Shore Leave 31 July 10-12,2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
    I have a question since I'm not familiar with the area. How far away is the con hotel from the airport?
    It is about 30 miles. Check our website for various transportation possiblities. Shuttles and Light Rail are both mentioned on there. I'm going to ask the webmaster to look into updating the Light Rail info -- I know that part of it was not running last year, but that might be done now.

http://www.shore-leave.com
    Go to the Transportation button on the left hand side of the Main Page.

As for someone's question about Friday activities -- the Con opens at 2pm. Many of the actors will be set up at that time for autographs and the Dealers' Room will be open. We will have some actor Q&As/events Friday evening starting at around 6pm or so.

Kett

Comment

Did some checking and found out the con hotel is 30 miles from the Baltimore Airport, and a taxi would cost about $65....one-way.
      Depending on the number of bags you have if the light rail is between the airport and Hunt Valley this year it is cheap and not a bad trip. I have done that before, the light rail stops at the airport.

There is also a super shuttle that you can take from the airport to the hotel that is not to bad price wise and you can purchase a round trip ticket with them when you fly out.

The first year I went to Shore Leave I took the Super Shuttle to the hotel. Then after the con I stayed an extra day to do a little sight seeing in Baltimore. I took my bags and dropped them off at the Marriott down town and when we where done sight seeing we picked up our bags and took the light rail to the airport. We had taken the light rail down town from the hotel.
      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Has anyone actually tried using the 'Shore Leave' link to the hotel website? It says the group rate is available but when I click to search for rooms it says Group Rate Not Available For Requested Dates.

Is the hotel sold out? I hate using the phone and was hoping I could book on the website.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nakedwesley View Post
          Has anyone actually tried using the 'Shore Leave' link to the hotel website? It says the group rate is available but when I click to search for rooms it says Group Rate Not Available For Requested Dates.

Is the hotel sold out? I hate using the phone and was hoping I could book on the website.
          Sorry, you can't. The reason is that the entire hotel is our room block. If anyone other than those attending our convention attempt to book on our weekend they will be told that we are sold out. Rooms only appear online if they are available to everyone, which ours are not.
          In the long run it makes things MUCH nicer for everyone because every person staying at the hotel is there for the convention. It leads to much more of a "family" atmosphere among the convention goers.

In order to make a reservation you must call the hotel and ask for Reservations. They will forward your call to the Reservation Center. Be sure to tell them that you are with Shore Leave when you make your reservation.
          410-785-7000

Kett

Comment

Originally posted by Kett1701 View Post
            Sorry, you can't. The reason is that the entire hotel is our room block. If anyone other than those attending our convention attempt to book on our weekend they will be told that we are sold out. Rooms only appear online if they are available to everyone, which ours are not.
            In the long run it makes things MUCH nicer for everyone because every person staying at the hotel is there for the convention. It leads to much more of a "family" atmosphere among the convention goers.

In order to make a reservation you must call the hotel and ask for Reservations. They will forward your call to the Reservation Center. Be sure to tell them that you are with Shore Leave when you make your reservation.
            410-785-7000

Kett
            That explains a few things. Just out of curiosity, I went to expedia and checked on a flight and hotel, but the hotel said no rooms available for requested dates.

Comment

Originally posted by Kett1701 View Post

410-785-7000

Kett
              Thanks for clearing that up. Although, it might be less confusing if the Shore Leave site didn't say you could, and then link to the Shore Leave Marriott webpage, that also says you can. *scratches head*

I do think it's cool that you guys can book the entire hotel.
              sigpic

Comment

Sue, you have to actually call and mention Shore Leave to get the rates for the hotel. They might be sold out by now but there are two other hotels within site of the Marriot if it is indeed sold out. There's the Embassy and the Marriot Courtyard. Both are within walking distance but it's dangerous due to the very busy intersection separating the hotels. Better to drive as there is lots of parking available.

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                  Sue, you have to actually call and mention Shore Leave to get the rates for the hotel. They might be sold out by now but there are two other hotels within site of the Marriot if it is indeed sold out. There's the Embassy and the Marriot Courtyard. Both are within walking distance but it's dangerous due to the very busy intersection separating the hotels. Better to drive as there is lots of parking available.
                  Yep, it's a busy 4 lane highway but keep posting on this thread to see if someone needs a roommate at the con hotel or if folks are at a hotel across the road with a car, they will give you a ride to/from. I'm sure something can be worked out but get a reservation somewhere NOW!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                    Originally posted by nell View Post
                    Yep, it's a busy 4 lane highway but keep posting on this thread to see if someone needs a roommate at the con hotel or if folks are at a hotel across the road with a car, they will give you a ride to/from. I'm sure something can be worked out but get a reservation somewhere NOW!
                    I'll call the hotel and see if there are any rooms available.

Comment

Did some checking and found out the con hotel is 30 miles from the Baltimore Airport, and a taxi would cost about $65....one-way.
                      Time to and from airport/hotel varies depending on time of day - commute hours can be murder but outside of 6a-9a and 3p-7p, it's not bad.

My friend and I usually do some guest transportation and have a car available which we can use to get friends in between. When would you be coming? We usually come up on Thursday and get settled into our room before we have other duties to do. We usually stay through to Monday.
                      Jill
                      Welcome to MY life!

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSamFan View Post
                        Time to and from airport/hotel varies depending on time of day - commute hours can be murder but outside of 6a-9a and 3p-7p, it's not bad.

My friend and I usually do some guest transportation and have a car available which we can use to get friends in between. When would you be coming? We usually come up on Thursday and get settled into our room before we have other duties to do. We usually stay through to Monday.
                        Jill
                        Since the flights from my location to that area are few and far between, I'll be arriving at O dark 30...or sometime after 5:00pm. I'll probably arrive Thursday evening because I'd miss events if I arrived on Friday. I planned on staying until Monday

Comment

I just got my confirmation. I'm 126. Every year I have been under 100 for the past 4 years. I hope that the line goes fast so I can get some dinner before Masquerade. I am hoping to have time to get something hot to eat. Last year's sandwich maker is making a return trip to shore leave. I ate alot better because of the sandwich maker last year. Somebody bought me a cook book for the sandwich maker that I have since tried and loved alot of the recipes. I am planning on a Wegmans stop on thursday evening to stock the cooler for the weekend. I am brining some stuff with me but I am going to purchase some of the food at Wegmans like lunch meat.

Comment

Since the flights from my location to that area are few and far between, I'll be arriving at O dark 30...or sometime after 5:00pm. I'll probably arrive Thursday evening because I'd miss events if I arrived on Friday. I planned on staying until Monday
                            Traffic.... *shakes head* To play devil's advocate and give you the worst case scenario - The Baltimore Beltway (I-695) will be more stop than go (like it was this morning and afternoon in the heavy rain!). Add rain or accidents, figure on an hour. But sometimes (esp. summer) it can fool you and traffic'll move along fine. From the I-95 to I-70 exits it's heaviest and lightens a bit as you move up near I-83 (that takes you up past Hunt Valley).

And LOL! No fair Kett, keeping us guessing like that! (can we expect any hints in the near future????)
                            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                              Traffic.... *shakes head* To play devil's advocate and give you the worst case scenario - The Baltimore Beltway (I-695) will be more stop than go (like it was this morning and afternoon in the heavy rain!). Add rain or accidents, figure on an hour. But sometimes (esp. summer) it can fool you and traffic'll move along fine. From the I-95 to I-70 exits it's heaviest and lightens a bit as you move up near I-83 (that takes you up past Hunt Valley).

And LOL! No fair Kett, keeping us guessing like that! (can we expect any hints in the near future????)
                              ShimmeringStar, I agree with you on the traffic. I come in from western MD and I hit traffic when I hit I-695. Last year, I got stuck about 2 miles from the exit to 83 north. It took me about 10 minutes to get the 2 miles. I am going to leave a little later this year. I figure if I leave home at 10 am, I might hit the beltway by noon.

Kett, pretty please some hints of guest in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by griffindorgirl View Post
                                Kett, pretty please some hints of guest in the near future.
                                Well, I don't expect to get anywhere with anyone during the holiday season. However, I have an offer out to the "Pie In the Sky" guest. I actually got a face-to-face with that guest last weekend -- but it was hard to read him/her. I have my doubts that I'm going to get anywhere -- but I'm going to give it until mid-January before I give up entirely.

I have two Main Cast Stargaters in my sights for when it falls thru on "Pie in the Sky". They have the same rep, so I'd be making the deal for both at the same time.

I also have two Trek related actors that like to work together as a team. They have a comedy performance that they do together that would be great fun on Friday night. One of those actors also has ties to another genre show.

One person that I will strongly hint at because the deal is verbally done -- I just have to write the contract and get it signed -- but that's a formality. Back by popular demand will be............sorry, I can't officially say until we get it done.
                                Suffice it to say -- he's young, but not as young as the last time he was on Stargate and definitely not as young as when he was in a Trek movie. He also has spent some time recently with some vampires and expects to be in the sequels as well.

As for the other bookings, that will all depend upon how the deals work out (or not) with the actors that have already been contacted.

Kett

Comment

Working...
                                X