Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not-so-much-in-Burbank, Baby '09!!! (Official SG Con, Los Angeles 2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sooooo excited that Claudia signed. It actually prompted me to start looking into plane tickets. This is going to be one expensive con if I do go...
    sigpic
    Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by Neelan_Liquor View Post
      So far. They always have 3 or more. Biggest year was 2001. They had 6.
      Last year's breakfast was pretty good as well.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
        Last year's breakfast was pretty good as well.
        True. The SG/FF breakfast was pretty awesome, too. 6 guests for that one, too.

But really, how many people wouldn't pay extra money to see Ben AND RDA at breakfast?

Comment

Originally posted by Neelan_Liquor View Post
          But really, how many people wouldn't pay extra money to see Ben AND RDA at breakfast?
          Personally, I'm willing to eat ramen noodles for a month just for that
          sigpic
          sig.by : lilferret

Comment

folks, think about it.

if there was a snowball's chance in Netu that Rick was gonna come to the con, don't you think that creation, a company well known for their passionate dedication to preserving their profit margin, would be promoting the heck out of it?

Seriously. Y'all remember the MASSIVE kerfluffle and brouhaha brought about by Rick coming to Gatecon and how it was promoted and publicized...and you honestly think, if Rick were signed to come, it wouldn't be plastered all over the front page of their site in a 72 point font?

I know it's fun to play 'let's pretend' but trust me, if Rick were signed it would be a well publicized event so that Creation could make the most of his presence and sell as many tickets to fill the hall as full as the fire marshal would let them?

And do you seriously think they'd be allowing attendees from another con to enter for FREE? How I'm interpreting the gesture is that they're taking two underperforming events and combining them to cut some of the costs and save a few bucks. Would they seriously be doing this if they knew they'd be able to announce 'hey, rick's coming' and sell day passes for 300 dollars each? If they knew or suspected they'd have a 'big ticket' guest on the hook, they'd be preserving those seats that they can then sell for hundreds of dollars, not giving them away.

Just like Gatecon did. They'd save those seats to maximize the profit from them, they wouldn't give them away.

Trust me, with Rick's preference for fan run cons that contribute heavily to charity, I personally don't see the chance of him signing with Creation to be very good.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by L-JADE View Post
              Personally, I'm willing to eat ramen noodles for a month just for that

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              How I'm interpreting the gesture is that they're taking two underperforming events and combining them to cut some of the costs and save a few bucks.
              I never said Rick WOULD be there, but I think they might be trying to get him. It's just speculation. And the FS con still does well. They've filled rooms twice the size of the one they used last year for SG and FF. The combined cons work for them for several reasons only one of which is that it's easier to sell out a smaller room.

Comment

the thing is, everyone's 'supposing' is starting rumors that just won't happen. My personal opinion is, while every con company under the sun will TRY to get rick, the chances of him signing is slim to none.

I don't think he'll ever sign with creation. They seem to be a company that he prefers not to work with, or a company whose philosophy is different enough from his own that he simply finds more accommodating hosts

sigpic

Comment

I think this is a rather amusing conversation - that a. people are thinking this might happen in the first place (where'd that rumour start anyway?) and b. that people assume Creation wouldn't be willing to do what RDA would like in order for him to attend a con with them in the first place, business they are sure, but they're not stupid either.

Comment

Originally posted by Tal View Post
                    (where'd that rumour start anyway?)
                    One of the organisers told several attendees at the Vancouver event that they were "only waiting for the signed contract." At least this is what three people told me.

Comment

I think this is a rather amusing conversation - that a. people are thinking this might happen in the first place (where'd that rumour start anyway?) and b. that people assume Creation wouldn't be willing to do what RDA would like in order for him to attend a con with them in the first place, business they are sure, but they're not stupid either.
                      Well, I think Creation has been hinting heavily at this happening, starting at last year's Burbank con.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
                        Well, I think Creation has been hinting heavily at this happening, starting at last year's Burbank con.
                        I don't doubt that a rumor could be started to generate more ticket sales . . . and then not have it actually happen.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I believe that kind of comment is getting dangerously close to slander.

Comment

I don't doubt that a rumor like that could be allowed to continue to generate excitement and anticipation. And if it's only the fans that are making massive leaps in logic and deduction and the con company never expressly says something untrue, how can they be held accountable for the suggestions and hopes of fans?

they would not be the first company to simply neglect to correct an incorrect assumption made by a member of the public

It's no different than on Joe's blog, when people would ask 'will so and so guest? or how about him? or 'how about her' and joe's constant response would be 'it's possible'

ANYTHING is possible, not not as much is PROBABLE.

it's POSSIBLE that Brad Pitt will guest on Stargate Universe. Not bloody likely, but possible. And if a bunch of Brad Pitt fans want to watch every episode to see if he shows up, hey, their time. Because no one every lied to them. they just jumped to a wrong conclusion that never got corrected

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              I don't doubt that a rumor like that could be allowed to continue to generate excitement and anticipation. And if it's only the fans that are making massive leaps in logic and deduction and the con company never expressly says something untrue, how can they be held accountable for the suggestions and hopes of fans?

they would not be the first company to simply neglect to correct an incorrect assumption made by a member of the public

It's no different than on Joe's blog, when people would ask 'will so and so guest? or how about him? or 'how about her' and joe's constant response would be 'it's possible'

ANYTHING is possible, not not as much is PROBABLE.

it's POSSIBLE that Brad Pitt will guest on Stargate Universe. Not bloody likely, but possible. And if a bunch of Brad Pitt fans want to watch every episode to see if he shows up, hey, their time. Because no one every lied to them. they just jumped to a wrong conclusion that never got corrected
                              I agree that Creation (nor any other convention company) isn't really responsible for correcting any person's wrong assumption (assuming they're not claiming to speak on behalf of the company) but that's different from what the poster above said in that they would actually START a false rumour with the only purpose being to deceive people into buying tickets... I don't think Creation would do that at all.

Comment

I believe that kind of comment is getting dangerously close to slander.
                                I agree. It would be nice just to buy a ticket, but gold are usually offered first. Depending on who the headliner will be, there may be talk of what to charge for the tickets.

Comment

Working...
                                X