Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate has brought me some of my closest friends.

Running a Stargate focused Gaming clans has lead me to make tons of great friends.

Comment

Trying to put into words how ‘Stargate’ has impacted my life is like trying to describe how one feels for one’s very soul.

I actually didn’t find ‘Stargate SG-1’ until two years after its cancellation. My friends had been mentioning this show called ‘Stargate’ for quite some time and telling me that I should watch it. One late night in May of 2009, I had a chance to catch the second season episode “Out Of Mind” on television. I was instantly intrigued by the show and its characters and was thoroughly disappointed by the words “To Be Continued” that appeared on the screen at the end. I wanted more. After blinking helplessly at the television when the next episode wasn’t forthcoming, I took to the internet to find it for myself. By the time “Into The Fire” finished, I was hooked. So hooked, in fact, that I went all the way to the beginning of the series and watched the entire 10 seasons in the following two months, marathoning an average of four episodes at a time in the wee hours of the morning. And then I started in on ‘Atlantis.’

Over the course of the series I fell in love with the characters and primarily the character of Daniel Jackson. I was utterly captivated by these people who traveled across the stars and met fantastical beings on other planets. I laughed with them, I cried with them, and I cheered them on as they faced their foes. The characters became some of my best friends and their enthusiasm for their work was infectious. I even ended up rekindling my love of ancient civilizations and the myths connected to them because of Daniel’s thirst for knowledge.

In 2010 it was the love of these characters that prompted me to fly across the country to Dragon*Con in Atlanta to attend my very first convention and to meet Michael Shanks as a birthday present to myself. My experiences at that convention gave me a sense of belonging that I’d never felt before in my everyday life leading up to that point. I knew I had to do this again. The following April I drove up to Vancouver for one day of the ‘Stargate’ Con to see Paul McGillion and then Labor Day weekend I was back in Atlanta for my second Dragon*Con where I met Amanda Tapping. This year, I was at the very last ‘Stargate’ Con in Vancouver. Being able to go on the location tour was amazing. To walk the hallowed grounds from my favorite show meant more to me than I can say. While standing in lines, I made some connections with wonderful people who I’m positive I will continue to be friends with for years to come. Some of these connections even transcend those I have with my family.

The show, and the friends I made because of it, have helped me get through some extremely difficult emotional times and helped guide me out of a period of depression.

I literally cannot imagine my life without this wonderful show in it.

Comment

How has Stargate affected My life? Well i've learned alot more in the science field because of Stargate. I have not met alot of people that love stargate as much as i do. And i Hope that one day i can. I look up to Thee stargsate actors, mostly the ones who couldnt stay dead. Without stargate i have no idea where id be today. I quit school at 18, and beacuse of stargate i got the push i needed to go and get my ged and now at 20 i hope to be going to college in the fall to studie more about science and do what i need to do to get though life with a smile on my face. If i where able to meet some of the large number of actors there are i know my life would change for the better and I cant wait for that day to come.

Comment

Hi my Name in Nathan,

Most of my life I grew up in Meridian, Idaho. When I was 14 I was came from school and sat on the couch, turned on the TV. And behold, Stargate SG1. I cannot remember the episode, but I can tell you I was hooked. It was my first and only hobby that I have retained. I fell in love came home and watched the SG1 (and Atlantis and SGU as time progressed) everyday at 1600. I got more hooked I started look up stargate online and found out about the books and the older episodes. I started collecting everything I could. My collection isn't the best but it is mine, and I love it. As Junior year approached, I started looking beyond high school and tried to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. My grandfather and dad had served in the United States Army and I had always wanted to follow in their footsteps. I also had SG1, a collection of stories that I fell in love with. I knew that I wanted to change the world (like every character we have all fell in love with) and that I wanted to serve my country. I applied to all the service acadamies and various colleges with ROTC units. I was accepted to the United States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY (I am two years into the four year program). Part of my schooling here is working 317 days on board various merchant vessels, Navy Ships, and Army Watercraft. I have had the oppurtunity to travel across the world during my first sea term. I spent 106 days on the MV Green Point sailing from Tokyo, Kawasaki, Okinawa, Yokohama, Japan..... Busan South Korea... Guam, New West Minister Canada..... and all over the west coast of the United States. I have seen only a small portion of the world, but I believe that the unity expressed in the Stargate series should exist among our nations. And I am willing to fight for others to have freedom and security. After I graduate (knock on wood), I am allowed to commission as an officer in any of the military branches of the United States. I hope that once I graduate I enter the United States Army or United States Navy as an Intelligence Officer. I know that SG1 gave me the dreams to look beyond the horizion to do something for others. My father and SG1 gave me a love for the United States. This is a wonderful country, I have gained that knowledge by seeing different parts of the world. I hope that I have the oppurtunity to serve like my great grandfather, my father and like all the characters of SG1, Atlantis, SGU that I have come to love and appreciate the more older I get. The characters and stargate will be like handprint on my heart (from Wicked, I was also a choir nerd). And I know that I wouldn't be where I am at in my life without my family, and that day I sat on the couch and saw watched my first episode of Stargate.

Very Respectfully,
          Nathan

P.S. I apologize for all the english errors. English is not one of my strengths

Comment

Stargate reignited my love for the sci-fi genre. I'd been burned by TPTB of Trek and while I loved all things sci-fi, I had gone from hardcore to casual viewer. When I met my husband he suggested I watch this show, SG-1, and I fell in love. He jokes that he created a monster because, well, here I am

What is there to say? The stories were imaginative, the talent unsurpassed. There are few shows with the quality of Stargate. I've loved all three series, each of them unique in their own way. The actors are fun, the production staff accessible...they love their fanbase and honestly, does it get any better than that? I don't think it does.

Yeah, I sound sappy.

Comment

Stargate introduced me to the world of Science Fiction (I tell people that I'm a Stargate fan who is gradually branching out into the general Sci-Fi realm.) Also, I have met some of my best friends thanks to Stargate!
              sigpic
              ~~sig created by bailey1ak~~

Comment

Stargate has been important in my life because my wife really enjoys watching Atlantis with me and we watch it together almost every day. Our favorite characters are Dr. McKay and Beckett!

Comment

I started watching stargate when i was in the third grade. Over the past several years, i have acquired all 10 seasons of SG-1, all 5 seasons of Atlantis, and all 3 movies on DVD. Whenever I have an exam to study for or something I need to concentrate on, I throw in a disc and hit play all. I got straight A's in high school and continue to get pretty good grades in college. I like to think Stargate has played a role in that.

Comment

The Stargate Franchise has impacted my life in many ways. one of my laptops is now called the Daedalus, another laptop of mine is now called the Orion, and my desktop is called Atlantis. Each computer has the background of the ship/city ship. I Don't go a single day without watching a Stargate episode.

Comment

How has stargate affected my life?

Oh man, where to start. I'm late comer to this realm, though I have always been a sci-fi fan, I have just discovered stargate in the last two years. But since then, stargate has connected me with great people from around the world and opened my eyes to a world of new possibilities.

Sam Carter has taught me to never loose the wonder in discovering new things and ideas (Daniel too!); Elizabeth Weir showed me how to be strong without being hard; Jack always reminded me to see the humour in each situation and I now know more about the american air force than I ever wanted to.

Case-in-point: A while back there was a jeopardy "answer" that asked something like "which committee controls the funding for the various branches of the military in the USA" and I knew the "question" because of Kinsey (Appropriations)!

Stargate has inspired me to consider possibilities that I'd never considered before, which is always a good thing.

Comment

I was asked to teach summer school to a group of highly intelligent students who had failed 7th or 8th grade science. I had to figure out how to motivate kids who obviously could do well in school, but had chosen not to. As I was obsessed with StarGate myself, I decided to be a bit zany and tell these kids on the first day of their sentence of summer school that they had been drafted into the Stargate program, in our top secret government research laboratory.

I made the kids sign fake nondisclosure forms, gave them binders with TOP SECRET written on them, and taped up the door to the classroom with fake government warning signs saying one could not enter without appropriate clearances. I dressed up in airforce gear with Stargate patches, fed the kids freeze dried astronaut food for snacks, and wrapped every single science lesson around a 10 minute video clip of a problem that some Stargate team was experiencing. The kids had to do research, perform experiments, and report on the scientific basis for how we could solve the problem the stargate crew was experiencing (whether it was alien replicators, or plants growing out of control, or the nature of atoms, etc.) I had an actor friend Skype with the class every few days, dressed up as a general, demanding a report on our research progress.

We had a LOT of fun, the kids loved the class, I loved the class, and summer school was a whole lot less painful than everyone was expecting it to be!!

Comment

How has Stargate affected my life?

Stargate was the first science fiction show I have ever watched. At first it was purely for entertainment, but after a couple of years of absence in my life I have found a new appreciation for it and how I see life and the world now.

At the very least my life has been enriched by the friendships I've made that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Comment

Stargate introduced me to the world of science fiction and I have never looked back. I now go to conventions, not only to see the stars of my favorite tv show but also to see the great friends I have made through this wonderful fandom. I probably now spend more money on props from the show than I should but I don't ever regret it
                            sigpic

Comment

First a partial requote from doublecut's opening post :
                              Originally posted by doublecut View Post
                              We’ll randomly choose a winner on June 10, 2012 — and they will be notified via the forum. You must be 18 years or older to enter, and only one entry per person, please. Duplicate entries will result in disqualification.

IMPORTANT: This contest provides the winner and guest with tickets to the convention only. The winner and guest are responsible for all other issues involving con attendance. Airfare (or other travel expenses), hotel accommodations and other incidentals are not included.

Good luck to all who enter! And a big thank-you to Creation Entertainment for their continued support of GateWorld!
                              Hi everyone.
                              Please remember to check your e-mail in-boxes and Spam folders for notifications,AND log back into the Forum regularly from the 10th onward to check out your Private Messages.

Also : If anyone interested in taking part in the Draw is having difficulties registering for a Forum Account,please let us know as quickly as possible.

Contact us via the webmaster-at-gateworld.net e-mail address.

Thanks,and good luck !

Bagpuss

GateWorld Administrator/Moderator.
                              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

The Stargate movie blew me away. I knew I wanted to explore that universe again. The story and the characters were just fantastic and as I grew up, I picked up all new little details I couldn't see as a 10 year old child.

Stargate SG-1 came at the perfect time for me. I grew up with a love of aviation and as I was preparing for high school, which came the next few years, I was very interested in the Air Force. Stargate SG-1 didn't affect my decision, but it encouraged my curiosity in science and math. Now I am a computer programmer working on projects for the government (not the military, though) as a civilian.

The Stargate franchise has always given me great stories and characters as well as scientific possibities to ponder. It was my science fiction show that I compare all others too. It will always remain in my heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X