Shore Leave 31 July 10-12,2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
    There is some seat saving...but the ballroom is so big, I haven't experienced a problem.

Autograph calls are numbered. They call the first 100...then the second 100...etc., by badge number.

Don't worry! You'll have a great time!
    Don't you worry, we'll take good care of Aurora. Make sure she learns the ropes.

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Comment

griffindorgirl, I like your scrapbook pages. Hope you'll post some more! I want to put my Stargate scrapbook together...and I love getting ideas!

And I see you just beat me to telling mamasue that Paul M. did Shore Leave in 2007.

He was soooooo nice!
      I'll have my Stargate scrapbook with me during Shore Leave. I am going to make pages up for the guest to sign. I am going to leave the big all Con scrapbook at home because it weighs about 10 pounds and is trouble to get everything organized in it. I already have a plan. As soon as Kett posts guests, I am going to start getting pics together to make pages for the con. I am going to try to make a new badge for the con. I had a custom one made for last year and it looked great.

I think that a group of us gateworlders should get together and hold down the fort for each other in the ballroom. That is if they don't decided to assign seating if they get the PITS guests.

Comment

Originally posted by nell View Post
        After my experience at Gate Con I wouldn't mind having an assigned seat. I could count on my seat being there for me all the time. Shore Leave seat saving was sometimes an issue last summer when people saved a seat for someone who left for whatever reason during a panel. Then, folks who were present and wanted a seat near the front were told, "Seat's saved." But, it went unused.
        A very good point, nell. It would be a big change for Shore Leave, but it was nice to know we had a specific seat at Gatecon.

I can see pros and cons both ways.

Comment

A very good point, nell. It would be a big change for Shore Leave, but it was nice to know we had a specific seat at Gatecon.

I can see pros and cons both ways.
          I like the idea of assigned seats too. Knowing you have a seat to go back to would make it easier to check out some of the panel discussions.

sigpic
          s u g a r s h a k e r

Comment

Assigned seating only works if you get a good seat, if you get a really bad seat you're stuck there the entire time.

Both systems have their advantages/disadvantages

Comment

Originally posted by Tal View Post
              Assigned seating only works if you get a good seat, if you get a really bad seat you're stuck there the entire time.

Both systems have their advantages/disadvantages
              You're right, there are pros and cons to both seating arrangements. But I do lean towards reserved seating after my experience at Gate Con.
              sigpic

Comment

That 'other' con uses reserved seating based on ticket number for all it's events, not just the Q&A. Buying a ticket early may get a good seat, but not always depending on how many were bought before 'yours'. Having a camera with a good zoom and can take pics in low light without flash works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
                  That 'other' con uses reserved seating based on ticket number for all it's events, not just the Q&A. Buying a ticket early may get a good seat, but not always depending on how many were bought before 'yours'. Having a camera with a good zoom and can take pics in low light without flash works for me.
                  I have gone to cons that have reserved seating back in the days of owning a film camera. It was nice to be closer to the stage. Seat by badge number would be nice because I am in the first 100. Does anyone know if using the night time setting on a digital camera works better at a con? I have had my camera for a 2 years and I still don't know everything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by griffindorgirl View Post
                    I have gone to cons that have reserved seating back in the days of owning a film camera. It was nice to be closer to the stage. Seat by badge number would be nice because I am in the first 100. Does anyone know if using the night time setting on a digital camera works better at a con? I have had my camera for a 2 years and I still don't know everything about it.
                    I have been discussing a plan with the Con Chairs to handle the fact that our ballroom will not fit all of the attendees at one time if we get PITS. We would have to do things differently, but the details are still being fine tuned.

In general though, I will tell you some of the reasons that we have not gone to Reserved seating.
                    1) The primary reason is the leaving of empty seats during other guests. I have seen empty seats during Q&As of "lesser" guests and found that to be very rude. Meanwhile, the people that really wanted to see those other guests are sitting rows back, behind the empty seats.
                    2) The seating based on badge number would not work for the same reason. We have a lot of people that buy their memberships regardless of who the guests are. They may not even watch any guests at all- they're there for other programming. They would never use their seats and that would leave empty seats all weekend that would be better used by fans that wanted to see the guests.
                    3) Manpower, or the lack thereof. Registration and Programming probably already want to throw things at me --- they're going to be more than overwhelmed. It's not just seating, but scheduling, ticketing, etc. Meanwhile, Registration is run by a couple of folks with full-time jobs and not enough time to do everything that they're already required to do.
                    4) Cost -- most conventions that use Reserved Seating use it as a way to make money. We try very hard to keep our costs as low as we possibly can and never wanted to be seen as gougers. We want every convention goer to be equal to every other con goer. We don't like the "Haves" and the "Have Nots" attitude at some conventions. No Gold Tickets that include seats and autographs while General Admission gets the privilege of sitting in the back.
                    While we do have to charge extra for things like Photo Ops - we try very hard to keep things equal for all. If we do get PITS, there are likely to be other things that we don't normally charge for - but it will be just for that one guest. Everything else will remain the same.

We'll come up with something - short of knocking down walls to create a larger room, of course.

Kett
                    Last edited by Kett1701; 20 January 2009, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kett1701 View Post

1) The primary reason is the leaving of empty seats during other guests. I have seen empty seats during Q&As of "lesser" guests and found that to be very rude. Meanwhile, the people that really wanted to see those other guests are sitting rows back, behind the empty seats.
                      2) The seating based on badge number would not work for the same reason. We have a lot of people that buy their memberships regardless of who the guests are. They may not even watch any guests at all- they're there for other programming. They would never use their seats and that would leave empty seats all weekend that would be better used by fans that wanted to see the guests.
                      guest. Everything else will remain the same.
                      these thoughts came to me as well after last year.. that was the first year i really noticed seat saving becoming an issue.. but shore leave has such a large number of guests to choose from because it is not just a star trek or stargate con.. i am one of the ones that buys a ticket without caring who will be there.. i've had fun every year and don't regret it at all.. and if one year there isn't really anyone i want to see or i just can't afford the trip, (hasn't happened yet) well it wasn't that much money really compared to some of the other cons i've gone to and it's going to support a great event!

i know i do not go to see every guest... although there have been times i wish i had after sneaking in during the last few minutes of a panel to try for a decent seat and ending up really enjoying those last few minutes of the previous panel..

the only real solution to the seating issue would be enforcing shore leave's policy on seating but that would require some very persuasive armed guards when dealing with some of the "seat savers"... anyone willing to foot the bill for that one?? lol..

We'll come up with something - short of knocking down walls to create a larger room, of course.

adding demo tools to list of items to pack just in case you change your mind on that one

Comment

On a totally different subject - I hope that everyone got to watch the Inauguration. For the first time since I moved away - I wished that I was back in DC. I would have gladly stood in the cold to participate in such a historic moment.
                        It doesn't matter what your politics are - whether you're Democrat or Republican or Green Party or whatever -- the fact is that Democracy is working and as long as you were born in this country anyone can aspire to become the President of the United States (sorry Governator - you're not eligible).
                        I have stood on the very spot at the Lincoln Memorial that Dr. King stood on for his I Have a Dream speech and tried to imagine what it must have looked like to him to see the sea of people of all races standing together. Today President Obama got to see a million strong of all races and religions standing together as Americans, united and strong.
                        How does this tie to SciFi? Well, speaking as a Trekker from way back -- this is the world that Gene Roddenberry would have approved of. Remember - Star Trek was done in the 60s - and there was an Asian, a black woman, even a Russian on the bridge. There were black Admirals in Starfleet!
                        The universe that The Great Bird of the Galaxy envisioned was color-blind and only judged based on ability. Today - we have made a huge step towards making that vision come true.
                        Today I am proud to be an American.

Kett

Comment

On a totally different subject - I hope that everyone got to watch the Inauguration. For the first time since I moved away - I wished that I was back in DC. I would have gladly stood in the cold to participate in such a historic moment.
                          It doesn't matter what your politics are - whether you're Democrat or Republican or Green Party or whatever -- the fact is that Democracy is working and as long as you were born in this country anyone can aspire to become the President of the United States (sorry Governator - you're not eligible).
                          I have stood on the very spot at the Lincoln Memorial that Dr. King stood on for his I Have a Dream speech and tried to imagine what it must have looked like to him to see the sea of people of all races standing together. Today President Obama got to see a million strong of all races and religions standing together as Americans, united and strong.
                          How does this tie to SciFi? Well, speaking as a Trekker from way back -- this is the world that Gene Roddenberry would have approved of. Remember - Star Trek was done in the 60s - and there was an Asian, a black woman, even a Russian on the bridge. There were black Admirals in Starfleet!
                          The universe that The Great Bird of the Galaxy envisioned was color-blind and only judged based on ability. Today - we have made a huge step towards making that vision come true.

Kett
                          Great comments, Kett! I know we generally stay away from politics on this forum, but I am also a very happy camper today.

I remember Nichelle Nichols' comments at Shore Leave in 2007 about how Uhura provided a role model for little girls all over the world. To see a woman (and a person of color as well) as a valuable member of the bridge crew sent a powerful message to what was then an America in transition.

She was so right! I remember! I was watching.

Comment

Kett
                            Roddenberry would have been thrilled and proud that his vision for the future is finally coming true! "The Great Bird of the Galaxy" is definitely smiling down on us today! God Bless us!
                            sigpic

Comment

I have been discussing a plan with the Con Chairs to handle the fact that our ballroom will not fit all of the attendees at one time if we get PITS. We would have to do things differently, but the details are still being fine tuned.

In general though, I will tell you some of the reasons that we have not gone to Reserved seating.
                              3) Manpower, or the lack thereof. Registration and Programming probably already want to throw things at me --- they're going to be more than overwhelmed. It's not just seating, but scheduling, ticketing, etc. Meanwhile, Registration is run by a couple of folks with full-time jobs and not enough time to do everything that they're already required to do.
                              SNIPPAGE!

Kett
                              One long reply to this.....AAHHHHHHH!!!

The seating dilema was discussed briefly after Shore Leave 30. What was suggested was that any seats open so many minutes before the Q & A's were up for grabs. This would leave sufficient time for restroom breaks or what not excuses for said empty seats. We would have to be very strict in this respect. This is just one option so far.
                              I do know that if Pits attends, there will have to be changes in many different areas.

Kett
                              Here! Here!

Originally posted by sugarshaker View Post
                              I'm anxiously awaiting word. Seeing PITS twice in one year would be incredible!
                              I think you meant that this would be two years in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                                I think you meant that this would be two years in a row.
                                I think she means in a 12-mth. period...

Comment

Working...
                                X