This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode #9 is now available!

There is big news in the Stargate world, and with no new episode of Atlantis to discuss this week GateWorld's editors let their opinions fly on the show's cancellation. Is Atlantis leaving too soon? We also weigh in on the upcoming third series, Stargate Universe, and what we think it has to have in order to bring the franchise to new heights.

And how about that franchise? Is Stargate running on fumes, or will the DVD movies and the new show make it better than it has ever been?

Also this week:

Gatecon! David is all rested up, and ready for our debrief on last week's big fan convention in Vancouver.

Preview! Get an quick peek at our upcoming video interview with Chuck Campbell.

Listener Mail! Listeners lament the cancellation of Stargate Atlantis, and share why they will or will not be tuning in to the third series.

Listener Question: Tell us what you think of Friday's new episode, "Whispers." Does Stargate do the horror genre well? Or do out-of-the-box episodes, like "Wormhole X-Treme" or "200," just not feel like Stargate?

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Tell us what you thought of the newest Atlantis episode, answer the weekly listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks to everyone for listening and contributing!
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

"Hardcore Atlantis Fan" here - I love your podcasts, but (yup there has to be a but)...

I was a bit disappointed in your podcast this time, because your less than enthusiastic support for Atlantis really shone through in your comments. We are mourning the loss of a beloved friend, but you acted like a parent saying to a child who has just lost his beloved dog, "don't be sad, we'll get you a new puppy tomorrow." You could have talked about the Save Atlantis campaigns, the thousands of petition sigs and sending in lemons, even if you don't think they would work.

Your perceptions of the show do not match mine, I think the Atlantis team had a great family feel, perhaps a bit dysfunctional, but family nonetheless. I am also not interested in SGU as a concept, although I'll watch the pilot to see if I can stomach the 90210 aspect. The aspects of Stargate that made some of SG1 great and most of Atlantis spectacular don't seem to be present.

Of course, this is just me, but you both seemed almost as gleeful as Brad Wright did in his interview to move on past Atlantis and get to the "good stuff."

Comment

Kritter, thank you so much for your honest and thoughtful reply. I truly respect your perspective and appreciate you being bold enough to come forward and risk taking some fire yourself.

I think it's extremely important that Darren and I speak from our hearts during the podcast, and that we don't pander to any one group of fans. Please don't assume that our views are the views of the entire GateWorld community or all of Stargate fandom. They certainly are not. That's why we are so eager to get comments from other folks on the air.

I hope you can appreciate the divergent opinions of all fans, from individuals who favor one particular chunk of the franchise to those who hate it. There should be room for all.

To be frank, I'm glad there are people in the community who don't agree with us. When everyone does, it's a sad, sad day for fandom.

More on this in next week's podcast.

Let your voice be heard on the show! 616-712-1647

Comment

Alright, the pop-up window has been up for an hour now and still nothing's loaded. I give up.

So, was my succinct answer mentioned?

Comment

I simply download the mp3 on the podcast page. Utilizing a high speed connection takes the hard work out of it. I never bothered with the pop-up page.

edit-- it pops up instantly and plays within seconds

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              Alright, the pop-up window has been up for an hour now and still nothing's loaded. I give up.

do you have the latest version of quicktime???
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Episode #14: October 7 - Topic TBD (Suggest one now!)

Classic SG-1
                Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 03 September 2008, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

Sorry hon.

*cough*

Darren and David announced that they felt your answer was extremely longwinded and thus was cut. You've obviously been hanging around me too long.

Comment

We did have a record number of voicemails this week (and one held over from last week), so we limited the written responses a bit (though we still read five).

The secret is that (good) voicemails always trump written responses, so call the hotline to vastly improve your chances of getting heard on the show! If we start getting enough voicemails during the week, we might even stop reading other people's words altogether.
                    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Yeah but the hotline is crazy expensive if you're from the UK.
                      Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Comment

Hi, I'm new to this forum but not Stargate. I've sent responses through the podcast email but they don't seem to get through since I never get a response. I felt compelled to write to not only answer this weeks question but to also comment on a snarky comment made by David(?) " ...Until the actor gets bored and leaves to raise a family" Really? That's a problem for you? God forbid someone puts their child above a TV show(even one of the best ever). Don't get me wrong, I adored the first 8 years of SG-1. RDA was the heart and soul of the show and not only was his presence missed in front of the cameras but from behind them as well. Without him as executive producer the quality slipped( I could mention examples for every ep of 9-10) and, sure, I had the urge to resent him leaving but then I realized his reason for leaving was never out of boredom but for the best reason of all, his daughter. It's decisions like that that make him my hero. He made a very tough choice he wrestled with for years. If you want to be snarky towards someone about him not being in the last 2 seasons enough then aim it towards TPTB who, when RDA said he was free to come back and be in as many episodes as they needed him for and to tie up loose ends(for which there are many), under used him to a shameful degree. He was really only used sufficantly in 2 episodes: the Return Part 2 and The Shroud. The others out of "the five" they had him only pop his head in the door. Shameful. Here's hopeing the next movie is Jack centered like promised and major holes are tied up(Jack/Sam getting together...finnally and A hundred Days for example).

Now as for the question asked: I think Stargate does an excellent job doing horror episodes and even tense moments in general. They set a certain mood and pace that has me at the edge of my seat. Replicators still freak me out. The sound of the metalic walk gives me the chills.
                        I also love most of the "out of the box" episodes. It lets us see different sides of the team in different situations. The only couple I'm not completely happy with would be "200" because of the under use of Jack and the fact that they didn't have the conversations they should have had. The writters stepped over the line of being clever with their subtle jokes and tried to be too cute and unrealalistic(SG-1 character writing was always "Real"). We needed to see Jack interact with Vala for the first time not to mention Cam as well as his family (Sam,Teal'c, Daniel) act happy to see him. Also, saying in that episode that your writing has slipped doesn't make it ok. The only other "Out of Box" episodes that I didn't enjoy as much were any with Vala. Not just because I hate the character but because the writting was so lax that she was written to get away with things the military,let alone any sane person, would let her get away with.
                        Thanks for your time. I'm enjoying the podcasts and look forward to more. Feel free to use any of my comments in your podcast and check out my blog where I review Continuum.
                        myspace.com/harmonyconstant

I hope to see you at the Cherry Hill convention in Nov.
                        Thanks,
                        Mac Jackson
                        [email protected]
                        youtube.com/MacWJack
                        Mac Jackson
                        Singer/Songwriter of
                        "Harmony Constant"
                        [email protected]
                        youtube.com/MacWJack
                        Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
                        http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

You're right, Mac, that was indeed a snarky comment. However, I did not say it to be perceived as you did, rather as a comment on a fact of life. Eight years is an exceptional amount of time to do a television show, and family should come first. Nothing should be expected to last forever. I happen to know that Rick was ready to move on, to raise his daughter and enjoy his retirement. And I applaud him for it. As much as I love his performance as Jack, if he's ready to move on he should be allowed to do so.

Comment

Ok, Thanks for the response. I get very protective of RDA since I admire him so much. I'm glad Wylie gave him the "ok" to go back to work. I hope TPTB really do use him as the center of the next movie and give us the Jack we all know and love. For a personal rant check out my blog. Talk to you later.
                            Mac Jackson
                            Singer/Songwriter of
                            "Harmony Constant"
                            [email protected]
                            youtube.com/MacWJack
                            Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
                            http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

is anyone else having problems downloading the podcast? it would first do a couple hundred kb, but then it would stop and then the time expectency would build up and it would never load and would say error, i have dsl and i've downloaded other podcasts just as big a file and they work fine.

KEEP IT CLEAN
                              Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                              Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

would gw every consider doing a non stargate related podcast

say if another series that is covered on scif stream was premiering

ie bsg,lost,heroes ect.

Comment

Working...
                                X