Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I was saddened and a little surprised at the cancellation of Stargate Atlantis as the quality of the series had been on the rise as well as the ratings. On that note, I feel that maybe its best to have the series end on a high note rather than a low note. I would rather Stargate Atlantis go out with a positive note at the end of season five, than wait one or two years and possibly end on a more negative note. I would rather Atlantis end now, and we get the possibility of future movies every year, than Atlantis end a year from now and that be the last we hear from our beloved characters in the Pegasus galaxy. It is rare that a spinoff like Atlantis recieves this kind of treatment Looking at another long-running franchise, Star Trek, none of the TNG spin offs have ever had movies. So while I am sad that yet another excellent scifi show is biting the dust, I am still excited to see what direction Atlantis goes from here. I have the feeling that Atlantis is not over, not by a long shot, and that there are still many more adventures in the Pegasus galaxy that will be told, just in a different format.

Regarding Stargate Universe, I think that it is premature to write the series off so early in its development stage. Universe has been in the conception stages for at least one year already. The comparisons between Universe and Star Trek Voyager/Battlestar Galactica need to stop. They are all different shows. Voyager was not the first show of its kind, and I'm sure that TPTB are fully aware of BSG and Voyager and will do their best to make Universe stand on its own.

Some would say that the Stargate franchise is on its last legs. Stargate is neither dying, dead, nor going away, it is in a state of change. I say that instead of writing it off and abandoning the franchise that we have loved and supported for so long, that we wait and see where that change will take us. It could be for the better or it could be for the worst...but it won't be for anything if we don't give it a chance.
    That is just my two cents.

Comment

Responce to listener question

When I first heard the news I did a double take. The first few words out of my mouth were completely incomprehensible. I was mad. But if I thought I was mad then, then I was as furious as a person can be when I read about Universe. Not because I felt it was replacing Atlantis, though I'm sure some other fans feel that way, but because of it being aimed at a younger audience. I AM THE YOUNGER AUDIENCE! I'm a fourteen year old who absolutely LOVES this show. I tell everybody I know about it and have made several of my friends watch it. They liked it too! That comment just irritated me more than anything else and it still does.
      sigpic

Comment

How do you feel about the cancellation of Stargate Atlantis, the decision to continue with TV movies, and the announcement of Stargate Universe?
        Admittedly, I was surprised at the decision not to renew Atlantis for a sixth season, however I feel good about the transition from TV show form to Movie form.
        I enjoyed AoT and Continuum, and I think Atlantis also could do very well with higher budgets and more time. It also means less pointless fillers *cough* Irresistible.
        The movie is not the only reason I'm happy to see Atlantis end, as much as I love it was nearing the end. Most of the enemies became a joke (thank you Thor) and alot of the major story lines are coming to a close. While we may have been able to squeeze and extra season out of Atlantis, it's a good time to end. It's not exactly the end of Atlantis, like SG1 has it's changing to something bigger and, hopefully, better.

My feelings on SGU has gone from cautious optimism to pessimistic scepticism. As soon as heard words like "darker tone", "spaced based" and "younger audience" my enthusiasm slowly faded. I hate BSG due it's darkness, and I find one of the most appealing things about Stargate is it's light-heartedness and humour, if you take away this you take away the spirit of Stargate. For my second point, this is starGATE, not star ship, it doesn't seem like they'll be doing much gate travel if they'll be left behind by the ship, which is shame. I'm supposed to be part of this so called "younger audience" (I'm 17), but that just screams "DAWSON'S CREEK/THE OC/HOLLYOAKS/*insert crappy teenage drama in capital letters here*". However, I will still give SGU a shot and hopefully I'm wrong and it still contains the essence of StarGATE.
        Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Responce to listener question

I'm like everyone I think confused, why would you cancel a perfectly good show??? Than I read, like stargatelvr, that one of the main reasons was, because they wanna attract younger people! That is just bull!!! I mean all my friends and classmates know stargate! I'm not exaggerating, you could ask anyone and they would know it! And we're all 15, 16 years old!!! True, SG-1 they all know, but few watch it, because it's been going on for 10 years! But everyone loves and watches atlantis! They only have see until season 4, so every week I watch the brand new episode I tell them about it! They can't do that to me! They will ont-goeroe me! :d :d :d Anyway, cancelling atlantis is probably the worst thing they ever done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I probably never forgive them for it!!!

Comment

If the TPTB (MGM, SciFi, Stargate producers) who made the decision to cancel Atlantis think that dropping a series at a high point is something that fans would want, they are out of their minds.

I will watch the Atlantis and SG-1 movies because I have grown to enjoy the characters and stories so much. Stargate Universe, however, is not something I want to watch. What fans would want to get involved in a new series with networks and producers who have so little regard for their loyalty and viewership?

Comment

With the new Atlantis movie, the writers will be able to tell a story on a far grander scale and I cannot wait to see how they use that opportunity. Nevertheless, there is still a nagging disappointment for me that we will no longer be able to enjoy those more intimate, character-based adventures, focused within the city itself, that Atlantis has always done so well. In my ideal world, the producers would go ahead with the movie, but we would be able to have our hunger sated in the meantime by a series of Webisodes that feed that need for smaller character moments, without requiring big SFX shots or heavy action. It might also help restore some of the goodwill that has been lost for Stargate Universe in the wake of the cancellation, if the fans' continuing loyalty to Atlantis was recognised with a similar display of commitment to its ongoing success by TPTB. I enjoyed the way that the Webisodes were used in Battlestar Galactica to enrich its mythology, and I see no reason why it couldn't be done for Atlantis.
              Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Comment

How do you feel about the cancellation of Stargate Atlantis, the decision to continue with TV movies, and the announcement of Stargate Universe?
                It sucked. Hard.

There. You can put that after Peg's.

---

By the way, I've got a problem with the podcast. I click the thing on the top right corner of the site, and the pop up pops up, right? But nothing happens after that. I just get this:

...and nothing loads. And I consider my computer to be pretty quick too.

EDIT: Ok, nevermind. It's loaded. But damn, that took a while.
                Last edited by PG15; 29 August 2008, 07:01 PM.

Comment

This happened to me once, too. It might have been when I tested it in IE -- it has to load the entire ~45MB file before the QuickTime plugin appears and the file starts playing. Firefox it starts almost immediately.
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I have a problem that the sound seems to cut in and out throughout when I listen to the podcast in the popup, and have the same problem with interviews, so I've just started downloading it on iTunes.
                    Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                      This happened to me once, too. It might have been when I tested it in IE -- it has to load the entire ~45MB file before the QuickTime plugin appears and the file starts playing. Firefox it starts almost immediately.
                      Ah, that's what it is then. I use IE.

Teh Firefox! TEH FIREFOX!!!! Nooooooooo!!

Comment

Originally posted by topaz_bean View Post
                        I have a problem that the sound seems to cut in and out throughout when I listen to the podcast in the popup, and have the same problem with interviews, so I've just started downloading it on iTunes.
                        Hmm. I know this can happen as you continue to browse the Web with the pop-up player open. If your browser runs into something a little intense to load, the audio plug-in will hiccup until the other page element is loaded.
                        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                          Hmm. I know this can happen as you continue to browse the Web with the pop-up player open. If your browser runs into something a little intense to load, the audio plug-in will hiccup until the other page element is loaded.
                          Ah, serves me right for using a shoddy laptop and an ethernet connection.

Comment

Listened to number 8 great. Now need to go back to find the couple I missed

Cancellation sucks No more wonderful Wraith

I will give SGU a chance, but better be good.

When THE PRODIGAL is aired can you get the actor

Spoiler:
                            Connor Trinneer
                            to come on, the David Hewlett was ace. Seen this actor at convention so I'm sure the interview will be great.

MCH

PS Darren
                            Also
                            Spoiler:
                            Todd Chris H get him for the mid season 2 parter
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

loved the first 8 i have most of them in my mp3 player

looking forward to the sga version
                              Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 01 September 2008, 08:38 AM.
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

suggestion

maybe make a different thread for "listener question" and leave this for podcast feedback

ie issues and ideas
                                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                                X