This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    But as I understand the ATA gene, a person doesn't have to have two copies. Do they?
    As I said before, it has never been clarified whether it's recessive or dominant and how it is passed on.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      can't disagree, however we're also dealing with a show that made a planet with a permanent light and dark side, which just isn't possible as they portrayed it....my interpretation? It's an alien planet. If the show writers can take liberties, so can fanfic authors.

SHe can even hang a lantern on it, they remark about how tides don't work this way, someone else replies 'it's an alien planet, they tend to operate by their own rules'
      It's possible to have a tidally-locked planet with a permanently light side and a permanently dark side. If you're talking about the planet in The Broca Divide, the darkness was in all likelihood the edge of the shadowed side while the Land of Light was the edge of the lighted side, with both actually existing in the narrow habitable ribbon around the terminator. Complicated? Sure, Impossible? No.

But it isn't possible to have tides like you've described, and I'm pretty sure happening upon something like that would be enough to pull a lot of readers right out of the story.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        As I said before, it has never been clarified whether it's recessive or dominant and how it is passed on.
        Even if it's dominant the penetrance might be less than 100%

Comment

If you need two copies of the ATA gene in order for the gene to function then, yeah, having only one copy of it would mean you couldn't make use of it but would give you the potential to have a child with two copies if you mated with someone else who had one or two copies. But as I understand the ATA gene, a person doesn't have to have two copies. Do they?
          Just a guess--could it be that the naturals, like Sheppard & Carson, were people whose mother and father both had the gene, and those who needed Carson's "gene therapy" had the gene from only one parent?
          sigpic
          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I'm not asking about recessive or dominant. I'm asking about whether it was ever stipulated that a person had to have two copies of the gene. As for how it's passed on, obviously it would be passed on the same way all other genes are passed along -- by parental sex.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
              Just a guess--could it be that the naturals, like Sheppard & Carson, were people whose mother and father both had the gene, and those who needed Carson's "gene therapy" had the gene from only one parent?
              That would make sense.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

That gives her plenty of leeway, then.
                sigpic
                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I'm not asking about recessive or dominant. I'm asking about whether it was ever stipulated that a person had to have two copies of the gene. As for how it's passed on, obviously it would be passed on the same way all other genes are passed along -- by parental sex.
                  My parents never had sex--the stork brought me. It's just a coincidence that I look a bit like each of them.
                  sigpic

Comment

I was talking about whether it works the same way as, say, hair or eye color or if it's different like being x-linked dominant or recessive.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I'm mainly curious really because John is a natural carrier but I always wondered whether his brother ever possessed the gene or not. But as there isn't all that much information about the ATA gene I'll probably make some slight changes and there'll probably be one or two things made up. But it's fanfiction so I guess we can stretch the truth a bit and make it fit.
                      sigpic
                      McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
                      Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
                      ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

What exactly do you mean by a "a strong natural strain" of the gene? Strains apply to bacteria and viruses, but genes don't really come in strains.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

^ I've edited that bit out, but I just meant that he's a natural carrier, but I used the wrong words to explain what I meant.
                          sigpic
                          McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
                          Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
                          ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

You can however have mutated forms of genes. The double-muscle mutation in humans is an example - mutations in one or both copies of the gene responsible for myostatin produces people with muscular hypertrophy.
                            Last edited by Sealurk; 26 January 2013, 04:21 PM.
                            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

It's possible to have a tidally-locked planet with a permanently light side and a permanently dark side. If you're talking about the planet in The Broca Divide, the darkness was in all likelihood the edge of the shadowed side while the Land of Light was the edge of the lighted side, with both actually existing in the narrow habitable ribbon around the terminator. Complicated? Sure, Impossible? No.

But it isn't possible to have tides like you've described, and I'm pretty sure happening upon something like that would be enough to pull a lot of readers right out of the story.
                              It depends more on your point of view. They're alien planets. We've never been able to really steady planets in a double sun system or other things. We, as in a general we, are applying our knowledge of earth to planets that may not follow the same rules. Beyond Mars we have yet to even set 'foot' on an alien planet

As to what pulls people out of stories....it varies from person to person. I'm bugged more by bad spelling, bad grammar, medical malpractice and stories that are so bogged down with intricate detail that they're a trial to read. (why I never read Doc's 'For God and Country'......too tedious, after a few pages I got tired of trying to wade through it and gave up.)

Obviously you feel very strongly about your opinions, so be it. I still feel that it's an alien planet and we can't presume that it'll act like earth, because it's not.

At the end of the day, it's Sara's story and her choice what she does with it. It'll be fun to see what she comes up with.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Physics really isn't a POV thing, Sky. The effects of tidal locking can be modeled mathematically, and have been. I have links if you want them.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X