X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post

Don't know about the single part, but staying free is a must
    You can't have both - choose freedom

I've seen this on one of those TV shows (probably 'say yes to the dress' or something TLC-ish like it. ) and I never really got it. The bride comes up with ridiculous demands and then expects her bridesmaids to pay for what she wants them to wear. And it's not like you can really refuse...
    Maybe that's why I've never been a bridesmaid. I'm too poor.
    Why not? I'd refuse to wear a dress I didn't like, even if I wasn't expected to pay for it! Surely it wood be something the bride and bridesmaids would negotiate, choose between them?

I vote ELOPE! Cheaper and a heck of a lot less hassle

Comment

*pokes head in cautiously* Is it safe? Are we still overrun with Spencers? Or are we still battening down the hatches for Spencergeddon?!
      sigpic
      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

The Spencers have withdrawn, but I have a feeling they may have taken a few WooHoos along with them - I wonder what the ransom demand will be?

Comment

Well they didn't get me.

Surely it's Spencernado? Spencerconda? Spencshark?

No?
          sigpic

Comment

Woodstockade?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
              You can't have both - choose freedom
              I still believe in real love. But I do agree; you can't be in a committed relationship and not have to compromise. If you can't do that then best stick to casual...er... relationships.

Why not? I'd refuse to wear a dress I didn't like, even if I wasn't expected to pay for it! Surely it wood be something the bride and bridesmaids would negotiate, choose between them?
              Yep, I would (politely) either decline to do the role or decline to wear the dress if it was hideous. Although actually, I would only do that if the dress was showing too much flesh, was a style that just looks really awful on me, or felt really uncomfortable or was difficult or impractical to wear or fiddly to get on. I'd entertain whacky colours and styles; it's the bride and groom's big day after all and, if I'm prepared to see them down the aisle, if they want a Spongbob themed do with all the maids dressed as Squarepants, yeah, why not!

Then again, I think you've all seen my passion for fancy dress so it should not be much of a surprise for you.

I vote ELOPE! Cheaper and a heck of a lot less hassle
              That's exactly what my best friend did. They went to Gretna Green and did it over the anvil which was, apparently, lovely and romantic. In her case the reason for doing that way was because certain members of the family were falling out with other members and it was just easier to avoid arguments from spoiling the big day. It did sort of prompt everyone to make an effort to make up though so they had a big party when they got back. The names have changed but the relatives all still love to hate each other on an on and off basis.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                Woodstockade?
                sigpic

Comment

Oh, you know me - I'd happily entertain whacky colours and styles But if the dress/costume was positively vile/uncomfortable/made me look ridiculous (not in a good way), then I'd decline. It's supposed to be a happy occasion for everyone, including the bridesmaids

Have to say though, I do think people go way over the top these days. Spending thousands/tens of thousands of pounds on what is, after all, just one day, has never sat right with me. I'm also pessimistic enough to say 'what a waste that was' when the couple split up a couple of years later But that's based on personal experience. Everyone is entitled to have whatever wedding they choose - just don't sell the farm in order to finance it

Comment

Yep, can't disagree with that. Unfortunately even if you don't want to spend loads on it, the moment you use the word "wedding" the price just about triples. People cash in.
                    My wedding cost £800 total. About a quarter of that was cost of the licences and the rings. On balance they were the most important part.
                    sigpic

Comment

My first wedding cost £50 all in. Made my own dress - £7. Church + bells - £10. The rest went on hiring the church hall and providing a buffet for 50 people. I hated every minute of it

Second wedding probably cost about the same, but was a much more pleasant experience. There were only ten guests - people who we actually wanted at our wedding

Comment

If I ever did it again (hey, never say never) that's exactly the way I'd want it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hm. Sailing dangerously close to the sad place - think we need a change of subject.... anyone?

Comment

Yes, good thinking.

We should have a Woohoo party.
                            sigpic

Comment

I keep playing this to myself to fool my brain into thinking we're through winter already.
                              sigpic

Comment

my wedding was dirt cheap - I wore a dress I had (it was long, yellow, and looked terrific on me - why not?) we had it at home, there were 7 people there - my husband and I, my sister who stood up with me and his brother who stood up with him. His mom was there (bless her! she did some flowers - yellow carnations (gillyflowers) my favorite) my mom, and the minister. That's it. We had a bottle of champagne afterwards. It was perfect. 36 years now.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X