No announcement yet.

Shore Leave 36 Aug 1-3 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah to the renovation and goodbye to that gross carpet. I hope we are going to get more actor guests for the con. And after seeing this on the home page I hope they put a cap on the tickets sold so we won't have the problem with RDA like we had with Shatner last year. http://www.gateworld.net/news/2014/0...ve-convention/
    Please help my dragon eggs CLICK HERE My fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi40 View Post
      Yeah to the renovation and goodbye to that gross carpet. I hope we are going to get more actor guests for the con. And after seeing this on the home page I hope they put a cap on the tickets sold so we won't have the problem with RDA like we had with Shatner last year. http://www.gateworld.net/news/2014/0...ve-convention/
      I missed last year. What happened with Shatner panels?
      sigpic

Comment

Well I was in the elevator coming down from the 3rd floor when it stopped on the second and opened. They called for the line for Shatner's photo op and it was like a herd of cattle. Also getting through the hall infront of the ballroom was so crowed that I had to scream please move wheelchair coming through. I know it will be worse this year with RDA. planning on getting something to do the the yelling for me maybe an an horn

Comment

Originally posted by griffindorgirl View Post
          planning on getting something to do the the yelling for me maybe an an horn
          If the goal is to earn the enmity of many convention attendees, this would be an excellent move. Or maybe I'm just biased, having had someone in a scooter ride right over my foot, when I was unable to actually move out of the way. Protip: you're far from the only person at the convention trying to get from point A to point B.

Comment

Originally posted by kimberlyrose View Post
            If the goal is to earn the enmity of many convention attendees, this would be an excellent move. Or maybe I'm just biased, having had someone in a scooter ride right over my foot, when I was unable to actually move out of the way. Protip: you're far from the only person at the convention trying to get from point A to point B.
            or just getting kicked out of the con and totally banned. I hope you're joking about the horn because if I got blasted in the ear, I'd 'selmak-ize' out (waves flippers in a kung fu style).
            sigpic

Selmak.Org ~ A website dedicated to a Snarky Symbiote & Her Boy Toys.
            Sel's Memorial to Don Davis.

Comment

No I don't want to piss people off but some times it is just hard to be pushing some one in a wheel chair and not being able to get through the crowd. Also some people stop to talk in the middle of the traffic and that is just not cool. My friend is a hypoglysimic [sorry about spelling] and we ran out of snacks and sugar. I was trying to get her to our room for some thing to eat and finally a Mantacore Marine guy got in front of us and helped us get to the elevators. I understand crowds and can deal with them usually but this was a different.

Comment

Originally posted by griffindorgirl View Post
                No I don't want to piss people off but some times it is just hard to be pushing some one in a wheel chair and not being able to get through the crowd. Also some people stop to talk in the middle of the traffic and that is just not cool. My friend is a hypoglysimic [sorry about spelling] and we ran out of snacks and sugar. I was trying to get her to our room for some thing to eat and finally a Mantacore Marine guy got in front of us and helped us get to the elevators. I understand crowds and can deal with them usually but this was a different.
                Here's the thing. Yes, hypoglycemia can be serious. I'm surprised that between two of you, neither of you said, "hey, we're running low on snacks. We should go back to our room to get some more." Instead, you waited until a medical situation was developing to do something about it. It amazes me that your response to this is not, "we should pack more snacks next time," and instead you've gone with "let's get an air horn."

So, no, it's not "different." Still entitled, just worse, because it's the two of you goofing around with her health. If there's something you must attend, pack extra snacks. I've been around fandom long enough that I have no patience for "I'm not going to care for myself, I'm just going to let it become a medical emergency instead." You didn't make yourself look better, you just made the two of you look irresponsible.

Comment

It was just she didn't pack her bag and I did pack mine with snacks and stuff for the both of us for the day. The problem was that it was right when everyone was let out for the shatner panel when it happened. I am more aware that of the problem and I am going to pack extra stuff for the con and every con that we go to now on. I know that an air horn is a stupid idea. So forgive me for making a mistake, I am not perfect.

Comment

OK, so crowd control was the issue. Egads! The hallways are narrow enough as it is when things are going well. Throw in BIG celebs and screening for fans to enter an extra-fee panel and chaos can ensue. And, chaos did happen.

I will assume that the Shore Leave staff recognized that the Shatner event was problematic and potentially dangerous for attendees. The SL folks are smart and aim to provide a good, safe show for all.

They've been trying to get RDA for a long, long time and will want to live up to their reputation of a good show for guests to attend, too.

IF for some reason the SL staff did not recognize the Shatner crowd debacle so they can organize to avoid a repeat this year, then an email to SL with suggestions are in order.
                    sigpic

Comment

Just ordered the RDA and Micheal Welch photo op for me, VeryAngryStargateFan, and Jedi40. So

Comment

Originally posted by nell View Post
                        I passed along the SL 36 guest news to Darren via Skydiver so it will be posted on the Con thread for the general GW population. Hope to see more GWers at this con. I remember in 2006 that Amanda drew a big GW contingent. It was great fun to meet folks that I otherwise only know through GW.
                        This will be my first time at Shore Leave being that I live in Seattle so I usually just go to Vancouver cons and I am looking forward to it. I've been a GWer for many years. Originally from Rochester NY so I'll be visiting there AND going to the Chicago con as well. It will be good to meet up with you all.

Donamac

Comment

Welcome to Shore Leave. It is a small but well run con. Maybe this year we can do the gateworld meet up a Panarea on Friday again.
                          Originally posted by donamac View Post
                          This will be my first time at Shore Leave being that I live in Seattle so I usually just go to Vancouver cons and I am looking forward to it. I've been a GWer for many years. Originally from Rochester NY so I'll be visiting there AND going to the Chicago con as well. It will be good to meet up with you all.

Donamac

Comment

Originally posted by donamac View Post

Donamac
                            Welcome, Donamac! Keep checking here for info about a meet up. As griffindorgirl suggested we may have our annual Friday night meet and greet at Panera.
                            sigpic

Comment

New guest!
                              Eve Myles: Torchwood's Gwen Cooper, Doctor Who's Gwyneth

Photo Opts Singles

Richard Dean Anderson ($85) Robert Picardo ($45)
                              Silas Weir Mitchell ($45) Michael Welch ($45)
                              Eve Myles ($45)

Combo Photo Opts
                              Richard Dean Anderson and Robert Picardo combo: $120
                              Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Welch combo: $110

All prices are per photo.
                              Please help my dragon eggs CLICK HERE My fanfics

Comment

I am soooo happy that Eve Myles is coming. Late last year I started watching the new and improved Doctor Who beginning with Season 1 in 2005 and when Captain Jack Harkness was introduced I started watching Torchwood. I think Gwen Cooper is a delightful character on Torchwood with smarts and spunk.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X