and getting the details right. I'm like that with other kinds of stories, too.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Addendum to the above: Interestingly enough, wind strength wouldn't be uniformly high over the entirety of a tidally-locked Earthlike planet.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

My turn for a question--well, two really (more if you count the sub-questions and want to get technical ).

1. What's the best way to I.D. someone? This person is alive & is in an alternate reality where he either does not exist or has not met himself yet. He does not have "proper I.D." and so the authorities are going to test him to find out who he is. They have an extensive database and advanced technology; everyone's (law-abiding citizens, at any rate) DNA is on file. Would the best way be an inner cheek swab, a retinal scan or what? Since he's at the police station, he was going to be finger printed, but then I was thinking about it, and that may be too "primitive" of a method, as well as having nothing to do with matching his DNA. If he does exist, would his DNA be different in the alternate reality than his counter-part's?

2. Also, does anyone know what the theories are on meeting oneself in an alternate reality? Would the two copies of the same person be able to interact? Would they die instantly if they touched? Would the life force of the "interloper" drain the life force of the one whose reality had been invaded, no matter how far away they were from each other? Or would there be no effect at all? Anyone have any thoughts on this sort of thing?
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

My turn for a question--well, two really (more if you count the sub-questions and want to get technical ).

1. What's the best way to I.D. someone? This person is alive & is in an alternate reality where he either does not exist or has not met himself yet. He does not have "proper I.D." and so the authorities are going to test him to find out who he is. They have an extensive database and advanced technology; everyone's (law-abiding citizens, at any rate) DNA is on file. Would the best way be an inner cheek swab, a retinal scan or what? Since he's at the police station, he was going to be finger printed, but then I was thinking about it, and that may be too "primitive" of a method, as well as having nothing to do with matching his DNA. If he does exist, would his DNA be different in the alternate reality than his counter-part's?

2. Also, does anyone know what the theories are on meeting oneself in an alternate reality? Would the two copies of the same person be able to interact? Would they die instantly if they touched? Would the life force of the "interloper" drain the life force of the one whose reality had been invaded, no matter how far away they were from each other? Or would there be no effect at all? Anyone have any thoughts on this sort of thing?
                        1. Fingerprints might be the best way to go, as even identical twins have different fingerprints but their DNA is the same. I don't know about retina scans and am not sure whether they would have those on file for everyone either. Then again, the fingerprints might also differ between alternates

2. We saw Sam interact and work together with Dr Carter from an alternate reality in Point of View.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

1. Fingerprints might be the best way to go, as even identical twins have different fingerprints but their DNA is the same. I don't know about retina scans and am not sure whether they would have those on file for everyone either. Then again, the fingerprints might also differ between alternates

2. We saw Sam interact and work together with Dr Carter from an alternate reality in Point of View.
                          Thanks, fems!

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that this is an original fic, so nothing has to be SG canon or fanon, but thanks for reminding me of all the Sams in one room. The tech of this Earth is slightly more advanced than ours (so cutting-edge stuff that we are just getting into would be old hat), but run using renewable sources, rather than off fossil fuels.
                          sigpic

Comment

Point of View and Ripple Effect both showed alternate versions of the same people working together perfectly well, though in the former case entropic cascade failure was mentioned - the version of Carter not native to 'this' reality experienced unusual effects that would have resulted in her death had they not returned her to her reality. Although briefly mentioned, it was not shown again after Point of View.
                            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                              Point of View and Ripple Effect both showed alternate versions of the same people working together perfectly well, though in the former case entropic cascade failure was mentioned - the version of Carter not native to 'this' reality experienced unusual effects that would have resulted in her death had they not returned her to her reality. Although briefly mentioned, it was not shown again after Point of View.
                              Thanks for the reminder--that could make things difficult. But at least it gives me something to Google from.
                              sigpic

Comment

Yeah I wondered why it was never mentioned in Point of View.

I've actually got an idea for someone coming from an alternate reality but there's not much to it yet. But I am working on an idea I've had for a back in time fic, although it's technically present day but people from the future end up in the present.
                                sigpic
                                McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
                                Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
                                ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X