No announcement yet.

The secrets on how to make artwork of the Sam/Jack ship family thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely "Bones" art, luvnjack. Gotta say that I like this series more and more. The interaction between Booth and Brennan is top class.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wine_buyer View Post
      I quess I'll have to wait for Oma, Jumble or Sarai to let me know. I though it had to be a manip that looked completely natural (as though the picture was taken that way) so brushes would be an added "un-natural" element. I'm not sure
      I don't think we really stipulated any rules with this challenge, but as far as I'm aware the point of a "manip" wood be to make it look natural, i.e. no brushes or textures. But like I said there really are no rules to stick to as such.

That doesn't really help does it .

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post
      Okay, looking for a little feedback. I'm doing artwork for the Bones social group...

[]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/missnjack/Artwork/th_100epsbones.jpg[/]

More versions to follow, as I feel I should make some non-shippy offerings, too.
      Loving the Bones artwork LJ, it's looking really good. Can't wait to see some more

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
        Tigers don't eat me. We're pals!

Sure. What do you want tuts on? The sigs or the icons... or both?
        Why does this not surprise me?

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
        Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
        Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

My new Ammie´s avatars

Willen, Teslen and totally addicted to Helen Magnus! Amanda's fan.
          / Twitter / FanFiction / CZ Blog /

Comment

^ great stuff.
            third one is my fave!
            "Are you like, a crazy person?"
            "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Gorgeous work everyone! The manips are all so very well done - I'm not generally a fan of manips but you've all done them so well Love the icons and things too Jas, Kitten and samantha, and LJ the Bones artwork is great, really effective

My mojo has not been very perky this week
              sigpic
              Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                Tigers don't eat me. We're pals!

Sure. What do you want tuts on? The sigs or the icons... or both?
                Just the sigs. Thanks for doing this.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                  Why does this not surprise me?
                  I dunno.

Originally posted by Samantha.Majka View Post
                  My new Ammie´s avatars

<snip>
                  Lovely work She has such a nice smile. *sigh*

Originally posted by Valerie_Jackson View Post
                  Just the sigs. Thanks for doing this.
                  OK. I should have them up shorty.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                    <snip>

My mojo has not been very perky this week
                    Same here. Actually, it's because I've used practically all my textures and such a million times. I just don't know if there're any more combinations to be had...

Uh, don't want to sound greedy, but are there any cool textures I've missed on here? Shadows and light, and maybe something blue or green? I'd really appreciate some stuff Thanks in advance!!
                    sigpic
                    ~the guitarists~

Comment

Tut
                      Spoiler:

These were my base images. Started of with the first one. I used the smudge tool to spread the background from the pic across the entire sig. Then added the second pic, blending mode set to Soft Light. And then put the third pic on top.

2. I merged all the layers (or you can make a stamp), duplicated it and set it to Soft light

3. Put this texture under the previous layer so that the clouds are at the bottom of the sig, and set the blending mode to Lighten, Opacity 35%.

4. New Adjustment Layer -> Curves

RGB:
                      point 1: output 140, input 100

This will brighten up the sig

5. New Adjustment Layer -> Selective color

reds: -90; 21; 0; 0
                      yellows: 0; 0; 100; 0
                      blues: 10; 0; 0; 0
                      magnetas: -25; 0; 0; 0
                      neutrals: 2; 11; 5; 0

This will make the colors more vibrant

6. Black&White gradient map set to Soft light, opacity 65%

7. Then I made a stamp (or you can merge the layers). Sharpened it and added Reduce Noise filter.

8. Then I added this texture Set to Screen. I put it in the left corner

9. Set to Soft Light, opacity 50%, and I erased the parts that were covering the dragon.

10. Set to Screen, opacity 35%. Again I erased the parts covering the dragon.

11. I put on some text brushes with white color on a new layer, and lowered the opacity on that layer to 45%.

12. Wrote 'Spyro' with a font called Fairydust, and added a 3 point stroke around it.

13. And last I made a 1 point stroke around the entire sig.

Tut
                      Spoiler:
                      1. Started of with this texture. Flipped it horizontally. Added all the Helen pictures and positioned them the way I wanted them. Erased everything I didn't need.

2. Then I added this texture. Set to Screen on top of each of the small pics.

3. Made a stamp (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E in photoshop) and duplicated it. Set the first stamp to Screen and the second to soft light.

4. Then went back down and between the texture and the Helen pics I added a Curves layer.

Output 55; Input 225;

This will bring the curve way down and make the background texture a little bit more visible.

5. Next I added a a Selective color layer to make the faces more red and the hair darker with almost greenish tones.

reds: -56; 78; 37; 0
                      yellows: -51; -33; -23
                      neutrals: 26; 6; 6

6. Added this gradient map set to SoftLight, Fill 35%, to make the whole sig a little bit more brown.

7. Another Selective color layer, that does pretty much the same thing as the previous one

red: -43; 19; 15; 0
                      yellows: 0; -57; -67; 0
                      neutrals: 22; 0; 0; 0

8. This Gradient map set to Soft Light, Fill 70%. It will add a little contrast to the sig, without messing with the colors to much.

9. On a new layer I made a 2 point stroke that went around the small pics in black color and set it to SoftLight. It's not very noticable, but it adds a nice touch.

10. Again I made a stamp, sharpened and blured were it was needed.

11. Another stamp. I erased everything except a 5 pixels rectangle close to the edges, and Inverted the layer (Ctrl+I).

12. Finished of everything with a 1 point stroke around the entire sig.

Any questions, just ask.
                      sigpic

Comment

Wow, you are great! I grabbed all those textures that you used. (Unfortunately I stink at tutorials and plus I only have GIMP, but I might be able to figure something out on my own ) Thanks!
                        sigpic
                        ~the guitarists~

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c_PI View Post
                          Wow, you are great! I grabbed all those textures that you used. (Unfortunately I stink at tutorials and plus I only have GIMP, but I might be able to figure something out on my own ) Thanks!
                          I consider tutorials to be just guidelines. Something to give you an idea, but completely following a tutorial is almost impossible. Plus most of the fun is figuring stuff out on your own.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by es! View Post
                            It's gorgeous! *virtual green*

I've finished my Challenge entry!

spoiler for size:

*runz in*

I'm not gonna be able to make the Challenge Post tonight, but I'll be able to do it tomorrow around lunch time. Sorry to keep you waiting

*sees es's Ripple Effect* Jack #4 is MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*runz back out*
                            sigpic

Comment

No worries, Oma!

And I agree with Jas about the tuts - I never actually work through tuts, but it's fantastic to see how someone achieved a particular effect, so that next time I'm making something myself I can try out the same thing and see what it does
                              sigpic
                              Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Jas, these are awesome tuts for very beautiful sigs
                                Too bad I can't green you...

I have a question: what is "1 point stroke" and "3 point stroke"? O.o

Oma,
                                I'll let Sam know #4 is yours. She'll kiss him just a little bit then
                                And I agree with Josi. No stress with the big post
                                "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                                "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Working...
                                X